Start by marking “Thinking It Through: An Introduction to Contemporary Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Thinking It Through: An Introduction to Contemporary Philosophy

Thinking It Through: An Introduction to Contemporary Philosophy

Thinking it Through is a thorough, vividly written introduction to contemporary philosophy and some of the most crucial questions of human existence, including the nature of mind and knowledge, the status of moral claims, the existence of God, the role of science, and the mysteries of language. Noted philosopher Kwame Anthony Appiah shows us what it means to "do" philosoph ...more
Published November 6th 2003 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Thinking It Through, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking It Through

Start your review of Thinking It Through: An Introduction to Contemporary Philosophy
Michael
120516: well. i decided to read this as it is introduction, is contemporary, is written by an African, an Africanamerican, is a different strain of philosophy- and though easy to read, it sums up all the reasons for me to not study analytic philosophy. just does not inspire me. on the other, this is a good intro. many philosophers i have read eg. Descartes, Kant, Hobbes, Bentham, Locke, many i have not read or know only a bit eg. Russell, Wittgenstein, Rawls, Nozick. chapters on major themes: Mi ...more
Minh Nhật
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
không biết phải được viết bởi 1 triết gia khá nổi tiếng không mà cuốn này đọc hay hơn hẳn những cuốn nhập môn triết học viết bởi những người nghiên cứu, giáo sư triết mà mình từng đọc.
Stephen Cranney
For being such a public intellectual I expected more I guess. Not very to-the-point, could have been more informative.
Jenny Wu
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This isn't a review, just keeping track of some thoughts and progress in life.

I can't really remember what my conception of philosophy was before reading this book and taking a Philosophy class but it has definitely changed. I no longer want to major in it but still find it valuable. I think reading this book has helped me ponder more about life's mysteries and gather others' interpretations. Maybe I've become more understanding. If you're reading this, please leave a recommendation for another
Falah Raheem
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Instead of reading about philosophers and schools of philosophy, this book teaches you how to philosophize? You actually share in an adventure to look at the world philosophically.
Bruce Reiter
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book to introduce general philosophical concepts and questions to the novice. The author takes great effort to provide the reader with working definitions of words and then builds concepts from the vocabulary. What struck me is the importance of the meaning of words. I get lazy when I use language and allowing a loose definition or imprecise meaning leads to misinterpretation. It also gave me a better insight into the linguist/philosophers and another good reading list. I wi ...more
Greg
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
This is a really excellent intro to philosophy of book. Each chapter is on a different topic (mind, knowledge, ethics, science, politics, language, etc...) and handled in a really accessible way. Appiah basically gives a brief overview of the debate in each field, enough to give people new to philosophy a respectable understanding of the material, without getting too bogged down in the nuances that would be lost on (or boring to) those not steeped in the literature.
luciddreamer99
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very exciting read, though it did take me a while to get through it. The book helps you think a little, as the title accurately suggests. A very approachable and sensible style makes for an interesting introduction to the subject. Also, this is a stepping stone book that may have you rushing to read other philosophy books mentioned or referred to within its pages.
Bob
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Kwame Anthony Appiah is one of our most articulate public intellectuals. This book came out a couple of years ago and it provides a clearly-written and jargon-free introduction to modern philosophy. Highly recommended!!!
همان
اگر مثل من به هر کدام از شاخه‌های فلسفه اندکی سر زده‌اید ( شاید درباره بعضی از آن‌ها نخوانده‌ باشید و فقط سوالاتی از آن‌ها در ذهنتان باشد) این کتاب می‌تواند شما را بیشتر در مسیر قالب‌های رایج فکری موجود در فلسفه بیندازد.
هر فصل این کتاب درباره یکی از مباحث موجود در فلسفه معاصر غرب است.
Spawk Hw
Jul 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book. Still intro level, but talks about the philsoophy most intro books shy away from. Great.
Landon W
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
An excellent introductory text that surveys a wide range of topics in an accessible format and style. A little light on ethics, to my recollection, but otherwise very good.
Hamed
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
کتاب درستی برای فهم فلسفه معاصر به صورت خلاصه و ابتدایی
Mahmoud Seifi
Dec 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
کتابي که داوطلبان دکتري فلسفه تحليلي آي پي ام بايد بخونن
Frank Spencer
This is a great read, if you want to sample issues in Philosophy.
Dallin
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it
not a good beginner to philosophy book
Ilya Gerner
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great intro to contemporary philosophy.
Goetz Kluge
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Read it as early in your life as possible.
This is a book by a "public intellectual" which is also is a good read for not so "intellectual" readers. That's just right.
Cainã Coutinho
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Das melhores introduções à filosofia contemporânea(analítica). Atual, abrangente, e escrito com clareza. Os capítulos sobre mente, conhecimento, moral e metafísica me foram de imensa ajuda.
Naryeong (leanne)
It gave me interesting perspectives to look at different types of contemporary philosophies in the world.
Michael J.J. Tiffany

• Identity: The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment
  • The Presocratic Philosophers
  • The Big Questions: Philosophy
  • Pandemic!: Covid-19 Shakes the World
  • The Work of Art in the Age of Its Technological Reproducibility, and Other Writings on Media
  • Rising Up and Rising Down: Some Thoughts on Violence, Freedom and Urgent Means
  • A Brief History of the Paradox: Philosophy and the Labyrinths of the Mind
  • The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less
  • 10 Moral Paradoxes
  • Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust
  • When Joy Came to Stay
  • Male and Female
  • 20th Victim (Women's Murder Club, #20)
  • The Freedom Paradox: Towards A Post-Secular Ethics
  • Imagination and the Meaningful Brain
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
  • Childhood and Society
  • Patterns of Culture
Kwame Anthony Appiah, the president of the PEN American Center, is the author of The Ethics of Identity, Thinking It Through: An Introduction to Contemporary Philosophy, The Honor Code and the prize-winning Cosmopolitanism. Raised in Ghana and educated in England, he has taught philosophy on three continents and is a former professor at Princeton University and currently has a position at NYU.

Ser

News & Interviews

“Self-regarding considerations can be as universalizable as other-regarding considerations: we owe things to ourselves as well to others” 0 likes