Start by marking “Seize the Night: New Tales of Vampiric Terror” as Want to Read:
Seize the Night: New Tales of Vampiric Terror

Seize the Night: New Tales of Vampiric Terror

A blockbuster anthology of original, blood-curdling vampire fiction from New York Times bestselling and award-winning authors, including Charlaine Harris, whose novels were adapted into HBO’s hit show True Blood, and Scott Smith, publishing his first work since The Ruins.

Before being transformed into romantic heroes and soft, emotional antiheroes, vampires were figures of overwhel
Published October 6th 2015 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Seize the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seize the Night

Sh3lly
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Vampire and Horror Fans
Thank you Netgalley for a digital copy of this to read and review. I do love me some vampire stories, both the romantic ones and the creepy, horror ones. This is an anthology of the horror-type variety.

Overall, this was solid collection of horror stories. I admit with the cover of the shirt-less male on the front, I was expecting something a little more along the lines of this:

Or at least this:

Or at least this:

Some of it was very vampy, of course, but mainly it was stories about flesh-eating monsters. Still good for horror fans.

I knew this wasn't about emo sparkly vampires or sexy muscular ones who were great in bed, etc. But I was expecting less monsters and more old-school vampires. However, this is was still pretty good. I'm glad I read it.

Now for my long-ass breakdown of the stories and how I rated them.

1)Up in Old Vermont - 3 stars (a nice and creepy story involving vampire creatures called the skad)

2)Something Lost, Something Gained by Seanan McGuire - 3 stars (an interesting take on vampires involving fireflies?)

3)On the Dark Side of Sunlight Basin - 2 stars (meh, this one didn't do much for me)

4)The Neighbors by Sherrilyn Kenyon - 2 stars (This was incredibly short and just when it got good, it ended. The only reason I can think to include this is because of the author's popularity.)

5)Paper Cuts - 4 stars (A wonderful story, longer than most of the others... it was creepy and had a very unique take on vampires. One of my favorites in the anthology.)

6)Miss Fondevant by Charlaine Harris - 2.5 stars (This had the potential of being interesting, but ended up just being okay. Harris is into "energy vampires" these days. She's got one in her current Midnight series and it's a similiar premise here. It just didn't do much for me.)

7)In a Cavern, in a Canyon - 1.5 stars - MEH. (I'm starting to wonder where-the-fuck the real vampires are in this freaking book.

8)Whiskey and Light - 2 stars - MEH. (This one was boring although (view spoiler) I just didn't care for the story that came before the ending.

9)We Are All Monsters Here by Kelley Armstrong - 4 stars (This was really good. A dystopian, apocalyptic take on vampires as a contagion-type disaster scenario. I really enjoyed it!)

10)May the End Be Good - 3 stars (This was decent, creepy, and had the horror and gore aspect you'd expect in a book like this.)

OMG I'm only halfway done. This book is too frigging long. I think some of these stories could have easily been left out, to be honest, and it would have make it stronger overall.

11)Mrs. Popkin - 5 stars! (Hahaha, this one was awesome. I am not even sure what exactly happened or what was really going on, but it was creepy and twisted and fun. What a freaky family!)

12)Direct Report - 4 stars (This was really good. More of what I was hoping for with this collection: real vampires. A female accepts a job with a man who ends up being much more than he appears. She gets her revenge after going through some crazy shit. I don't want to say any more because of spoilers. I enjoyed this one a lot, though.)

13)Shadow and Thirst - 2 stars (I couldn't get into this one. It had a cool sci-fi twist to it, but I was bored with the back story and it just wasn't my thing, I guess.)

14)Mother - 3 stars (This was written well and a nicely fleshed-out story about two rivals seeking information about the chupacabra who end up finding another type of monster altogether. Creepy and a good horror tale.

15)Blood - 1 star (I think this was my least favorite out of the anthology. It was some weird Lolita thing and I had no idea what the ending meant.)

16)The Yellow Death - 4 stars (I enjoyed this. It was an apocalyptic deal with vampire-type creatures. It was a decent story with a nice creep factor. Much more along the lines of what I wanted with this.)

17)The Last Supper - 3 stars (This one had an end-of-the-world setting also. A lonely vampire wanders, looking for food and company.)

18)Separator - 3.5 stars (This was a nice horror story set in the Philippines about a creature called a manananggal which is a type of monster vampire that can detach the upper part of its body and fly around with wings looking for victims to eat. Prefers organs to "just" blood-drinking. Unlikable MC who sort of gets what he deserves, but it's also creepy and gross. A good story.)

19)What Kept You So Long? - 3 stars (An entertaining story about a trucker who was infected with vampirism and the hitchhiker he picks up.)

20)Blue Hell - 3 stars (A weird one about an ancient tribe offering sacrifices to a flesh-eating water monster called Chaac.

Review also found at:

Dana
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Vampires/Horror

Often anthologies can be a bit of a risk quality-wise, rarely are all of the stories on par with each other. This spine-chilling collection is the exception. Every story with the unfortunate exception of a couple, were amazing.

Seriously, I struggled to read this book at night because it was so awesomely scary. This collection claims to make vampires scary again and it delivers. I would recommend this to any fan of paranormal fiction.

Even if like me, you are not a fan of horror I still think you w
Althea Ann
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
***** Up in Old Vermont by Scott Smith
A very strong opener to the anthology. At an aimless point in her life, a waitress takes up her regular customer's repeated offer to work for him as caretaker to his Alzheimers'-afflicted wife. Soon, she finds herself ensconced in a remote house, in a small town, and of course she's neglected to inform anyone of her whereabouts. How could anything go wrong?
The story has a bit of a slow buildup - but I thought it was worth it.

**** Something Lost, Something Gained by Seanan McGuire
Who knew t
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
Crap, 544 pages?

I blame this one on Sh3lly.

Review

I love vampires, but short stories not so much. I wanted to read this anyway, because even though I love romanticized vampires (but not whiney emo vampires), I occasionally read about the old school ones. After reading this collection, I can definitely say I prefer them human, or at least humanoid.

There were some standout stories here, some duds. My favorite of the bunch was "What Kept You So Long?" by the auth/> ...more
Frank Errington
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review copy

Christopher Golden is a very busy writer. If a project involves the written word, it seems as if Christopher is willing to give it a go. This includes comics, media tie-ins, YA novels, and books for adults. Oh, and let's not forget editing anthologies.

Christopher's latest project is one such anthology. Seize the Night: New Tales of Vampiric Terror is built upon the premise that "once upon a time vampires were figures of terror...And they can be again."
Kaisersoze
You know an anthology is going to be special when 1) the stories are all new and written for said anthology; 2) the editor has stated his intention to ensure that all the tales will feature vampires that are evil, nasty, ravenous and do not sparkle (I may have added that last bit), and 3) that editor is excellent-writer-in-his-own-right, Christoper Golden.

With those lofty expectations in mind, I'm relieved to report Seize The Night most definitely does not disappoint.

With 21 t
Erin Dunn
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: wishlist
Thank you to NetGalley and Gallery Books for allowing me to read and review an ebook copy of Seize The Night: New Tales of Vampiric Terror. Edited By: Christopher Golden.

Seize the Night is an anthology collection of short stories about vampires.

No, these ARE NOT stories featuring romanticized emo vampire heroes.

This anthology brings back terrifying vampires in new stories from authors such as : Charlaine Harris, John Ajvide Lindqvist, Scott Smith, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kelley Armstrong, Brian Kee
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
As much as I enjoy the more paranormal romance vampire, I will ALWAYS prefer the scary horror kind. This was so refreshing for me to read. I've been wanting more horror lately, and this delivered.

I'm thinking of dedicating all of October for horror because Halloween.

This isn't your sexy times kind of vampires. I loved that.

Christine
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2015-reads
They’re not handsome/pretty or friendly and they do not exercise self-control. They ARE ugly, vicious, gritty and evil. Vampires – just the way I like ‘em!

I’m a bit of a purist when it comes to my vampires. I don’t want Edward and daywalkers – I want creatures of the night and fog … Stoker’s Dracula, Lon Chaney Jr.’s bat, Christopher Lee’s chill, Nosferatu and blood dripping off fangs. “Seize the Night” delivers on all counts.

Christopher Golden has edited this anthology w
Trish
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh, boy, you’re in for a treat. Grove Atlantic, a division of Simon & Schuster has published a book of scary stories from our most popular fiction writers that will put you in the mood to sit around all weekend, munching through the candy meant for trick-or-treaters, and terrifying yourself enough to turn off the TV and keep your eyes peeled until the daylight brings friends to save you.

The collection starts off with Scott Smith’s “Up in Old Vermont” about a thirty-three year old
Jen (Book Den)
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
For me, there is nothing better suited for October than a great horror anthology. I spent this October reading Seize the Night edited by Christopher Golden. It was the perfect choice!

