Start by marking “Living Large in Our Little House: Thriving in 480 Square Feet with Six Dogs, a Husband, and One Remote--Plus More Stories of How You Can Too” as Want to Read:

Based on the successful blog, Living Large in Our Little House, the book is a practical and inspirational memoir about the joy and freedom of tiny house living.

Traditionally, the American Dream has included owning a house, and until recently that meant the bigger the better. McMansions have flourished in suburbs across the country, and as houses got bigger we filled them w
Published June 7th 2016 by Reader's Digest (first published October 20th 2015)

Start your review of Living Large in Our Little House: Thriving in 480 Square Feet with Six Dogs, a Husband, and One Remote--Plus More Stories of How You Can Too
Diane
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Have you ever wished you could downsize and declutter your home, and learn to get by with less stuff? This is basically a how-to book for anyone wanting to live more frugally and have a smaller carbon footprint.

Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell and her husband live in a "little lake house" on the Arkansas side of the Ozarks. Their lake house is less than 500 square feet, but the couple also built a small writer's studio for Kerri, and they have a storage shed on the property. Still, it's a small house.

The
Sue
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for anyone considering the small house lifestyle, or just interested in downsizing their possessions. It gives practical, realistic advise and suggestions. But it's more than that. It's the story of Kerri and her husband and how they came to live in their little house. It's also the story of her mom and her mom's dream to provide a beautiful, comfortable home for her family and how that dream ended when an unexpected change happened in her life. And how that changed Kerri's ...more
Annette
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first tiny house book I have read that isn't by a minimalist.
Angela Eldering
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Such a though provoking read! I really enjoyed this and highly recommend it to anyone thinking of downsizing.
Tanvee Agrawal
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This book resonates well with a lot of my opinions. I love to live clutter free, spaciously in my cozy spaces. The book gives you a journey through Kerri's childhood till now and how she ended up living in a 480 sq. ft. space. There are chapters about pets, home decor, spending time with nature and many others and every grown up has his own perspectives on this. As these chapters didn't interest me much, I give a 3 star. I am a reader of books of such sorts and it is always good to be reminded o ...more
Christina Dudley
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm dying to purge all our stuff and sell our house and live in a tiny one-story with a kitchen, family rm, bedroom, bath, and porch/deck. I've still got three kids and everyone's life going, however, so we're stuck with the too-big house and yard I don't want. Good ideas in this book for the future, tho. I'm sorry to hear we probably would have to move someplace rural because of zoning laws in cities. I'd love to buy a tiny house in a nice little development of tiny houses--like a mobile home p ...more
Jessica
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell was unintentionally at the beginning of the tiny house movement. When she was a teenager her parents bought their dream home, but within five years their circumstances had changed so much that they had to sell it. Kerri could see how devastated her mom was to have to sell that house and when Kerri and Dale married they immediately bought a large, split-level house and filled it with new furniture and collections. When they had been married almost 20 years they had the opp ...more
Beth
Interesting and well written memoir about one woman's journey though life and various houses and how and why she and her husband decide to build and live in a small house (480 sq. ft.). She looks at the tiny house movement and the "living large" philosophy. She weaves in stories of other people who live in tiny houses and how and why it worked, or didn't work for them. This is more of a practical guide to help you decide if this might be a good idea for you, and gives you questions to ask yourse ...more
Mischa
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very easy to read, with lots of practical tips and considerations I hadn't thought about related to tiny house living. Just a little too much personal backstory for my taste. I don't want to downplay the practical value of this book because I did come away with some useful information, but I found myself skimming through a lot of anecdotes that didn't add a lot of value for me.
Sharon Waldrop
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In today's world of the "McMansion" and competition on who has the largest house, who has the most prestigious zip code, and who is busier than anyone else, it is refreshing to read about the best things in life. These are the things that are simple and come in small sizes.
Carmen
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: house
A combination memoir and how to book on living in a smaller home than is customary. The couple moved to what was supposed to be their vacation home because of the economy and realized it was the right fit for them. I especially liked her tips and website information at the end.
Shelley
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book had some interesting and helpful information about tiny home living. While Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell’s approach to tiny living isn’t exactly what I would be after, the book did provide some tips on things to look into should I decide to move forward with this living concept.
Kris
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This has some interesting stories and tips and things to consider for living in a small space. There are good photographs as well. Some of it feels a little dated, but this covers the basics pretty well.
Lynda
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very inspirational.
Patsy
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book is a conversation with an expert about the practicalities and realities of small house living. Sure, it's packed with information about local laws and regulations, legal considerations, and important contacts.

