Start by marking “The Sisters of Versailles (The Mistresses of Versailles Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sisters of Versailles (The Mistresses of Versailles Trilogy #1)

The Sisters of Versailles

(The Mistresses of Versailles Trilogy #1)

A sumptuous and sensual tale of power, romance, family, and betrayal centered around four sisters and one King. Carefully researched and ornately detailed, The Sisters of Versailles is the first book in an exciting new historical fiction trilogy about King Louis XV, France's most "well-beloved" monarch, and the women who shared his heart and his bed.

Goodness, but sisters a
Published September 1st 2015 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sisters of Versailles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sisters of Versailles

Elyse Walters
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
There's a lot of juicy drama in the French court during the early years of the 18th century.

"The Sisters of Versailles' is the first book of a trilogy - its a Historical fiction about King Louis XV, France's most well beloved monarch.... and the five Nesle sisters:
Louise, Pauline, Diane, Marie-Anne, and Hortense. Four of the five sisters became mistresses
to King Louis XV.

Hortense is the only sister who was never a mistress to the King. She was married -and the
first sister to have a child. Al
Lori
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found myself wondering throughout this novel... ' how in the world could this have really happened?'. Four out of five sisters mistresses to the same king. What? It was brilliantly told through the voices of each of the sisters which I think gave the reader a very solid look into their personalities and the dynamics between them. This story is a true testament to the saying 'reality can be stranger than fiction'.
Angela M
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it

History, love and lust in alternating narratives and letters to each other by five sisters during the reign of France's Louis XV , four of whom become his mistresses. All along I kept thinking how could this be ? Did four of these five sisters really become mistresses of this King ? Of course I had to check into it and it's true ! So much for sisterly love when we encounter Pauline at court , but I guess you don't turn away from the King even if he's sleeping with your sister .

This is a period o
Helene Jeppesen
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yes! This book was marvellous! It was one of those stories that made me fear the end many pages before it actually ended, because I didn't want to part with these characters and this world!
First of all, let me just say that even though I received this book for review, this is my honest opinion. I was blown away with how this was written, and I pretty much devoured its 400 pages in two days.
This story is fiction based on facts. It's about France in the 1700s; more specifically the King Louis XV
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I think the most amazing thing about this book is that is actually based on a true story about 4 out of 5 sisters that all became mistresses to King Louis XV. It sounds incredible, but it's really true, and I had no idea about it. I have never ever heard about these sisters before I read the book. The mistress that came after them, well she is well known, but the sweet Louise, the ambitious Pauline, the happy Diane and shrewd Marie-Anne are not as known as Madame du Pompadour.

Anyway, I felt that
Erin
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series

"Truth is stranger than fiction" This saying crossed my mind as I followed the story of 5 French sisters who mange to capture the eye of the French King and find their way to being his mistresses from the 1730's- 1740's. Honestly, if "The Other Boelyn Girl" shocked you, then The Sisters of Versailles" might just "knock the wind right out of you."

The sisters-Louise, Pauline, Diane, Marie-Anne, and Hortense all take turns narrating the story which is a mixture of chapters and letters. S
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
...everyone knows the most important thing is to have the child, not who the father is.

It seems I've developed a taste for historical fiction lately. The Sisters of Versailles is a nice, lovely book about the infamous five Mailly-Nesle sisters (Louise, Pauline, Diane, Hortense and Marie-Anne), four of whom were mistresses to King Louis XV. And it can be quite funny at times, too.

Louise was the first Mailly-Nesle mistress (Louis XV had been a faithful husband until her). She is depicted as kind
Raven Haired Girl
Aug 19, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015
Such a tantalizing story. As I turned the pages I felt as if I was a fly on the wall privy to intimate conversations and interactions. Christie’s layout of the book is in such a personal manner it emphasizes the drama along with tension without hesitation. I felt swept away for a moment in time, very well done.

The four sisters varying personalities and of reading their individual experiences matched with perspectives of King Louis XV made for an inside glimpse feel. The letters exchanged between
Gretchen
Jul 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Have you ever seen the movie Mean Girls? Did you find yourself wondering what would happen if Mean girls were set in 18th century France? Wonder know more! The Nesle sisters are here to answers all your questions! Seriously, this novel read just like Mean Girls set at the French court in the 18th century. The biggest difference between Mean Girls and The Sisters of Versailles? I liked Mean Girls. I still li
Susan Johnson
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am not familiar with French history because, frankly, I have a hard time keeping the rulers straight. There seems to a hundred King Louis. This book is about King Louis XV and his love affair with not one, not two but four sisters. Where is the girl code in that?

