Start by marking “గీతాంజలి [Geetanjali]” as Want to Read:
గీతాంజలి [Geetanjali]

గీతాంజలి [Geetanjali]

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  7,549 Ratings  ·  472 Reviews
రవీందరుని గీతాంజలికి చలం వరాసిన తెలుగు అనువాదం.. ...more
Published (first published 1910)

To ask other readers questions about గీతాంజలి [Geetanjali], please sign up.
Saurabh Sharma Gitanjali or Song Offerings, this book offers all the possible human and spiritual values a person needs to be in harmony with him/herself with…moreGitanjali or Song Offerings, this book offers all the possible human and spiritual values a person needs to be in harmony with him/herself with society and with the world, the universe at large. It's so simple and amusingly obscure that we ignore the aspect of lives which is most important for its sustenance, love. These songs teach you about that and if I have the liberty, I must say that all emotions are distorted forms of love. And Guruji (as Rabindranath Tagore was or is fondly called) reflects on that aspect without mentioning it explicitly and how we can find joy in our lives. I hope this helps.(less)

Deepthi
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of poetry and beauty, Seekers of spiritual enlightment
Shelves: favorites
Warning : I am letting my heart pour out over this review. Might be long. Read it if you want to or if have some time to spare.

I always wanted to write a review on Geetanjali, as it has been very close to my heart and always will be, but something stopped me every time I made an attempt. Maybe it was the memory of all the overflowing emotions which I had experienced while reading these poems or it was my immense love and respect for its writer that made me feel unworthy to make any sort of comm
Florencia
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
It is the pang of separation

It is the pang of separation that spreads throughout the world and gives birth to shapes innumerable in the infinite sky.

It is this sorrow of separation that gazes in silence all night from star to star and becomes lyric among rustling leaves in rainy darkness of July.

It is this overspreading pain that deepens into loves and desires, into sufferings and joys in human homes; and this it is that ever melts and flows in songs through my poet's heart.

May 6, 17
* Also on my
Seemita
There lived a pair of eyes in whose serenity the dawn and dusk merged, in whose voice the wise found their nerves, in whose heart even hatred turned love and in whose thoughts, a nation found their own.

Arguably one of the finest poets of all times, Rabindranath Tagore was an authorial voice in the pre-independence era of India. Born in 1861 and having found his calling at the tender age of eight, Tagore chiselled his artistic bent to perfection by diligently harbouring an observant and free stre
peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرانقدر، با تمامِ احترامی که برایِ <تاگور> قائل هستم، باید بگویم که: آنگاه که انسانی با موجودی سخن میگوید که در تاریخ هیچ اثری از او نبوده است و هیچ انسانِ خردمند و آگاهی نیز به وجودِ او باور ندارد و وجودِ آن موجود به وسیلهٔ دانش اثبات نشده است، زمانی که شما نوشته هایِ او را میخوانید، احساس میکنید که نویسندهٔ آن دچارِ بیماریِ اسکیزوفرنی و روان گسیختگی بوده است ... تاگور در این کتاب با خدایش سخن گفته و او را سرور نام نهاده و تمامِ اشعارش در مورد خدا و ستایش از خدا میباشد و به گونه ا ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Gitanjali: song offerings, Rabindranath Tagore
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: یازدهم ماه ژانویه سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: گیتانجالی؛ نویسنده: رابیندرانات تاگور؛ مترجم: رویا خاکساری، لاهیجان، نشر الهام اندیشه، 1392، در 184 ص، موضوع: شعر بنگالی شاعران هند قرن 20 م
در زبان بنگالی گیتانجالی یعنی مجموعه و معنی عنوان اصلی یعنی مجموعه نذرهایی در قالب شعر
ا. شربیانی
Jareed
"I read Rabindranath every day, to read one line of his is to forget all the troubles of the world."
-Unnamed Bengali Doctor addressing W.B. Yeats, contained in the Introduction

Isn’t it just fitting that this masterpiece be introduced by a person no less than William Butler Yeats who is another Nobel Laureate? Tagore received the Nobel in 1913 and Yeats in 1923. It is ostensibly perceivable that Yeats managed to capture the focal points in his Introduction, so quoting parts of Yeats introduction
Shine Sebastian
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
So meaningful... so soothing... man, it's so refreshing!!
When I started this book, I swore I will never read more than 2-3 pages of it at a time. Because I want to slowly and wholely taste every word, rather than swallow the whole book at once. This is one precious book!!
from today's reading--
" The woodlands have hushed their songs, and
doors are all shut at every house. Thou art the
solitary wayfarer in this deserted street. Oh
my only friend, my best beloved, the gates
are open in my house - do n
Amy
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
I am already loving this book of poetry, though I fear I will need to read it several times before I can actually say I have consumed it. Let me give you an offering from this morning's reading...

