Start by marking “Dream Country (The Sandman, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dream Country (The Sandman, #3)

Dream Country

(The Sandman #3)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  87,429 ratings  ·  1,748 reviews
The third volume of the Sandman collection is a series of four short comic book stories. In each of these otherwise unrelated stories, Morpheus serves only as a minor character. Here we meet the mother of Morpheus's son, find out what cats dream about, and discover the true origin behind Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream. The latter won a World Fantasy Award for best ...more
Published February 5th 1999 by DC Comics (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Dream Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream Country

·  87,429 ratings  ·  1,748 reviews

Bill  Kerwin

The third volume of The Sandman series is a bit of a mixed bag, since the individual stories, although all entertaining, vary in quality. And yet it also contains what may be the greatest Sandman tale of all time.

First of all, this volume is essentially half the length of the first two, consisting of four individual numbers instead of the customary eight. It is padded to something close to the normal length by the addition of an original Gaiman script (“Calliope”), which I’m sure will be of grea
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Sometimes I like to binge read a series, I enjoy it that much that I try to read it as quickly as possible. The real world ceases to exist for a few days. This really isn’t anything particularly remarkable to say about a series, most readers do this sort of thing. Though every so often, maybe once every two to three years or so of reading, a series will come along that is so utterly excellent that I don’t want to read it. I mean, I don’t want to finish reading it. So I pace myself, I take my tim ...more
Alejandro
The Twilight Zone comes into The Dreaming.

Creative Team:

Writer: Neil Gaiman

Illustrators: Kelly Jones, Malcolm Jones III, Colleen Doran & Charles Vess

Letterer: Todd Klein

Covers: Dave McKean

MUSES, CATS, PLAYWRIGHTS & ELEMENTS

This is a wonderful volumen in the The Sandman run where the great storyteller, Neil Gaiman, unleashes his imagination to the fullest giving us the pleasure of reading four stories where anything can happen...

CALLIOPE

You have changed, Oneiros. In the old days, you
Patrick
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Note: This is part two of a rambling multi-volume re-read of the series. It will probably make better sense in context of other reviews...

The third volume of Sandman is several short stand-alone stories. It also includes my my favorite story in the entire series. Where Shakespeare's troupe performs Midsummer's Night's Dream for the assembled host of Faerie.

Midsummer's is my favorite of Shakespeare's plays, I should mention.

I remember reading this and thinking... "What? What the serious hell?
Anne
I quit.
Sandman is not for me. I can honestly see why so many of you love it, but...
I can't force myself to do this any longer!

I don't like the art. It reminds me of some scratchy shit that one of my kids drew. The difference is, the artist isn't one of my kids, so I don't feel the need to put this up on my refrigerator.
Sorry, I know a lot of you love this style.

There are few different stories in this one, and I didn't like any of them.
First one is about a writer who rapes a muse over and over a
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fairly short volume, but each story is tight and delightful. This is where I remember the Sandman comics coming into its own, and Morpheus himself hardly had any role in them. It's all about stories. Stories about stories. Of course, I can make the same argument about the entire run of the series, but like I said, this is where it comes into its own.

A kidnapped muse gets freed by her old lover. A cat's dreaming of a new and free world. What the Fae court really felt about A Midsummer N
Johann (jobis89)
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I only have two kinds of dreams: the bad and the terrible. Bad dreams I can cope with. They're just nightmares, and they end eventually. The terrible dreams are the good dreams."

Dream Country is composed of four independent short stories with no real continuation from the previous volume. The stories are centred around both imprisonment - whether that's physical or mental - and dreams, with the only connection to the previous volumes being the presence of characters we've already been introduce
Sean Gibson
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
All right...starting to feel it now. I'm digging it. Let's keep this Dream train rolling, Gaiman. Onto Vol. 4.
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
An intermezzo between two longer story arcs, composed of four stand-alone issues. Part of the appeal for me is in the quality of work from the guest artists, Charles Vess and Kelley Jones in particular, but the main attraction remains in the creative writing of Gaiman.

17 - Calliope - is a story about a muse from ancient Greece, a prisoner of the mortal plane where she is enslaved and abused by a writer who wants fame and fortune.

