Start by marking “The Sisters Are Alright: Changing the Broken Narrative of Black Women in America” as Want to Read:

Read Book

What's wrong with black women? Not a damned thing!

The Sisters Are Alright exposes anti–black-woman propaganda and shows how real black women are pushing back against distorted cartoon versions of themselves.

When African women arrived on American shores, the three-headed hydra—servile Mammy, angry Sapphire, and lascivious Jezebel—followed close behind. In the '60s, the Matr
Published July 7th 2015 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

Julie Christine
As a white American woman seeking to become a better-informed, more effective ally to people of color, I believe it is my responsibility to seek out and listen to the stories of women and men whose daily lives are impacted by racism. Those of us who are angered and dismayed by systemic and institutional racism in this country have a tendency to rush toward a "fix" without taking the time to understand the many layers and complexities of history, how stereotypes and prejudices have evolved and th ...more
Lisa D.
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Sisters are Alright:.. should be a mandatory read not just for adults, but for teenage girls - particularly, African-Americans, as we are subjected to the mental and stereotypical abuses and misconceptions more than any ethnicity on this planet. Winfrey-Harris' research, interviews and personal thoughts are refreshing and to the point. She shows us the ugly sides we face as African-American women in the media and our own backyards, but also shows that we don't have to take any of it and rise ...more
Jennifer Stoy
This is the 101-201 level resource that white women/white feminists NEED to read before they open their mouths on social media to talk about black womanhood in America. (I say this as a white woman) If you are someone who is legitimately ready to understand what misogynoir is and how you are probably contributing to it, read this book. It is a fast, accessible read that covers major issues black women deal with today as well as the stereotypes that fuel a lot of pop culture representations of bl ...more
K.c.
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Zora Neale Hurston put it best “Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It’s beyond me.” Every black girl and woman should read this book.
Maya Smart
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
In her compendium of propaganda against black women, “The Sisters Are Alright,” Tamara Winfrey Harris exposes America’s historical and ongoing contempt for “the sisters.” She identifies stereotype after devastating stereotype, from whitewashed beauty standards to angry-black-woman clichés, and calls for recognition of the diversity and humanity of black women.

Although billed as a pep talk, Harris’s collection of panicked headlines, cruel criticism, and biased studies assailing black women makes
Zanna
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essays, feminism
Tamara Winfrey Harris writes for Bitch magazine, and this book is written in the same accessible style and with the same joyful right-onness as her articles. It summarises key points from other wonderful writing by Black women relevant to the subject (particularly Patricia Hill Collins’ book Black Feminist Thought, and deploys arguments that followers of certain blogs and denizens of certain regions of Twitter will find familiar, but certainly satisfyingly succinct, clear and convincing here.

One
YupIReadIt
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Relevant of course. I appreciate the new perspective this gave me on black motherhood and feminism.
Adira
THIS is a MUST read for any African/African-American woman who's ever been called angry, irate, ugly, hard to deal with or any of the other things we get called on a basis. It's the textual equivalent of being thrown into a sister circle and being reaffirmed that you're going to be alright. We maybe painted as "the problem" by others, but we as women of the diaspora know the truth of who we are and how we came to be. Thankfully, with tis book, Tamara Winfrey Harris thankfully puts together a wor ...more
Amma
A good balance of self-help/inspiration and academic study. Affirmations and advice for black women.
Brenda Shannon
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. I wanted more.

Thank you Ms. Harris for this book. At a time when all our assets are being appropriated, this affirmative message was definitely needed.
Kat Olmstead
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After winning this from GoodReads I found this book very eye opening and inspiring. Written with passion and flair. A must read!
Shernell
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, concise book on black women stereotypes and issues!
Kimberly
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wish this book had come out when I was 14 or 15. Though some of the topics would have been over my head, I would have learned a great deal. It would have been a book that I picked up again at 20 and again at 25. It is something I plan to gift to black girls growing up and to black women in general.

I really enjoyed they way this book gave me affirmations and made me feel included. As an awkward black girl and now care free black woman, there were many times growing up that I needed to know bein
Alana Benjamin
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is book is a must read for any black woman from the age of 16 upwards. It is a really simple read that highlights a lot of the issues facing black women.

It uses a lot of popular culture references to explain how black women are portrayed negatively as well as positively while reinforcing the resilience of Black Women.

One of the last pages of the book quotes a lady called Deesha, who's story is told in the book, that 'systemic racism and sexism need to be acknowledged and fought, but she a
Nakia
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: booktini-2017
Nothing new or groundbreaking, but still a very uplifting alternative to the often negative and complicated way the mainstream handles Black women. If you need a factual #blackgirlmagic pick me up, this may help.

It was also great to see a lot of women I've known online for years featured in the book.

A 3.5 star read for me.
LeeTravelGoddess
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the book you talk with your sisters about and pass on to your daughters. Finally!!! I enjoyed this book from beginning to end, I really fed and lifted my soul!! 💚
Eliza
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: milf-manuals
One day. I read this joint in one day.

It was completely engrossing and intriguing. A wonderful quick read that managed to explore intersectional feminism & womanism in a refreshing 21st century light. It tackled many complexities about the life of the black woman: sexuality, health, anger, beauty standards, etc. Using the lens of pop culture, the author also called out unacceptable views of the black woman.

If you have a real interest in intersectional feminism or if you just want to underst
Melania 🍒
3,8/5

Such an important book with such an important message. I can’t give it 4 stars since it is so short and I feel that this complex problems can be discussed in so much more depth. But, again, I feel like because it is so short more people should pick it up.
Bina
The Sisters Are Alright is first of all a love note Tamara Winfrey Harris has written to other black women. It’s a warm, welcoming book that celebrates their complexities and humanity. I hope Harris’ book will be a gift given to many young black girls. I read this book to understand the specific lived experience of black women in the United States, become a better ally and just rejoice in the celebration of women of color.

