Start by marking “Goth Girl and the Pirate Queen (Goth Girl, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Goth Girl and the Pirate Queen (Goth Girl, #2.5)

Goth Girl and the Pirate Queen

(Goth Girl #2.5)

When Ada travels to the seaside resort of Brighton on holiday, she is very excited to meet leading followers of fashion Lady Vivienne Dashwood and her rival, the fashionable shepherd, Beau Peeps. They are there preparing for World Frock Night - a lavish ball where everyone dresses up in their finest costumes to compete for the grand prize.

Ada has been given money by her
Published February 12th 2015 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Goth Girl and the Pirate Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goth Girl and the Pirate Queen

Start your review of Goth Girl and the Pirate Queen (Goth Girl, #2.5)
Kimberley doruyter
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
so sad it's a short one, but it was great.
will re-read in future!

and now i have re-read it.
Joey Woolfardis
My first book read in over a month thanks to the Olympics. Read whilst waiting in the dentist (and I'm not even getting a check up). Very lovely, as per, with the best illustrations I've ever known to be honest. Full review to follow.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Nerdish Mum
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I'm ashamed to admit that I have never read any Chris Riddell before, so this was my first encounter with him. The story was wonderfully silly and the drawings matched perfectly. I also enjoyed the references to popular culture that possibly only an adult reading it would recognise. The only thing I wasn't keen on was the constant "advertisements" for other books in the series in the foot notes. Overall though a quick and fun read.
Lin Let
Booktubeathon Book 2- book by one of your favourite authors!

This is definitely the best World Book Day Book I have ever read. I loved the short story, the illustrations (as usual) and the fashionably funny frocks Riddell created.
Sanja_Sanjalica
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet, there isn't much of a story as in the previous ones, just vivid characters and references up to wazoo, but enjoyable and fun. Looking forward to other books in the series. I would like to know more about the Pirate Queen, I expected more of her regarding she is in the title. Still, it was fun.
Mehsi
This was a delightful little read!

Ada is back, and this time she is in for a fashionable time! I really like Ada, and I was delighted to see her again. And this time she is out of her mansion and into a new part of the world. Once again, Ada shows her wits a few times, especially during the later parts of the story. Loved how she found new friends and helped them out with their careers.

The book is (once again) full with puns. Various fashion designers pop up in this book, but their names are
Eli
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think that this will have to be one of the rare occassions in which I rate a book 5/5. My main reason for this is because, despite the scene of the book changing location, the humour and play on words is still present.

Riddell continued to amaze me and it had a very enjoyable plotline, with, at the end, Ada continueing to show how selfless, but headstrong she is. It was a shorter ook, so obviously it was never going to be as detailed, but the author still managed to convey an interesting, but
Bar
Chris Riddell is one of my favorite illustrators, and his children books are always so lovely and entertaining! In the Goth Girl series he often relies on puns and word games and it's so fun to read! In this little booklet, you can definitely see these games with a lot of characters' names, and I thought it was hilarious! Will definitely continue reading more by him in the future.

Tom
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, own-read
A cute, fast short story!
Holly
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Still really enjoying this series just wish this one could have been a full length book because I liked the concept
Robin
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: disney-children
Such a cute little book! It is filled with Chris Riddell's drawings, has a sweet and simple story, and Chris is quite clever about naming his "famous" local characters such as the competitive fashion designers Mrs. Vivienne Dashwood and Mr. Jean-Paul Goatee. Ha!

The story centers on Ada Goth who visits the seaside town of Brighton for World Frock Day. As she goes about finding a suitable frock, she encounters locals and has quite the day of adventure. This is an enjoyable and quick read, and I
Antonia
It seems a bit cheeky to count this as a whole book as it only is a short story and with many illustrations to boot...

I loved it. I loved the quirky illustrations, the nice little story and all those references - a veritable fireworks of modern pop culture and historical references. The setting is somewhat 18th century-ish (the long one) which is already something I like and then the pot-shots at modern designers, references to other literary works... Very very entertaining. I haven't read the
Roger
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-ya, fiction
This is a novella initially given away for free for World Book Day in 2015. This time around Ada submerges herself in the world of fashion, encountering thinly disguised versions of contemporary fashion designers (Vivienne Westwood, Coco Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld etc.), in Regency Brighton. There's very little story in this one. Riddell seems to have used it as an opportunity to promote the previous two GG books via regular side-panel references. Luckily the illustrations make up for any ...more
Keiran Thegreat
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Chris Riddell tells a great story, even this really short book is packed full of good things. Beautiful illustrations, jokes of all kinds (puns, funny incidents, parody...), likeable characters and a fun storyline. The setting of Regency Brighton is very well realised and (parody aside) pretty accurate.
A small but fine addition to the adventures of Ada Goth.
Karina
This book made me hoot with laughter so much I reckon all the rest of the staff (and some customers) in the shop must have thought me insane. Whip smart and hilariously funny in a silly, punny sort of way - as someone who is an addict of regency and gothic fiction, I enjoyed a lot of the jokes tremendously. I wonder how many 10 year olds get them, though? Some, I'll bet!
Kristina
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT! The artwork is just bomb! The moment I saw the gorgeous cover, I fell in love! The drawings inside are just as amazing. The story is also really nice. Ada - the main character - is so fantastically created that there is not a single thing I don't like about her.
I will most definitely buy the rest of the series :)
Tia Garrigues
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Resourceful as Ever!

