Start by marking “Season of Mists (The Sandman, #4)” as Want to Read:
Season of Mists (The Sandman, #4)

Season of Mists

(The Sandman #4)

4.54  ·  Rating details ·  55,255 ratings  ·  1,490 reviews
Reprints issues 21-28 of the Vertigo DC Comics series; introduces Lucifer and The Endless
Published March 10th 1999 by Vertigo (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Season of Mists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season of Mists

·  55,255 ratings  ·  1,490 reviews

Bill  Kerwin

Neil Gaiman is at his best when his imagination is peopled with gods and demons—magnificent, outsize personalities, ranging from the eerily transcendent to the surprisingly human—and the tale he chooses to tell in “Season of Mists” gives him ample room to create a godly and superior fantasy.

The plot is simple. Lucifer abdicates the throne of Hell, sending the damned back to earth, and turns the keys over to Dream. Dream doesn’t really want the property—too vast, too hard to keep up—but a lot if
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I find myself at a loss for words whenever I come to review a volume of this series, simply because it is just that good. What is there to talk of that will do it justice? Could I speak of the intelligent weaving of mythological figures with distinctively human personalities? No. Not enough. Could I speak of the literary allusions and most apt references to long dead poets and writers? No. Not enough. One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that Gaiman is a genius.

This is by far the bes
Alejandro
The story goes to Hell, in more than one sense.

Creative Team:

Writer: Neil Gaiman

Illustrators: Kelly Jones, Malcolm Jones III, Mike Dringenberg, Matt Wagner, Dick Giordano, George Pratt & P. Craig Russell

Covers: Dave McKean

Letterer: Todd Klein

FAMILY REUNIONS, HELLISH KEYS, BOARDING SCHOOLS & DIVINE PARTIES

Yet another impressive introduction to the TPB by Harlan Ellison, denoting again that The Sandman is something else in the middle of the genre of comic books.

Sometimes we can choose
Patrick
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the point in the series where shit gets real.

For one thing, this is the first glimpse you have of how truly mythically all-encompasing this series is. You have Odin, the Lucifer, some Faeries, Demons, a Japanese storm god, Bast and Anubis, two angelic presences, and other assorted powers all hanging out, not just in the same story. But on the same page.

And it makes sense. You're left thinking, oh, yeah. Sure. Why wouldn't Thor be hitting on Bast?

Even more importantly, this is the poin
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Now the good stuff really gets started.

Introducing most of the Eternals, we discover intrigue with Destiny, some deep sadness in Delirium, friendship in Death, capriciousness in Desire, and maybe a bit of reasonableness in Despair. Dream is there, of course, and he's rightly annoyed with his siblings.

He is, after all, the one who had perpetrated a great crime. Who are they to taunt him?

Ah, Nada. Such a tragic figure.

And she's only a plot hook!

Oh Hell... I'm not going to spoil Hell, but Dream goe
Sean Gibson
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been gradually warming to this series as it’s picked up momentum, and Vol. 4 proved to be a glorious realization of its vast potential. What begins as the weirdest family reunion of all time takes a turn when Dream’s family calls him out for the very douche bag move of condemning his ex-girlfriend to eternal damnation in a fit of pique because she totally wanted to date other people. Dream decides to journey to Hell to save her soul and hijinks ensue, not the least of which involves (view s ...more
Anthony Chavez
What happens when Lucifer decides to leave hell? Season of Mists, the fourth volume of The Sandman answers that question as Dream heads to Hell once again, this time to release a former lover who has been imprisoned and tortured for thousands of years. Upon arrival, he finds Hell deserted, and Lucifer ushering out the stragglers he has banished from the lands, he then hands dream the key to the kingdom.

This is the best of the first four volumes in the series, with "A Doll's House" a close secon
Kyriaki
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
3,5*
Σε αυτό τον τέταρτο τόμο είχαμε μια οικογενειακή συνάντηση των Endless, την εμφάνιση μιας παλιάς αγαπημένης, τον Lucifer που βαρέθηκε να είναι ο κυρίαρχος της Κόλασης, νεκρούς που κυκλοφορούν ελεύθεροι, ένα κλειδί και πολύ κόσμο που το διεκδικεί. Πολλά πράγματα μαζεμένα, είχε κάποια πολύ ωραία κομμάτια που είχαν ενδιαφέρον αλλά κάποιες άλλες φορές βαριόμουν και λίγο........γούστο είχε αλλά όχι από τους αγαπημένους μου τόμους.......

