Start by marking “Meeting Infinity” as Want to Read:
Meeting Infinity

Meeting Infinity

(Infinity Project #4)

Continuing the award-nominated SF anthology series from multiple award-winning editor Jonathan Strahan.

The world we are living in is changing every day. We surf future shock every morning when we get out of bed. And with every passing day we are increasingly asked: how do we have to change to live in the future we are faced with?

Whether it’s climat
Published December 1st 2015 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about Meeting Infinity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meeting Infinity

Start your review of Meeting Infinity
Andreas
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, science-fiction
A full review of each story is available at my blog
16 views at a "future shock“, or the impact of profound change on human beings. Most authors developed the topic to post-human stories with social elements. Once again, a terrific lineup of authors including names like Bruce Sterling, Kameron Hurley, Nancy Kress, Ian McDonald, or James S.A. Corey. It is Strahan's fourth anthology installation of what he calls "Fourth Generation of SF" which started with Engineering of Infinity (2010) and was carried on with Reach forshock“,
Lindsay
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This entry in the Infinity anthologies is a conversation about what humanity might become and some of the ways that we may change to meet our futures. Like a couple of the other books in this series, many of the stories do take a grim note and for my tastes, the best of them look further afield then warnings about loss of humanity to finding the persistent elements of humanity after the change.

Standout stories for me include:

"Rates of Change" by James S.A. Corey - Humans are i
G33z3r
If there are two repeating themes in this collection, it's reflections on mortality as the future expands longevity through various means, and the relationship between human and AI, so we have a few digressions for trans-humanism and other ideas.

My favorites include "Rates of Change", "Cocoons", "Emergence", "Memento Mori" & "The Falls". None of them really blew me away, though. I didn't much care for "Drones", "All the Wrong Places" or "Pictures From the Resurrection".

"Rates of
Cathy
I read this in May 2016 and wrote the review then, but for some reason never did the final edit on the review to post i. Posted in February 2017 even though some of it is a bit outdated.

Luckily I already had it out of the library (probably because of Aliette de Bodard’s Xuya story though Ian McDonald’s Luna story was a must read for me too for when I finally read the high-priority book on my kindle) when I started the Sturgeon Award list and saw that one of the stories was from this book, very handy!
Jim
I started reading this, but after a few stories, I stopped. I just wasn't seeing anything of worth in them. I thought it might be my mood. A week later, I tried again & had the same reaction. I didn't like the stories or felt they were barely OK. I stuck with it & found a few good ones toward the end, but the last story was another I didn't like.

I've put off this review to think about them. The only conclusion I can come to is they're mostly concentrating on settings & th
Greg Hullender
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Out of sixteen total stories, Meeting Infinity has one outstanding one and four excellent ones, but for some reason it also has six that aren't worth reading. It's above average at both ends of the spectrum. Well-worth reading selectively.

You can read my detailed review on Rocket Stack Rank: http://www.rocketstackrank.com/2015/1...
Peter Tillman
These are mostly pretty grim stories. All science fiction. Overall score: 3 stars. I prefer more optimism in my guesses at what the future might bring. Not much of that here.

Story notes:
• Rates of Change • novelette by Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck [as by James S. A. Corey ].
Previously read. 3.8 stars, but not a reread.

• Desert Lexicon • novelette by Benjanun Sriduangkaew.
Another grim story. 3 stars

• Drones • short story by Simon Ings
3.7 star
Xavi
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: llegits-2015
4'5/5
Great anthology. I haven't read the previous ones, but if they are of similar level, I will read them soon.

English review:http://dreamsofelvex.blogspot.com/201...

Reseña en español:http://dreamsofelvex.blogspot.com/201...
Standback
This anthology just isn't working for me. I'm just not finding these future visions very interesting.

Short fiction is always hit-and-miss, but I've read a bunch of these, including some much-recommended ones, and found them mostly meh.
Jeff Pfeiffer
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Most of the stories were okay, although I hit a plateau somewhere approaching the middle that I just couldn't get through for the longest time, until after I had put it down and read a few other books and short story periodicals. It picked up toward the end, and if you wanted to skip toward the last third of the book, you really wouldn't be missing much. Most of the stories felt half hearted, or simply dragged on with nothing much going on to keep my interest.

I don't like giving anyone's work a
Joe Karpierz
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find that I'm enjoying reading short fiction again. I read a lot of it many years ago when I was young and was just discovering the field. I did read novels, make no mistake. But I cut my teeth on anthologies that introduced me to the finest work of the field, from the various Hugo Winners volumes to the Science Fiction Hall of Fame volumes to Baen's Destinies volumes. That interest waned as I started discovering the classic novels of the field. I tries subscribing to the various print
ma
Charl
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Most of the stories were good, and a couple of them were absolutely wonderful. So good I have to give the book 5 stars. These were my favorites:

"The Cold Inequalities": Wonderful pastiche of/homage to "The Cold Equations".