Ada uses her mind and her charms to help herself and her new friends when she runs into trouble while away with her father's friend. Fashion and candy may never be the same!
Amy
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goth Girl by the Sea

Such a cute, simple story...easy for school aged children to pic up and read. The stories are wonderful, the characters are great! Any child who loves to read would enjoy this series!
Aurumora
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is a short story about Fashion. I like the book and will read more about Ada Goth. It es very odd. There are names like "COCA CHANNEL" (the designer). The drawings are very beautiful. They have so many details. Chris Riddell can draw and write and that is fantastic together.
Sarah Ann
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun little read that has definitely bumped the Goth Girl series up my 'need to buy' list!

Even if this book only contained Chris Riddell's amazing illustrations and the brilliant footnotes that prove you can relate pretty much everything to Shakespeare, I would still have given it four stars.
Gabriella
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 2017
Short but sweet with all the essence of a full book. Wonderful dresses as long as you never have to wear them.
Skye
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this Book
Danielle
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This one is hard to rate for me because it is so short, but i decided to give it 4 stars because I love this series and the illustrations are beautiful.
Stephen D'Cruz
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the simple story of a start up fashionista and a confectioner.
Rayna
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this short story in my downtime at work. It was cute and quirky and as always, I love Riddell's illustrations.
C Wharton
I thought this book was absolutely brilliant! I love the illustrations so much, and the storyline is really good as well.

I've actually been to see Chris Riddell in a book reading. He is really lovely and took the time to talk to me, as well as signing my books. My favourite character is Ada Goth, because she is kind to animals, well mannered and patient. I love the way Chris Riddell writes, I find it very pleasing and relaxing.

I am very excited to read all the other books in this series.
Lily-Rose Beardshaw
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Read this out of order as it's a present for a friend that I couldn't resist having a peek at, and I knew it wouldn't take long to finish. I've always wanted to read the Goth Girl series, since I love Chris Riddell's work. This is a standalone Goth Girl adventure, and it's, well...
Illustrated throughout, the art is lovely and full of character, humour and storytelling in it's own right. The most attractive thing about the books is the character of Goth Girl herself: a handsome, strong-eybrowed
Charlotte Jones
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'll be honest, I picked this up on World Book Day purely because I love Chris Riddell's illustration style and wanted to own something with his illustrations. I also like to support World Book Day and had heard great things about the Goth Girl books so picked this one up.

This was a sweet story that was enjoyable but I think would be much better suited to the target age range rather than an older reader. The illustrations, unsurprisingly, are amazingly detailed and really bring the story to
Spidermonkeyloo
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I like Chris Riddell. I really do. But I like him for his illustrations, not for how many puns he can throw into a story created around characters whose names have been slightly altered from those of well-known famous people (think Barry Trotter).

There are certain children who I would recommend this to, but I doubt many of the target audience would even notice the puns... Maybe that's a good thing?
Sarah Churchill
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
As always, packed full of references and jabs at popular culture and celebrities, Ada is as sweet as always and her little adventure tot he seaside is hilarious. And like I ALWAYS say with this series, young readers will enjoy the silliness and the beautiful illustrations, though older readers will understand far more.

It is a short story/novella so over far too quickly, but I'm very excited for the next instalment coming soon!

• The World’s Worst Children
  • The Water Babies
  • The Hunting of the Snark
  • Amelia Fang and the Unicorn Lords
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • The Explorer
  • Starring Tracy Beaker (Tracy Beaker, #3)
  • The World’s Worst Children 2
  • Books of Magic Vol. 1: Moveable Type (the Sandman Universe)
  • This Cheese Is Nuts!: Delicious Vegan Cheese at Home
  • Wangari's Trees of Peace: A True Story from Africa
  • Letters from the Lighthouse
  • Black Book of Poems
  • Beautiful Mistakes
  • Lucifer Vol. 1: The Infernal Comedy (the Sandman Universe)
  • Blood On My Typewriter
  • Her Favorite Color Was Yellow
Chris Riddell was born in Cape Town, South Africa, where his father was an Anglican priest and a member of the ANC. The family moved to England in 1963, when Riddell was one year old, and he spent his childhood in a number of different locations, as his father moved between parishes. Both of Riddell's parents continued to be active in the anti-apartheid movement.

Chris Riddell is an internationally

Goth Girl (4 books)
  • Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse (Goth Girl, #1)
  • Goth Girl and the Fete Worse than Death (Goth Girl, #2)
  • Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fright (Goth Girl, #3)
  • Goth Girl and the Sinister Symphony (Goth Girl, #4)