Start by marking “Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)” as Want to Read:
Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)

Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  1,674 Ratings  ·  380 Reviews
A teenage assassin kills with a single kiss until she is ordered to kill the one boy she loves..

Marinda has kissed dozens of boys. They all die afterward. It's a miserable life, but being a visha kanya, a poison maiden, is what she was created to do. Marinda serves the Raja by dispatching his enemies with only her lips as a weapon.

Until now, the men she was ordered to kiss
Published January 10th 2017 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Poison's Kiss, please sign up.
Breeana Shields I'm so glad you like the cover! The designers did a fantastic job! As for my inspiration, a few years ago I was listening to a lecture series on…moreI'm so glad you like the cover! The designers did a fantastic job! As for my inspiration, a few years ago I was listening to a lecture series on espionage and covert operations when the professor mentioned a legendary figure in Indian Folklore--the poison damsel, or visha kanya in Sanskrit. These were women who were fed poison from childhood in ever increasing doses until they were immune, but toxic to anyone else. Sometimes they could kill with a touch, sometimes with a kiss, sometimes with only a look. My imagination took off and I didn't hear another word of the lecture. When I couldn't stop thinking about it a few months later, I knew I had to write the story.(less)
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothFlame in the Mist by Renee AhdiehCaraval by Stephanie Garber
YA Novels of 2017
1,068 books — 7,237 voters
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
207 books — 1,521 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I loved this book. ❤

It won't happen right away. The poison will take some time to absorb into his skin where my lips brushed against his, to find its way into his blood-stream. To destroy him.

In one hour, his skin will heat. I can picture him taking off his black jacket, tugging at his yellow shirt, fanning himself with a newspaper. In two hours his nose will begin to run and his stomach will roil. In three hours his chest will tighten, his pupils will con
Lola  Reviewer
3.5 stars.

Marinda is deadly.

No, she can’t fight. No, she’s not that good of a manipulator. No, she’s not a renowned liar either.

Her ability? One kiss and you’re doomed. She works for the Raja (the King), getting rid of enemies by kissing them, one after the other.

Does she like it? She doesn’t. But she has to. If she doesn’t follow her orders, her little brother will die.

I’m happy this book was written. In YA literature, we can read about teens flying (Maximum Ride), teens killing with their tou
Rashika (is tired)
This review also appeared on Xpresso Reads

I am not entirely sure what I was expecting when I dove into Poison's Kiss. I was hoping to like it because I was intrigued by the premise but even when I was excited to read it, a small part of me was worried that it would not do justice to my culture. As a story, Poison's Kiss is fine. The romance is way too insta but it is engaging, there aren’t many plot holes and the characters are relatable. The world building is EXTREMELY lacking though. From the
Roshani Chokshi
Oct 22, 2015 marked it as to-read
I am so excited about this book!!! I love vishakanyas (duh) and am always eager to see more stories based on Indian folklore. YAY!
Tanaz
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My breath feels lodged in my throat, because I want to shake him off and at the same time I never want him to stop touching me. No one ever touches me. Not like this, all affectionate and casual and unafraid.

In the kingdom of Sundari, Marinda is a visha kanya (loosely translated to "poison girl" in Sanskrit) trained to kill the raja's enemies with a kiss, with the venom that runs through her veins ever since she was a baby. Kept isolated from the rest of the world by cruel handlers, Marinda ha
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
With a description that insinuates that both fans of Maas and Aveyard will love this debut novel, it was hard to not want to pick it up. Add in the eye catching cover and the alluring synopsis and it was pretty much hard for me to resist at all and I didn't find myself wanting to. So with fingers crossed I downloaded this and dove in.

And while this was an imaginative it was also weirdly addicting. Even though it truly wasn't anything unheard of in the world of YA, it was very well written and e
Whitney Gardner
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just *loved* this book.
Poison's Kiss is a fast-paced adventure with plenty of earth-shattering reveals and a romance that keeps you wanting more. You'll love following along as main character Marinda's story evolves from tragedy into mythology and her world opens up as she learns the truths that have been hidden behind her past, her family, and even her country. Marinda stirs deep sympathies with her life of deceit, subjugation, and suffering, and she has been granted a deadly power which she'
Candace Robinson
I really liked this one, and I liked reading from Merinda's perspective. The sisterly bond between her and Mani was incredibly sweet. Plus there are some scenes with snakes! Yes snakesssssssssssss! The romance was instaish, and I didn't really connect with Deven. He wasn't bad... he was just meh. This was definitely a good start to this series! Full review on my blog https://literarydust.wordpress.com/20...
Melissa
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of Breeana Shields' POISON'S KISS in exchange for an honest review. In this compelling, well written fantasy, Shields tells the tale of Marinda, a visha kanya, or "poison damsel," whose mission it is to assassinate men -- albeit against her will -- with a single, deadly kiss. When Marinda is assigned the murder of Deven, an exceptionally kind and handsome young men who patronizes the local bookshop, Marinda knows that the rules of the game are about to change. A fast-paced stor ...more
Beth  (YA Books Central)
"A teenage assassin kills with a single kiss....
Until she is ordered to kill the one boy she loves."