Some of you might know the author from her blog What Tami Said or from her
Crystal
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, race, gender
I think this is a fantastic book for anyone newly "woke" to the experiences black women face (or, truthfully, just want a better overview of what we face), because it does take century-long struggles, condenses them into an easy-to-follow narrative and gives a reader positive affirmations that despite all these things, black women are still capable of thriving—not because we're "strong," but because we deserve our own happiness. But, for me, it didn't offer new to the table. While it was genuine ...more
Evette
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The Sisters are Alright" is a welcomed addition to the Black Feminist canon. Tamara Winfrey-Harris combines personal narrative, extensive research, and interviews with an array of Black women to produce a comprehensive look at what it means to be a dimensional Black woman. While it is heavy subject matter, Winfrey-Harris navigates difficult terrain around marriage, health, sexuality, and even beauty, to paint portraits of complex Black women attempting to navigate a world that oppresses us with ...more
BookOfCinz
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think this book is more relevant now more than ever. I like that Harris is trying to change the narrative of the Black Woman living in America. She offers key example and insights that pushes you to think deeply about the issues facing a Black Woman. While I am not living in the US the book really resonated with me. Not only did Harris make a strong point with this book, she’s showing the world that the Sisters are indeed alright!
Janeen
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was alright.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if the chapters were essays by other authors. I knew from early on -- I didn't get the black girl magic I was hoping to pull from the pages. Easy read, not a lot of critical thought.
Britt
Nov 07, 2015 added it
Black sisters, mothers, aunties and friends, the perspective that you need to have to make sure that you don't ruin your own life one day at a time is right here.
Jordan Pelavin
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
The best book I've read so far this year.
Gabriella
Quick review for a quick, fairly enjoyable read—nothing to write home about, but I imagine it’d be an apt conversation starter for book clubs. I did enjoy how Tamara Winfrey Harris included so many different perspectives of BW: queer stay-at-home moms, burlesque dancers, and so on. This book could definitely serve as an introduction to specific black women who have founded much needed organizations (Black Girls Run, Outdoor Afro, black cultural groups in Princeton, etc.)

During my time with The
Kei ♥bibliophile♥
Solid 5 Star Read

A must read for everyone but especially young black women. I wish I had read this in my early 20's when I was just starting the corporate career climb and I felt the need to prove that I was smart, not loud, not that image touted out in every reality show (I've grown from that thinking).

The sisters are alright is a witty, honest, quick read of how black women are seen by the masses vs. how we are in real life. In the end, there is nothing wrong with us (you can get that ending
Amy
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
There were parts of her argument that I loved and parts that just seemed unsubstantiated. I needed more examples.

I did feel like I learned a lot about the stereotypes surrounding black motherhood and the “angry black woman.” When I shared the details of those chapters with a student doing an independent study with me she asked if this could be her next and final read for the year. So, I reserve the right to change my rating based on my conversations with her.
Minna
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: femme, education
“Immersing ourselves and future generations in the strength of our past creates a foundation for black girls and women to do more than just survive—we thrive.”

I cannot recommend this book enough! Not only is it masterfully written, incorporating one-on-one interviews, but the message is delivered with compassion & personality. I sought this book out as an educator of the disenfranchised & found something incredibly positive & human. A must-read, regardless of background, gender, or r
Kate
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm begrudgingly giving this a three. Harris begins to unpack some very problematic narratives about the black female experience, and because her evidence is primarily anecdotal, the book is an accessible entry point to this discussion. But the history teacher in me gives this a two because it's poorly researched. The chapter on sexuality is especially problematic. For such an important topic, I sure would have liked to read something more substantial.
Sistahood Book Club: September Book 1 8 Jun 13, 2016 03:43PM
Sistars Book Club: First book! 2 3 Mar 22, 2016 07:39AM
Ones 2 Watch Book...: First book! 1 1 Mar 16, 2016 02:17PM
2013 Clutch Readi...: The Sisters Are Alright! 12 37 Dec 05, 2015 09:44AM
  • Pushout: The Criminalization of Black Girls in Schools
  • Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases
  • Too Heavy a Load: Black Women in Defense of Themselves, 1894-1994
  • Sisters in the Struggle: African American Women in the Civil Rights-Black Power Movement
  • Spill: Scenes of Black Feminist Fugitivity
  • From #BlackLivesMatter To Black Liberation
  • Florynce "Flo" Kennedy: The Life of a Black Feminist Radical
  • Set the World on Fire: Black Nationalist Women and the Global Struggle for Freedom
  • Martin & Mahalia: His Words, Her Song
  • Girl Zines: Making Media, Doing Feminism
  • Vintage Black Glamour
  • Black Woman Redefined: Dispelling Myths and Discovering Fulfillment in the Age of Michelle Obama
  • Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • Diary of an Ugly Duckling
  • Our Black Year: One Family's Quest to Buy Black in America's Racially Divided Economy
  • Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America
  • A Volcano Beneath the Snow: John Brown's War Against Slavery
Tamara Winfrey Harris is a writer who specializes in the ever-evolving space where current events, politics, and pop culture intersect with race and gender. Her first book is The Sisters are Alright: Changing the Broken Narrative for Black Women in America (Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Summer 2015). “For black women,” Tamara explains, “the most radical thing we can do is to throw off the shackles f ...more
“The world will tell you who you are, until you tell the world who you are.” 7 likes
“No one can define black women but black women.” 6 likes