It's a fun read. The sisters each tell their own story and they are very different people. They all tell what led up to them being the King's lover and, believe me, the rewards each got are vastly different. Hortense, the only one no
Aditi
“When a man takes a mistress, he doesn't turn around and divorce his wife.”

----Arthur Golden

Sally Christie, an England-born Canadian author, has penned her enthralling debut historical fiction, The Sisters of Versailles that narrates the story of the five infamous Nesle sisters among whom four of them became the mistresses of King Louis XV of France. This story marks as the first book in The Mistresses of Versailles Trilogy and the story accounts the life of each and every sister till their d
Tania
This was a great audio book. There were enough characters to keep you interested, but not too many, so it was never confusing. It was not too heavy on dates and details and thus easy to follow. The narrator did a brilliant job with the voices. The story was light and entertaining, but also informative and sometimes sad. I liked that the five sisters were so different, and it definitely allows for many discussions on who you liked/disliked and why. Although their characters were a bit stereotypic ...more
BAM The Bibliomaniac
The passive-aggressive behavior is thick. And no one likes her mother-in-law.
This is a slow-building book. I e been reading here and there and it’s just recently taken my interest. I’m about a third in.
Julie
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
The Sisters of Versailles by Sally Christie is a 2015 Atria publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have grown to love historical fiction more and more over time and have been looking forward to reading this one.

I didn't know a lot about the Nesle sisters and, of course, found it interesting, to say the least, that four of the five sisters wound up being the mistress to King Louis the XV. Talk about sibling rivalry!

The
Girl From the North Country
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Readers looking for something light, YA,

2 1/2 stars.

The Sisters of Versailles hit the trifecta for me, in terms of interest: book one in a planned trilogy, the story of not one, but 4 Royal Mistresses, & centered in the French court of Louis XV (Louis le bien aimé). Add to that the fact that the mistresses in question had (to the best of my knowledge) never graced the pages of a historical fiction novel, and it easily won a place as one of the two novels I was most looking forward to reading this year.

The Sisters of Versailles i
The Lit Bitch
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four sisters all sharing one king….really?! How does that happen? Well that’s exactly what I wanted to know and that’s why I picked up THE SISTERS OF VERSAILLES. King Louis XV tends to get skipped over in popular literature because there are just so many other King Louis’ that are way more memorable than him….but come on? Four sisters and you make them all your mistress? That sounds like memorable to me!

This story is stranger than fiction! Which is why this book was so fun to read! While it was
Lois
Meh, somewhat interesting. The subject matter is endlessly fascinating, it's disappointing that a fictional account fell short of the actual history.
I'll probably read the next installment as Madame Pompadour is one of my favorite of the French mistresses.
Mystica
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book set in the magnificient court of Louis XV is a wonderfully detailed, descriptive story.
On the one side it deals with the actual happenings of the life and times of Louis XV in all its glory. This includes not just the history and happenings of the Court but the personality and character of Louis XV as a man. On the other side we have the saga of the Nesle family - starting with the children as infants and ending with them as women.

It is hard to imagine the story of the Nesle sisters b
Dawn
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of Phillipa Gregory's or Alison Weir's novels, then you will love The Sisters of Versailles.

Set in the time of Louis XV of France, we follow the story of the de Nesle sisters. Out of the five of them, four became mistresses to the king before the infamous Madame de Pompadour's time.

Little is known about these sisters, at least in English, it's nice to hear a different story of this time.

I felt the author really got each sister as they were:
Louise - poor Louise, boring and naive.
Sonja Arlow
3/1 stars

The story begins with Hortense, the ONLY one of five sisters who did not become mistress to King Louis XV, and who frankly didn’t get a lot of mention in the overall story. Well perhaps because she didn’t really contribute to the juicy scandal upon juicy scandal that her sisters caused. Other than Hortense we have:

Louise is the first at court and the first lover to the King. She is pretty, obedient and easily dominated by almost everyone. An easy mistress to push aside once you are done
Athena Shardbearer

Thank you Mysteries & Crime Thrillers & Atria Books for providing me a copy for review.

"One is almost forgotten,
Another almost dust,
The third is on her way,
While the fourth is waiting
To make way for the fifth.
Loving an entire family
Is that faithlessness or fidelity?"

