Start by marking “Spirit Week Showdown (The Magnificent Mya Tibbs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spirit Week Showdown (The Magnificent Mya Tibbs, #1)

Spirit Week Showdown

(The Magnificent Mya Tibbs #1)

Nine-year-old Mya Tibbs is boot-scootin’ excited for the best week of the whole school year—SPIRIT WEEK! She and her megapopular best friend, Naomi Jackson, even made a pinky promise to be Spirit Week partners so they can win the big prize: special VIP tickets to the Fall Festival!

But when the partner picking goes horribly wrong, Mya gets paired with Mean Conni
Published January 26th 2016 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Spirit Week Showdown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirit Week Showdown

Start your review of Spirit Week Showdown (The Magnificent Mya Tibbs, #1)
Ezinwanyi
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My 8 year old daughter loved it and wrote a book review. Below is what she typed.

I loved this book!!!!
I like how Mya became friends with Connie. I also liked how Mya was really creative with spirit week. And even if she didn’t win spirit day she got something even better so I liked that things didn’t go the way that she planned she still got good things. I also liked Nugget’s friend Fish he was really funny and was really nice. Solo was not a nice person he was not actually Nugget’s fri
Russell Sanders
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t imagine a middle grade aged child not loving Mya Tibbs, for I can’t fathom anyone of any age not falling instantly in love with this little girl. That’s what happened to me! Author Crystal Allen, with The Magnificent Mya Tibbs: Spirit Week Showdown, has created a captivating, energetic, ‘always has a plan’ nine year old, and Mya wins your heart. Allen’s amazing little girl from Bluebonnet, Texas, is convinced she can conquer the world—or at least win the spirit week challenge at her scho ...more
Andrea
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mya and her best friend Naomi, want to win the school's contest for VIP tickets to the festival but when things don't go their way, Mya learns what real friendships are all about along with some hard lessons on trust and loyalty. This is a great story for students in 3rd grade and up.
Angela Blount

4.5 Stars

A stereotype hog-tying tale of friendship, loyalty, empathy, and forgiveness.

This book explores the pitfalls of “popularity,” along with the folly of judging people by their looks, clothing, or the rumors spread about them. It also examines the many faces of bullying—all on a vibrant level that most elementary-aged children should be able to connect with.

Mya Tibbs is a spirited, well-meaning 4th-grader with a cowgirl obsession and a knack for tall tales. When a promise
Allison
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for kids of all ages! I love Mya, her spunk and her ka-clunck!
Thank you, Crystal Allen.
Sherry Philippus
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wasn't excited about this Texas Bluebonnet nominee - the cover art didn't appeal to me, and the summary sounded like it was going to be a light, fluffy, girl-drama kind of read and I hate those. But it was short, and having just finished a heavy book I needed something light, so I jumped in. Boy, was I surprised! This story pulled a deep - and not easy - emotional response from me; I even found myself thinking about the characters the day after I finished the book, as if they were real. That's ...more
Vonna Carter
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg
Early middle grade readers have a new best friend! Crystal Allen has created a unique, jump-off-the-page character in Mya Tibbs, the rootin’est tootin’est kid in fourth grade. The wonderful cast of school friends (and enemies), teachers, school principal (you’re going to love his Spirit Week costume!) and a warm, loving family guarantee this series will be a sure hit.
Maya White-Lurie
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was ok, but nothing super special. If a kid really loves spirit week, they might be interested in the story. The narrative voice feels forced.
Whitney
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was really cute. I liked the messages on friendship and family that this book showed. Especially the family aspect. The children (Mya and Nugget) are very considerate and helpful to their parents. Their parents were really sweet and supportive, waiting for their kids to come to them with problems while knowing there was something going on. They allowed their kids to try and work it out on their own first without automatically stepping in.

The only thing I didn’t like is that the teacher is
Melanie Dulaney

Crystal Allen has written a wonderful book for my girls! Mya Tibbs is just like any of my students-struggling to make good decisions, trying make good friends and be one, and dealing with the ups and downs of school, family and life in general. And she does it with exuberance and joy, always throwing 100% at every task. I loved this book and know that my fourth and fifth graders will, too. Teachers will appreciate the cast of well-developed characters, the clear plot, and themes of friendship, f
Katie Hollyfield
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
My kids really liked this book. It made them laugh, but also had good messages about real friendship, bullying and the damage that gossip and rumors can cause. The characters are lovable, and while parents may find the plot predictable, kids will be cheering for Mya, and happy with the ending.
Mrs. Schuld
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! It was sweet and heartwarming. I wish Naomi would have had some kind of punishment for being so nasty, but I guess a good life lesson is that you can only choose how you respond to other people. It seemed like some of the characters were either too old or too young compared to one another. I felt like Connie seemed too mature for Mya. However, Mya saying, “I’ll make better mistakes tomorrow” was just the best line of the whole book.
Cortney
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mini Me Rating
Cindy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bluebonnet
Great story about friendship. Wonderful characters that reflect the hardships encountered while trying to figure out who your "real" friends are.
Abby
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Excellent book for a 4th grade girl. It's a nominee for the Young Hoosier Book Award (Indiana - kids read and then vote). I don't see it winning because it doesn't have universal appeal to boys. There is also an attempt at Texan/kid vocabulary (anyone ever heard of something being boo-yang cool?) that I could see the kids rolling their eyes at. Not my favorite, but has some good lessons about friendship.
Ms. Arca
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Mya’s family so much by the end of this book. I enjoyed the nuances of friendship, Mya’s relationship with her brother (and that we got another semi central character figure that wasn’t just all girls), and Connie made me feel inspired!

