Start by marking “In kalter Absicht” as Want to Read:
In kalter Absicht

In kalter Absicht (Vik & Stubø #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  2,338 Ratings  ·  198 Reviews
One afternoon after school, nine-year-old Emilie doesn't come home. Her father finds the backpack from her late mother, that would never be abandoned willingly. A week later, a five-year-old boy goes missing. And then another child.

Meanwhile, Johanne Vik, a former FBI profiler with a troubled past and a difficult young daughter, tries to overturn a decades-old false murde
Published 2004 by Piper (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about In kalter Absicht, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In kalter Absicht

Lynda
description
"Now you've got what you deserved".

Scandinavia is one of the birthplaces of crime fiction. With novels selling millions of copies from Norway, Sweden and Denmark, it is easy to see why they have attributed a loyal fan base, with many published works being adapted for the big and small screen. Novelists and Nordic natives like Jo Nesbø, Hakan Nesser and Hanning Mankell are regularly touted the best in the business.

Child abduction and murder is at the cornerstone of this novel, my first of 2017 an
Rachel Hall
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Punishment (entitled What Is Mine in the US) is the first in the series which sees Detective Inspector Adam Stubo of the Oslo police pairing up with university lecturer and former FBI recruit, Johanne Vik. Already very successful in Europe, the first in this series is an absolutely enthralling novel which grasps the reader from the first few pages when a child in abducted and sets in motion a sinister sequence of abductions and murders which strikes fear into the heart of every parent in Norway. ...more
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
What a fabulous read! Chapter one and a child is abducted, immediately the heart quickens, the tension on the page is palpable, the tension I am feeling is sky high. Works of crime fiction where the victims are children are never an easy read – Anne Holt however has managed to write her victims (and their deaths) with a sensitivity that gave me permission to continue reading and to enjoy this well written narrative.

Well rounded characters, multiple viewpoints, historical crime and curre
Margaret
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This decidedly creepy thriller is based on the abduction of a series of children and goes back and forth between perspectives: abductor, abductee, investigator... Holt paints a chillingly normal portrait of all the characters - the villain, reluctant hero, police, children are all just normal folk. Their motivations and ultimate actions are occasionally shocking, but the characters feel like someone you know.

Although there are strands of many stories woven expertly in this novel, the main thread
Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The United States has no monopoly on the thriller genre. This is something Europeans, in particular Norwegians, have known for some time. But then, they’ve been reading Anne Holt for years.

Anne Holt is one of Norway’s most successful crime writers and her most recent book What is Mine is making its U.S. debut this year.

What is Mine is a serial killer crime novel, the first in what is to be a series featuring Johanne Vik and Adam Stubo, both middle-aged professionals who are caught up in a seri
Teri
Feb 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really hate a DNF but this is definitely one I just can't make myself keep reading. I gave it a good 100 pages and it's just so hard to read. The names are hard for me so I have been renaming all the characters just to try to get the book to flow better. That didn't work though and it's just dragging along. I'm not too fond of some of the happenings in the book either so I just plain ol give up it's time to move onto something I will enjoy more.
Mariella Deliyannis
Τη σειρά των Βικ και Στούμπο, την άρχισα λίγο ανάποδα, διαβάζοντας αρχικά το δεύτερο βιβλίο της σειράς (μιας και το Μεταίχμιο άρχισε από αυτό) και διάβασα ένα χρόνο μετά (τώρα δηλαδή) το πρώτο. Στο δεύτερο βιβλίο είναι σαν να παρακολουθείς τη δεύτερη πράξη ενός θεατρικού έργου, πολύ ενδιαφέροντος μεν, αλλά που
πρέπει να έχεις δει και την πρώτη πράξη για να καταλάβεις πλήρως την ατμόσφαιρα και τα γεγονότα. Το πρώτο βιβλίο είχε δημοσιευθεί από κάποιες - νεκρές πλέον - εκδόσεις ΟΡΦΕΑΣ και μάλιστα ή
Ken
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
I've been reading a lot of SciFi and Fantasy lately and it's been a while since I've read any good thrillers so I decided to take a break with a Crime Fiction novel. Punishment also known as What is Mine is the first book in a Norwegian series featuring former FBI profiler Johanne Vik. What started off as an exciting story about kidnapped children and a crazed killer, only to be let down by a series of disappointing events that are too convenient and coincidental.

Joanne Vik was brought into the
Lynda Kelly
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed this one, the first in the Vik series. I've been reading the Hanne series and greatly enjoying them and was half wishing I wouldn't get them mixed up but they're both extremely different women so there's no danger of that. One thing I did especially notice was the translator for this series goes with English spellings which I prefer.
Something I wondered at which was probably a mistake was that chapter 15 in the table of contents was written this way but all the other chapters we
Sharon
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibook, purchased
The Vik/Stubø series. 2001 Det som er mitt (What is Mine/Punishment. iBook. 5/5+++
What a writer! How is it possible I've only discovered her even though I've been reading Scandinavian authors for two decades!? The first series, I thoroughly enjoy reading. And this the Stubo/Vik series is truly excellent writing. This is the first of five and a lot of time has been given to introduction to the characters before and now, when they come into each other's lives. There are two huge cases, a cold case
Ken Fredette
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good story. It comes from a true story that actually happened in Norway. Anne changed the story to make it readable and interesting. She did an outstanding job.
Karen
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first of the Johanne Vik & Adam Stubø books, PUNISHMENT, is now available in paperback locally. An excellent crime fiction series by Norwegian author Anne Holt, this has been a series that could be (well had to be) read out of order. Now there's something compelling about being able to go back to the start, and work your way through.

Originally read by this reviewer back in 2007, when it was newly translated, PUNISHMENT is the novel that introduces an unusual investigative (ultimately per
Floor Flawless
3,5 sterren. De hele tijd heb ik met het gevoel gezeten dat ik het wel een goed boek vond, maar dat ik er niet bijzonder enthousiast van werd. Toch heeft het einde mij weten te verrassen en vandaar die halve ster extra!
Karen
Jul 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, scandinavian
PUNISHMENT is the first in a newly translated, extremely successful series in Europe, featuring academic and former FBI profiler Johanne Vik and Detective Inspector Adam Stubo of the Oslo police.

When 9 year old Emilie goes missing her father is worried but not frantic. She'd done this once before just after her mother died. This time, they don't find her. When a little boy disappears and ultimately is returned to his parents; dead, no obvious cause of death, and a handwritten note: You Got What
Sharon Mensing
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first in the Stubo and Vik series set in Norway. Stubo is a policeman who has recently lost both his wife and daughter, and Vik is a female lecturer on criminology who has a mentally handicapped daughter. Stubo courts Vik, first professionally to help with a series of abductions and murders of children, and then personally. The developing relationship between the two is touchingly mature and characteristically (for Scandinavian literature) reserved, and it forms the backdrop for the search f ...more
Maria Beltrami
La gabbia psicologica che intrappola i protagonisti è molto ben descritta, e il loro modo di agire è decisamente norvegese: sono tutti dei benintenzionati dilettanti, perché in una società fondamentalmente esente da peccato originale come quella norvegese non ci sono molte possibilità di conoscere e far fronte a un male di qualsiasi tipo.
Forse c'è un po' troppa ingenuità nel pretendere che il serial killer dei bambini sia il figlio dell'uomo ingiustamente condannato per lo stesso delitto tanti a
Todd
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another mildly depressing police/detective/psychodramas from Scandinavia. I swear, despite what Marina told me, I don't think anyone in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, or Russia ever smiles let alone laughs or has a good time. But, the book is good...good like it feels after you recover from having hit your thumb with a hammer.
Cinthia Karina  Martinez
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
The book is about a serial killer with no heart . Who kidnappes little kids and than cruely kills them and than sends notes to there mother's saying " you got what you deserve " its a great book i loved it and i truly recommend it.
Alexandra Mills
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Definitely going to read her next one.
Maureen
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of twists and turns. A great read.
Antonomasia
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Antonomasia by: low price
I wanted to read crime fiction, and whilst The Murder of Halland was a good book (it was the only crime novel I had in the house, with the possible exception of the Peter Grant comic fantasy series), I craved a more traditional plot. A few years ago I enjoyed Holt's 1222, so looked for other Hanne Wilhelmsen novels, but this, the first in her Johanne Vik series, was about half the price.

This is part of the appeal of genre, patterns of events which recur like the steps of an old dance – I know I
Jayne Hastings
My first thoughts on Punishment was that there were two separate stories happening at once and there just didn't need to be.
One story told tales of child deaths and abductions, just like the blurb promises, and the other story told tales of a long forgotten case that didn't make sense with the overall plot line.

But, as I usually am when it comes to crime fiction, I was wrong. These two stories that didn't seem to relate to one another actually concluded in a way that makes sense and comes out of
TIMreading
Il primo di una serie di thriller investigativi che hanno conquistato mezzo mondo per la sottogliezza, i personaggi e i colpi di scena narrati dalla storia di una dolente, umanissima coppia di detective: l'investigatore Stubø e la criminologa Vik. Lui, che ha appena perso moglie e figlia in un incidente assurdo, sa che l'unico modo per venire a capo del caso dei bambini scomparsi è convincere Vik a partecipare alle indagini. Lei non ne ha proprio voglia, ma non può restare indifferente di fronte ...more
Anne Fenn
Well I read it in a day so that show it was quite a compelling read. However it probably helped that I skipped every section describing the killer and his victims. Children, I'm never going to read that. The main characters, Johannes Vik and Adam Stubo, are excellent creations, full of interest, with great backgrounds and ways of speaking. Set in Oslo.
Anne Robinson
I wish I could give this 4.5! A really excellent start to a series. I love the main characters, particularly Vik with her chaotic home life and interesting daughter. I also loved how the two main plot strands developed throughout the book and I cannot say more about that without spoilers. As I also have part two downloaded onto my iPad, I am going to start that without delay.
Pamela McLeod
I'm not sure if it's just something that was lost in translation, but I was enjoying this book up until the end when it abruptly stopped without properly answering things. And not in a cool open-ended, interpret it yourself way. It just felt like the interesting threads it had been weaving were just abandoned.
Paul Vernon
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, the characters are believable and interesting. I have read Anne Holt before but decided to read this series after watching "Modus" which is based on one of the books in the series.
Didu
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cazul insine este interesant dar modul in care este expus, este complet groaznic. Proasta carte.
Mary
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminiscent, actually written 10 years earlier, of a current best seller made into a movie, 'The Room."
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this forever ago. It was good, but a bit formulaic.
Around the Year i...: What is Mine, by Anne Holt 1 12 Sep 28, 2016 08:35AM
  • Missing
  • Slangebæreren (Cato Isaksen #1)
  • The Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • Hour of the Wolf (Inspector Van Veeteren #7)
  • Never End (Inspector Winter, #4)
  • Sprängaren (Annika Bengtzon, #4)
  • The Fourth Man
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • Il silenzio dei chiostri
  • Summer Death
  • The Cruel Stars of the Night
Anne Holt was born in Larvik, grew up in Lillestrøm and Tromsø, and moved to Oslo in 1978. She graduated with a law degree from the University of Bergen in 1986, and went on to work for The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) and then the Oslo Police Department, earning her right to practice as a lawyer in Norway. In 1990 she returned to NRK, where she worked one year as a journalist and anch ...more
More about Anne Holt...

Vik & Stubø (5 books)
  • What Never Happens (Vik & Stubø, #2)
  • Presidentens valg
  • Fear not (Vik & Stubø, #4)
  • Skyggedød