Start by marking “Sojourner Truth: Ain't I a Woman?” as Want to Read:
Sojourner Truth: Ain't I a Woman?

Sojourner Truth: Ain't I a Woman?

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  616 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Published to coincide with African-American History Month, here is the stirring, award-winning biography of Sojourner Truth--preacher, abolitionist, and activist for the rights of African-Americans and women. A rich profile.--School Library Journal. A 1993 Coretta Scott King Honor Book.
Published January 1st 1994 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Sojourner Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sojourner Truth

Mr. Kovach
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. I always enjoy it when I come across a book about a famous figure in history, a name I know I've heard of before, but about whom I know very little. Such was the case when in our classroom a few weeks ago I came across this book about Soujourner Truth. I KNEW she was famous as a civil rights activist, but I didn't know much more than that. After reading this book I surely do know more, and I realize why she is still famous today. She was born a slave, eventually be ...more
Larisha
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This great book begins with the birth of Sojourner Truth... taking the reader all the way through her life. We learn about her as a slave, as a free woman, as a preacher, an abolitionist, and an activist for the rights of both blacks and women.

I Loved the section of the book where a woman asked Belle her name and 2 John 1 - 4 came to her mind - where it says "It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth just as the father commanded us." After thinking a'bit she th
Charlotte
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book told about everything Sojourner really cared about.It wasn't just a short summary of Sojourner's life.It was a description of everything Sojourner did.There is no reason to deduct a star, so I will not.

Sojourner was born a slave girl named Isabella.Her parents shortened it to Belle. Belle did lots of hard work on the plantation.But one day, her master broke a promise to her, and she walked away to a quaker's house.There she began her journey_ and quest for freedom. She did many amazing
ChaelynA
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sojourner Truth: Ain’t I A Woman, by Patricia C. McKissack, is a biography about the amazing Sojourner Truth. Born a slave, but later freed, sojourner truth is a remarkable woman who was the very first African-American woman to win a court case against a white man, and an avid speaker for women's rights, and the end of slavery. The author explores the idea that life can hard, but makes the point that you should never stop fighting for what you believe in. I recommend this book to anybody who nee ...more
sarafem
Mar 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Juvenile bio is a hard genre, especially once out of the picture book category. This is a fifth grade level chapter book, so in theory it should have bored the reader to tears, and sometimes it did. But I learned so much about this amazing woman and found myself thinking I had to get this back on the library shelf in hopes that a student would come across it and find themselves as inspired as I was. Boring or not, that's what makes a good juvenile chapter bio.
Capri Butler
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was really aewsome for me. like i never like history that much. But this book changed me to like history. This book talked about slavery and other thing. this one part that mad me sad a little was when her kids had to be taken away. I really didn't like that part at all because it was sad. But i really love this book very much.
Lisa Filter
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got this for my 8 year old son but quickly realized that the subject was too sad and tragic for his age. But I kept reading myself and couldn't put the book down. I cried numerous times while reading. Amazed at Soujouner's courage. She is an inspiration.
Tatiana
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am not the kind of child who loves reading historical and non-fiction biographies...this book changed that for me. When I read this book I wanted to read more and more. I really felt the pain and struggle she went through and I hope others get a chance to read this amazing book!
Dexter
While I do like Sojourner Truth, there's no avoiding the fact that this book is just poorly written and a pain to read.
Hannah Mead
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Strength. If there is one word that comes to my mind when you say the name of Sojourner Truth, that word would be it. Strength of body – she stood 6 foot tall and had a tough figure from doing manual work for the majority of her life. Strength of mind – though illiterate, she could quote large portions of the Bible from her sharp memory. Strength of character – born into slavery, she did not let it embitter her. She rose above the hate and grief and instead she let her heart be transformed by he ...more
  • Minty: A Story of Young Harriet Tubman
  • Promises to Keep: How Jackie Robinson Changed America
  • Twelve Rounds to Glory: The Story of Muhammad Ali
  • The Captive
  • Poet: The Remarkable Story of George Moses Horton
Patricia C. McKissack was the Newbery Honor, Coretta Scott King Award-winning author of The Dark-Thirty and Porch Lies an ALA Notable Book. She collaborated with Jerry Pinkney on Goin' Someplace Special (Coretta Scott King Award winner) and Mirandy and Brother Wind (Coretta Scott King Award winner and Caldecott Honor Book).
More about Patricia C. McKissack...