Start by marking “Contract to Kill (Nathan McBride, #5)” as Want to Read:
Contract to Kill (Nathan McBride, #5)

Contract to Kill

(Nathan McBride #5)

When Toby Haynes witnesses a double murder—and suspects his boss, Tanner Mason, as the perpetrator of the crime—he does the only thing he can think of: he calls in Nathan McBride.

CIA special ops veteran McBride and his partner, Harvey Fontana, respond to their friend’s plea. As they launch a covert investigation into Mason, the security chief for one of the nation’s
Published August 11th 2015 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Contract to Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contract to Kill

Start your review of Contract to Kill (Nathan McBride, #5)
Glen
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: men-s-adventure
Nathan McBride, a special ops guy, and a bit of a whiner, is called in when an acquaintance witnesses a murder. The perpetrator belongs to a big private contractor, tasked with doing something about the border situation.

McBride gets involved, has a tiff with his father, and eventually stops the bad guys.

Not bad.
Morton Kenyon
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Summer read

The Nathan McBride series is fast moving and action packed.Peterson is on a par with Lee Child. Recommend this series to devotees of the thriller gendre.
Jeannie Walker
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
First off, I want to say: Bravo, Andrew Peterson...one more burst. Make it close.
Now, back to my review - There’s always lots of action when Nathan McBride is involved, and he has a great sidekick who can almost do the impossible. There’s a lot under the rug of this novel.
Jeannie Walker (Award-Winning Author)
Fighting the Devil: A True Story of Consuming Passion, Deadly Poison, and Murder
I Saw the Light - A True Story of a Near-Death Experience
Thomas, The Friendly Ghost - A True Story of
Tom Tischler
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Toby Haynes witnesses a double murder and he suspects his boss Tanner Mason
as the perpetrator of the crime he can think of only one thing to do, he calls his friend
Nathon McBride. CIA's special ops veteran operator and his partner Harvey Fontana.
They respond to his plea and begin a covert investigation into Mason the security chief
for one of the nations leading private military contractors. Mason and his inner circle
are leading a top secret operation to tackle a wave of crime plaguing
Steve
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot for this story is launched by a character who was at best peripheral way back in book number one. For fans of the series, they will likely recognize the character soon after reading. It's interesting to see the author have fun with an old throwaway character, then use him to such great effect in this book. Where things go from there is a massive shift in scale as a new, large-scale military contractor is pulled into the story for the first time. And thanks to the politics of the ...more
Jean
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
The book opens up in a war zone (Afghanistan) against the Taliban, Tanner Mason; a private military contractor is leading the raid. Then the story switches to modern day San Diego, California, as Nathan McBride answers a call from a friend Toby Haynes. Toby accuses Tanner of murder. Nathan and his partner Harvey Fontana start to investigate. Boy oh Boy the action begins and never stops.

Peterson is an excellent writer and even though this is book five the quality has not let up. Peterson displays
Ty Owen
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I say the same thing every time....Peterson needs more play. He is an excellent writer and McBride is a great character. I really like this series.
McBride is a retired Marine/ Black ops soldier who know owns his own business with his old spotter. The two make a great team and even though they are retired and getting older, they just can not give up the thrill. McBride is a more stable version of Jack Reacher, trouble seems to always find him.
This is a great book, and I am ok with a long set up
Ink Drinker
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
As I feared, Nathan has become too Christian for me. The writing gets murky around Nathan's relationship with Holly in a inane way. I liked the first novel best and should've stopped there. 2.5 stars for good action.
Allison
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, kindle-book
I devoured this! Not my favorite Nathan McBride. Too much talking in places and not enough action, but it's a minor quibble. If you like high action thrillers, look no further.
Frank Mikes
While I liked this book, there were a couple of things that struck me as a little off.