"I came out alone on my way to my tryst. But who is this that follows me in the silent dark?
I move aside to avoid his presence but I escape him not.
He makes the dust rise from the earth with his swagger; he adds his loud voice to every word that I utter.
He is my own little self, my lord, he knows no sh
Khashayar Mohammadi
Best Spiritual poetry I have read in ages.
Pulkit Singhal
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
Hmm, I seem to be too lost to begin with this review. Maybe, it is going to take some time for me to come out of the world that I have lost myself into while reading Gitanjali. One of the most beautiful collection of poems that I have ever read. It feels as if Tagore is a writer, painter, musician and a charioteer of one's soul, all at the same time. With his words, he paints amazingly vivid landscapes incorporating into his verses all the elements of nature that apart from their own hues and ti ...more
~~Poulomi Sylphrena Tonk$~~
5 beautiful stars!

As per Wikipedia, Gitanjali (Song Offerings) is a collection of 103 English poems of Tagore's own English translations of his Bengali poems, containing 53 poems from the original Bengali Gitanjali, as well as 50 other poems which were from his drama Achalayatan and eight other books of poetry — mainly Gitimalya (17 poems), Naivedya (15 poems) and Kheya (11 poems).

This was my first glimpse into Tagore's works, streamlined with an essence of the spiritual and devotion to the A
James
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian-lit, poetry
"Thou hast made me endless, such is thy pleasure." Thus begins this small but rich collection of poems by the Nobel Prize-winning poet Rabindranath Tagore. He sings of the ages that are the gift of the gods. He explores the abundance of human experience from birth to death and beyond. Eros has its place as well in the poems that explore the humanity of young and old. All the while the beauty of nature does not escape his attention. The author's own translation into English from the original Beng ...more
Dona
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verses frm Gitanjali r pasted all ovr my room, in my diary, at d back of my notebooks....I even remember participating in a competition( which i was too afraid 2 b in) with a slip of paper in my pocket with verses frm gitanjali scribbled in it.When in doubt, I run 2 Tagore.Who needs bible ven v hav got buks lyk des?
Asha Seth
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Living soul!
Recommended to Asha by: Chris Adams(College Professor)
A collection of beautiful poems you might not want to miss reading!
Although now that I have finished reading it, I do not recollect each of the poems but there are a few that I shall always remember.

I loved these for instance,

Day after day, O lord of my life, shall I stand before thee face to
face. With folded hands, O lord of all worlds, shall I stand before thee
face to face.
Under thy great sky in solitude and silence, with humble heart
shall I stand before thee face to face.
In this laborious wo
Bo
Jan 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let My Country Awake

Where the mind is without fear and the head held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by Thee into ever-widening thought and action;
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let
Tanvika
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of simplicity, rhythm of life
Shelves: forgotten-wisdom
Gitanjali: Offerings to the divine

A Bengali doctor meets Mr Yeats. He tells him ' I read Tagore,every day to forget the troubles in the world'. Mr Yeats was still very curious. Meeting Indians,curators he is surprised by the honor bestowed to the poet. The flowing of the rich mixture of religion, mysticism and poetry smoothens,eases and delights all.

We have to tread our own journeys to the unknown. Lighting our own lamps, swimming in the ambiguous seas, gliding like the restless heavy skies , w
Susan Budd
Gitanjali is a star shining in the darkness.
Hirdesh
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Review later.
ilknur a.k.a. iko ◬

“Ey sen, hayatımın son tezahürü olan ölüm, benim ölümüm, gel ve fısılda!..
Birbiri üstüne ger gün seni bekledim; ben senin için hayatın neş'e ve ızdıraplarını taşıdım.
Bütün benliğim, malik olduğum her şey, bütün ümidim ve aşkım, her zaman mahremiyetin derinliği içinde sana doğru aktı gözlerinden doğru tek bir bakış geldin, benim hayatım tamamiyle senin olacak.
Çiçekler örüldü ve güvey için çelenk hazırlandı. Düğünden sonra, gelin, evini terk edecek ve efendisiyle gecenin ıssızlığında buluşacak.”
Shayantani Das
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
I have often seen my uncle with his tattered and time worn copy of Gitanjali. He had read it so many times that the missing words do not bother him anymore. At an impulse I also bought a very colorful English edition in my 6th standard and it has remained in my book shelves obscured by heftier novels gathering dust and looking tattered for entirely different reasons. College curriculum is arguably a bad way of rediscovering a book which holds so much sentimental value for my loved ones. A colleg ...more
Kitaplarvesozleri
Uzun zamandır okuduğum en ağır şiir kitaplarından biriydi. Hem anlam olarak ağır gelirken hem de çeviri bir kitap olmasından dolayı duygu eksikliği vardı. Zaten kitabın içini açıp baktığınızda diğer şiir kitapları gibi olmadığını görüyorsunuz. Kıtalardan çok paragraflar vardı.
Kitabı okumam için doğru zaman değilmiş. Belki de Bundan 4-5 yıl sonra okusam kendime daha çok şey bulabilirim. Ama şuan ki hislerim için 3 puan vermek istedim. 🙏🏻
Joey
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems, spirituality
This is about devotion to God. It could be a perfect inspirational book for religious people who believe in their callings. On the contrary, atheists like Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins might adduce that there was no divine intervention in writing these songs ; it was a matter of Tagore’s motivation brought about by his past experiences.