18 - A Dream of a Thousand Cats - a story for cat lovers everywher
Sam Quixote
I’ve been re-reading a lot of books that I enjoyed years ago recently and it’s been very rewarding for the most part, rediscovering books I loved all over again. Unfortunately Sandman - a series I really liked the first time round - is not among them and it’s so disappointing! What I remember of Sandman was that the first two volumes weren’t that great (and that checks out) but that the series starts to take off in this third volume, Dream Country, and… it doesn’t. It’s basically stuck in the mu ...more
Auntie Terror
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one might be my favourite volume so far. [Prtf]
Char

The Dream Country contains 4 stand alone stories and Morpheus is mentioned only as a side character in A Midsummer Night's Dream, which won The World Fantasy Award.

Even though that story won a big award, it was not my favorite in the collection- I much preferred both Calliope and Facade. In Calliope, a man discovers and abuses his muse and in Facade we learn a lot about the faces we wear and the sister of Morpheus, Death, plays a role. How can an immortal commit suicide? If Death doesn't know,
Kyriaki
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Τρίτος τόμος και ήταν σχετικά με τα 2 προηγούμενα λίγο πιο αδύναμος. Σε αντίθεση με τα άλλα δύο αυτό δεν έχει μια μονοκόμματη υπόθεση αλλά 4 αυτόνομες μικρότερες ιστορίες (σαν συλλογή διηγημάτων ένα πράγμα) με κοινό παρονομαστή τους Endless, τρεις τον Morpheus(περίπου) και μια την Death, η οποία σε κάθε της εμφάνιση είναι απολαυστική! Γενικά την είχε την πλάκα του!

η άποψη μου για όλη τη σειρά εδώ:
Obsidian
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2017
I did like this, but thought that it was a bit all over the place. I only really liked one issue and that was the one dealing with Death and the woman who was not a woman, Rainie. There seemed to be no connection between these issues and I thought that the issue ending on scripts of whatever for this volume was boring. I just skipped all over that.

"Calliope" was a great story and we find out more about this Muse and her relationship with Dream. I liked the idea of Dream having a son though what
Stephen
3.0 stars. A good collection of four unconnected solo stories. I did not like this volume as much as Volumes 1 and 2 but it is still worth reading. My favorite story is probably "A Midsummer Night's Dream" followed closely by "A Dream of A Thousand Cats." The former story is the only comic book to ever win the World Fantasy Award for Best Short Story.

Murat S. Dural
Açık konuşmak gerekirse sabırsızlıkla beklediğim üçüncü cilt önceki iki ciltin yanında sönük kaldı, içerik olarak beni doyurmadı. Tabii ki yine de Neil Gaiman ve usta çizerlerin işi.
Sercan Vatansever
'...sonra uyanıyorum, kendimle yüzleşiyorum.

Ve hala buradayım.

...bu gerçekten korkunç.'

Kısa kısa, bağlantısız hikayelerden oluşuyor. En sonuncusu favorim. Bu kadar fantastik olup da bu kadar karamsar olmayı herkes başaramaz. Çok, çok sevdim.
Elena
Every time I read a volume of Sandman, I desperately hope I'll love it. Then I get a sinking feeling as I read and find myself bored and unimpressed, and I start to fear that someone is going to show up at my door and revoke my nerd card. Because everyone loves Sandman. You can't be a nerd without adoring this series, whether or not you like any other graphic novel series. I...do not adore this series.

It seemed like it took me ages to get through the Midsummer Night's Dream section of this book
Floyd Pepper
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stripovi
Calliope *****
A Dream of a Thousand Cats ****
A Midsummer Nights Dream ****
Façade ****
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot.’

Dream Country by Neil Gaiman is the third volume in The Sandman graphic novels series. I’m starting to see now that Gaiman really does just add something different to each volume, and somehow manages to top its predecessor. Volume 3 is definitely my favourite so far.

In this instalment, there is no continuation from the previous volumes, and the only
Nicole
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, fantasy
Jenny Baker
Samane Hatam
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
کمیکخون نیستم. اما نمیتونم از سندمن بگذرم :دی
این جلد (؟) به گرد پای جلد اول و دوم هم نمیرسید. چهارتا داستان جداگانه داشت و به جز یکیشون، خود مورفیوس نقش چندانی توی ماجرا نداشت.

