Start by marking “Things I Wish I'd Known: Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood” as Want to Read:
Things I Wish I'd Known: Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood

Things I Wish I'd Known: Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood

THE PERFECT GIFT FOR MOTHER'S DAY!

Look at the front cover of any parenting book and what do you see? Glowing mothers-to-be, or pristine, beautifully-behaved children.

But the reality is, your pregnancy might be a sweaty, moody rollercoaster, and your children will almost certainly spend the first few years of their lives covered in food, tears and worse. And the experience
Published March 5th 2015 by Icon Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Things I Wish I'd Known, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things I Wish I'd Known

Start your review of Things I Wish I'd Known: Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood
Joanna
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, non-fiction, baby
Humorous, honest and reassuring. Not for fans of Gina Ford, she gets quite the slagging
Emma McCleary
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband's work colleague gave me this when our baby was about one and I took great comfort reading each short article on the days I felt like a shit mother.

I don't read parenting books but this was more a manifesto of solidarity from smart, educated, sassy women.

I enjoyed each piece at the time and have forgotten them all instantly. A great read when you feel you're all alone doing the worst possible job of raising your beautiful child.
Caz
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovvvvved this. Don’t think I would have appreciated it when I was expecting - even though that’s when it’s aimed at - and I do think parenting in our first year has mostly been about letting things happen, but now I can fully understand where this collection of essays are coming from.
Megan
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humouring and easy to read
Alyce Hunt
Things I Wish I'd Known was recommended to me by a friend who used to work in Waterstones, because she said that so many pregnant customers said it was a necessary read before giving birth. I thought I might as well give it a go: it's a collection of non-fiction essays - always a fast read - and I was sure that something one of the mothers said would resonate with my experience of pregnancy.

I actually ended up relating the most to the first essay in the collection, written by Adele Parks. In it,
The Book Grocer
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Purchase Things I Wish I'd Known here for just $10!

An intriguing title for an honest, sometimes hilarious look at motherhood. Whether you think you know it all, or nothing, everyone will get something out of these wonderful stories that combine joy, reality and honesty without the saccharine part.

Elisa - The Book Grocer
Caro Erasmus
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a treat!!

A collection of essays about motherhood written by proper writers, as opposed to some blogger laughing at her own jokes.

Each writer focuses on a different aspect of motherhood, giving the reader a glimpse into her unique challenges and experiences. Many of the essays are genuinely funny; others heartfelt.

This book really helped me in the early days of being a new mom - especially being in lockdown, this book made me feel less alone.

Highly recommended!
Irma Setiani
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buku yang sangat berkesan buatku! Lewat berbagai pengalaman yang diceritakan banyak perempuan dalam buku ini, aku belajar banyak banget hal yg sebelumnya gak pernah aku baca dan ketahui tentang menjadi ibu.
Stell
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not usually one to enjoy short stories, however I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Hearing many perspectives on motherhood was captivating and great reminder that you’re not the only one thinking and feeling the way you do! A book on how parenting really is no sugar coating 🙂
Naomi
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really didn't like this book. It was overly negative, particularly about breast feeding, and was repetitive and boring. ...more
Annie
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Thanks to my cousin Charlotte for this one! It made me cry a lot, but that may be my hormones and exhaustion.
Arpita
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being in my mid twenties, motherhood isn't really on my mind. Why did I then put myself through this book you ask? I'm grappling with the pertinent question of why people evenbother having kids and I hoped I'd find some answers in this book. Alas, apart from a handful of mothers who said it was all worth it to see your child smile back at you, none of the others really touched on why they chose to have a child. Other than that, there were a lot of horror stories about pregnancy, child birth and ...more
Juliana Rodrigues
I think it is useful to read about another person experiences in a new area for me. Looking through that point of view this book gave me exactly what it promised. Short essays about another mothers perspective of how it really was for them the enter in motherhood, with a few things that they wished they'd had know before.
Some passages were funny, a few scary and mostly of them showed with a striking honest what it was like for them to have a baby.
Helen
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
What a disappointment - I picked it up in the kindle sale and thought it might have something to add, but in the main it was just that appalling kind of smart assed "sassiness" and may as well have been sponsored by a formula company.
An incredibly limited group of contributors - pretty much all professional writers of some sort, living in Lond - and an incredibly limited worldview.
So Afsaneh Knight's wonderful piece shone out, a jewel in otherwise unexceptional drabness.
Lisa Ann
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny in many parts. So I liked it. Some great tips too!

“Whatever your child looks like, you may find yourself crying at some point in the hospital because everyone else’s babies are so ugly, whereas yours is so lovely. Just know that everyone thinks that about about their babies too, and feels sorry for you for having such a minger.”

ABSOLUTELY the best line in the book.
Jemma (Aussie BookWorm)
Another amazingly honest collection of motherhood by real mums. Full review: http://aussiebookworm.weebly.com/ ...more
Olivia Thomas
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really interesting read with lots of different mum's and their different experiences really easy enjoyable read. ...more
Ria hartley
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not as humorous as I was hoping for, well written but I confess I skipped a lot of the book as it got really repetitive
Milda
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different opinios and different views of motherhood. easy to read and enjoy the reading :)
Miss Stacey L Hurlstone
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

An uncomplicated look at motherhood that is funny and varied. A collection of realistic outlooks that won't terrify mums to be but will make veteran mums laugh.
alesssia
Some chapters will make you laugh loud --and a few will put you asleep.
Donna Boultwood
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really funny essays.
Kat
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I give this 3.5.
Michelle
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great collection of essays about the good and the bad of motherhood. a wonderful read as you're matching toward your due date. ...more
Margiegie
Sep 12, 2020
Dec 11, 2016
Rebecca Slater
May 10, 2015

• How to Grow a Baby and Push It Out: A guide to pregnancy and birth straight from the midwife's mouth
  • Hypnobirthing: Practical Ways to Make Your Birth Better
  • Life Honestly: Strong Opinions from Smart Women
  • The Book You Wish Your Parents Had Read {and Your Children Will Be Glad That You Did}
  • The Hungover Games: A True Story
  • The Pregnancy Countdown Book: Nine Months of Practical Tips, Useful Advice, and Uncensored Truths
  • Grown Ups
  • How to Be a Dad: The ultimate guide to pregnancy, birth & dirty nappies
  • Grown
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • State of the Union: A Marriage in Ten Parts
  • Babies & Toddlers for Men: 101 Tips
  • How to (Almost) Make Friends on the Internet
  • Standard Deviation
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • Sh**ged. Married. Annoyed.
  • Big Summer