"Exile from Extinction": This surprised me. I had no idea what the surprise was until it was revealed.

"My Last Bringback": Interesting, hopeful, and grittily believable.

"The Falls: A Luna Story": I'm not sure which was better — Mo
Lalochezia
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A mixed bag of Twilight Zone or Black Mirror episodes. Some were really good, others were mediocre. Some were "IT TURNS OUT IT'S MAN", including one of the best ones. Many of them deal with immortality but Simon Ings is over here writing about space boys spitting in each other's mouths cause all the bees are dead.
David Scrimshaw
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Any Jonathan Strahan collection is a must-read for a serious science fiction reader and this one is no exception.

Just look at the list of authors. If you don't see more than one name telling you to get ahold of a copy of the book, you're not a serious science fiction reader.
Damian Knight
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
An ok set of short stories
Josie Boyce
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very decent anthology, with a few stand outs, and not one bad story in the bunch. All very much worth reading.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Read for "In Blue Lily’s Wake" by Aliette de Bodard.
Henry Bemis
Jul 09, 2019 is currently reading it
Stories Read:

Memento Mori by Madeline Ashby
Keith West
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Before we get started, I’d like to thank Solaris books for the review copy of Meeting Infinity. It’s the fourth volume in the series of anthologies entitled Infinity Project. I’ve not read all of them yet, but for the most part I’ve liked the ones I have read. Strahan’s taste is close enough to mine that I know any anthology he edits is probably going to have more stories I like than dislike.

Having said that, Meeting Infinity probably diverges from my taste more than most of his anth
Mateo Fisher
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
I like the concept, short stories with unique visions of the future, but I don't know, didn't click for me. Too many stories didn't grab my attention and I would reach the end thinking to myself, what did I read? Too much future dystopia for my taste. I'm not saying all stories about the future should be uplifting or utopian, but somewhere in between would be nice. For instance, I was hoping to read short stories that were classic problems in future settings.

There were two exceptions
Peter Hollo
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although there are a few stories in here which I didn't even bother finishing (including a couple from authors I usually like), there are also a few that shine very brightly. Strahan is one of the best short-form editors and anthologists out there at the moment, and the Infinity series has produced a lot of great stuff.
The stories here deal with humanity transforming beyond itself.
Particularly notable are Yoon Ha Lee's hallucinatory tale of self-deceiving AI riffing on an old sf stor
Paula
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed this book for NetGalley.

A wonderful "fourth-generation" sci-fi anthology, the latest addition to Jonathan Strahan's Infinity Project. I have read a lot of Mr. Strahan's anthologies and this one is as excellent as the others.

"Meeting Infinity" deals with how humanity will be changed by the future. All of the stories reflect people that have experienced some sort of change from the current condition of humanity, some of them in a humorous way and others far more
Keith
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A seriously seriously good collection

Once again a Jonathan Strahan anthology delivers! There are no weak stories in the collection and several that will no doubt make years best collections and garner award nominations. The themes of how we might cope and the emotional implications of technology and the future are covered in a variety of manners, none of which seem trite or hackneyed. If you like SF or are interested in some informed speculation on the impact of the future on people or you just l
Gunes
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A collection of truly forward looking Sci-Fi stories that explore the social and scientific structure of distant future. A few of the stories are truly ground breaking in terms of proposing new and unexplored directions for humans in the centuries ahead and attacking and analyzing issues that will arise from change.
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Review forthcoming
Ic Rainbow
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good bunch of provocative and outlandish stories.
Krystal Baker
Mar 11, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Permafrost
  • Empress of Forever
  • Remanence (Confluence, #2)
  • Best of Beyond the Stars
  • Bill, The Galactic Hero (Bill, The Galactic Hero, #1)
  • Steles of the Sky (Eternal Sky, #3)
  • Bowl of Heaven (Bowl of Heaven, #1)
  • Klaus #1
  • Zenith: Phase Two
  • Zenith: Phase One
  • Zenith: Phase Three
  • The Just City (Thessaly, #1)
  • Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe
  • Twisted Metal (Penrose, #1)
  • Fallen Empire Books 1-3
  • Inversions (Culture, #6)
  • Zero World
  • The Demon Princes

Infinity Project (7 books)
  • Engineering Infinity
  • Edge of Infinity
  • Reach for Infinity
  • Bridging Infinity
  • Infinity Wars (The Infinity Project)
  • Infinity's End