Early on in the book, one of the characters observes someone he works with acting suspiciously and follows him. Fair enough, that I can understand. However, when he then observes this guy then commit a crime and that he is armed, that would be when I call the police and leave it to them. I don't know if this is an American thing or general distrust of the police, maybe even just trying to show that the
Mike Nemeth
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Peterson's protagonist in the series, Nathan McBride, is damaged but functional. In "Contract to Kill," McBride, the operative who bears the facial scars of an intense weeks-long bout of torture in the Nicaraguan jungle that nearly took his life, meets with another in his line of work who doesn't quite have his moral compass. The life taints those who immerse themselves in its dark side. The decisions that many take for granted, like not killing people for random things, become less ...more
James Wirrell
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows in the action packed footsteps of the Nathan McBride series. In this book Nathan and Harv come together to help out a former acquaintance who witnessed his bosses commit a murder. Like the previous books in this series, the author spends a lot of time describing action scenes, while the character development is rather light. It’s pretty clear that these are action/adventure books, and not character studies. This is fine with me as it makes here books a fun, quick and light read ...more
Sheryl Bowman
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great story by Andrew Peterson.

Interesting story that kept me riveted, with a surprise outcome I won't reveal. As a layperson with no gun
experience nor military, it was easy to fo!low with just enough characters to make it interesting. You gotta love Nathan who seems more human than. Mitch Rapp. I think I only have one more to read in this series and I am .exhausted hearing about all the constant maneuvering and thinking and planning and Plan B's Nathan and crew did. I give it a 4 1/2!!
Jeff Benham
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has all the action you would expect from this series and then some. Tanner Mason is a security chief for a high level private military company and instrumental in organizing a program the government would like to carry out off the books. Actually not a bad guy for a bad guy. He is careful not to kill innocents on his missions. His problem is his love of money, which leads to actions which end up involving Nathan and Harv. Throw in some S. Koreans and a Mexican cartel and you have the ...more
Charris
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This features Nathan McBride, former sniper, and his partner Harvey Fontana, both former Marines and members of the CIA. Their mission is to apprehend three private military contractors who are planning to rob from a vicious Mexican cartel leader. There are many dead bodies, lots of twists and turns, and non-stop action. It was interesting to see how they set up their operations. Characters are well developed and it was a thriller from beginning to end.
Michele Thomas
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read, keeps you wanting to read longer

I understand men (especially military men) drop the "F" bomb, however that is one word unnecessary in any context. Intelligent people don't use it and it never adds to a statement in a way that improves as sentence or situation. That said, its repeated use did fit the situation.
The author keeps me in suspense and I hate putting his books down. I'm in the battles and waiting to hear bullets whizzing by me.
June Finnigan
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping fast moving thriller

A former marine witnesses a murder on his way to his nightshift and recognises the murderer. Horrified, he rings his old friend Nathan McBride who rushes over to assist him. But all goes horribly wrong when the murderer discovers that our man was in the area, and may have seen what happened. Nail biting stuff.
June Finnigan - Writer
Linda Pobanz
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contract

I must have missed the reason this was the title but it was still a great novel. I find it hard to believe I'm about to read the last book. I hope Mr Peterson writes more because Nathan and Harv are awesome. I even have my husband reading them. He's a veteran and he's enjoying them immensely. Mr. Peterson is a great author!
Thomas D
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New Challenges & New Possibilities, more coming also.

Deals in action & suspense; also the moral & legal questions of war on organized crime & terror. Some good wisdom to consider. Also the how's & why's of government & business corruption. Shows the value of True Statesmen & the Warriors they support. Lessons sorely needed in Today's World.
Pam Royston
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nat and Harv are called into action again by an old friend. Things become dicey when they realize his friend is mixed up with a mercenary who has gone rouge. Nat's dad becomes a hero. I won't ruin it for you but it was something out of a movie script! The only thing I will say with this series is Peterson puts more detail about guns and ammunition than most people care to know about.
Sean
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A better book than option to kill. Better plot but a bit unbelievable that a united States senator would get involved, you can look forward to that one.... Anyway think Andrew has redeemed himself in my opinion with this book. Liked the way he wasn't scared to kill off some old friends of Nathan's (but none of the important ones of course).
Joe
Oct 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the last Nathan McBride fiasco for me. This one had an inkling of potential but played out to absurdity. At the 95% completion mark, I stopped reading as McBride's 85 year old man was manning the turret of a speeding Humvee in a desert shootout. Zero food for thought.
Junapha Robinson
Never a dull moment