Set in early 18th century French court, The Sisters of Versailles is centered around four of the five Nesle sisters that become mistresses to King Louis XV over a span of 15 years. These sisters experience love, lust, be
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. "The Sisters of Versailles" takes place during the reign of France's King Louis XV. As much as I read about French and French royalty I really don't know too much about this Louis. Usually, it seems that Louis XIV and Louis XVI seem to be favored subjects for historical fiction. This book talks about a set of sisters where four out of the five sisters become mistresses to Louis XV. The book is told through the perspective of all five of the sisters as well as letters that they write b ...more
Trang Tran (Bookidote)
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
description

Siblings can be tough sometimes. Who am I kidding? ALL THE TIME. LOL. Sisters of Versailles dressed a beautiful portrait of five sisters who will have to fight for a place in the court of Versailles. Temptation, cheating, gossip, backstabbing, pretentious dialogues, lies, you will find it all in this book. I think one of the biggest forte of this book, is Sally Christie’s writing. The Versailles descriptions are simply beautiful, great vocabulary and a great style with grace. I can feel that sh
Kimber
I just read a very serious and emotional book. It wasn't Sisters of Versailles...but the one I read right before it. I'm guessing that is a pre-requisite for reading this because after such a serious, hard hitting emotional ride...I didn't mind the shallow, scheming, Melrose Place-ness of the Mailly-Nesle sisters. As much.
That said...Gads! Louise is a doormat, Pauline is a unfeeling Bitch , Hortense needs the stick removed from her arse, Diane is literally the stupidest character I've ever enco
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Very much in the vein of Philippa Gregory's type of historical fiction but I liked this. I didn't really care for most of the characters themselves, but I was totally involved in their stories! Review to come.
Jenks
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. I liked this account of the different mistresses of the time and the courts take on these women and their influence on the king

I love historical fiction and Versailles really is one of my fave topics to read about so this was a good book to satisfy my desire to learn more
catzkc
Apparently this author likes to troll reviews which are not in her favor.
Carole P. Roman
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another terrific book about the checkered love life of Louis the XV. Sally Christie writes of early years of Louis' marriage. Seven years into the relationship, the courtiers search to find the perfect mistress to keep the king busy and meet their demands. They find a great match with the eldest of the Nesle sisters, Louise. Naive and devoted, she embarks on a love affair that last several years. She is the perfect foil, ready to selflessly serve the king and ask nothing in return. As his ardor ...more
Caroline-Marnix Degeest-Vandenbroeke
Mooi verhaal over zussen in de tijd van Lodewijk , intriges, liefde en haat
Elysium
3,5 stars

I haven’t read much about Louis XV, or about French history in general, and I hadn’t heard about the Nesle sisters before. I’ve heard of Madame de Pompadour and Madame du Barry but that’s about it.

The chapters alternate between the five sisters and it starts with old Hortense remembering what happened in the past.

It’s rather surprising how much I enjoyed this book despite the fact that I didn’t like any of the characters. I hated both Pauline and Mary-Anne, I felt bad for Louise but sh
  • Enchantress of Paris: A Novel of the Sun King’s Court
  • Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow (Marie Antoinette, #2)
  • The Conqueror's Wife: A Novel of Alexander the Great
  • Médicis Daughter: A Novel of Marguerite de Valois
  • Becoming Josephine
  • A Day of Fire: A Novel of Pompeii
  • Portrait of a Conspiracy (Da Vinci's Disciples #1)
  • Annette Vallon: A Novel of the French Revolution
  • The Sharp Hook of Love: A Novel of Heloise and Abelard
  • A Year of Ravens: A Novel of Boudica's Rebellion
  • Athenais: The Life of Louis XIV's Mistress, the Real Queen of France
  • The Vatican Princess: A Novel of Lucrezia Borgia
  • Finding Emilie
  • The King's Daughter
  • The Ambitious Madame Bonaparte
  • Mistress of the Court (Georgian Queens #2)
  • The Red Lily Crown: A Novel of Medici Florence
  • The Shadow Queen

I’m a life-long history buff and I really wish time travel were a possibility—I’d be off to the eighteenth century in a flash!

Since I can’t travel back in time (yet), I have done plenty of global travel: as a child I lived in England, Canada, Argentina, and Lesotho, and attended eight schools in three languages. I continued my global wanderings with a career in international development, but now

The Mistresses of Versailles Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Rivals of Versailles (The Mistresses of Versailles Trilogy #2)
  • The Enemies of Versailles (The Mistresses of Versailles Trilogy #3)
“And I believe determination to be the greatest gift of all. Greater even than beauty, intelligence, or cunning. Determination matters most.” She” 0 likes