(*επίσης οι άγγελοι ελπίζω να μην ξαναεμφανιστούν! τα γράμματ
Algernon
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, comics, favorites
The speech of Lucifer Morningstar on giving up his responsibilities in Hell would be good enough to justify the five stars review, but there is a lot more to like in this new book of the Sandman comic. Like the old fashioned chapter headings, teasers of events to come and plot twists to discover:

issue 21 : In which a Family reunion occasions certain recriminations; assorted events are set in motion; and a relationship thought long done with proves to have much relevance today.

The prologue brin
Lyn
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
“So I'm back, to the velvet underground
Back to the floor, that I love
To a room with some lace and paper flowers
Back to the gypsy that I was
To the gypsy... that I was
And it all comes down to you
Well, you know that it does
Well, lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice
Ah, and it lights up the night” (Nicks: Welsh Witch Music)

When I think about Neil Gaiman’s work, it all comes back to American Gods. This is the book by him that to me is the most identifiable of his canon and the work upon so much
Char
This is my favorite entry in the Sandman series so far!

Here we learn a lot-for instance, all the supposed stand alone stories in Sandman 3: The Dream Country, were NOT all stand alones. Some of them do have connections that are referenced here.

The introduction by the irascible Harlan Ellison was fantastic. I know he's a curmudgeon, but I adore the man. His description of what happened when one of Gaiman's comic book stories won the World Fantasy Award was freaking hilarious.

I didn't enjoy the
Johann (jobis89)
My favourite so far. INCREDIBLE. Full review to come.
Murat S. Dural
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bayıldım... "Sandman" efsanesi her ciltinde daha da acayipleşiyor. "Sandman: Sisler Mevsimi" çizimler ve diyaloglar gerçekten çok güzel. İthaki Yayınları'nın basım özeni, kalitesi ayrı Elif Ersavcı'nın çevirisi ayrı güzel. Ama en önemlisi bu çizgi romanı benzersiz (hatta diğer ciltlerden de), üstün kılan tarafı (naçizane bence) kurgusu / Öyküsü. Neil Gaiman'ın "Sandman sevenler muhakkak okur, fazla kasmaya gerek yok" dememiş. Özenli, hoş bir eser olmuş.
Sercan Vatansever
her güzel şey gibi kısaydı. bitince yapacak bir şey bulamadım resmen...
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl.com)
I'm starting to think maybe these comics just aren't for me. This was hard to get through. I enjoyed the first scene where Dream and his siblings get together. Most of the story involved Dream going to Hell to retrieve a woman he had condemned there 10,000 years ago for rejecting him (what a dick). Lucifer doesn't even want to be King of Hell anymore and gives it to Dream. He doesn't want it either and ends up giving it back to two angels. So Hell will be Hell once again, but with angels oversee ...more
Ronyell
After reading more of Neil Gaiman’s classic “Sandman” series, I never would have thought that the stories would get better and better and the fourth volume “Season of Mists” certainly did not disappoint me! Dream (Morpheus) definitely got his hands full in this volume that will reveal many shocking surprises for the fans of the fantastic “Sandman” series!

In this volume “Season of Mists,” when a family meeting between the Endless ends up revealing Dream’s past horrible deed of condemning the woma
Nicolo Yu
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Beware of gifts from the Devil, a lesson that Dream learned too late when he entered the realm of Hell, ready to do battle with Lucifer if necessary, only to have the Lord of Hell tell his gift he was closing shop. There was to be no battle unless Dream wanted it so and only a gift for his guest, the key of Hell. Now the reluctant owner of a prime piece of psychic real estate, Morpheus gets embroiled by a series of supplicants from various pantheons seeking the key and eager to offer gifts, thre ...more
Caro the Helmet Lady
It was so, SO good, it left me in weird state of mind - it's like you're high, but not really.

Remember the guy from vol. 3, the writer, who was punished by Morpheus by having too many ideas? I think it's Gaiman himself, having all those ideas, but not being unhappy because of that in the slightest.