I only learned from high school social studies that Rabindranath Tagore won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1913. But I never attempted to read his works which
Jalendhari Tabeeb
ﺭﺏِّ ﺇﻧﻲ ﻟﻤﺂ ﺃﻧﺰﻟﺖ ﺇﻟﻲ ﻣﻦ ﺧﻴﺮ ﻓﻘﻴﺮ

"O My Lord! Truly am I in (desperate) need of any good that You bestow on me!" (Quraan: 28:24)

Beggarly Heart

When the heart is hard and parched up,
come upon me with a shower of mercy.

When grace is lost from life,
come with a burst of song.

When tumultuous work raises its din on all sides shutting me out from
beyond, come to me, my lord of silence, with thy peace and rest.

When my beggarly heart sits crouched, shut up in a corner,
break open the door, my king, and c
Masoud Irannejad
Oct 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, classics, c-india
خوشم نیومد از این کتاب ولی سه تا از شعراش رو پسندیدم (از صد و سه شعر)

کودک در جامه شاهزادگان
با گردنبندی از سنگ های گرانبها
بر گردنش
همه ی لذت بازی را از دست می دهد.
جامه ی فاخرش او را
گل کوچک را بچین
درنگ مکن
پیش از آنکه پژمرده
Muhamad Fahmi
Gitanjali; kumpulan puisi yang memuatkan sejumlah 103 buah puisi yang dilakarkan Rabindranath Tagore berdasarkan perjalanan kerohanian dan spiritualnya untuk mencari dan mendekati kekasih (Tuhan).

Walaupun ada beberapa puisi yang kadangkala menyuntik rasa ghairah untuk mendalami tetapi saya rasakan penterjemah kurang menyengat dalam menyampaikan puisi-puisi penyair dari Bengali ini. Mungkin saya perlu baca dari penterjemah yang berlainan versi untuk mencapai tingkat nikmat bacaan puisi yang berku
Emily
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful combination of Indian religion/philosophy and poetry. God has never been compared to the earth in a more enthralling way. This collection of poems made me feel the connection others might have to god,death,pain and being a human.
Marwa Eletriby
علي المسافر ان يقرع مختلف الأبواب قبل أن يصل إلى بابه
آه أيها الحب ، لم تركتني وحيدًا انتظر أمام الباب ؟
غير أن حزنًا كان يستبد بي احياناً فكنت استيقظ من حلمي مرتعدًا
طاغور القريب للقلب جدًا
Jaideep Khanduja
Book Review: Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore: A Journey To Infinity To Discover Yourself

You need to have a big appetite to digest each and every word of Gitanjali written by Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore (1861 - 1941). The work was originally written in Bengali published over different Bengali books on poetry from where 103 poems have been picked, compiled and consolidated in this book. The translation has been done from Bengali to English by Rabindr
Nazmi Yaakub
Gitanjali ini menutup tingkap 2015 dan menguak tirai 2016, sekaligus membuka pandangan baharu terhadap makna kerohanian tanpa melepaskan keyakinan terhadap kebenaran hakiki yang bukan relatif. Kumpulan puisi Tagore ini mengungkapkan perjalanan spiritual dalam menjejaki kekasih melalui bahasa bukan saja sangat indah, bahkan memiliki perlambangan hasil daripada renungan yang penuh dalam. Sudah tentulah kekaguman peribadi terhadap Gitanjali ini tidaklah sampai menafikan kebenaran mutlak seperti pan ...more
Julie
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Read Tagore everyday, in the mornings and evenings. A few lines at a time, enough to nourish my soul and bring me to the peak of beauty.
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 3 May 02, 2017 10:24PM
  • The Rig Veda
  • Devdas
  • The Clouds Should Know Me By Now: Buddhist Poet Monks of China
  • The Collected Poems, 1956-1998
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and ess
“Where the mind is without fear
and the head is held high,
where knowledge is free.
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls.
Where words come out from the depth of truth,
where tireless striving stretches its arms toward perfection.
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost it's way
into the dreary desert sand of dead habit.
Where the mind is led forward by thee
into ever widening thought and action.
In to that heaven of freedom, my father,
LET MY COUNTRY AWAKE!”
353 likes
“On the seashore of endless worlds children meet.

The infinite sky is motionless overhead and the restless water is boisterous. On the seashore of endless worlds the children meet with shouts and dances.

They build their houses with sand, and they play with empty shells. With withered leaves they weave their boats and smilingly float them on the vast deep. Children have their play on the seashore of worlds.

They know not how to swim, they know not how to cast nets. Pearl-fishers dive for pearls, merchants sail in their ships, while children gather pebbles and scatter them again. They seek not for hidden treasures, they know not how to cast nets.

The sea surges up with laughter, and pale gleams the smile of the sea-beach. Death-dealing waves sing meaningless ballads to the children, even like a mother while rocking her baby’s cradle. The sea plays with children, and pale gleams the smile of the sea-beach.

On the seashore of endless worlds children meet. Tempest roams in the pathless sky, ships are wrecked in the trackless water, death is abroad and children play. On the seashore of endless worlds is the great meeting of children.”
80 likes