Start by marking “Smoldering Hunger (Dark Kings, #8)” as Want to Read:
Smoldering Hunger (Dark Kings, #8)

Smoldering Hunger

(Dark Kings #8)

TEMPTING FATE
Darius is back. Edinburg thought it had seen the last of this seductive Dragon King, but that was before Darius found something worthwhile. He just can't stay away from the impossibly beautiful Dr. Sophie Martin-even though he knows that a passion this strong could prove detrimental...for them both.

CRAVING DESIRE
Sophie tried to forget her encounter with smoki
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published December 29th 2015 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Smoldering Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoldering Hunger

Start your review of Smoldering Hunger (Dark Kings, #8)
XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy
The story seemed to cover Sophie and Darius on a level close to the surface. There was SO much about everything and everybody else that I still have no clue who the MCs are and why they belong together. They shared very few important moments/information with each other. Their relationship was almost entirely physical. The story was too "busy" that the details were lost. I know am fairly confident I know who Rhi's King is.

ARC received in exchange for an honest review.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

It’s been two weeks since Sophie and Darius had a quick romp outside of the hospital that Sophie works at. But now trouble seems to be finding the good doctor when Ulrik enters the hospital, searching for Sophie. Instead of keeping his distance, Darius protects her but it’s at a cost. He’s becoming more and more drawn to her. Until he is unable to stay away.

I really loved the romance between Sophie and Darius. It’s right up front and centre of this story and becomes the driving force. Grant
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC received for review

Dragon King Darius and the lovely Dr. Sophie who we met in the previous book when she helps Lexi. Darius should have paid more attention to who was watching. Con really has a stick up his arse, but is willing to help his Kings.

Still not liking Rhi or V...and can the bad guy die already, all of them.
Lisa Marie
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this book!! Darius. Sweet broken Darius, you have my heart! I wish he didn’t didn’t fight his love for Sophie as much as he did but I can understand why...On to the next! 🖤
Nicole
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, netgalley

ARC kindly provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

4^^^^ passionate stars from me

These dragons can't fail you!! Smoldering hunger is the eighth story of Dark King series. In this story we have the sweet Dr Sophie Martin and Darius, well i can say that it was very enjoyable with a lot of passion and attraction between the hero and heroine.

After some passionate moments with Darius, Sophie promised never let a man close to her heart again..but days later Darius is back, threate
Valerie
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars!

Darius is irresistible! The lovely Dr. Sophie Martin certainly can't resist him. And the way their smokin' hot relationship starts is telling of their chemistry. No way these two can stay apart.

As I've come to expect, I love the writing and world this series is set in. My only issues has been how slow the over arching story moves. I love that each book is about a different king and his mate so I'm trying to be patient with the coming (hopefully) demise of certain dragons. I dislike
Vanessa theJeepDiva
The ending of Passion Ignites has Darius and Sophie enjoying some intimate time together. This moment is also mentioned in Dark Alpha’s Claim. It is no secret that Darius is interested in repeating the events of that evening. Sophie has sworn never to let anyone get close to her again has no qualms about relishing Darius’s body again. Darius is not worried about finding his mate as so many of his fellow Dragons has. Something that has happened in his past reminds his that a mate is not something ...more
iamboredaf
HONEST & MAY CONTAIN SPOILER REVIEW.

To be honest, I mostly skimmed on reading the main characters because it is just same old dragon + human dull lusty love story - I cared less.

I, however, do pay attention to these:

The war is still progress although with pretty much little action. Reading the kill of the Dark Fae is just same old same old with the previous books *sighing deeply* admittedly, boring.

I can't believe I said this; Rhi's gone pathetic over love and her Dragon King. She has a plenty g
Paraphrodite
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
After 8 books, I think we've been teased long enough about the great BIG fight between Ulrik and Con. Hope Ms Grant brings it on soon... That teaser between them in this book is just mean!
WTF Are You Reading?
* Reviewer's Note: Characters appearing in Smoldering Hunger are continuing a story line directly related to (Bk. 7) Passion Ignites. Therefore it is strongly suggested that one reads Passion Ignites, in order to fully understand the interrelationship of both stories to each other, and to the overall series.

Smoldering Hunger marks a definite change in tempo on all fronts, from the unexpected lull that readers were treated to in its predecessor, Passion Ignites.
While embers of both story and pass
Deannie
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a ride!!!!!!!! This is the eighth installment of the Dark King Series and its a HOME RUN!!!!!!!!! I just came off reading the first two of Reapers and right into this one and I mean Donna Grant doesn't miss a beat in writing laterally with her series. I love these characters, their life and how she keeps them all in each book and even manages to introduce more as she goes.