It's been a while since I've enjoyed an anthology as much as Seize the Night. With this list of contributing authors, it's no wonder it was great collection:

Kelley Armstrong • John Ajvide Lindqvist • Laird Barron • Gary A. Braunbeck • Dana Cameron • Dan Chaon • Lynda Barry • Charlaine Harris
Michael Hicks
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Tin Men and Snowblind author Christopher Golden puts on his editor's cap here to assemble twenty-one authors to help the mythic horror figure of the vampire reclaim the horror-filled night.

Seize the Night: New Tales of Vampiric Terror is a highly successful anthology, one that puts vampires back into the shadowy, hidden corners where they belong and makes them creepy, chilling, at times downright frightening, and even occasionally sympathetic. There's nary a sparkly, star-crossed lov
Michelle (Michelle's Book Ends) Shealy
"They came for us, as they always did, when the sun shone high in the safe daytime sky. They pulled us from our coffins, from our beds, from our corners and alleys and pits, and they hurt us; oh, how they hurt us. Driving stakes through our chests as their legends told them they should, and then cutting off our heads...".
from "Paper Cuts" by Gary A. Braunbeck

A great vampire anthology. A collection of short stories written by Charlaine Harris of the show "True Blood" and
Paul Roberts
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this, I really did. And I respect the hell out of the editor's intention to print non-sparkling bloodlust tales ... bravo. BUT, the big mainstream names on this docket don't serve the cause. There is simply too much mediocrity here.

However, two tales hide within this book like black fangs.

"In a Cavern, In a Canyon" by Laird Barron is Barron at his best: isolated locales, strong characters, and an amazing mise en abyme that will have you throwing an extra log on the fire. 5 STA
Bunny
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, read-in-15
Because eternal life means eternal, whether you live inside a puppet of meat or the materials used to produce the pages of a book. Eternal life means eternal.

I could tell you so many things in this review to attempt to convince you to read this collection.

For starters, I could remind everyone that for what feels like months, I've searched for a decent short story collection. I've stumbled across some great short stories, and some decent-ish collections of 3 stars stories. But the ma
Craig
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best original anthologies I've read in years. Usually there are one or two really good stories, a handful that are okay that fill out the table of contents, and a few really bad ones that you have the feeling that the editor commissioned and then had to print because the budget had already been shot on them. In Seize the Night the premise is to re-create horrific, non-sparkly, non-cutesy vampires, the way they made 'em back in the good old days. I thought there were several te ...more
Carrie
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Seize the Night is a collection of new short stories all featuring vampires. These are not the glittery sexy type of vampires but a return to the chill down your spine scary vampires. A challenge was given to the authors to put the horror back into vampire fiction which I think they lived up to wonderfully.

Out of the 20 stories in the collection of course there are some I liked more than others but I'd say I'd probably rate them all between 3-5 stars so I went with 4 stars overall. I'd love to
Cheryl
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
If you like vampire stories than you may want to check out this anthology. However be warned as these vampires are not "Edward" they don't sparkle and they are killers. Lots of blood will be spilled. This is what I enjoyed about this anthology. It was dark and the stories gritty. Although, it seemed that I liked a little less stories than I would have liked. Therefore, this is the reason for my rating on this collection of stories. Yet, I have to comment and say that I have read many vampire sto ...more
Paul Anderson
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Seize the Night, edited by Christopher Golden (Gallery Books, Simon and Schuster, October, 2015, ISBN 978-1-4767-8309-3, $18.00, 544 pages) is a horror anthology about vampires. Golden wanted to put the terror back into vampire legends, and he succeeded.

He collected 21 original stories from some of the best horror writers around. Two common themes connect the stories: surprise twists and good writing. You may also be surprised to discover Tony Orlando described as a real dog in sever
Faith
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, anthology
Overall Impressions

Overall, a very strong collection. Very, very long, but with only a couple of stories that I didn't like!

"Up in Old Vermont", Scott Smith 4 stars

Suitably creepy at the end, but a very slow burn.

"Something Lost, Something Gained", Seanan McGuire 4 stars

Lovely imagery, an unusual 'vampire', and a tinge of horror at the end.

