Start by marking “Embrace: My Story from Body Loather to Body Lover” as Want to Read:
Embrace: My Story from Body Loather to Body Lover

Embrace: My Story from Body Loather to Body Lover

A warm, frank and funny account of Taryn Brumfitt's journey from hating her body to being a free-thinking exponent on the value and power of a positive body image.

Raises important questions about the pressures society puts on women to conform to a certain body shape, and asks what we can do to prevent this having a negative effect on the next generation.
Paperback, First Edition, 188 pages
Published 2015 by New Holland Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Embrace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embrace

Warren Gossett
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a one day read. Couldn't put it down. It deals with a topic we have all thought about or obsessed about: body image. Taryn Brumfitt, Adelaide mother of three in her 30's, has developed a simple positive message about women's (and men's) body image. It is worth it and really necessary to care more for our health and our inner beauty than the socially prescribed versions of exterior looks. The message is spreading around Australia and around the world.
Emma
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring reminder to love what we have, told with compassion and wit. I've been following BIM for sometime and it was great to be able to delve into the inception of a movement aiming to change worldwide perceptions. Go Taryn, and keep up the sparkle!
Jen
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have Embraced!
If you haven't read this book, or heard of the documentary (WATCH IT!) or the Body Image Movement, I can't recommend it enough. We are inundated, day in and day out, with images in the media telling us we need to be thinner/skinny/fitter/wrinkle-free/fashionably dressed to be "successful" or "attractive". Get that thigh gap if you want to attract a mate! Fight wrinkles and lines! (Is this a war? What's all the fighting about?) Women and girls have eating disorders, they have sel
Bex
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I met Taryn when she bought the documentary to the UK
- and enjoyed the buzz and the storyline there. There’s more in this book than I expected from the previous media coverage/film, and it was a swift read - and a very open one - watching Taryn give up other aspects of her life to get the message out that health is as much mental as physical and that there are things we can do to nourish ourselves rather than the stick that is diets.
Deb
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good memoir! This is something all people should read- we are being controlled as to how we feel about ourselves by the beauty and diet industry and it needs to stop! It covers lots of topics: body image,'diets, aging, motherhood and more. A must read... we are more than how we look
Jordyn
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful and honest book! Loved it.
Becci Jordan
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring story!
Thanks Taryn for sharing your story to encourage women all over the world to love their body!!
Peggy
May 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Perfect book for mums... Since I will never have children, I often found it hard/impossible to relate.
Nicole Higgins
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy, quick and impacting book. Raw and real -worth a read.
Siobhan
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: body-image
I like the way she has chosen to think about having a better perspective on body image. Like the reality of death. It's one I have often used in my own life to have a better perspective. And I had to laugh when she was talking about her dry heaving the moment she bit into the raw oysters as everyone looked on at her during one of her nights eating out alone on her work travels! There were other funny points like when she said that her husband sometimes calls her the "verbal machine gun" I think ...more
Kate
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I supported the Kickstarter campaign for the documentary and I have completed the Unstoppable programme. I feel like I was reading a book by a good friend, even though I've never gotten to meet her. It reads in a very free form, stream of conscious way and when I was reading, I'd become immersed and feel like I was listening to her talk. My only criticism is that the editor/proofreader did not catch some pretty obvious errors in spelling, grammar and punctuation. Looking past that, Taryn's bubbl ...more
Tiffany
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I was really excited to get my hands on this book. The content and message are really great, but I couldn't get past the writing style. It didn't flow for me... to many tangents and editing flaws and probably more details about her personal life than I wanted to know. I was expecting a self help style of book but it was mostly her autobiography. However, I am hoping to view her documentary at some point, as the whole notion of Embrace and the Body Image Movement are very important and Taryn Brum ...more
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it
You know, I was really excited for this book. The content and message certainly lived up to expectations, but I couldn't get past the writing style. I often felt as though I were reading a blog with tangents, editing flaws, and an overuse of exclamation points. I just wanted her to get to the point sometimes! That being said, I definitely look forward to her documentary, as the whole notion of embrace and the Body Image Movement are very important. Would give it 2.5 stars if possible.
Cynthia Van der Wielen
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I felt very inspired after reading this book. Everything Taryn wrote just made SENSE! Having suffered from an eating disorder in the past, and recovered from it, the burden of carrying negative body image around is so huge, but you don't notice until after it is gone.

I recommend every woman reads this book, and men, if they also struggle with negative body image!
Jayne Lamb
Sep 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: body-image, feminism, dnf
I support Taryn's ideas and I wish her all the best with her Embrace movement and documentary, but I couldn't get further that the first chapter, as the writing was so.. I guess, 'amateur'? Just an awful, blog-level style that was painful to try and read. Sorry.
Helen Hanna
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A worthwhile read. It's unlike me to read a book with swearing in it but the overall message is great. Counter cultural. A different voice to the mainstream pushing beauty and youth at any cost. Rather Brumfitt wants everyone to know that a positive body image is their right.
Martina
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
bought this for my daughter and couldn't put it down. so that's why my daughter feels like she does. She got it all from me.lm so ashamed of my body and l put that on to my daughter. inadvertently! !.We all need this.its a must read for every mum and dads
Isobel
Jan 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sacred Pleasure: Sex, Myth and the Politics of the Body
  • She Who Is: The Mystery of God in Feminist Theological Discourse
  • Breaking Vegan: One Woman's Journey from Veganism and Extreme Dieting to a More Balanced Life - Includes a Whole-Foods Eating Plan + Recipes
  • 1983: Reagan, Andropov, and a World on the Brink
  • Am I Thin Enough Yet?: The Cult of Thinness and the Commercialization of Identity
  • Defiant: A Broken Body Is Not a Broken Person
  • Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind
  • How Big Were Dinosaurs?
  • An A From Miss Keller
  • The Stalking of Julia Gillard
  • The Barefoot Investor for Families: The only kids' money guide you'll ever need
  • Drink Smoke Pass Out
  • Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies (For Dummies Health & Fitness)
  • The Soul of Discipline: The Simplicity Parenting Approach to Warm, Firm, and Calm Guidance- From Toddlers to Teens
  • Don't Swallow Your Gum!: Myths, Half-Truths, and Outright Lies About Your Body and Health
  • Bridge Burning and Other Hobbies
  • Children Just Like Me
  • The Highly Sensitive Person's Workbook
A lover of life, people and most of all, her husband and three children, Taryn Brumfitt is the founder and infectious voice behind the Body Image Movement – a global movement to shift the way women think about themselves, and in turn, feel about their bodies.

Writer, speaker and free spirit, Taryn is an internationally recognised positive body image activist rubbing shoulders with the likes of Beyo