He proves all the time that he actually can build the worlds and create all those characters with their own worlds, and although it's not in the story, you get a taste of that, that the box contains
Stuart
The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists: Deities scramble to fill a vacancy in Hell

After the stand-alone stories of Vol 3, many of which only feature Morpheus in the background, in Vol 4 the Sandman takes center stage once again. The Prologue sets the stage for a new story-arc, as Destiny strolls through his barren garden, in his monk’s cowl and with his huge book, and encounters the three Fates. As usual, they drop some cryptic clues that big events are afoot and then depart. Destiny checks his bo
Antonio
sensacional
Marko Radosavljevic
Gejmen je upravo kod mene utvrdio poziciju,tako da i da napiše spisak za kupovinu,čitaće se
El
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I had hoped after reading Volume Three, the fourth volume does get back into the meat of the story and we learn more about the Endless, which is what I've been waiting for all along. This quaint little family convinces Dream that this thing he did a bazillion years ago was totally uncool and he's sort of a douche for it, and he's all "Really? Huh, I gueeeessss..." and he goes off to make things all better again. But it's not just a matter of strolling into Hell and fixing shit, because, well, ...more
J.G. Keely
It is unfortunate that Gaiman seems to be unable to surrender his archetypal cast to either humanity or inhumanity, but lets them sit awkwardly in the middle. Though he often presents Dream and his siblings as falling to love or petty squabbling, their reactions to such are often not to work towards decision, but to subside. In those cases where they do act, it becomes merely a meaningless exercise to continue the story. When this is done for the purpose of framing other tales and interweaving i ...more
Paul
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
An endless family meeting has been called. Soon after they all arrive, Desire taunts Morpheus about the way he treated a former lover, Nada and condemned her to hell. His sister Death agrees, and he decides there and then to visit hell to bring her back. On his arrival, Lucifer expels all demons from the domain and gives Morpheus the key.

As soon as it is know, other immortals journey to Morpheus at the dreaming to plead for control. They offer certain thing in exchange; Morpheus hears them all,
Teresa
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You've heard the expression about the gates of Hell being opened, but what if the gates of Hell are locked? Lucifer evicts his tenants, abdicates and gives the key to Morpheus. The demons want back in; various mythological creatures want the property given to them; but where do the souls from Hell go in the meantime? The story of a boy left behind at his boarding school during the holidays was probably my favorite part of all this imagining.
Amanda
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely my favorite one so far. I was disappointed in vol 3 but things really felt like they came together in this one. The family meeting at the beginning was great and a great lead in to all that follows.
Hasret Okyanus Sarı
It's better to watch the sunset than to reign in hell, I suppose.
Wing Kee
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mind explodingly good.

World: The art of the series has been fantastic, atmospheric, creative and just beautiful. The world building here I can't even explain how it made my brain explode. The depth, the creativity, I can't truly express it in words that would do it justice. Just read it (I'm sorry for being vague).

Story: The story is a payoff for a single issue tale that came before and it's fantastic. The idea of Hell and what happens there and the entire story is astoundingly creatively good.
Airiz C
For me, Season of Mists (The Sandman volume 4, issues 21-28) is where Neil Gaiman really starts to unspool the threads of his own magic at length, weaving them to the first filaments of the series’ foundation that we found in Preludes and Nocturnes and The Doll’s House. Here we get more than just fragments of the enigmatic central character of the series, Morpheus; we get to see his depth and how he slowly gets to have more touches of humanity (maybe not the technically correct term but it’s the ...more
Lᴀʏᴀ Rᴀɴɪ #BookDiet2019
Since The Doll's House, I knew that Gaiman's The Sandman will soon have a special place in my heart. I was nineteen then, and this piece of literature was also a way for me to connect with my mentor (whom I was infatuated with as well). I was eager to get back to the major story arc with the Endless for Season of Mists, and I got exactly that; and a lot more than I anticipated.

In this volume, I've learned more about the Endless (Destiny, Despair and my eventual favorite Delirium make their appe
  • Lucifer, Vol. 11: Evensong
  • Fables, Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 8: Dirge (Transmetropolitan, #8)
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 4: A Murder of Crows
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 4: Bloody Hell in America

The Sandman (10 books)
  • Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)
  • Dream Country (The Sandman, #3)
  • A Game of You (The Sandman, #5)
  • Fables & Reflections (The Sandman, #6)
  • Brief Lives (The Sandman, #7)
  • World's End (The Sandman, #8)
  • The Kindly Ones (The Sandman, #9)
  • The Wake (The Sandman, #10)
“Sometimes we can choose the paths we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all.” 1143 likes
“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.” 834 likes