Start by marking “No Grain, No Pain: A 30-Day Diet for Eliminating the Root Cause of Chronic Pain” as Want to Read:
No Grain, No Pain: A 30-Day Diet for Eliminating the Root Cause of Chronic Pain

No Grain, No Pain: A 30-Day Diet for Eliminating the Root Cause of Chronic Pain

In the tradition of Wheat Belly and Grain Brain; No Grain, No Pain demonstrates the proven link between a gluten-heavy diet and chronic pain and discomfort—and offers a groundbreaking, 30-day, grain-free diet plan to help you heal yourself from the inside out.

More than 100 million Americans suffer from chronic pain according to an Institute of Medicine report released in
Published January 26th 2016 by Atria Books (first published January 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about No Grain, No Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Grain, No Pain

Start your review of No Grain, No Pain: A 30-Day Diet for Eliminating the Root Cause of Chronic Pain
Bobbi
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Thought provoking, full of information, a lot of which is not commonly known, this is a good read. However, what he says we need to do to eliminate the grain from our lives is.. frankly, overwhelming. I was depressed after reading this. It's not enough to just eat meat and veggies and fruit, you have to research what the meat was fed, and make sure there are no gmo fruits and veggies, and oh, the worker who picked them happened to have a whole wheat sandwich today, so that's no good either.. ...more
Jules
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-nutrition
Special thanks to my mom for encouraging me to give it a shot. It's the second book that popped up on Amazon when I searched for "managing chronic pain." I began most of the recommendations on Wednesday, and today is Saturday. I feel a noticeable improvement, enough to read more books on the subject. The other one I read had dated research and wasn't worth finishing (yes, I've read two books in one week and plan to read more; I can't overstate the desperation I felt last week).
Sandi Ramirez
I have been searching for years for the reason that my celiac disease can not get under control. On Jan 20 i opened a newsletter from Dr Osborne and read it and bought this book. I read it that night, the entire time saying YES This is Me ...Yes i have that. I decided the next day to go for it and change my life eating habits. IT was not much of a change since i was already most of the way there.

I can not begin to tell you the difference from Jan 21 to Feb 23 it has been. 23 off and much less
Lauren
What I enjoyed about this book was there wealth of information that the author was able to provide about how to go about working with gluten sensitivities in your life. I loved that he was able to develop a ray of hope for people who have tried everything else and have lost hope. I especially love that this could be a beginning point for many people that won't have to go through all of the medicines and surgeries to be able to fix themselves.

What I don't like is the fact that this plan is really
Mrs. Murfee
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I started reading this BEFORE New Years so that I can be honest with myself that my eating changes are no part of a "resolution." I had NEVER heard any of this before...I'm in my 40's, have always had a foot in the holistic/alternative medicine door, and had NEVER heard this. While the title can be somewhat misleading "No Pain," this book should be read by all. I, myself, didn't experience pain, per se; however, I had numerous "unrelated" symptoms that were going past the bothersome ...more
melissa
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sadly this is not for me as my love of cheese will not let me follow the program.

There's some great info and correlations. I have drastically cut my white grain intake in the last week and do feel tremendously better, but I'm not ready for such a strict regiment (and neither is my pocketbook).

*Digital review copy provided by NetGalley and the publisher.
Kathleen Hinkley
At Last

My doctor had advised me to go gluten and dairy free but I didn’t realise there were so many mimicking foods, I had struggled to give up dairy but after reading this it no longer has any appeal to me.
Tony
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this as an introductory book to paleo lifestyle. I thought the author wrote in an easy to follow manner. she was funny, and didn't try to belittle her reader by shaming them for not eating paleo. She presented compelling reasons to adopt this lifestyle without being condescending.
Marjorie McGuire
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent source of information for a person with celiac. It’s frightening to read the lengths a person must go to to protect against every source of contamination from glutens and harmful chemicals. I won’t be doing it full throttle, but at least now I’m armed with information to make more intelligent choices about what I eat. Perhaps guilt will make me a wiser eater and more conscious of lack of exercise and sunlight. Five stars because I believe all that he says, not that I like it all!
Debbie
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This book explains how a person can eliminate their medicines by eating no grains or dairy products. His explanations are solid and has much research and actual patients to support his theory. Includes some recipes and specific info about what to eat. Also has several links to videos and web info. I admire people that are able to do this plan as it is a huge undertaking in our world today.
Raine McLeod
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve been in pain for years. If half of what he’s saying about grains is true, I’ll be happy, so I guess I’m gonna try the 30 day thing. This book got a bit ~woo~ at the end, but whatever. I just want to feel better.
Shirley
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's my go to reference book to stay on track for good eating habits.
Jillybb
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I stopped reading midway through. Message clearly received — grain causes inflammation which increases pain. Got it. Still unclear about the causative conclusions being bandied about.
Elizabeth
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
A lot of repetition. Eat fruits and veggies.
Kenzie O'Hara
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Difficult to put into practice.
Seema Rao
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
The tone of this book is dire: Bread is evil, but it's not just wheat but all these other things. Don't eat them and eat other stuff instead.

