Start by marking “No Grain, No Pain: A 30-Day Diet for Eliminating the Root Cause of Chronic Pain” as Want to Read:
No Grain, No Pain: A 30-Day Diet for Eliminating the Root Cause of Chronic Pain

No Grain, No Pain: A 30-Day Diet for Eliminating the Root Cause of Chronic Pain

In the tradition of Wheat Belly and Grain Brain; No Grain, No Pain demonstrates the proven link between a gluten-heavy diet and chronic pain and discomfort—and offers a groundbreaking, 30-day, grain-free diet plan to help you heal yourself from the inside out.

More than 100 million Americans suffer from chronic pain according to an Institute of Medicine report released in 2
Published January 26th 2016 by Atria Books (first published January 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about No Grain, No Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Grain, No Pain

Start your review of No Grain, No Pain: A 30-Day Diet for Eliminating the Root Cause of Chronic Pain
Bobbi
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Thought provoking, full of information, a lot of which is not commonly known, this is a good read. However, what he says we need to do to eliminate the grain from our lives is.. frankly, overwhelming. I was depressed after reading this. It's not enough to just eat meat and veggies and fruit, you have to research what the meat was fed, and make sure there are no gmo fruits and veggies, and oh, the worker who picked them happened to have a whole wheat sandwich today, so that's no good either.. Mad ...more
Jules
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-nutrition
Special thanks to my mom for encouraging me to give it a shot. It's the second book that popped up on Amazon when I searched for "managing chronic pain." I began most of the recommendations on Wednesday, and today is Saturday. I feel a noticeable improvement, enough to read more books on the subject. The other one I read had dated research and wasn't worth finishing (yes, I've read two books in one week and plan to read more; I can't overstate the desperation I felt last week). ...more
Sandi Ramirez
I have been searching for years for the reason that my celiac disease can not get under control. On Jan 20 i opened a newsletter from Dr Osborne and read it and bought this book. I read it that night, the entire time saying YES This is Me ...Yes i have that. I decided the next day to go for it and change my life eating habits. IT was not much of a change since i was already most of the way there.

I can not begin to tell you the difference from Jan 21 to Feb 23 it has been. 23 off and much less pa
Lauren
What I enjoyed about this book was there wealth of information that the author was able to provide about how to go about working with gluten sensitivities in your life. I loved that he was able to develop a ray of hope for people who have tried everything else and have lost hope. I especially love that this could be a beginning point for many people that won't have to go through all of the medicines and surgeries to be able to fix themselves.

What I don't like is the fact that this plan is really
Mrs. Murfee
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I started reading this BEFORE New Years so that I can be honest with myself that my eating changes are no part of a "resolution." I had NEVER heard any of this before...I'm in my 40's, have always had a foot in the holistic/alternative medicine door, and had NEVER heard this. While the title can be somewhat misleading "No Pain," this book should be read by all. I, myself, didn't experience pain, per se; however, I had numerous "unrelated" symptoms that were going past the bothersome ...more
melissa
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sadly this is not for me as my love of cheese will not let me follow the program.

There's some great info and correlations. I have drastically cut my white grain intake in the last week and do feel tremendously better, but I'm not ready for such a strict regiment (and neither is my pocketbook).

*Digital review copy provided by NetGalley and the publisher.
Andy Avellan
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you’ve been diagnosed with Celiac Disease or suspect that you might be Gluten-sensitive and have removed gluten from your diet but still are feeling symptoms, keep reading.

What the food industry won’t tell you is that gluten is found in more forms than the commercial “wheat”. Basically anything that is a grain - is gluten! Yes, even coffee. :(

So if you feel have that gluten free bread and pasta for lunch and don’t miss your coffee in the AM, guess what? YOU ARE HAVING GLUTEN.

YOU MUST eliminat
Ellen Sughrue
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease in September 2016. I was eating what the food industry would claim to be "gluten free" but not really feeling much better. This book provides great information about the body and how it reacts to inflammation caused by the proteins in grains. It is very intimidating to make a lifestyle change via this diet, but I'm finally feeling like my old self and it's such a relief. 4 stars because the nightshades and a few other things seemed a bit too extreme for m ...more
Christa Schmelinsky
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Pain is not normal." I highly recommend this book for anyone like myself who lives in constant pain and medical issues which have been deemed "normal" by doctors. I knew I had stomach issues. Dozens of blood tests, colonoscopies, gastroscopies later and I had no answer. It wasn't until I began cutting out certain foods from my diet that I actually started feeling good. I've had it with people suggesting that the gf lifestyle is a trend or a money grab. All I know is that after years of sufferin ...more
Tony
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this as an introductory book to paleo lifestyle. I thought the author wrote in an easy to follow manner. she was funny, and didn't try to belittle her reader by shaming them for not eating paleo. She presented compelling reasons to adopt this lifestyle without being condescending. ...more
Kathleen Hinkley
At Last

My doctor had advised me to go gluten and dairy free but I didn’t realise there were so many mimicking foods, I had struggled to give up dairy but after reading this it no longer has any appeal to me.
Elizabeth
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
A lot of repetition. Eat fruits and veggies.
Stefano
Apr 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
Another book that try to sell you a cure that it's not a cure at all.
It's very similar to other books already written about autoimmune issues...."stop eating 90% of normal foods and your problems will be solved!".
And then they rant on about conventional doctors not fixing the real problems but only offering band aid treatments.

