Start by marking “Everybody Knows Your Name” as Want to Read:
Everybody Knows Your Name

Everybody Knows Your Name

Meet Magnolia.
Her father's dead, her boyfriend's ditched her to commit himself more fully to surfing, and her mother's depressed because she can't get cast on The Real Housewives of Orange County. All Magnolia wants is to reinvent herself.

Meet Ford.
Half his family is in jail, the other half probably should be, he shoplifted his way into a job at a record store, and his bro
Published March 10th 2015 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Everybody Knows Your Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everybody Knows Your Name

Bree
I'm almost 40. I shouldn't be staying up until 2 AM reading a YA novel. However, I did and I'm not ashamed. This book is much better and more thoughtful than one would assume. The characters are complex and compelling. The story is engaging. I gave a copy to one of my high school students to read after standardized testing and she loved it so much she insisted on buying her own copy rather than borrowing mine. Another of my students was sneak reading it today in class. I can't blame her. It's th ...more
Lucie
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plongée au cœur d'une télé-réalité on découvre la vie de 2 adolescents issus de milieu différent et qui tombe amoureux dans un contexte difficile. C'est mignon, ça fait réfléchir sur ses choix, pas mal du tout !

Ma chronique : https://luxnbooks.wordpress.com/2015/...
Hannah
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this into the wee hours of the night, wanting to know what would happen to Magnolia and Ford. The storyline was anything but predictable. The characters were complex and well-developed. This world felt authentic. And the book concludes in a highly satisfying way. I loved it.
faith
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Everybody Knows Your Name was an okay read. I kept trying to get myself interested in it, but it just wasn't working. towards the end, it felt as if I was forcing myself to finish it.

the book was actually kind of funny, with small witty remarks here and there, especially between Magnolia and Ford. the concept of Spotlight was also kind of cool; it was the clever blend between a singing competition and reality TV.

I didn't really feel the connection between Magnolia and Ford too much at the beginn
Jaime Arkin
Everybody Knows Your Name revolves around a reality TV Singing Competition called Spotlight. Think The Voice and American Idol plus The Real World (omg is that show even still on?) But don’t let that fool you, it’s not quite as light-hearted as I expected it to be.

Magnolia isn’t sure exactly who she is in life. Her father died and she has no one to talk with about it… especially her mom who is more concerned with making it in Hollywood than worrying about the emotional well-being of her daughte
Katie
This was okay. I know GoodReads says two stars is okay, but three seems more okay to me.

It got closer to what I want from a reality tv show book in that reality tv wasn't demonized and you got to see more of the behind the scenes stuff and a bit of the fame that goes along with it. But I still want more! I want more nitty-gritty details and more dealing with sudden fame.

With this book in particular, I also wanted more about what music and singing meant to the characters. Especially Magnolia. It
Sue (Hollywood News Source)

Today on the blog you can win a finished copy of Everybody Knows Your Name + interview with the authors. Visit Young Adult Hollywood for more details. (US only)
Liz
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had to much that was to unbelievable, it should have been cataloged as a fantasy novel. The end was wrapped up with little information and wasn't particularly satisfying.
Liralen
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ya, z-2015, reviewed
Book overlap! In Ruby Reinvented, which I also read this week, Ruby pretends her parents are dead because she doesn't want to deal with the baggage that comes along with being related to them...and in Everybody Knows Your Name, Ford does the same thing for the same reason. (Also, in both cases the lie comes more or less accidentally.) Also, our heroine here is named Magnolia, and guess what I'm reading right now? That's right—Magnolia. File under Things That Please Me.

Erm. Right. I was pretty ea
Tania (Real-Listen-Feel)
2 stars

Vide, surperficiel et irréaliste.

Avant d'appendre que ce roman allait être publié dans la nouvelle collection New Way, je n'en avais jamais entendu parler et je comprends maintenant pourquoi. Mettre 2 étoiles à un roman, je ne fais pas ça souvent. En fait, c'est la toute première fois que ça m'arrive.

Dans ce roman, on rencontre les personnages de Ford et Magnolia. Tous les deux ont décidé de participer à l'émission de télé-réalité Spotlight, mais pour des raisons totalement différentes.
Alexandria Taylor
This book started out so promising. I loved the idea of it; getting glimpse into the world of Hollywood reality show. But I think it just skimmed the surface. Not only of the reality show theme, but just the entire book in general. It skimmed the surface of the TV show (there aren't many scenes of them performing or them preparing). It skimmed the surface of the romance (They're not together longer than they are). Because of this, there doesn't seem to be a plot, just a bunch of subsequent event ...more
Fantasy-a
Je suis vraiment mitigée. Le résumé nous dépeint une histoire d'amour en pleine télé-réalité: au final, on parle très peu de cette émission et la relation entre les deux personnages principaux est peu approfondie, comme leur caractère. Ce roman pourrait sans doute satisfaire des adolescents mais pas la jeune adulte que je suis...
Kiirsi Hellewell
I thought this would be a fun fictitious glimpse of a reality singing show, but in actual reality...the show seemed to bypass weeks and weeks with hardly a mention of what was going on or any details. Also, the characters felt like total strangers at the end, even the main two. And I didn't hugely love the ending.
Brooke
I thought this book was going to be lame, but it was really funny and well written. The reality TV show angle didn't appeal to me, but it really worked with the theme of trying to start fresh and change people's opinions of you.
Billie Low
Nov 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
This book is a great example of something that is better on the screens than on pages. Honestly speaking, as a book, everything about Everybody Knows Your Name is average. Do not get me wrong, I kinda enjoyed the book when I was reading it but I just had the same thought while reading the whole book. All those while I just thought “this book would be better as a movie or TV show than a book”.

Read the full review @ Thoughts from 65.
Shaked Kara
I don't know what to think of this book. I did enjoy it, I thought the idea was intresting, and I got invested in this book, but I don't know how I feel about this one. The writing was good, the plot line was cute, everything was fine, but it just didn't grab me. I don't know, I think I'll have to read it again to actually form an opinion of it. hope I'll get around to it...

3.5 stars?
Audrey
The plot was all over the place to say the least. The transition between scenes was awkward and there seemed to be holes in the plot. The ending was not very satisfying. The chemistry between Magnolia and Ford was pretty much non existent, so the romance seemed really forced. I think this book could have worked if it had gone through more editing to polish the plot.
Alexis
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everybody Knows Your Name is about two very different characters, Magnolia and Ford, who enter a reality tv show singing competition. Although the concept sounded interesting and fun this book had a lot of flaws in it. I was really expecting more from this, which is why I gave it a 3/5.

My first complaint with this book is the characters. Both Magnolia and Ford do incredibly stupid things that annoyed me to no end. Ford lied to national television that his family was dead, and then had the nerve
Callixta

Ce roman partait avec un handicap pour moi. L’histoire se déroule dans le milieu de la télé-réalité américaine, pas de quoi me passionner et si les deux auteurs sont de façon évidente très au courant de ce dont ils parlent, ce contexte ’na rien d’attirant pour moi. Ceci dit, le roman est réussi, pose quelques questions intéressantes même si on n’évite pas quelques platitudes et longueurs.

Le roman tient surtout grâce aux deux héros. Magnolia a été présentée
Riki
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Magnolia is cast in Spotlight, a reality TV singing competition, all she wants to do is reinvent herself. With a failed romance and a neurotic mother on her hands, she just wants to escape her everyday life. Then there’s Ford, who also wants to reinvent himself, but for totally different reasons. With half of his crazy family in jail and a questionable past, he’s looking for a way out towards a better life. When Magnolia and Ford meet, the attraction is immediate, and as they live together ...more
Stefani Sloma
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can read this review and more on my blog, Caught Read Handed.

Everybody Knows Your Name is essentially about two people who are contestants on a reality show that is basically a mix between American Idol and The Real World, which is more interesting than it sounds, promise.

But that’s not all (or even most) of what this book is about. Rather than giving all of its attention to the reality TV/faux celebrity aspect, this book focuses on real-life developments and the self-discovery that can happ
James Hill
from James:

Would have gone 3.5 stars, but alas! Thwarted by Goodreads.

I'm not this book's intended audience, but I'm always drawn to books that have pop music as a conceit. Unfortunately, this book didn't really go in the same direction as other YA novels by John Green or Rainbow Rowell. In fact, it reminded me instead of Suzzy Roche's Wayward Saints (a lot actually).