“Living Large in Our Little House” quickly dispatches the trivial. The legal or official definition of “tiny house” is not as important as how many square feet works for you. Kerri moves on to what you can afford, how much space you require to live comfortably and can you, your sp
Luanne Ollivier
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell has chronicled her housing downsize and in her blog Living Large in Our Little House.

She's taken that a step further in her new book Living Large in Our Little House: Thriving in 480 Square Feet with Six Dogs, a Husband, and One Remote--Plus More Stories of How You Can Too.

Kerri and her husband Dale downsized when financial straits moved them into a 480 sq. foot house in the Ozark mountains. Kerri and Dale discovered that less is truly more - less stuff equals financi
Cindy Hudson
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell and her husband Dale built their 480 sq. ft. home on a lake in the Ozarks, they had no idea they would end up living in it full time, or that they would be at the forefront of a tiny house movement across the country. Yet since 2007 they have shared these tight quarters with up to six dogs at a time, and Kerri gives advice to others on how they can transition to smaller abodes as well.

In Living Large in Our Little House: Thriving in 480 Square Feet with Six Dogs, a H
Mason
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The new trend to down-size and declutter has transcended into how people are viewing housing structures in the past few years.
Tiny houses have a lot to offer, but there are problems and pitfalls with the decision to live smaller. Author Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell shares her family’s joy at moving into a 480 square foot house. However, she also details the hardships they encountered to make their little house a dream.
For anyone thinking of moving into or building a tiny house, LIVING LARGE IN OUR LI
Judy Adams
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you have ever thought about living in a tiny house, this book will answer some of your questions. An entertaining book about the lives of Kerri and Dale Campbell. Would I do it, sure but 1. It would have to be one level.
2. Shower, washer and dryer. 3. Well insulated. 4. If I had the money to do it. Maybe that should have been #1. Loved all the pictures as well.
Kelly
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, I am getting older and dont need as much space, but, there are alot of factors in a tiny house I had never thought of. My husband and I are considering building one so this gave me tons of insight to what we would need/want and it was very entertaining at the same time.
Kayo
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. I was pleasantly surprised to learn they were from KC area, as many of the areas she mentioned I know about. It has lots of information and it's very well put together.
Susan Csoke
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written story with lovely color photos!!!!! THANK YOU GOODREADS FIRSTREADS FOR THIS FREE BOOK !!!!!
Margaret Cobb
May 27, 2018
Kate
Aug 17, 2019
Leanora
rated it did not like it
Sep 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• F*cked: Being Sexually Explorative and Self-Confident in a World That's Screwed
  • The Big Tiny: A Built-It-Myself Memoir
  • Double Cross (Alex Cross, #13)
  • Fashionopolis: The Price of Fast Fashion and the Future of Clothes
  • The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life
  • The Family Treasury of Children's Stories: Book 2
  • Early Retirement Extreme: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Financial Independence
  • Who Fears The Devil?
  • Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff
  • Serious Writers Never Quit: They Find The Way
  • Clark Howard's Living Large in Lean Times: 250+ Ways to Buy Smarter, Spend Smarter, and Save Money
  • Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive, Live Happy: 101 Stories about Creating Your Best Life
  • The Very Small Home: Japanese Ideas for Living Well in Limited Space
  • Tiny House Style: Ideas to Design and Decorate Your Tiny House
  • The Conscious Closet: The Revolutionary Guide to Looking Good While Doing Good
  • Finding Magic in the Mess: A Path to Greater Presence and More Joy, One Parenting Moment at a Time
  • Miracle in the Mundane: Poems, Prompts, and Inspiration to Unlock Your Creativity and Unfiltered Joy