The first thing that drew my attention to this book was the gorgeous and seductive cover art of Poison's Kiss. WOW...That cover is AMAZING! and then I read the synopsis and KNEW I had to have this one....and it did not disappoint. I was mesmerized from the first page to the last and cannot wait to read the conclusion!!

The main character, Marinda, is a visha kanya also known as a poison maiden.
Emily Murphy
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They say good writing is easy reading--this one will go down like a cup of tea, sweet and strong, and a plot that just keeps darkening as it steeps. I soaked up the rich, lush, beautiful writing. Marinda is a complex heroine drawn with an exceedingly skilled hand. I loved the different shades of relationships in this book--especially the complicated, uneasy friendship at its core. Shields is able to wield short, simple sentences that are stunningly poignant and as pointed as daggers (or, I guess ...more
mith
you can read this review HERE as well!
---
I AM A LYING LIAR. who lies. i said "soon" but clearly my "soon" differs from the actual meaning. anyhoo.

hoo boy. hoooooo boy.

look. i desperately wanted to like this book--as far as i know, it was based on indian mythology, how cool is that?! but it was just.... so bad..... and poorly written.... and boring..... how many ellipses can i add to get my point across in this review? let's find out.

(partially kidding on that account) but for real. FIRST THINGS
Rosalyn Eves
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had the chance to read an early copy of Breeana Sheild's lovely debut, Poison's Kiss. Marinda is a visha kanya--a poison maiden whose can kill with a kiss. Though Marinda hates her role in the death of so many anonymous men and boys (albeit men and boys she's been told are threats to the kingdom), she doesn't see any other choice, not if she wants the medicine that keeps her little brother alive.

But that was before Marinda got to know one of her marks--and this time, she'll have to decide exa
Katie Nelson
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early copy of this book!

Set in a fantasy world similar to India, this book is a delight. I loved being immersed in this unique world and following the story of Marinda, an assassin who can kill with just a kiss. Marinda was such an interesting character. She fiercely loves her younger brother, and believes she is serving the raja, even if she doesn't always feel right about what she does. Her story was so complicated, and I felt conflicted right along with her.

As th
Danielle
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this book in giant gulps like the sweet maratha fruit Deven gives to Mani. It's fun and fascinating and totally compelling but WHY OH WHY is the sequel not available yet?!?! *weeps*
K.K. Pérez
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya
A thoroughly compelling read that I finished in one sitting! Get ready for lots of twists and turns and heart pounding!
Jasmine (Jasmine Pearl Reads)
This novel is based from an Indian folklore. This is my FIRST time reading something about that and I REALLY loved it. Anyway, this was also my first fantasy read of the year and I’m not disappointed. NOT at all. Why didn’t I read this sooner? Ew, Jasmine.

Poison’s Kiss was an all-in-one book. All the feels were there. Marinda’s life was quite devastating and miserable. Her kiss could kill anyone. She’s created to be a visha kanya *it sounds so beautiful, admit it* and she’s ordered to kill stran
KT
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a read-in-one-sitting kind of book. I picked it up, devoured it, and then thought about it afterwards. Marinda has experienced so much to become a (reluctant) assassin, and the work she does tortures her, although she wants to serve the Raja. Her conflicted emotions are so natural and understandable, and they're complicated by her desire to protect her sickly brother at all costs. Throw in the handsome suitor who sees through her carefully constructed front, and you get all sorts of int ...more
Patricia
Beautiful writing, riveting plot, engaging characters - Breeana Shields manages to combine all three in her engaging debut. Shields captures your attention from page one - with gorgeous description and an empathetic character. She carries it through the twists and turns of this page-turner, as Marinda struggles with her duty, her self, and her fate. A story of deceit, betrayal, friendship, and ultimately love, Poison's Kiss will stay with you long after you finish the book and leave you longing ...more
Luu
MINIRECENZIA NA BLOGU

Myslím, že všetci potrebujeme občas trochu pobaviť, takže sa neostýchajte a doprajte si obsah tejto knihy:

(view spoiler)
Cale Dietrich
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: swanky-17s
I’m a huge fantasy fan, so I had super high hopes for Poison’s Kiss, and it totally exceeded my expectations! This is a great book: it’s swoony, unputdownable, and freaking epic.

