Start by marking “Metaprogramming Elixir: Write Less Code, Get More Done (and Have Fun!)” as Want to Read:
Metaprogramming Elixir: Write Less Code, Get More Done (and Have Fun!)

Metaprogramming Elixir: Write Less Code, Get More Done (and Have Fun!)

Write code that writes code with Elixir macros. Macros make metaprogramming possible and define the language itself. In this book, you'll learn how to use macros to extend the language with fast, maintainable code and share functionality in ways you never thought possible. You'll discover how to extend Elixir with your own first-class features, optimize performance, and cr

Published January 29th 2015 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published January 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Metaprogramming Elixir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metaprogramming Elixir

Héctor Iván Patricio Moreno
This book is an awesome read if you're new to Elixir or haven't experimented with the metaprogramming parts of Elixir.

It's often times said that books are the cheapest objects you could acquire because of all the knowledge you could get from them, and with this book that saying holds true.

This is a short but very very instructive book filled with deep practical knowledge Elixir and its code generation capabilities and an expert guide from the basics to the very advanced, step by step.

If you want
Sebastian Gebski
VERY much needed book - the best resource on Elixir metaprogramming I've found so far.

Until 50% it's well understandable even for someone who doesn't consider himself Master Alchemist yet ;), but since 50% you seriously should be beyond some step to grasp it. I was _struggling_ a lot & for sure I can't say I've won, but even if macroing Elixir isn't all that natural for me & I didn't switch to functional metaprogramming with DSLs only yet, it was a very useful journey. Or rather - a frui
Edison Yap
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a lot of good insights, the examples he picked were excellent and I really liked them, however one nitpick would be the way he presents that information to you.

Chris basically gives you a big block of code and have you run that code, then only explains it to you after the fact. While there's nothing really wrong with that approach, I would've liked it more if he had presented the problems of what we're trying to solve. For example, explaining the problem and why we need to use `bind_q
Mark Schisler
I wasn't too much a fan of the writing style -it lends itself towards fanboy-isms and hyperbole on occasion- but technically speaking, I couldn't have asked for a better walk through of how macros work in Elixir. Some of the examples are advanced -as in, probably something you would never write unless you were developing a web framework like Chris did, but other than that I found it an interesting subject for 100 or so pages.
Suvash Thapaliya
I read this right after finishing the book on Clojure Macros (Pragmatic Programmers). It's interesting how Elixir's macro system almost talks and walks like a Lisp macro, but not quite. This book is a ton of fun, and has practical examples.
Eric
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

This book was mind expanding
Kenny Parnell
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. The perfect follow up for Programming Elixir. It really helped me to dig into the language and deepen my understanding.
Ivan