Start by marking “Letters from a Scatter-Brained Sister” as Want to Read:
Letters from a Scatter-Brained Sister

Letters from a Scatter-Brained Sister

Published 2015

To ask other readers questions about Letters from a Scatter-Brained Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from a Scatter-Brained Sister

Kellyn Roth

This was a pretty good short story. I enjoyed it and finished it in an afternoon. However, I didn't much care for Erin. She seemed ... domineering, I suppose. Perhaps I read her wrong, or perhaps I'm just too independent, but it felt to me like she was over-mothering Nicole ... and I don't think Nicole really needed mothering to begin with. I also found myself annoyed at Nicole for buckling in to Erin as if she's some all-knowing goddess of wisdom with unrealistic expectations of a sixt
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: 11 - 18

Told in the form of letters, this was such a cute short story. I mean, who doesn’t love cooking mishaps and a bit of family drama? Nicole is an overwhelmed sixteen-year-old whose mission is to keep from making a disaster of her new responsibility in the kitchen.

While we only see Nicole’s letters (I so wanted to see the others), it is clear that she and her older sister have a loving relationship. The way her older sister points her back to God t
R.
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I think Ms. Tero is now my favorite author or at least among the top 5. This book is a quick read (less than an hour) but at the same time it’s worth being drawn out a couple months. Ms. Tero has captured the “kitchen woes” of a 16 yr. old in a delightful yet insightful way, balancing funny everyday events with timeless biblical truths which I look forward to incorporating into my life. I’m not an “Erin” who is a whiz with the kitchen, and I find myself getting caught up with life that I don’t l ...more
Sarah Grace Grzy
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was so fun! The scenarios were so realistic, and I found myself chuckling numerous times. I can definitely relate to some of Nicole's problems. ;) The Biblical encouragements Amanda weaves in so gently and subtly, were spot-on and encouraging. Definitely worth the read. I cannot wait to check out more of Amanda's works!
Victoria Minks
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very sweet, short little novella... I enjoyed it and it made me smile. I liked the way the letters point back to God, and I thought the one-sided letter format was fun--kind of like Daddy Long-Legs or Dear Enemy. The one thing that made me feel a bit sorry for Nicole was how often her sister seemed to be correcting her. I definitely love Godly encouragement from siblings and/or friends--but for some reason after a chapter or so it started to feel like all her sister was doing was tryin ...more
Faith
One Sunday evening I needed something quick and light to read and I picked up this. Heart-warming and humorous, this was a sweet collection of letters that I found fun and enjoyable. :) I enjoyed the tie-ins with foods mentioned in the Bible – so cool!

All that made it not a top-favorite for me would be that I would've liked to see the other letters (from the older sister to Nicole) and more of the other family members.
Olivia
I shall never, ever be able to forgive you for deserting us (or should I blame your husband for that?)! How could you, in good conscience, leave the kitchen in the hands of me, a giddy sixteen-year-old?? I think my poor family misses you more than I do.

This was a splendid, down-to-earth story that made me smile and laugh. Through letters written to her newly-married sister, you read of Nicole's cooking mistakes (and triumphs) such as: adding water into muffins when not having enough oil, using b
Alicia Ruggieri
Oh, I enjoyed this so much! This novelette is divided into spring, summer, fall, and winter letters written by a "giddy sixteen-year-old" to her older, newly-married sister. Mistake-prone Nicole, the letter-writer, has taken full charge of the family cooking duties since her sister's marriage, much to her chagrin and to my amusement as a reader. As Nicole learns how to balance new responsibilities with old ones, she grows in her walk with Christ in a very down-to-earth way.

A great book for youn
Bethany
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a clever story! Written in the form of letters from a 16 year-old girl to her older, married sister, describing all her cooking woes and the troubles she has in the kitchen. It is humorous in parts, but with a Biblical message running through as well. I will definitely read this book again.
Amanda Tero
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-writing

Written in first-person and a light-hearted style, "Letters" is about a fun, nonsensical teen whose laughable baking trials are based on real-life happenings.