This book is about Darius. He is the King that told Rhi her lover no longer wanted her years and years ago. He is se
Janet Robel
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Hot and sexy paranormal romance that's sure to get your pulse pounding! These Highlander heroes are everything you could want and more. Darius and Sophie's story is going to be a tough act to follow for future books, but I am extremely curious to get the full story on Rhi since we get just enough tidbits about her to wet our appetites. Darius is one Dragon King who will make you sigh and wish for one of your own.
Candy Varty
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best ones, Darius oh my word, What a man, what a dragon. Such intense scenes. I love it. I want more
Ashley (Red-Haired Ash Reads)
Darius and Sophie had a quick and steamy relationship that started when he came to the hospital to ask for help with Lexi. After that they meet on and off for and tried to hide their growing feelings. Ulrik pushed them together and made them admit their feelings.

I liked Sophie. She was very career driven and is a healer at heart. I liked her friend Claire a lot too. Darius is the strong silent type who has been sleeping away the years. He denies his feelings, like most of the Kings do, for as l
Micheal
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This novel is #8 in the series, "Dark Kings" by author; Donna Grant. This novel starts out Hot and Steamy! WOWza! Another GREAT addition to this series! I was totally enthralled in this novel that I literally could not put it down!! The story about that HOT Scottish Alpha male that's able to shift into his natural form as a Dragon is just so compelling! The plot twist are still building like crazy with each novel bringing just a taste of what's to come! It has A LOT of unexpected action, yes I s ...more
Linda
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
An ultra intense installment featuring Darius, the dragon king of the purples and the Doc!

She'd come across a few Highlanders while in Edinburgh, but none compared to Darius. She didn't even have to ask if he was a Highlander.
It was in the way he held himself, the way he spoke. It was a look that couldn't be faked or copied. Whatever made a man a Highlander was in his blood, in his very soul.

SMOLDERING HUNGER by Donna Grant is an ultra intense installment in Donna's fantastic Dark Kings serie
Eva Millien
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Endinburg thought it had seen the last of the seductive Dragon King but Darius has found something worthwhile, something that could prove detrimental for him and the beautiful Dr. Sophie Martin in this electrifying Dark King novel.

Sophie tried to forget her encounter with the smoking-hot Darius but he’s in her dreams, tempting her and the reader can’t help but enjoy the electric passion that fills this romance as Sophie discovers that she can’t resist him even as her association with him puts he
Dayreader Reviews
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Smoldering Hunger is the eighth book in Donna Grant's Dragon King series, and it has quite a following. You would think after so many books, that the world she has created would lose it's luster. But it's just the opposite. Her writing is impeccable and her imagination knows no bounds.

What makes Donna Grant's paranormal world so different - it's grounded in human emotions. Donna has created a world where dragons are real, where fae are real, a world where real monsters do exist, and supernatura
Re-listened on 10-11/1-2020.
First listened on 14-18/12-2019.

Review from 18/12-2019:

I'm so glad I started listening to this series. I'm really enjoying it! I'm trying not to listen to the books too fast because all the books aren't available on Audible Escape but it's hard because I want to listen to more lol.

The whole mystery with Rhi and her DK is frustrating me more and more with each book. It is mentioned all the time and I honestly don't understand why the author made the decision to keep t
Chantale Canadian Book Addict
If you have been a reader of my blog for a while now you probably noticed that I am a huge Donna Grant fan. I have read many of her books and I know I will be reading many more of her books because I have been loving all her books to far.

Well it comes to no surprise that I love this book as much as all the others in this series. It is so well written and I was sucked into this book right away and I didn't want to stop reading.

This is book 8 in the Dark Kings series.

I highly recommend this book.
Heather andrews
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Darius could be daft at times but it was funny when he doesn't get a certain meaning, “protection?” Darius was confused. Was she asking him to protect her from Ulrik?" Darius is a passionate dragon man and I loved that, “you have me. All of me.” He pressed his arousal into her sex. “All the time.” She laughed and kissed him." I enjoy this series I love these dragon men.
Elizabeth Maldonado
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Real review 3.8. I actually enjoyed this book a lot but the reason it was not a full four is because the last chapters I was more interested in Rhi's story than the main couple. I do also agree that each story of this series tends to be repetitive, which does get old but since I think the series is almost done, I will continue to read the books.
Jenn
Loved everything about this. The end had me squealing and smiling like a fool. Bring on the next book!!! I want more!!!
Paranormal Romance
No matter how hard she tries, she just can't get the memory out of her head of the night of passion she shared with the hero before he vanished from her life. It's strange for her, a woman who distrusts everyone and lives a sheltered and secluded life, to long for a man like she does the hero but something about him makes him unlike any other man she has ever met. She doesn't care about the reasons why she shouldn't care abut him, like the fact that he's mysterious and dangerous and her past exp ...more
OpenBookSociety.com

ISBN# 9781250071958
Author’s Website: http://www.donnagrant.com/
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

