Start by marking “The Vanished Path: A Graphic Travelogue” as Want to Read:
The Vanished Path: A Graphic Travelogue

The Vanished Path: A Graphic Travelogue

Ye dhamma hetuppabhava tesam hetum tathagato aha, tesanca yo nirodho evam vadi mahasamanno. Of those phenomena that arise from a cause, the Tathagata has said, this is their cause, and this is their cessation. Thus the Great Sramana teaches. A common dedication in Pali on votive stupas.

In 2009, Bharath Murthy took refuge as a lay Buddhist. Soon after, accompanied by his wi
Published March 5th 2015 by Harper Collins India

To ask other readers questions about The Vanished Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vanished Path

Start your review of The Vanished Path: A Graphic Travelogue
Dibyajyoti Sarma
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
With the air rife with cultural dissent, this is perhaps the right time to read and appreciate Bharath Murthy’s breezy and sharp Manga-like graphic novel The Vanished Path.

While Buddhism remains the fastest-growing religion in the world, it’s ironic how in the country of its origin, the teachings of the Buddha is largely forgotten. Today, we discuss Buddhism in the context of the Dalit issues, as political shorthand for caste issues and that’s that.

Yet, the historical Buddhist sites, from Gaya
Aparna Singh
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
As someone with a casual interest in Buddhism and a stronger one in traveling this book ticked two boxes for me.

I do not know enough about art or graphic novels as a form to comment on the book from that perspective but The Vanished Path is a very enjoyable read otherwise.

It made me want to visit some of the places mentioned in the book. I also enjoyed the author's wry observations about the persistence of caste and prejudice in many places, without getting pedantic. The conversations feel nat
Ambar
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
TL;DR - An interesting read, probably worth your time and money... especially if you have any interest in Buddhism.

** NOTE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD **

The true-to-manga style is pleasant, and some of the ideas (like how a particular animal/creature at the start of each of the six chapters is a motif for that chapter) are refreshing. Some of the single and double page spreads are just beautiful. The text is very matter-of-fact-ish and the general tone throughout the book could perhaps be summarize
Venkatarangan Thirumalai
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
The other day I picked up from library this Japanese Manga influenced comic novel titled The Vanished Path by Bharath Murthy. The novel is a travelogue describing the experience of Bharath & his wife Alka on their travel plus pilgrimage to places associated with the life of Lord Buddha.

I liked their style of travel, which is done in a leisurely manner, they don’t experience any travel stress by doing elaborate pre-planning. They seem to simply land in a place, find an accommodation and move ar
Nidhi Srivastava
A beautiful graphic travelogue that I purchased on a whim. It is supposed to be Manga-inspired but it reminded me very much of Indian comics I read as a kid. Maybe they were Manga-inspired too. Full of the usual travelogue tropes, it nevertheless springs up surprises when you least expect them (wait is it a surprise if you expected it? Ugh). I usually dislike travelogues as a genre because they such naive yet judgemental perspective of places... Give me a Delhi travelogue and inevitably I will h ...more
Thaths
Aug 03, 2015
Debanjoli Sinha
Apr 05, 2017
Charles Barragan
rated it did not like it
Aug 06, 2017
Su
Jul 22, 2016
Chetna Meena
Jan 02, 2017

• Malice (Detective Kaga, #1)
  • Life Between Lives: Hypnotherapy for Spiritual Regression
  • The Inheritance of Loss
  • The Stampeding of Lady Bastable
  • On the Ropes
  • To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)
  • Silly Sea Stories (SpongeBob Comics #1)
  • Yoga Time
  • Mulan: Revelations #1
  • How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization
  • Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
  • Guide to Getting It On!
  • MetaMaus: A Look Inside a Modern Classic, Maus
  • I Hope You Find Me: The Love Poems of craigslist's Missed Connections
  • Jassy / Bless This House / Scent of Cloves / How Far to Bethlehem?
  • French Milk
  • Haiku Night
  • Flight, Vol. 3 (Flight, #3)
Bharath Murthy is a filmmaker and comics author.He studied painting at Faculty of Fine arts ,M.S.University of Baroda, and film direction at Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute,kolkata.