Start by marking “The Amazing Journey: True Story of a Father and Son's Odyssey Around the World” as Want to Read:
The Amazing Journey: True Story of a Father and Son's Odyssey Around the World

The Amazing Journey: True Story of a Father and Son's Odyssey Around the World

The Amazing Journey is the true story of Grady and Austin Hicks, a father and son who travel the world for twenty-eight days before Austin attends college.

In the spirit of adventure, Grady and Austin’s route and activities are kept secret—even from family—until after the journey. They complete daily, self-imposed Journey Tasks meant to deliberately immerse each into cultu
ebook
Published May 15th 2015 by Wisdom House Books (first published February 16th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Amazing Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amazing Journey

Start your review of The Amazing Journey: True Story of a Father and Son's Odyssey Around the World
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I don't know. I guess I just didn't like the author's writing. What should have been interesting just wasn't to me. I read through to about 1/2 without skimming. Then I skimmed, looking for interesting tidbits but nothing really grabbed me.

Some of the writing seemed forced - as if the author was trying to find deep significance when he didn't really feel it. His humor of comparison between his middle aged self and his son also seemed inauthentic.

A lot of the journey seeme
Jeannette Nikolova
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read on the WondrousBooks blog.

THIS BOOK IS A STRONG RECOMMENDATION.

It truly is an amazing journey.

I received The Amazing Journey through NetGalley for an honest review and once again, visiting the GoodReads page, I'm shocked that I'm one of the few who have expressed interest. I should state that I'm not even a big fan of memoirs, neither do I often read non-fiction books.

But I do love travel, listening about travel, watching pictures and so on. I honestly don't think that there is something as amazing to do as to see the world. In/>

But

/>

Elizabeth  (Thoughts From an Evil Overlord)
Full review on my blog: http://eviloverlordthoughts.com/the-a...

I thoroughly enjoyed following Grady and Austin around the globe through The Amazing Journey. They went to some of the big spots such as the Eiffel Tower and Angkor Wat, but also investigated local traditions and lore, getting a more authentic feel of the places they visited and the people they met along the way. In China, after meeting a shopkeeper, they were invited to his home to learn to make authentic Chinese dumplings, which was fun for both families.
Beth
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Father and son go on a world tour before the son goes off to college. Great adventure for both, but would have been interesting to see more of the son's - Austin - view of people and events.
Josh reading
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible journey across the world by a Father and Son, the wisdom they gain on the adventure, heartfelt and true.
A van Eeden
The bond between father and son is complex and unique. It is dynamic and needs to change over time if it is to thrive.

This to me is the crux of Grady Hick’s book, “The Amazing Journey”.

Hicks and his son Austin share a really close bond. He is a devoted and tremendously proud father. Austin had just finished high school and was preparing to enter the adult world. He had lived a sheltered life, growing up in middle-class America.

Hicks wanted to open his son’s ey
Carly Szabo
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Amazing Journey by Grady Hicks is an autobiographical tale like none other. Filled with rich history, touching father-son moments and political tension, this book quite literally travels the world around us leaving its readers pontificating over the very real question: despite all our perceived cultural differences, are we really all that separate from one another?

Taking place in the transitional period between high school and college for his son Austin, author Hicks plans an around the wor
Nikki Bennett
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked most about this book was just the idea of a father and son setting out on an adventure together. Grady and his son decide to take on their adventure "Amazing Race" style, and set up different tasks to do in each country they visit. Some tasks they complete, some they don't, but in the end, the unplanned things become far more of an adventure to both the people in the story, and to the reader too.

There's no great lesson learned in this story, except for a good appreciatio
Devon
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
I received this book free through FirstReads.

So this book is not something I would normally read, but it interested me and I actually loved it. I couldn’t put it down. Normally I don’t touch true life stories unless they’re crime related. But even if, like myself, you are mostly a fantasy reader. PICK THIS UP. You will not regret it.

I instantly became enamored with this book the minute I opened the parcel. The cover is gorgeous. I also received a matching small bookmark with the owl
Paul Franco
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
The Amazing Journey
Like a lot of kids, Austin goes on a long vacation before starting college; unlike them, he goes with his father. A trip through Hawaii, Korea, China, Tibet, Nepal, India, London, and Paris makes up this book.
As always, it’s the small touches that sell a travel memoir. I had a good laugh at the obsequiousness of the Chinese tour guide, and mentioning, “This is Mr. Wong. He will be our driver. He is one of the very best.” Yeah, they do that a lot in China, and thoug
Leah Moyse
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books about travel. The ability to experience places you never thought possible, without even leaving home. This however is so much more than a travel book. It is the true story of a Father and a Son and the once in a lifetime trip they took together around the World. In some senses it is also a coming of age story.

Of the places Grady and Austin visited, I have only been to Paris and obviously London. It was magical to get a very real glimpse of places such as China, India, Ne
Victoria Roberts
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I do not read many memoirs just to be upfront. This particular book was a memoir wrapped up inside of a travel guide wrapped up like a season of The Amazing Race. I can relate to both father and son in this journey of exploring the world. I leave this book with a new respect for some very old cultures. One day I hope that I can do half of what I read about in this epic adventure! It did feel as though it dragged slightly for me but I appreciated what the author was trying to convey about the sig ...more
Lisa
Katrina K
Goodreads win. Will read and review once received.

This was a good read. I really loved all the history throughout this book. I will admit the writing style of the author kind of threw me off, but I ended up getting used to it. This is one of those books that really pulls you in and doesn't want to let you go.
A Serious Lover
A very genuine recounting of a genuinely amazing journey. I enjoyed the book.
Claudia Tessier
I was very disappointed in this book. While the idea (take your son around the world before he goes to college and write about it) is good, the results didn't live up to expectations. I found myself skimming rather than wanting to know more; the writing style was not inviting. Further, the e-book needs a lot of work.
Kathryn
I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher, Wisdom House, in exchange for an honest review. This was a hard one to review in a way, because I honestly, for the most part, did not care for it. I wanted to; the premise of the book was a good one, taking his just-graduated son on a trip around the world for a month before he enters college and also a father-son adventure based on the idea behind the realty show, "The Amazing Race". I truly loved the idea and was looking forward to readin ...more
Leslie
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was sent to me as part of a Goodreads giveaway and in no way affects my review.

It was an okay rendering of a concept that was unique. the idea of taking a journey like this with your children is a good one as it can strengthen the bond in a family. It inspires me to try it with my parents. For that reason alone it's an interesting read in that it can show what to do and what not to do.
Debbie Floyd
Claudio
May 07, 2015
Scott Roberts
Rkb 2015
rated it did not like it
Jul 13, 2015
Mar 06, 2019
Sneha Pyne
Aug 08, 2015
Grady Hicks
Mar 23, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I am a native Texan. My family has lived and worked in North Texas since the 1850s. I am an avid traveler but I have made Arlington, TX my home base with my wife of 27 years, Belinda, where I return to relax in the backyard with family to plan the next destination. Each of our three children are successfully pursuing college degrees, majoring in mechanical engineering, business communication, and ...more