H32years
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read some chapters twice, lots of information. It helps me understand my connection that life has given me and helps me to deal with it a little better.
Stefan Tochev
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. I'm not one for nutrition / health based books but thought I'd give it a chance after hearing Dr. Peter Osborne interview on the I Love Marketing podcast with Joe Polish and Dean Jackson. Dr. Osborne spends the first half of the book going over the various ways grains affect our health, especially those with gluten sensitivity. Before I even got to the second half of the book (the 30 day No Grain, No Pain challenge) I had already began removing grains, to the best ...more
Christa Schmelinsky
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Pain is not normal." I highly recommend this book for anyone like myself who lives in constant pain and medical issues which have been deemed "normal" by doctors. I knew I had stomach issues. Dozens of blood tests, colonoscopies, gastroscopies later and I had no answer. It wasn't until I began cutting out certain foods from my diet that I actually started feeling good. I've had it with people suggesting that the gf lifestyle is a trend or a money grab. All I know is that after years of ...more
Nrhs_library
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Peter Osborne offers a different approach to healing from many medical maladies. He believes that not only barley, rye, oats, and wheat should be avoided but expands the list to include all grains. While this may be a challenging diet to follow, more and more functional medicine providers are recommending that patients make dietary changes to improve health, including omitting foods that cause inflammation such as grains.
Stephanie Porter
Very insightful!! I changed my diet (for the better) as a result of the information in this book. Dr. O is passionate about the dangers of gluten in all grains. He goes into detail why you should eliminate gluten from your diet. Great read for someone who is looking to improve their health and life.
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
Wow - this is a highly detailed plan to start eliminating pain from your life. It includes many restrictive changes to diet and lifestyle. On the other hand, when you're living with chronic pain you'll do just about anything to be well. Definitely worth the read.
Jamie Holloway
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lot of great scientific information to explain the importance of getting rid of the gluten in all grains when you have a chronic illness or pain. I highly recommend this book to read if you have these conditions.
Wendy Sice
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very interesting, but hard to achieve.
Kris
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: health
Interesting, but not realistic for me.
Ellen Sughrue
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease in September 2016. I was eating what the food industry would claim to be "gluten free" but not really feeling much better. This book provides great information about the body and how it reacts to inflammation caused by the proteins in grains. It is very intimidating to make a lifestyle change via this diet, but I'm finally feeling like my old self and it's such a relief. 4 stars because the nightshades and a few other things seemed a bit too extreme for ...more
Danielle
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings on this book. My mom gave it to me nearly a year after I'd been hospitalized a few times for a sudden battle with dysautonomia, Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (mainly vascular), and GI issues that are currently trying to be solved. A little late to try to care but the title of the book made me immediately know she was worried I'd inherited her celiac disease and just wasn't showing antibodies. This is possible and I had biopsies to test for deterioration yesterday that were ...more
Tammy
Jul 16, 2018 added it
Similar to other "why to go grain free" books.
Dolly Kelley
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have lost 25 pounds since starting the no grains way of nutrition. It is now Oct 15, 2017. I feel so much better. No doubt that my inflammation has decreased. I suffer from multi-causes of inflammation like poly-myalgia rheumatica, fibromyalgia, arthritis, post sacrum fractures, lordosis, bursitis, etc. I keep a pain journal; my pain was often at 7 on a 7-10 scale. Now it is mostly 3. Tho I still suffer from nausea, it is less frequent. I have faithfully maintained a grain free diet. No ...more
Phoenix
Meh. Another book that claims to cure a huge list of ailments by just removing one food. I'm sure it's helped some people. I just get frustrated with anybody who thinks something that helps a portion of the population should apply to everyone. Additionally there were the eye-roll-worthy claims that removing grains are going to heal your emotional pain. Sigh. It would be cool if diet book authors didn't treat their audience like complete idiots.

I was also a little frustrated that he said "gluten

• Eat Dirt: Why Leaky Gut May Be the Root Cause of Your Health Problems and 5 Surprising Steps to Cure It
  • The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor's 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease
  • The Anti-Inflammatory Diet & Action Plans: 4-Week Meal Plans to Heal the Immune System and Restore Overall Health
  • 200 More Slow Cooker Recipes
  • Good Vibes, Good Life: How Self-Love Is the Key to Unlocking Your Greatness
  • Harry Redknapp Book 3
  • Dream On: The Challenge To Break Par In A Year
  • Jamie's Comfort Food
  • Sleep: The Myth of 8 Hours, the Power of Naps... and the New Plan to Recharge Your Body and Mind
  • Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches
  • The Winning of the West, Volume One: From the Alleghanies to the Mississippi, 1769-1776
  • Davy Crockett: His Own Story
  • The Life of Greece (The Story of Civilization, #2)
  • Water: A Natural History