I also want to note there were a few truly beautiful scenes about talking about your struggles with loved ones, and a father figure who talks about feelings and openly shows care. This black family (!!!!!!!) is just what I’ve always wished I co
Aeicha
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Spirit Week is the best week at school and 9 year old Mya Tibbs is excited to be Spirit Week partners with her very popular BFF, Naomi Jackson. If the two girls win, they get coveted VIP tickets to the Fall Festival. But then things don’t go as planned and Mya ends up with Mean Connie Tate as a partner, and Naomi is furious. So furious, that other kids are calling Mya names and she has to think of a way to win back her BFF and survive being Connie’s partner. Good gravy!

Crystal Allen’
Annette
SPIRIT WEEK SHOWDOWN by Crystal Allen is the first book in the new Magnificent Mya Tibbs series for middle grade readers.

Mya and her best friend Naomi plan to win the Spirit Week partners competition. However when Mya is reluctantly paired with Mean Connie Tate, her hopes for winning VIP tickets to the Fall Festival quickly disappear. This authentic, endearing story explores many kinds of friendships and what it means to be a friend.

Librarians will find this charming and
JinkM
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, poc-mc
A pretty typical MG book dealing with stereotypes and who should be your real friends. I am sure we are all familiar with the premises of books like these, but I thought the author did a great job of telling a story that wasn't too cliché. The people in this book had a lot of character, and were a lot of fun! I'd recommend it for any kid's library.

I received this book through Goodreads giveaways.
Sean
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
I think I will have so many kiddos who will love this book. I, unfortunately, did not enjoy it. This is a very predictable book and the dialogue is sometimes all over the place. Students will love Mya and the sweet story. It is a great book to use for bullying and friendship with a class of students. I was just wishing for something stronger, but I know my students will be happy with Mya Tibbs.
Dixie Keyes
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Crystal Allen has remarkable talent in creating characters who laugh and love, who find some trouble and learn to solve problems. Her unique humor shines as her characters, Mya and friends, deliver the best times of middle school days to all readers who live in middle school classrooms wishing for a laugh and a great story of friends and fun.
Autumn
Irresistible 4th grade heroine and an engaging cast of characters learn some rough lessons about friendship in this school/family story set in Texas.

Love the setting and the dynamic between her brother and the popular kid, especially. Really smart about the inner lives of 4th graders. Also, super fun and cute in a way that real kids would like.
KC
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a really cute book for an elementary school reader. The main characters, especially Mya, are really easy to like, and the main plot that revolves around the activities for Spirit Week at school are amusing. But what makes the book useful to give to younger readers is how it handles the theme of real friendships versus fake ones.
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read an ARC of this story about a girl working through troubles with friends-something almost all students will relate to, but in this case, Mya has to solve her problems by the end of her school's Spirit Week. Students will enjoy this humorous story as each day's events unfold.
Kristine
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway

This book has excellent characters and a cute story. I am always looking for books to encourage reading for my friends children. I think this book will be definitely one that I will be encouraging all the young girls.
Michele Knott
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Mya is a fun character and I think young readers will like her. There were parts of the story that I chuckled out loud and parts that made me think about real life situations.
Denise
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good gravy in the Navy that was good!!!
JillyG
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute story about friendship and family. I liked the cowgirl/ranch theme.
Melissa Aguirre
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-readers
Very cute read!!! :-)
Casey Jo
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Supercute, with an awesome Black MG who knows how to lasso!

I'm not into the competition of spirit week, though. Kinda painful to read. And like, they can just declare competitions? What?
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Overboard! (Survivor Diaries)
  • Lights, Camera, Cook! (Next Best Junior Chef, #1)
  • The Sweetest Sound
  • I Love You, Michael Collins
  • A True Home (Heartwood Hotel, #1)
  • Ugly Cat & Pablo
  • Home Sweet Motel (Welcome to Wonderland, #1)
  • Little Cat's Luck
  • The Great Shelby Holmes (The Great Shelby Holmes, #1)
  • Dragons and Marshmallows (Zoey and Sassafras, #1)
  • Lola Levine: Drama Queen
  • The Doublecross: And Other Skills I Learned as a Superspy
  • The Ark Plan (Edge of Extinction, #1)
  • The Great Treehouse War
  • Unidentified Suburban Object
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse
  • Wedgie & Gizmo

The Magnificent Mya Tibbs (3 books)
  • The Wall of Fame Game (The Magnificent Mya Tibbs, #2)
  • Mya in the Middle