Available: http://amandatero.weebly.com
R.A.
[2nd read]

Oh my! Nicole and her troubles with cooking is so funny!! I loved reading her letters to her sister, but sometimes I kind of wanted to read what her sister had to say! ;) I know that baking powder and baking soda mix-up problem, although now I really try my hardest not to get this mixed-up!!!

I loved the story - well, letters - and I always enjoy the author's books!!! :)
Angie Thompson
Cute little collection of kitchen mishaps and random ramblings about life. :) I could relate to Nicole in some ways, not being that great at cooking myself, although I couldn't quite understand why her mom wasn't helping or teaching her more, instead of just letting her go it alone. At first, it seemed like Erin tended to read too much into some of Nicole's offhand comments, but since Nicole kept admitting that her conclusions were right, her sister obviously knew her better than I did. ;)

The th
Lydia Howe
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a nice quick read that I picked up after not being able to fall asleep - I wanted something short and nice and that's what I got.

I can totally relate to the sadness of having a sister married and moved away, and there were a lot of times that the letter writing kinda reminded me of my little sister.

One review that I read today (and therefore prompted me to read the book now) mentioned that she felt bad that the MC had to do all the cooking. Doing all the cooking doesn't sound like a b
Erika Mathews
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Upbeat, funny, and positive, the tone of Nicole's letters to her sister reveals a down-to-earth girl who isn't afraid to laugh at herself or her many cooking blunders. The tone of this book truly set it apart and caused it to come across as uplifting and refreshing. What is more, her struggles with cooking, letters, and Bible time are things real girls face - and her growth is portrayed accurately and in a way that uplifts the reader. I recommend this book, especially for Christian teenage girls ...more
Mikayla
This was a cute light read, I read it in about twenty minutes. I enjoyed the style of writing, though I found myself wishing that the letters from Erin to her were included in here.
I did find myself wondering why Nicole has sole charge of the kitchen. I mean, she is really inexperienced, so it seemed to me someone should have helped her. Instead her family just left her for the most part to fend for herself.
Overall, it was a cute light read, with a nice message.
Jesseca Wheaton
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this short, sweet story! As the oldest girl in our family, I have to say that Nicole reminded me sooo much of my younger sister! She doesn't enjoy cooking, and I've always done all the cooking, baking etc. So that had me chuckling. ;) I also enjoyed all the scriptures and principles that were woven in throughout the story. Definitely a book I would recommend. :)
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
{{This is a Goodreads Only Review! Meaning, this review will not be posted on 'Books for Christian Girls'. }}

About this book:

““How could you, in good conscience, leave the kitchen in the hands of me, a giddy sixteen-year-old??”
So begins Nicole’s letters to her sister who has recently “deserted” the family because of marriage. As Nicole attempts to take over the kitchen, she begins to wonder if the kitchen will take over her?”

Series: As of now, no.

Spiritual Content- Colossians 3:23-24 at the b
Elisha Andres
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschoolers
a very neat book! i could not relate to the main character, and wished i could have read the letters back from the older sister. :) but i could relate to the older sister, but not anymore because my 16 yr old sister is becoming a great cook lol, but yeah a nice book! like all her books :):)
Rebekah Morris
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I got many chuckles from this story. From someone who stays out of a kitchen as much as possible, I could fully sympathize with Nicole. Enjoyable.
Raechel
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
3.5
Pretty enjoyable read - I like the writing style in the form of the letters. :)
Gabriella
Lesa McKee
May 30, 2016
Gabriellyn
Jun 01, 2016
Amanda Tero is a homeschool graduate who desires to provide God-honoring, family-friendly reading material. She has enjoyed writing since before ten years old, but it has only been since 2013 that she began seriously pursuing writing again – starting with some short stories that she wrote for her sisters as a gift. Her mom encouraged her to try selling the stories she published, and since then, sh ...more