کالیوپه ۵*
ـ نویسندهها همه دروغگوئن عزیزم، مطمئنم خودت تا الان این رو فهمیدی، نه؟

این یکی داستان مورد علاقهم توی کل این جلد بود. همون شروع گیجکننده و شخصیتهای ناآشنای جلد اول و دوم؛ همون اشارات ریزی که کمکم مشخص میکنه شخصیتها کی هستن. همون گذر سریع زمان و طعنهی جلد اول در موردش. و دوباره رویایی که اگه از حد بگذره تبدیل به ک
Stuart
The Sandman, Vol 3: Dream Country: Four excellent stand-alone stories

Vol 3 features four stand-alone stories in the Sandman universe, “Calliope”, “A Dream of a Thousand Cats”, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, and “Facade”. After the introductory Vol 1, in which we learn about Morpheus and his quest to regain his position and powers as Lord of the Dreaming, and Vol 2, in which the young girl Rose Walker is at the center of a mysterious power struggle because she is a dream vortex, in Vol 3 Gaiman tre
Kaitlin
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I think that this one is probably my favourite of the Sandman Volumes so far and I read this as a part of the Booktubeathon. It was a very easy read and one which I enjoyed a lot because of the storyline. I have to say that the artwork of this series (as it changes artist every now and then or art style) is a little hit and miss, but the story works nearly all the time for me.

This one focuses on a few individually self-contained stories involving either Sandman himself, or some of
Arielle Walker
Strangely enough this was my favourite volume so far, though it was disconnected from the rest of the storylines. Essentially standalone tales, in the words of the author's website: "Dream Country is the first story arc made up entirely of different tales. We meet the mother of Morpheus's son, and find out what cats dream about. We also discover the origins of Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream. (The latter issue, number 19, is the only comic book ever to have won a World Fantasy Award.) Deat ...more
Alex Ristea
Wow. I'm glad I started reading The Sandman again.

Dream Country is the shortest of the series (I believe), comprised of four short stories. Take note of that before you get frustrated that none of the issues are part of a larger arc, like I did.

I'm still curious where this whole series is going, but this volume fleshed out the world a bit more, and is getting me to think about what I think the author thinks I should think about.

The artwork in this volume blew me away again. A perfect combination
aPriL does feral sometimes
Four stories which reveal how human desires for fantasy go a bit awry in the world of the Endless. Wait. Maybe it's the other way around.....

I loved two stories very much: A Midsummer Night's Dream, and A Dream of a Thousand Cats. The tale of the writers and the Muse is horrible. The Element girl fable was meh.

Still, altogether, if you can, buy the entire Sandman comic series. It is horrible and excellent.
Madeline O'Rourke
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-reads
I'm pretty sure every Gaiman review I've ever written echoes the same thought about my endless amazement at his imagination. Dream Country is no different.

This third instalment of The Sandman includes four separate stories following altogether different characters at very different points in time. They don't really connect to the larger narrative of the series, but they do a good job of illustrating some of the Sandman's history and character, and displaying how even he, an eternal being, has ch
Anthony Chavez
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Gaiman's The Sandman Vol. 3 "Dream Country" is more or less a collection of short stories that are related to the the series, but unrelated in terms of the main storyline that's been going on in the first two volumes. I hate when good storylines like that in "The Doll's House (Vol. 2)" get cut off with something unrelated like this book, but this tangent was good. I have heard Gaiman's short stories are amazing and the volumes in Dream Country are all unrelated short stories that touch on little ...more
  • Lucifer, Vol. 5: Inferno
  • Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 2: Love and Death

The Sandman (10 books)
  • Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)
  • Season of Mists (The Sandman, #4)
  • A Game of You (The Sandman, #5)
  • Fables & Reflections (The Sandman, #6)
  • Brief Lives (The Sandman, #7)
  • World's End (The Sandman, #8)
  • The Kindly Ones (The Sandman, #9)
  • The Wake (The Sandman, #10)
“Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot.” 2735 likes
“But he did not understand the price. Mortals never do. They only see the prize, their heart's desire, their dream... But the price of getting what you want, is getting what you once wanted.” 373 likes