Start by marking “Debt of Mercy” as Want to Read:
Debt of Mercy

Debt of Mercy

Raboc’s eyes narrowed to slits and he thrust his arm forward until his fingers closed around Ancel’s throat. The young man knew better than to resist the powerful lord, but his jaw clenched.

“To the dungeon with you. Guards!”

“Lord, have mercy,” Ancel pleaded. “Give me time and I shall pay the other half.”

To ask other readers questions about Debt of Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Debt of Mercy

Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: 10 and up

One evening I decided to read a few of the short stories on my Kindle, and this was one of them. It was very short, and I found myself a little disappointed in it. While it was an interesting retelling of a parable of Jesus, it wasn’t long enough, nor did it have enough unique elements to really make it a stellar short story.

With that said, I did enjoy the story. Sometimes it is helpful to read a fictional story to see an old story through new
Kelsey Bryant
This was a great, to-the-point retelling of the parable of the unforgiving servant. I loved how it came full-circle so that readers could really get the impact of the lesson of forgiveness. And for such a short story, there were a couple of unexpected twists! The medieval atmosphere added extra interest.
Galaxy Adventurer
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks-i-own, 2015
Eh it wasn't bad. I think the main reason why I enjoyed it was because it took place in medieval times.
Jason McIntire
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a pretty good medieval retelling of The Unforgiving Servant, with an interesting twist at the end that kind of makes the story cut both ways.
Faith
Beautiful story of forgiveness!! I adored this heart-warming tale ever so much. ^_^ Five of five stars, all the way!
Olivia
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
“The dungeon is a terrible prison for the physical body. But bitterness is a far worse prison of the heart.”

A great story to remind us of forgiveness and mercy. This story is an allegory of the parable in Matthew 18. It has a medieval feel to it which I enjoyed and a wonderful story for all ages.

*I want to thank the author for allowing me to read her short stories in exchange for a review.
Erika Mathews
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short story that paralleled the Biblical story. It was simple and to the point without complexities or depth, but the ending was quite thought-provoking and the characters were sufficiently devolved for the purpose. What it lacked in uniqueness throughout the main story, it gained through the ending. Excellent moral - places fresh emphasis on Jesus' teaching.
Elisha Andres
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Amanda's writing. She is a gifted author. This was a very good short story. It makes you think! It even believe it or not, kept me on the edge of my seat. I had to finish it and find out what was going to happen. Was he going to make the right choice or not?
Thank you Amanda for your encouragement and challenging stories! Praise God for His works He is doing through you. :)
Cate
Wow, this book was a great allegory! This story is based off of the parable Jesus told in Matthew 18:21-35.
Rebekah Morris
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Short story, but still enjoyable.
Audrey
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Based on the Biblical story of the Unforgiving Servant this short account is set in medieval England. It brings to life the importance of forgiveness.
Janell R.
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a well written short story, and everything seems consistent with the time period. The only complaint I have is, it ended before I was ready! :-)
Claire Banschbach
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

Nice little retelling of the unjust steward parable. I liked the setting and the ending message of forgiving others as God has forgiven us. Great reading!
Darla Damron
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great book! I loved the setting of Lords and Kings. A great message on forgiveness and mercy. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone.
Raquel Evans
Most of this story felt a bit repetitive since I'm already familiar with the parable it was based on. The ending was a nice touch though.

This seems to be intended as adult fiction/allegory, but reads as suitable for young adults, or even younger. The only possible content issue I can think of is an implied drinking too much, so it seems fine for even very young readers.
Emma Filbrun
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a thought-provoking retelling of one of Jesus' parables. I thought it was well-done.
Esther
I feel like the story could have been expanded a little more, but it was good. :)
Amanda Tero
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-writing

May 26, 2018
anika
May 28, 2018
Christian Book Gi...: FREE short story: Debt of Mercy 1 11 May 24, 2016 07:40PM
Amanda Tero is a homeschool graduate who desires to provide God-honoring, family-friendly reading material. She has enjoyed writing since before ten years old, but it has only been since 2013 that she began seriously pursuing writing again – starting with some short stories that she wrote for her sisters as a gift. Her mom encouraged her to try selling the stories she published, and since then, sh ...more