"On the Dark Side of Sunlight Basin", Michael Koryta 3.5 stars

The second part was great, though I didn't think the first part added much to it, and they/>"On/>"Something/>"Up
ardyss
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

My initial thought upon opening my eARC was “holy shit, this book is huge.” And it is. A whopping 544 pages of short stories about some of the strangest vampires I’ve ever read - and by strange I only mean in only a positive way. These aren’t the vampires that exist to steal your heart for the sake of romance and hot sex. They actually want to devour you. Ironically, the cover features a most definitely seductive man covered in blood, but that’s okay.

Of cours
Becky
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Vampires have had a tough time of it lately. Burnout, I mean. They were the HOT topic for quite some time and then the reading public seemed to lose their taste for them. It happens. A glut of books all on one subject generally does mean readers are going to sour to it eventually.

But even if you're in this boat, the new Seize the Night anthology is so worth your time!

The premise of the anthology is simply to make vampires scary once again. The authors (a FANTASTIC lineup)
Cheryl
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Are vampires kinky? I didn't know. - Roger Ebert

SEIZE THE NIGHT is a collection of 20 vampire stories by 21 authors. These are not sexy television out-for-a-romp vampires. These are tear-out-your-throat-without-a-pause terrifying vampires.

I couldn't believe there were so many different ideas of what THAT terrifying vampire would look like or act like. These authors have outdone themselves in the imagination department.

And the stories take place all over the wo
Claudia
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with vampires the summer of 1965 when I bought a used copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula. I was eighteen and I had to read it outside in full sunlight. I have never thought of vampires as romantic characters. I am well aware of what monsters look like, even the pretty ones. But they intrigue me in a way that no other supernatural creature does. I wonder how horrible it would be to have to see everyone that you love grow old and die while you remained youthful and alive by an act of vio ...more
Sharon
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given an electronic copy by Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books and NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Seize the Night is advertised as a collection of vampire fiction, but many of the short stories written by this varied group of horror and paranormal writers were either not about vampires or not scary. For instance, with Up In Old Vermont, the author spent so much time setting the scene that I lost interest. As a regular short story, it might have been successful, but i
Mommacat
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I just finished reading almost 550 pages of vampire stories. Simon & Schuster/Gallery has put together an anthology of new vampire short stories by an assortment of very well known and not so known horror authors and edited by Christopher Golden. I really hate buying anthologies, don't you? You never really know quite what you'll end up with. Well, the ones I knew well I trusted in enough to want to try it. Plus, these are all new stories. That in itself is nice. Did they come through, you a ...more
Jessica at Book Sake
There are so many different styles of vampires and writing in this anthology, I'm sure most people can find a favorite. Hopefully you will discover a new-to-you-author to try out. For me, those that were my favorite authors, were not my favorite stories. The authors I had never tried before ended up being my favorite. Anthologies are the way to go when looking for something new to read.

The vampires in these stories didn't all seem old-school to me as the book description states. They
Hope Sloper
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-like-it
There were some interesting pieces of work in this anthology. All of these short stories offer a unique, and often surprising, take on vampires. I loved that because frankly, I'm sick of vampires being romanticized.

As with most short stories, some of them were so good I hated that they ended. Paper Cuts by Gary A. Braunbeck, We Are All Monsters Here by Kelley Armstrong, Mrs. Popkin by Dan Chaon and Lynda Barry were my favorites. It's not a short anthology, it took me a few days to ge
Margaret Dilloway
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've never read horror before. Being easily nightmare-addled, I never thought it was a good idea (embarrassingly, there was this one time I watched the MTV show TEEN WOLF, just for a few minutes, and had a nightmare about werewolves-- I didn't even watch a scary scene!).

Then I tried one of the tales in SEIZE THE NIGHT, a collection of vampire short stories. The bloodshed wasn't overly graphic (at least in my imagination!) and the writing is absolutely top-notch. There are stories that will give
Irene
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, horror
New short stories from such contributors as Charlaine Harris, John Ajvide Lindqvist, Scott Smith, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Michael Kortya, Kelley Armstrong, Brian Keene, David Wellington, Seanan McGuire, and Tim Lebbon

Simply brilliant. I devoured these stories one by one, like a sugar addict in a candy store finding each to be more delicious than the one that came before. I hated for it to end. From the first story to the final word any horror lover will be unable to put this book do
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Urban Enemies
  • Haunted Nights
  • Out of Tune
  • Magic City: Recent Spells
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
  • Dying for It: Tales of Sex and Death
  • Borderlands 3
  • Cozy Christmas Capers
  • Suspended In Dusk
  • The Big Book of Female Detectives
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more