Start by marking “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain” as Want to Read:
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

This Deluxe eBook includes over 35 minutes of video featuring Betty Edwards illustrating the core techniques of her enduring classic.

A revised edition of the classic drawing book that has sold more than 1.7 million copies in the United States alone.

Translated into more than seventeen languages, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is the world's most widely used drawing
Kindle Edition, Deluxe, Enhanced, 4th Edition, 320 pages
Published April 26th 2012 by TarcherPerigee (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, please sign up.
Airgam Perfectly ok. The theory behind it is weak to say the least, and the explanations and exercises themselves are more than enough. I would recommend…morePerfectly ok. The theory behind it is weak to say the least, and the explanations and exercises themselves are more than enough. I would recommend reading the chapter on children drawings, though.(less)

Ji
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
A couple of observations about the book:
- I think it can be a good book for beginners, however, it lacks a lot of important information about drawing.
- I don't know if the focus of the book was only to silent the L-hemisphere of the brain or to teach us how to draw. I sense it was more to say that L-hemisphere is not artistry and R-hemisphere is.
- The last two chapters of the book I sensed was more about the Author's own opinions about the way she can use the tools rather than actual facts. One
Casie
Ohh this book. No wonder the college drawing class that required this book frustrated so many of its students as much as it taught them. Having re-read this book in its entirety, I have to say that it's a wonder any of us continued to draw after graduating that class.

If you can ever get past the horrendously warped theology and the interesting, but ultimately aimless ramble through neuroscience, there’s a fairly decent introduction to some useful drawing skills in the final few chapters of this
Laçin
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beklediğim kadar faydalı olmadı :(
Amir
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As an introduction to drawing this book isn't terrible. The entire introduction could be summarized with the sentence, "Draw what you see and stop symbol drawing."

A lot of experienced artists like to recommend this book to absolute beginners just to drill that sentence. Unfortunately the author loves to distract the reader with pseudoscience instead.
Terry-jean
This is a perfect book for an absolute beginner. I expect it would be useful to parents and art teachers as it describes possibilities for students who are not talented or for painters/sculptors who want to return to drawing again, a real confidence booster. Exploring negative form/space and format boundaries is vital to the outcome one struggles for as a visual artist. I am not sure the sketches come across as creatively (ie presented) maybe block coloured backgrounds for a little pizzaz ?? oth ...more
Rebecca
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I find the author convincing, but didn't have the supplies to test her theory before the book's due back to the library. Here's what you need to follow her plan:
-Clear plastic, about 8x10" and 1/16 thick
-two "viewfinders" made of black card-board, about 8x10
-non-permanent black felt-tip marker
-graphite stick #4B
-masking tape
-eraser
-two bidner clips
Apparently you can order these at drawright.com
Kat
This book made my head hurt. I was shown this through a friend and asked to use it - I tried and tried to "get into it" but it seemed too formula-oriented. Perhaps since I already live in the right brain as a left-hander it seemed silly. Perhaps because I am an artist I felt stifled. I cannot tell you the reasons. For some, this might be a wonderful opening. For me, it just made me tired.
Miriam
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I was seriously focusing on teaching myself how to draw, this book gave me confidence to learn skills and keep trying. It's helpful and gentle. I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn how to draw.
Cris Knutson
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
An interesting read, but few new insights.
Laura Milvy
Read it and took the course with her a L-O-N-G time ago
Kasia
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coudn-t-finish
I don't know. I guess it's just not for me....
Chloe Kishbaugh
What I thought well I only read to chapter 10 and that was reLy good so now I will keep reading and see if there are anything else to comment.
Jaycee Cisneros
Matthew Remington
Wasn't that impressed. Some excellent material but parts read like a bad infomercial.
Sylvanas Windrunner
I like it so far.. ((oops..almost said fat XDDD))
Nah
Mar 16, 2012
Sudarsanan.P
Oct 11, 2018
60 tablets in each 1 1 Feb 06, 2019 11:14PM
Warning: These 10 Mistakes Will Destroy Your Testo Drive 365 1 1 Jan 24, 2019 02:32AM
Greater Brain Boosters: Natural Not Manufactured Ways To Brain Durability 3 11 Nov 30, 2018 07:26PM
A Must Read 4 10 Nov 05, 2018 12:54AM
How to utilize SG-11 Brain? 3 2 Sep 25, 2018 02:59AM
Therefore, we complemented the sample 1 4 Aug 16, 2017 11:06PM
http://supplementdigestdog.com/genbrain/ 1 2 May 22, 2017 05:02AM
  • The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to Be The Artist You Truly Are
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Your Creativity
  • An Object of Beauty
  • Drawing People: How to Portray the Clothed Figure
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • Drawing the Head and Hands

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Over the last forty years, many educators, decision-makers, and even some parents have come to regard the arts as peripheral, and let’s face it, frivolous—especially the visual arts, with their connotation of ”the starving artist” and the mistaken concept of necessary talent” 17 likes
“Paper: Some inexpensive plain bond paper A pad of Strathmore Drawing Paper, 80 lb., 11" × 14" Pencils: A #2 ordinary yellow writing pencil with an eraser at the top A #4 drawing pencil—Faber-Castell, Prismacolor Turquoise, or other brand Marking pens: Sharpie (or other brand) fine point non-permanent black A second marker, fine point permanent black Graphite stick: #4 General’s is a good brand, or other brand Pencil sharpener: A small handheld sharpener is fine Erasers: A Pink Pearl eraser A Staedtler Mars white plastic eraser A kneaded eraser—Lyra, Design, or other brand Masking tape: 3M Scotch Low Tack Artist Tape Clips: Two 1-inch-wide black clips Drawing board: A firm surface large enough to hold your 11" × 14" drawing paper—about 15" × 18" is a good size. This can be improvised from a kitchen cutting board, a piece of foam board, a piece of Masonite, or thick cardboard. Picture plane: This too can be improvised using an 8" × 10" piece of glass (you will need to tape the edges), or an 8" × 10" piece of clear plastic, about 1⁄16" thick. Viewfinders: You will make these from black paper—“construction” paper is a good thickness, or you could use thin black cardboard. You will find instructions for making the viewfinders here A small mirror: About 5" × 7" that can be taped to a wall, or any available wall mirror.” 8 likes