Start by marking “Smoldering Hunger (Dark Kings, #8)” as Want to Read:
Smoldering Hunger (Dark Kings, #8)

Smoldering Hunger

(Dark Kings #8)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  987 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
TEMPTING FATE
Darius is back. Edinburg thought it had seen the last of this seductive Dragon King, but that was before Darius found something worthwhile. He just can't stay away from the impossibly beautiful Dr. Sophie Martin-even though he knows that a passion this strong could prove detrimental...for them both.

CRAVING DESIRE
Sophie tried to forget her encounter with smoki
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published December 29th 2015 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Smoldering Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoldering Hunger

XxTainaxX
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
The story seemed to cover Sophie and Darius on a level close to the surface. There was SO much about everything and everybody else that I still have no clue who the MCs are and why they belong together. They shared very few important moments/information with each other. Their relationship was almost entirely physical. The story was too "busy" that the details were lost. I know am fairly confident I know who Rhi's King is.

ARC received in exchange for an honest review.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

It’s been two weeks since Sophie and Darius had a quick romp outside of the hospital that Sophie works at. But now trouble seems to be finding the good doctor when Ulrik enters the hospital, searching for Sophie. Instead of keeping his distance, Darius protects her but it’s at a cost. He’s becoming more and more drawn to her. Until he is unable to stay away.

I really loved the romance between Sophie and Darius. It’s right up front and centre of this story and becomes the driving force. Grant con
Nicole
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arcs

ARC kindly provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

4^^^^ passionate stars from me

These dragons can't fail you!! Smoldering hunger is the eighth story of Dark King series. In this story we have the sweet Dr Sophie Martin and Darius, well i can say that it was very enjoyable with a lot of passion and attraction between the hero and heroine.

After some passionate moments with Darius, Sophie promised never let a man close to her heart again..but days later Darius is back, threate
Valerie
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars!

Darius is irresistible! The lovely Dr. Sophie Martin certainly can't resist him. And the way their smokin' hot relationship starts is telling of their chemistry. No way these two can stay apart.

As I've come to expect, I love the writing and world this series is set in. My only issues has been how slow the over arching story moves. I love that each book is about a different king and his mate so I'm trying to be patient with the coming (hopefully) demise of certain dragons. I dislike
Vanessa theJeepDiva
The ending of Passion Ignites has Darius and Sophie enjoying some intimate time together. This moment is also mentioned in Dark Alpha’s Claim. It is no secret that Darius is interested in repeating the events of that evening. Sophie has sworn never to let anyone get close to her again has no qualms about relishing Darius’s body again. Darius is not worried about finding his mate as so many of his fellow Dragons has. Something that has happened in his past reminds his that a mate is not something ...more
WTF Are You Reading?
* Reviewer's Note: Characters appearing in Smoldering Hunger are continuing a story line directly related to (Bk. 7) Passion Ignites. Therefore it is strongly suggested that one reads Passion Ignites, in order to fully understand the interrelationship of both stories to each other, and to the overall series.

Smoldering Hunger marks a definite change in tempo on all fronts, from the unexpected lull that readers were treated to in its predecessor, Passion Ignites.
While embers of both story and pass
litsiren
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
HONEST & MAY CONTAIN SPOILER REVIEW.

To be honest, I mostly skimmed on reading the main characters because it is just same old dragon + human dull lusty love story - I cared less.

I, however, do pay attention to these:

The war is still progress although with pretty much little action. Reading the kill of the Dark Fae is just same old same old with the previous books *sighing deeply* admittedly, boring.

I can't believe I said this; Rhi's gone pathetic over love and her Dragon King. She has a plen
Deannie
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a ride!!!!!!!! This is the eighth installment of the Dark King Series and its a HOME RUN!!!!!!!!! I just came off reading the first two of Reapers and right into this one and I mean Donna Grant doesn't miss a beat in writing laterally with her series. I love these characters, their life and how she keeps them all in each book and even manages to introduce more as she goes.

This book is about Darius. He is the King that told Rhi her lover no longer wanted her years and years ago. He is se
Janet Robel
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Hot and sexy paranormal romance that's sure to get your pulse pounding! These Highlander heroes are everything you could want and more. Darius and Sophie's story is going to be a tough act to follow for future books, but I am extremely curious to get the full story on Rhi since we get just enough tidbits about her to wet our appetites. Darius is one Dragon King who will make you sigh and wish for one of your own.
Paraphrodite
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
After 8 books, I think we've been teased long enough about the great BIG fight between Ulrik and Con. Hope Ms Grant brings it on soon... That teaser between them in this book is just mean!
Candy Varty
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best ones, Darius oh my word, What a man, what a dragon. Such intense scenes. I love it. I want more
Linda
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
An ultra intense installment featuring Darius, the dragon king of the purples and the Doc!