This book is just one more in a great series. There is never a dull moment in the lives of Nathan and Harv. Being married to a Marine and reading these books only makes me appreciate and love him more.
Patty A McKay
It's ok

This book has the same cadence as the others, but it just didn't capture my attention as well. The spiritual moment was a bit too much. I liked the book but it wasn't as good as before.
Woody James
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in San Diego, much of it in the Clairemont area. Makes it all the more interesting when I know the streets and places like I live there too, Oh yea I do. Bloody but then most of this series is bloody and dark still a good read.
Randy Ramsey
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 4 was a fluke

Don't know what happened with book four, but it wasn't very good. Almost like it was written by someone else. This book returns to the format of the first three which read works for me.
Anita Savage
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner.

Action packed and thought provoking. I didn't think it could be possible for each book in a series to be as good as or better than the previous one but it has happened with this series. Now on to number six and more late nights.
Dan
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great climatic scene

Peterson didn't disappoint. He remains fresh, unpredictable and entertaining. Another enjoyable read. Captivating until the end. For me, Peterson is up there with Rollins and Flynn!
bonnie kirchner
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contract to Kill

I will say the same thing I said last book I love this series. This is a very exciting series. I love that you are kept in suspense until the very end. This is an outstanding series.
John
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Terrific constant covert military action

Incredible detail with undoubted respect to real heros. The technical detail of weapons and firefights is extreme unless you understand it. But it's ethics are laudatory and its a great read if you have the patience.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hard Hit (Jon Reznick, #6)
  • Hard Fall (Jon Reznick, #5)
  • Hard Way (Jon Reznick, #4)
  • Requiem (American Ghost #3)
  • Reckoning (American Ghost #2)
  • Hard Wired (Jon Reznick, #3)
  • Hard Shot (Jon Reznick, #7)
  • Hard Kill (Jon Reznick, #2)
  • Seek and Destroy (Eva Driscoll #2)
  • Gray Vengeance (Tom Gray, #5)
  • The Fairmont Maneuver (Scott Steletto #2)
  • Rogue (American Ghost #1)
  • Blood Rush (Team Reaper Thriller #4)
  • Hard Road (Jon Reznick, #1)
  • Run and Hide (Eva Driscoll #1)
  • Kill Count (Team Reaper Thriller #5)
  • The Glinkov Extraction (Scott Steletto #3)
  • Gray Resurrection (Tom Gray, #2)
Andrew Peterson is the internationally bestselling author of the Nathan McBride series. Born and raised in San Diego, California, he attended La Jolla High School before enrolling at the University of Oklahoma, where he earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Architecture.

An excellent marksman, he holds the classification of Master in the NRA’s High Power Rifle ranking system. His familiarity with

Nathan McBride (7 books)
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
  • Forced to Kill (Nathan McBride, #2)
  • Option to Kill (Nathan McBride, #3)
  • Ready to Kill (Nathan McBride, #4)
  • Right to Kill (Nathan McBride, #6)
  • Hired to Kill (Nathan McBride #7)
“when you forgive someone, it doesn’t diminish or erase what was done to you. You don’t have to understand why they did it, and you certainly don’t have to be on friendly terms with someone who’s hurt you. When you forgive someone, you’re doing it to release their debt to you.” “Debt?” “Yes, you’re moving on with your life and you don’t require anything from the person who hurt you.” 2 likes
“Right now, the index is fairly low, meaning that the vast majority of Americans don’t feel threatened or fear a terrorist attack is pending. The longer we go without a major terrorist incident, the more secure our citizens feel. We have an expectation of feeling safe in public places,” 1 likes