Start by marking “Conciatore: The Life and Times of 17th Century Glassmaker Antonio Neri” as Want to Read:
Conciatore: The Life and Times of 17th Century Glassmaker Antonio Neri

Conciatore: The Life and Times of 17th Century Glassmaker Antonio Neri

A biography of seventeenth century Florentine alchemist, priest, and glassmaker Antonio Neri. The book details the life and times of the author of the first and most famous book on making glass.

Antonio Neri plied his craft in late Renaissance Florence, Pisa, and Antwerp. He was both a contemporary of Galileo, and a devotee of Paracelsus. Sponsored by a Medici prince, he is
Hardcover, First Edition, 394 pages
Published December 21st 2014 by Heiden & Engle

To ask other readers questions about Conciatore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conciatore

Yuki
Received this book through Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

I received this book, hoping that this was an analysis of Antonio Neri's glass-making formulas and techniques. Didn't get exactly what I want, though Conciatore sure is an interesting book, since we have enough Copernicus and Galileo biographies already.
Without a doubt, glass is a true fruit of the art of fire, as it can so closely resemble all kinds of rocks and minerals, yet it is a compound and made by art.
Especially Neri's fo
Tamara
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I got this book for free from the first-read giveaways.

This usually isn't the sort of book I would read or choose for myself but I was enchanted by it from the first moment I held it in my hands. First by the cover and the title, and later by the contents. It was a beautiful, informative book that opened my eyes to a whole new world of literature, and to many other things. I have never had an interest in glass making, but by the time I finished the introduction I was wondering what i
William Deakin
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the delights of the Goodreads website is being introduced to books that ordinarily one wouldn't be aware of. This was certainly the case with this gem of a book. I would urge people to read this informative account of a true renaissance man. Whether you are a scientist interested in how chemistry as a discipline developed or a student of renaissance history and politics this is a fascinating book and all credit must go to Paul for the depth of his research.
Jessica Powell
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this - for the newcomer (like myself) it serves as a great introduction into the history of glass making, and then follows the life and work of one of the craft's key figures, Antonio Neri. Neri is placed into context, building up a picture of contemporary Florence, all superbly referenced. Highly recommended!
John Naylor
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free via Goodreads First Reads.

I have had this book for a few months but I have not known what to make of it so it has only just been finished.

I think I expected a biography of Neri but it is not just one of them. It delves into the politics, the standard of living and the people in the time he lived in too. It deals with his contemporaries and who he influenced as well as those who influenced him.

I was surprised by the level of research in the book (as a side note, Neri
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez