Start by marking “Panchatantra” as Want to Read:
Panchatantra

Panchatantra

This masterpiece of Indian Literature contains the most widely known stories in the world. Infact, it is universally acknowledged as the best collection of stories known to civilized man. It is presented in an artistic form of wise and witty stories that has never failed to bring delight to millions of people.
Published February 4th 2013 by Jaico Publishing House (first published -300)

To ask other readers questions about Panchatantra, please sign up.
Huda Aweys Did you mean that it is expensive or not?
Or what do you mean .. the value and worth to buy it?
Well it is not expensive, priced appropriately and can…more
Did you mean that it is expensive or not?
Or what do you mean .. the value and worth to buy it?
Well it is not expensive, priced appropriately and can be downloaded for free on some sites
  And book is values ​​are somewhat, to read (less)

Huda Aweys
We learned a lot about ethics and values through these tales when we were kids ! .. :) It's really nice,And I was like it ! ...more
Orient
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Panchatantra story of a monkey and a crocodile.Stories in stones, Tripurantakesvara Temple

It all started with Sreyas and me discussing tales and creatures in them. I presented him some of Lithuanian tale and myth heritage and he offered me to have a taste of his country’s folklore. “The tales of Panchatantra”. Nāndi, my friend 😉He cautioned me in advance that there are no dragons there.

“The Tales of Panchatantra” contains five books (“pancha” means “five” and “tantra” means “part”), each
Marquise
Insanely fun book collecting a myriad tales of animals and people, that can be read in just moments and that leaves you laughing and pensive. It's strikingly similar to Aesop's Fables, so similar that even if you lack the Indian cultural context for a lot of the tales (as I did), you'll still understand the general thrust of the story, both because they're very easy to understand and because you're likely to get the point from the Western animal fables you were taught growing up. There's also ha ...more
James Violand
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Aesop on steroids. Instead of the moral at the end of a fable, the characters recite morals throughout a fable, which may be within a fable, which is inside another fable, only then to reach a conclusion and a new moral. It reminds me of the movie "Inception" only not nearly as entertaining. There's only so much a black snake, lion, fish, turtle, crow or one of a myriad of animals can teach us without ennui settling in.
Brad
Jun 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore
These animal fables within the five books (pancha tantra) of a frame story collectively constitute nitishastra or scriptures on the wise conduct of life, not for the ascetic but for the person in the world. Apart from being the recognizable source for versions of fables later recounted by Aesop and others, the narratives are entertaining for their humor and social calculus. One of my favorite sections is the fourth book, Crows and Owls. After a parliament of the birds has decided to make owl the ...more
Ashish Iyer
The Panchatantra means five codes of conduct is an ancient Indian collection of interrelated animal fables. Originally narrated in Sanskrit. The Panchatantra illustrates the primary Hindu principles of niti - the wise conduct of life – through stories largely based on animal characters. It is one of the surviving work is dated to about 300 BCE, but the fables or stories are likely much more ancient. The text's author is unknown, but has been attributed to Vishnu Sharma. These stories of India is ...more
Isabelle
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to read this book because it is a very early record of the art of the fable, using animals for moral and/or philosophical teaching purposes. I think that having grown up learning and reciting one Lafontaine fable after another, year after year, has made me sensitive to the genre. So after Lafontaine and Aesop, the natural progression is the Panchatantra, I thought. It may well be so, and I am glad I read those fables for that very reason. However, I did not derive much enjoyment ...more
Rikkert Kuijper
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title and description are slightly misleading if you expect everyday folk wisdom. Without spoiling anything, the work consists of five ''books'' that are narrations by a wise man (Visnusárman), trying to educate three young stupid princes in the art of governance and general social conduct. The stories are riddled with their own sub-stories and fables, making it a very diverse read.

Basically, at any given point, you could be reading a story about a Brahmin and his Mongoose, which a snake is
Mae Winter
I would have preferred growing up on these tales rather than the ones of Brothers Grimm.
Mourya Biswas
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: rajit
Recommended to Mourya by: father
I learned so many things from ythis book, and yes this book is really superb.
Robert Sheppard
FOLKTALES AND FABLES IN WORLD LITERATURE--THE PANCHATANTRA, THE INDIAN AESOP, LA FONTAINE'S FABLES, THE PALI JATAKAS, THE BROTHERS GRIMM, CHARLES PERRAULT'S MOTHER GOOSE, THE CHINESE MONKEY KING, JOEL CHANDLER HARRIS' TAR-BABY & THE AMERINDIAN COYOTE AND TRICKSTER TALES ----FROM THE WORLD LITERATURE FORUM RECOMMENDED CLASSICS AND MASTERPIECES SERIES VIA GOODREADS—-ROBERT SHEPPARD, EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

Folk tales, folk song, folk legend and and folk lore have been with us since time immemorial and
Abhishek
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is perhaps the greatest self-help / practical wisdom book that I've ever come across. Before I get to the book, I must express my sincere homage to the translator. Hats off to Arthur W Ryder for producing this masterful English translation of the ancient Indian text. He has been as true to the original Sanskrit version, as is humanly possible. Especially commendable is the great care he took to translate the Sanskrit verses (in addition to the prose) to English counterparts (quite poet ...more
Dave
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Krystal
Indian stories whose authorship is generally attributed to Visnu Sarma in Sanscrit. Originally part of the Indian oral tradition these stories where compiled by Sarma as a means to educate a King's dolt sons in the art of good government. Generally believed to be the original source of Aesop's Fables the stories use animals as the main characters to make a point on how to govern.

These stories can be suitable for children as well as adults, and even though violent ends come to some of the charac
Swamy Gorrela
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories were not new to indians.One way or other, everyone must have listened to these stories at some point of time. Naturally, they are/were best moral stories i have ever read/heard. <3
Greg
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-literary
In the preamble, the genesis of the book and its lasting influence is described. “With the aid of these tales, he instructed the princes. They too, learning through these stories, became in six months what Visnu Sarna had promised they would. Since then, this work on practical wisdom has become celebrated as an excellent means of awakening and training young minds.” (5) It is in this spirit that this great book of Sanskrit fables proceeds. Designed to train young minds, they are as a collection ...more
Pawan
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of us have read or heard tales of “Panchatantra” at some point of time or other in our life. These are classic animal fables attributed to have written by “Vishnu Sharma” more than two thousand years ago in Sanskrit. The origin of stories must have been still older and probably they were passed on from generations to generations through the art of story telling. I wanted to get hold of complete book and read it in Hindi and luckily found the book in recent book
lynne naranek
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This was a long read. Amusing, educational, and entertaining too.

The premise is simple: a King at wit's end about how to awaken the intelligence of his sons engages the services of Visnu Sarma, who proceed to educate the princes via tales, not unlike Aesop's fables.

What I enjoyed was how the stories were structured. Each of the five (panca) have a large frame within which many many MANY smaller tales appear. You'll have two characters in a situation, one wants to do something, the other either
José
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while since I've read this, but only now am I taking the time to review it. Panchatantra, credited to Vishnu Sharma, is a very comprehensive book on correct Indian practices during the 3rd century BCE through mostly fables. One of the best parts of this book is the sort of matryoshka-ish storytelling that delves deeper into itself while explaining those practices and really immerses the reader into an interesting experience of learning.

Besides that, another interesting aspect of i
Ila
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read and re-read and re-read this book while growing up. Had already known quite a few of the tales from the text-books, newspaper/magazines and listening as bed-time stories. They had tremendous impact on that kid in me.. and there it began.. my love for 'short stories'.
I was reading this book again 2-3 years back (the grown-up me), and realized I wasnt as thrilled as used to be.. it can be partly attributed to these were 'known by heart' tales and partially that I had grown up.
therefore cou
Sunitha Prabhu
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A king, worried that his three sons are not wise enough for this world of wile and guile, asks a learned man named Vishnu Sharman to teach them the ways of the world. Since his students were truly dim, Vishnu Sharman decides to pass on wisdom to them in the form of stories.

The Panchatantra tales have regaled children and adults alike with a moral at the end of every story for over two millennia. The stories have been translated into nearly every language in the world that has a script.
Digendra Sharma
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really interesting and amazing stories linked to each other witch makes this book more interesting to read.........and the best part is that every story in the book teaches a lesson for life to you in a nice way......geniously written for reader to feel that each story is written for his age group but the genious part is that the book is written irrespective of any age group ...incredible recommended to every age group.......:D
Emily
Stories I read:

The Foolish Friend.
Dharmabuddhi and Pâpabuddhi.
The Bullock's Balls.
The Gold-Giving Snake.
The Dog That Went Abroad.
The Brahman's Wife and the Mongoose.
The Fish That Were Too Clever.
The Two-Headed Weaver.
The Broken Pot.
The Enchanted Brahman's Son.
John  Trident
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Panchateertha

As the name describes, Panchateertha is an onomatopoeia which derives from the process of onomastics based on a linguistic language called 'sanskrit.' It refers to the five pilgrimages which enables & helps the soul seek salvation, freedom from all the shackles of materialistic life. It also helps it to reach the destination of enlightenment where all the living beings long for eternal peace.

Cover is okay. I feel it could have been better designed. It doesn't integrate much with
Mishica
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best stories for children. I personally like them as i grew up reading panchatantra tales.

Written in forest-animal backdrop these stories teaches us how to be a good king and ruler. What is the code of conduct and also tells us what happens when one overlooks them. These tales were composed for young princes to teach them lessons of morality, to impart knowledge and wisdom and to prepare them for future kingship.

It also holds good in today's scenario and young children should read t
Steve Browne
So pessimistic! These fables and proverbs annoyed me. The animal fables were mainly about betrayal and murder, and were written for those who would be rulers instead of those who want general guidance in life though "Don't crush your testicles" would be a good moral for one story. For the rest of the stories: "You should kill and eat your friend before they kill and eat you."

There are too many proverbs like this:
Sacrifice a man to save the family;
Sacrifice a family to save the village,
Sacrifice
Story Life
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Panchatantra stories are classic stories and very old. It's been told by scholar Vishnu Sharma to teach lessons to the sons of the king he is living with.

I love the stories, narrations and morals embedded in the simple telling style.

Few of the stories at following links.

Vishnu Sharma - Panchatantra Tales
Vijay Peddada
Bought this for my kid but difficult to read and explain....
Parantap Bhatt
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The "inception" of storyline and morals. Probably the first example of an intricate plot within a plot concept. I feel sad for those who have read Panchatantra as individual stories rather than as it is.
Apart from the plotline, the stories are simple to comprehend but can be understood much more deeply. Most of all, its fun to read.
Kartikeya
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ancient wisdom by a genius teacher.

Very good to develop people skills even today and not as juvenile or childish as one might think. It can be a little sexist in few lessons but most of the teachings imparted are timeless. Wouldn't recommend it to children in its entirety but for adults it is unmatched.
Krishna Kumar
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful stories that gives insights when you read it again and again. Every story can be interpreted in different ways according to your exposure, thought processes and wisdom. Deep values but simple narration..
« previous 1 3 next »
Business of anti-corruption 1 1 Mar 01, 2018 07:43AM
interested in discussing panchatantra stories nitishastra 1 3 Jan 10, 2016 08:19PM
Precious Free Books: FREE BOOK 178 :: The Great Panchatantra Tales 1 6 May 20, 2015 05:47AM

• Four Major Plays of Chikamatsu
  • Diwan Al Hallaj
  • Tales from the Kathasaritsagara
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
  • The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus
  • Jin Ping Mei (the Golden Lotus)
  • Li Po and Tu Fu: Poems
  • The Three Kingdoms: The Sacred Oath (The Three Kingdoms, 1 of 3) (chapter 1-35)
  • The Baburnama: Memoirs of Babur, Prince and Emperor
  • The Meghadūta of Kālidāsa
  • Ghazals of Ghalib
  • مختارات من مقدمة ابن خلدون
  • The Humanistic Tradition: Prehistory to the Early Modern World (The Humanistic Tradition, #1)
  • The Secret History of the Mongols
  • Conversations of Goethe
  • A Sister to Scheherazade
  • The Life of an Amorous Woman and Other Writings
  • The Ring of the Nibelung
Arthur William Ryder was a professor of Sanskrit at the University of California, Berkeley. He translated a number of Sanskrit works into English, including the Panchatantra and the Bhagavad Gita. He was a member of the American Oriental Society and the American Philological Association. In the words of G. R. Noyes:

Taken as a whole, Ryder's work as a translator is probably the finest ever accompl
“Some things a man should tell his wife, Some things to friend and some to son; All these are trusted. He should not Tell everything to everyone.” 2 likes
“A friend in need is a friend indeed, Although of different caste; The whole world is your eager friend So long as riches last.” 1 likes