I don't know in what world these functional doctors live but a normal person can't eat such a strict diet forever. It would mean stop living. We are social animals....w
Marjorie McGuire
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent source of information for a person with celiac. It’s frightening to read the lengths a person must go to to protect against every source of contamination from glutens and harmful chemicals. I won’t be doing it full throttle, but at least now I’m armed with information to make more intelligent choices about what I eat. Perhaps guilt will make me a wiser eater and more conscious of lack of exercise and sunlight. Five stars because I believe all that he says, not that I like it all!
Soulinaearthsuit
Oct 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Very informative book, good knowledge to know, will follow it as best as my bank account will allow :)
It's very restrictive and expensive to follow, but one can try as best as you can. This book helps you understand why you feel the way you do if you suffer from chronic pain and a whole list of other symptoms, so if you have any issues, read this book and from there make the choices that will suit you and your pocket.
Debbie
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This book explains how a person can eliminate their medicines by eating no grains or dairy products. His explanations are solid and has much research and actual patients to support his theory. Includes some recipes and specific info about what to eat. Also has several links to videos and web info. I admire people that are able to do this plan as it is a huge undertaking in our world today.
Raine McLeod
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve been in pain for years. If half of what he’s saying about grains is true, I’ll be happy, so I guess I’m gonna try the 30 day thing. This book got a bit ~woo~ at the end, but whatever. I just want to feel better.
Kenzie O'Hara
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Difficult to put into practice.
Jillybb
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I stopped reading midway through. Message clearly received — grain causes inflammation which increases pain. Got it. Still unclear about the causative conclusions being bandied about.
Shirley
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's my go to reference book to stay on track for good eating habits. ...more
Patricia J
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well written and included much information about the sources of gluten and what it does to your body and how to correctly begin a gluten free diet.
Heather Spiva
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very thought-provoking. Extremely helpful for me in understanding gluten intolerance.
Jennifer Schmidgall
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Listened to audiobook. Fantastic information.
Natalie Brooks
Key takeaway: grains and toxins are absolutely everywhere. Air out your house.
Seema Rao
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
The tone of this book is dire: Bread is evil, but it's not just wheat but all these other things. Don't eat them and eat other stuff instead.

H32years Cathlene
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read some chapters twice, lots of information. It helps me understand my connection that life has given me and helps me to deal with it a little better.
Stefan Tochev
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. I'm not one for nutrition / health based books but thought I'd give it a chance after hearing Dr. Peter Osborne interview on the I Love Marketing podcast with Joe Polish and Dean Jackson. Dr. Osborne spends the first half of the book going over the various ways grains affect our health, especially those with gluten sensitivity. Before I even got to the second half of the book (the 30 day No Grain, No Pain challenge) I had already began removing grains, to the best ...more
Nrhs_library
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Peter Osborne offers a different approach to healing from many medical maladies. He believes that not only barley, rye, oats, and wheat should be avoided but expands the list to include all grains. While this may be a challenging diet to follow, more and more functional medicine providers are recommending that patients make dietary changes to improve health, including omitting foods that cause inflammation such as grains.
Stephanie Porter
Very insightful!! I changed my diet (for the better) as a result of the information in this book. Dr. O is passionate about the dangers of gluten in all grains. He goes into detail why you should eliminate gluten from your diet. Great read for someone who is looking to improve their health and life.
Jamie Holloway
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lot of great scientific information to explain the importance of getting rid of the gluten in all grains when you have a chronic illness or pain. I highly recommend this book to read if you have these conditions.

• The Lending Library
  • Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life
  • Alzheimer's Disease: What If There Was a Cure?: The Story of Ketones
  • The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine
  • Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
  • Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
  • Alcheringa - When the First Ancestors Were Created: Ancient Aliens in Australia
  • Gust Front (Posleen War, #2)
  • The Complete Anti-Inflammatory Diet for Beginners: A No-Stress Meal Plan with Easy Recipes to Heal the Immune System
  • Ex-Muslim: How One Daring Prayer to Jesus Changed a Life Forever
  • Boomer (Star Watch, #3)
  • Reborn (Kurtherian Gambit: The Rise of Magic #8)
  • The Uncommon Rider (The Exceptional S. Beaufont, #1)
  • The O'Sullivan Twins
  • The New Health Rules: Simple Changes to Achieve Whole-Body Wellness
  • Rattle the Bones (Vesik, #6)
  • The Noel Letters
  • Destroyer (The Elemental Series, #7)

News & Interviews