We met Dr. Sophie Martin in the previous installment of the series, Passion Ignites, when she came to treat Lexi when she was ill. She also had quite the intimate encounter with Dragon King, Darius! Now Darius is back in Edinburgh and can’t quite get the good doctor out of h
Joy
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Darius is still in Edinburgh hunting down Dark Fae but his mind is on something more than taking down the vermin that plague the streets of the Scottish city. His mind is focused on the passionate interlude he had with the good Doctor Sophie Martin two weeks ago and how much he would love to repeat that moment. However, his past ways heavily on his mind and he’s not interested in sparking up any type of relationship with a human but when Ulrik decides to play a game using Sophie as an instrument ...more
Adriana
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darius is back. After Thorn left Edinburgh with his mate, it was up to Darius to return and continue tracking and killing the dark fae. The Dragon Kings, Rhi, warriors and druids had some progress cleaning the city streets of the evil fae, but there was something or someone else destroying the dark fae too. Reapers? As less and less dark fae wondered the streets, Darius found himself drifting towards the hospital where the captivating Dr. Sophie worked. Darius couldn’t help himself and sought he ...more
pwnedbythebook
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love love loooooved this book! I was agitated for nearly two weeks because I could barely get through more than 1-4 chapters at a time a day with schoolwork, and it nearly killed me. I’m serious. I was dying to pick it up constantly because I NEEDED Darius! So, in Passion Ignites, I really fell for Darius while he and Thorn were partnered up, taking on the Dark Fae. He is so honest, open, and real. He was utterly breathtaking in his refreshing warrior ways with an obvious heart of gold and an ...more
Bridgette South
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say about this because wow very refreshing!

This book was in the same realm as the rest of Donna’s books however… In this one we got a fresh taste and got to see how it is when the attraction is immediate but the actual coming to terms with the entire relationship and the sacrifices that it would take actually way down on the characters. Sophie Martin is a Doctor Who is doing very well in her career and is very excited to be advancing as quickly as she is and Darius was a very large fo
Michelle Graves
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ulrick needs a good ass kicking asap!! There's no reason 2 hurt innocent people like the Dr and nurse cause he's being a dick head. He needs 2 let it slip about his uncle and deal with him 1st especially after what he did 2 rhi and the mates. He can't have things both ways helping them and turn around and want 2 kill them cause of his past. He really needs a mate of his own asap 2 stop this bullshit. WTF is going on with Con? He doesn't make sense either. He needs 2 stop telling his king's not 2 ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Darkest Assassin (Lords of the Underworld, #14.6)
  • The Darkest King (Lords of the Underworld, #15)
  • Chained by Night (MoonBound Clan Vampire, #2)
  • Frost and Flame (Gods of War, #2)
  • My Sinful Desire (Sinful Men #2)
  • Beauty Awakened (Angels of the Dark, #2, Lords of the Underworld #9.5)
  • My Sinful Longing (Sinful Men #3)
  • Forsaken by Night (MoonBound Clan Vampires, #2.5)
  • Razr (Demonica Underworld #4; Demonica #15; 1001 Dark Nights #56)
  • The Sinner (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #18)
  • Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows, #1)
  • Hades (Demonica Underworld #2; Lords of Deliverance #6.5; Demonica #13)
  • Stroke of Midnight (Midnight Breed #13.5)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • Undead and Unsure (Undead, #12)
  • Undead and Unstable (Undead, #11)
  • Lost Embrace (Immortals of New Orleans, #6.5)
  • Undead and Undermined (Undead, #10)
Donna is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over a hundred novels. Her most popular series is the breathtaking Dark King (aka Dragon King) series featuring dragons, immortal Highlanders, and the Fae.

In addition to her novels, Donna has written short stories, novellas, and novelettes for digital-first and print release. She has been dubbed as giving the “paranormal genre a burst

Dark Kings (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Darkest Flame (Dark Kings, #1)
  • Fire Rising (Dark Kings, #2)
  • Burning Desire (Dark Kings, #3)
  • Hot Blooded (Dark Kings, #4)
  • Night's Blaze (Dark Kings, #5)
  • Soul Scorched (Dark Kings, #6)
  • Passion Ignites (Dark Kings, #7)
  • Smoke and Fire (Dark Kings, #9)
  • Firestorm (Dark Kings, #10)
  • Blaze (Dark Kings, #11)

News & Interviews

“She looked Con up and down. ... "I went to do your stupid ass a favor. Next time I'll decline."
She started to turn away when his hand wrapped around her arm to hold her. Rhi looked down at his fingers, then at his face.
"I doona trust you."
"You never have," she responded coolly. "This is nothing new."
He yanked her close so that their faces were inches apart. "If you betray us, there's nowhere you can hid where I won't find you. And kill you."
She smiled, briefly debating putting her lips to his and seeing his reaction. Right before she teleported away, she said, "Kiss my grits.”
3 likes
“Sophie had survived on her own for a long time. She knew she didn't need a man, not even Darius.
But she wanted him.
That made all the difference in the end.”
2 likes