The protagonist, Marinda, has had an incredibly difficult upbringing: she is a visha kanya, which means she is literally poisonous – and she has been forced to use these abilities to work as an assassin. I loved her as a character, and I really felt for her in her struggle – her internal conflict over what she is often
Sara
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wait, wait, wait. I'm sorry, HOW long do I have to wait for the sequel?

This book blends folklore and fantasy with absolutely gorgeous writing, unforgettable characters, and a story that kept me turning pages. I can't wait to find out what happens next.
These Violent Delights (Robin)
Oh my god, this book was amazing. I haven't read a book in a while that kept me on my toes the whole entire time. The characters were well written and same goes for the plot. I really really want book 2 now! I kind of hate myself for reading it so soon cause now I have to wait so long for the sequel.

So glad I am starting off 2017 with such great reads!
Gwen Cole
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-debuts
Once again, I hit the ARC jackpot. I devoured this book. With a fresh world, wonderful characters, and beautiful writing, it was impossible not to. Sometimes an awesome concept will fall flat once you start reading but this was NOT the case with POISON'S KISS. It was everything I was hoping for and more, and I can't wait to read the sequel!
Tricia Levenseller
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book by Breeana Shields! The mythology is killer! The romance is sweet and full of tension. And the snakes! So many snakes. The relationships and dynamics in the book are set up perfectly to give the story the high stakes and tension it needs. I cannot wait for the next book!
Alexandra Ott
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
POISON'S KISS is such a fascinating, compelling fantasy. I devoured it quickly because I just couldn't put it down. The twists! The reveals! The heart-pounding suspense! I also love the characters; Marinda's sibling relationship with Mani is so emotional, and her chemistry with Deven is great too. There are so many great, complex secondary characters, and no one is quite what they seem at first. I'm so excited that there will be a sequel! Definitely recommend for fans of fast-paced fantasy adven ...more
Nicka (Read by Nicka)
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading a 5 star book I immediately picked up Poison’s Kiss without reading the synopsis. I had no expectation whatsoever about this one, me being quite picky when it comes to my fantasy reads! But to my surprise I didn’t regret picking this one up, it was AMAZING!!!!

Beautifully crafted story based on an Indian folklore- visha kanya- poison maiden! It’s a great addition to my favorite fantasy series. I literally live for anything folklore may it be Russian, Victorian etc. It makes me more
Rebecca Ross
I was so excited to have a chance to read this ARC! I sat down one afternoon with POISON'S KISS and quickly found that I. Could. Not. Stop. Reading! Shield's writing is magical--it flows right off the page--and the world is so beautiful and immersive that for a day, I truly felt like I was a visha kanya.

And then there is DEVEN. *swoons*

I need the sequel *cries because it is so far away*
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
A good debut! I really enjoyed this! The world building is beautiful! I wish I would've connected with the characters a bit more though. I will definitely be reading book 2.
McCall Hoyle
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shields is definitely an up-and-coming voice in YA fantasy. POISON'S KISS is a genius debut based on Indian folklore. I devoured it in record time and can't wait to read more of Mirinda's story in the 2018 sequel.
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • Bound by Blood and Sand (Bound by Blood and Sand #1)
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
Breeana Shields is the author of the POISON'S KISS duology (Random House BFYR) and forthcoming THE BONE CHARMER (Page Street, Spring 2019).
When she’s not writing, Breeana loves reading, playing board games and spending time with her husband, her three children and two extremely spoiled dogs. She lives in the Pacific Northwest, where it drizzles, rains or pours nine months of the year, but then tra
More about Breeana Shields

Poison's Kiss (2 books)
  • Poison's Cage (Poison's Kiss #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Final Six
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
    $10.00 $1.99
  • Orphan Island
    $9.00 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“I’m not a bad person. At least that’s what I tell myself over and over as I wend my way through the marketplace, past the vendors selling spiced meats and bright fabric, incense and rare birds.” 4 likes
“That's how you know something is ready to be devoured, when it gives just a little under pressure. It's the same with people.” 1 likes