What did keep interest in this book, though was the premise of getting in the cast of an American Idol-type talent show. I'm not a
Charmaine
Apr 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a big fan. Too much insta-love, too much annoying teenage angst, and too little plot/character development. As in, I feel like the characters didn't grow AT ALL.

I know this book was supposed to be funny, but it really wasn't. Some built-in humour just got a little awkward.

The parenting was terrible, and I could hardly believe it to be real. The Buckleys were shocking, and I don't know how people are able to get away with that kind of lifestyle. Is that really possible? And Magnolia's mother
Wisty
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really solid read. I purchased it a few years back because I liked the cover and I couldn't stop singing "Where Everybody Knows Your Name." (As in, the Cheers theme song.)

I always love books about reality TV, and I about so always love books with more than one POV, and this had both. I get an absolute kick out of the fact that this was written by a couple- that's always the best.

Anyway, I really liked this. The banter between Ford and Magnolia when they first meet and even after was
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not perfect, but I loved it anyway. The characters had clear, strong voices, and I really liked them both. Their character arcs --Magnolia's desire to figure out what SHE wants from life, not what her mother wants, and Ford's desire to be freed from the oppressive shadow of his family's destructive nature -- were relatable. Even the romance, although pretty much instalove, was sweet and fun.

The only other thing I wish it had a bit more of were some of the reality show bits, instead of just skip
Renata
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fiction
I read this hoping to be able to book talk it to junior high kids because I think the concept (reality TV love story!) is something that will be easy to sell but I think the material is a little too much for me to comfortably tell a whole class about--the first chapter has a super drunk actress, there's a big plot line about drug dealers, etc--but I think that a lot of teens will dig it.

I liked it okay... I always love behind-the-scenes reality TV stuff, and I especially liked Magnolia's ongoing
Liz Friend
The story: Magnolia and Ford meet as contestants on a TV reality show, where everything's totally fake except the attraction they feel for each other. Both of them are trying to re-invent themselves and move past where they've come from...but how can you do that when everyone in the country is watching your every move?

June Cleavers ratings: Language PG-13; Violence PG; Sexual content PG-13; Nudity PG-13 (shirts-off making-out scene but no on-page sex); Substance abuse PG-13; Magic and the occult
Kelly Hager
This book is incredibly fun. It's told from both Magnolia and Ford's perspectives, and I was immediately sucked into the story. I enjoy stories set with a reality show backdrop (most notably Kelly Fiore's Taste Test and Heather Demetrios' Something Real) and, while this book didn't work with me as much as those did, I had an incredibly hard time putting it down.

I love that even the secondary characters in this are interesting. I wish we had gotten to spend more time with them, but honestly, even
Mycoton32
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
16/20
En bref, j'ai passé un bon moment avec Magnolia et Ford. Les deux adolescents nous montrent les différentes facettes de leur personnalité, on s'attache à eux, on aime les voir prendre conscience de leurs envies et de ce qu'ils espèrent pour leur avenir à ce tournant qu'est l'adolescence. Ils trainent tous les deux des boulets, chacun d'une manière très différente, ils ne les gèrent pas souvent très bien mais ils sont aussi adorables et surtout crédibles. Le final est assez génial et nous l
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Don't Fail Me Now
  • Scripted
  • The Glass Gauntlet
  • Footer Davis Probably Is Crazy
  • Truly, Madly, Famously (Famous in Love, #2)
  • Lock & Mori (Lock & Mori, #1)
  • Streaks of Blue
  • The Tenderness of Thieves
  • Dentelle et nécromancie (Victorian Fantasy, #1)
  • No, No, Kitten!
  • The Boy on the Bridge
  • The Devil and Winnie Flynn
  • Under the Dusty Moon
  • Scar Girl (The Scar Boys, #2)
ANDREA SEIGEL is the author of two novels for adults, Like the Red Panda and To Feel Stuff, as well as the YA novel, The Kid Table, and the forthcoming YA novel, Everybody Knows Your Name, co-written with Brent Bradshaw. In September 2014 A24 will release the film Laggies, written by Seigel, directed by Lynn Shelton, and starring Keira Knightley, Chloe Moretz, and Sam Rockwell. She lives in South ...more