She'd come across a few Highlanders while in Edinburgh, but none compared to Darius. She didn't even have to ask if he was a Highlander.
It was in the way he held himself, the way he spoke. It was a look that couldn't be faked or copied. Whatever made a man a Highlander was in his blood, in his very soul.

SMOLDERING HUNGER by Donna Grant is an ultra intense installment in Donna's fantastic Dark Kings serie
Eva Millien
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Endinburg thought it had seen the last of the seductive Dragon King but Darius has found something worthwhile, something that could prove detrimental for him and the beautiful Dr. Sophie Martin in this electrifying Dark King novel.

Sophie tried to forget her encounter with the smoking-hot Darius but he’s in her dreams, tempting her and the reader can’t help but enjoy the electric passion that fills this romance as Sophie discovers that she can’t resist him even as her association with him puts he
Dayreader Reviews
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Smoldering Hunger is the eighth book in Donna Grant's Dragon King series, and it has quite a following. You would think after so many books, that the world she has created would lose it's luster. But it's just the opposite. Her writing is impeccable and her imagination knows no bounds.

What makes Donna Grant's paranormal world so different - it's grounded in human emotions. Donna has created a world where dragons are real, where fae are real, a world where real monsters do exist, and supernatura
Chantale Canadian Book Addict
If you have been a reader of my blog for a while now you probably noticed that I am a huge Donna Grant fan. I have read many of her books and I know I will be reading many more of her books because I have been loving all her books to far.

Well it comes to no surprise that I love this book as much as all the others in this series. It is so well written and I was sucked into this book right away and I didn't want to stop reading.

This is book 8 in the Dark Kings series.

I highly recommend this book.
Heather andrews
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Darius could be daft at times but it was funny when he doesn't get a certain meaning, “protection?” Darius was confused. Was she asking him to protect her from Ulrik?" Darius is a passionate dragon man and I loved that, “you have me. All of me.” He pressed his arousal into her sex. “All the time.” She laughed and kissed him." I enjoy this series I love these dragon men.
Jenn
Loved everything about this. The end had me squealing and smiling like a fool. Bring on the next book!!! I want more!!!
Paranormal Romance
No matter how hard she tries, she just can't get the memory out of her head of the night of passion she shared with the hero before he vanished from her life. It's strange for her, a woman who distrusts everyone and lives a sheltered and secluded life, to long for a man like she does the hero but something about him makes him unlike any other man she has ever met. She doesn't care about the reasons why she shouldn't care abut him, like the fact that he's mysterious and dangerous and her past exp ...more
OpenBookSociety.com

ISBN# 9781250071958
Author’s Website: http://www.donnagrant.com/
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

We met Dr. Sophie Martin in the previous installment of the series, Passion Ignites, when she came to treat Lexi when she was ill. She also had quite the intimate encounter with Dragon King, Darius! Now Darius is back in Edinburgh and can’t quite get the good doctor out of h
Joy
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Darius is still in Edinburgh hunting down Dark Fae but his mind is on something more than taking down the vermin that plague the streets of the Scottish city. His mind is focused on the passionate interlude he had with the good Doctor Sophie Martin two weeks ago and how much he would love to repeat that moment. However, his past ways heavily on his mind and he’s not interested in sparking up any type of relationship with a human but when Ulrik decides to play a game using Sophie as an instrument ...more
Lacy
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love love loooooved this book! I was agitated for nearly two weeks because I could barely get through more than 1-4 chapters at a time a day with schoolwork, and it nearly killed me. I’m serious. I was dying to pick it up constantly because I NEEDED Darius! So, in Passion Ignites, I really fell for Darius while he and Thorn were partnered up, taking on the Dark Fae. He is so honest, open, and real. He was utterly breathtaking in his refreshing warrior ways with an obvious heart of gold and an ...more
Hope Frost
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Darius and Sophie was hot from the start and at first I thought their story would be sex, and pretty much nothing else. I am not a fan of sex for the sake of having sex in a story. The story did end up getting better and more complex. I loved the part with Rhi and Badallyn more than Darius and Sophie, and I hate to say that, but I don't think that any love story can be based on sex and for me, this was one step down from erotica where they are concerned. Again, Ulrik has me scratching my head. I ...more
* Booksessed * Bec
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-net-galley
Another great installment in the series. I love all of the characters and sub plots. I'm hoping we read more on what's going on with con, and rhi, as before I thought he was her mystery ex now I'm not sure who it is. I'm looking forward to the next

Book provided by the publisher for an honest review.
Elizabeth Maldonado
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Real review 3.8. I actually enjoyed this book a lot but the reason it was not a full four is because the last chapters I was more interested in Rhi's story than the main couple. I do also agree that each story of this series tends to be repetitive, which does get old but since I think the series is almost done, I will continue to read the books.
Kakashi Wolf
Lust

I have plenty of books I need to review, but this book struck me to be the first. There wasn't much to the plotline, at least not for the main couple. Darius and Sophie's relationship was based on physical, nothing else.

Won't stop me from reading the series, but it is why this book is a 3.5 to me. I'm sorry Donna Grant, I love the series, and I cannot wait for more.
Barbara Stewart
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these dragon kings books. This one is Darius and he said he can't have a mate since he had his already. Lost his mate and baby.. he meets a dr who he can't take his mind off of and still the bound dragon is causing troubles.
Karen Machamer
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donna-grant
Awesome

Donna Grants books just get better with each one. I highly recommend her books to everyone. I am working my way from the beginning of this series and will be starting another one of her series after this one.
Melissa
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked as always

Dang if I am frustrated and wanting all answers now. I love these series but now have to read th reapers to catch on them .
This was quick and very sexy and dang need more answers.
Karen Machamer
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: donna-grant
Kimi5564
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
It only took 23 books for me to finally feel some emotion.
  • Along Came a Spider (Transplanted Tales, #3)
  • Bring Me a Dream (Reveler, #5)
  • Wolf's Fall (Alpha Pack, #6)
  • Forever Dusk (Mortal Machine, #3)
  • Burned by Darkness (Dragons of Eternity, #1)
  • Fury of Obsession (Dragonfury, #5)
  • To Catch His Mate (Crescent Moon, #5)
  • Immortal Hunter (Execution Underground, #2)
  • Savage Chains: Scarred (Men in Chains, #1.6)
  • Dragon Her Back (Las Vegas Dragons, #3)
  • Beyond the Darkness (Darkness, #3)
  • Dangerous to Know (Unbroken Heroes, #1)
  • Shadow's End (Elder Races, #9)
  • SEAL Wolf In Too Deep (Heart of the Wolf, #18)
  • The Whisky Laird's Bed (The Rake Patrol, #2)
  • Even Vampires Get the Blues (Deadly Angels, #6)
  • Violca's Dragon (The Dragon Ruby #1)
  • Her Secret Agent (X-Ops, #0.5)
Donna is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over forty-five novels. Her most popular series is the breathtaking Dark King (aka Dragon King) series featuring dragons, immortal Highlanders, and the Fae.

In addition to her novels, Donna has written over forty short stories, novellas, and novelettes for digital-first and print release. She has been dubbed as giving the “paranormal g

Dark Kings (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Darkest Flame (Dark Kings, #1)
  • Fire Rising (Dark Kings, #2)
  • Burning Desire (Dark Kings, #3)
  • Hot Blooded (Dark Kings, #4)
  • Night's Blaze (Dark Kings, #5)
  • Soul Scorched (Dark Kings, #6)
  • Passion Ignites (Dark Kings, #7)
  • Smoke and Fire (Dark Kings, #9)
  • Firestorm (Dark Kings, #10)
  • Blaze (Dark Kings, #11)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
  • The Boy I Hate
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Every Little Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Girls of Mischief Bay (Mischief Bay, #1)
  • Happy All the Time
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Devil's Cut (The Bourbon Kings, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Atheists Who Kneel and Pray
  • Hold On My Heart
    $4.49 $0.99
“She looked Con up and down. ... "I went to do your stupid ass a favor. Next time I'll decline."
She started to turn away when his hand wrapped around her arm to hold her. Rhi looked down at his fingers, then at his face.
"I doona trust you."
"You never have," she responded coolly. "This is nothing new."
He yanked her close so that their faces were inches apart. "If you betray us, there's nowhere you can hid where I won't find you. And kill you."
She smiled, briefly debating putting her lips to his and seeing his reaction. Right before she teleported away, she said, "Kiss my grits.”
3 likes
“Sophie had survived on her own for a long time. She knew she didn't need a man, not even Darius.
But she wanted him.
That made all the difference in the end.”
2 likes