Start by marking “The Adventures of Geraldine Woolkins” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Geraldine Woolkins

The Adventures of Geraldine Woolkins

Young Geraldine longs to have adventures as thrilling as those in the Book of Tales, the book her papa reads to her and her brother Button at night. More than that, she wants to be brave--a seemingly impossible task in a world where ravens throw black shadows over the earth and wolves prowl barren lands in search of their prey. But Geraldine is a mouse. The weakest of grou

Published 2015 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Geraldine Woolkins, please sign up.
Karin Kaufman The only illustration is on the cover. One of these days I'd love to do an illustrated version, though!

Cynthia
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Below is a review was written by my daughter, who is eleven, an avid reader, and has a mind of her own. I would only add that this is a clever and sweet book you can feel good about sharing (and as an adult, have fun reading) with anyone, big or little.**

Geraldine Woolkins kept me on my toes and I loved every minute of it. It’s about a mouse who dreams of adventure and tries to come closer to God. I loved how she was a new mouse and didn’t know very much. The relationship between her and her b
Diana
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what was promised in that it is a cozy book for adults and one that can be read and discussed with really young children. It was engaging and delightful as Geraldine gets herself in one mess after another. The lessons of love, caring, sharing, helping your fellow creatures as well as the dangers that can be part of life are in there. Very, very big Hands is portrayed wonderfully for all beliefs. There is so much in this book that it would take a book to write about all the ...more
Robin
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a totally delightful book for all ages. Geraldine's adventures are exciting and some are scarey. I was so engaged from the first, I didn't want to put the book down. The life of this mouse patterns little children learning obedience and reliance on God (Very Very Big Hands). I found the writing to be excellent and I felt as though I was right there with Geraldine, taking part in all her adventures. I was given a copy by the author in exchange for a fair review.
Donna Kimpel
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adventure for all ages !!!

I absolutely loved reading about the mice family adventures. While the young mice are learning and growing the parents are teaching them lessons they will need to survive. They have many woodland friends that help them get out of some sticky situations. These friends are special in many ways. Once you start reading you will get caught up in the story wanting to see what happens next. One of the lessons from the book is that people may be different from us, but in many w
Sharon Brewer
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet read! Loved it!

I really enjoyed reading about the adventures of a little mouse named Geraldine. Although this appears to be a children's story, it will be enjoyed by all ages. This book contains messages about life that apply to all of us. I loved the descriptive language. It was very easy to imagine the animals and their surroundings. I hope this author will write more adventures about little Geraldine and her family.
Virginia Winfield
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think that children will really love this read to them. It is well written and a good story. It was fun to learn what mice might really be like when they are young. I think there should be more pictures. This was very cute. It was almost a story within a story. I received an ebook copy from the author for a fair and honest opinion.
Barbara Ann
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful chapter book consisting of ten stories that revolve around a fearless family of mice facing the dangers and challenges of winter. Geraldine is the protagonist who was born in April, but now in October is facing the end of the gathering season. She and her brother Nigel have much to learn and experience. Readers are introduced to their friends in the forest, Penelope, the sparrow and Cheddar, a white rabbit. The children love to hear their father Nigel read to them stories from the B ...more
Krista
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grades
My kids and I loved this book!
Chris Meads
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute book about a family of mice. The main character is Geraldine, a new mouse (a young mouse). She has a younger brother and a mom and dad.

Geraldine learns what it means to have friends, what is dangerous and to have common sense and bravery. She has many adventures and thinks she isn't brave. But her father says otherwise. "When you're scared, that's when you are most brave" he tells her.

This is an enjoyable book. One that can be read to young children at night and for those who can
Vicki Whitfield
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable story of a mouse family that faces life with love, respect and spiritual beliefs. A wonderful story to share with your children and discuss the adventures as they unfold. I found my self telling Geraldine don't go there, run, and I grew quickly to care very much for these characters. A wonderful family book.
Karen
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story for all ages!

Well written and very engaging. Children and adults alike will enjoy the adventures of this mouse family and their friends and learn along with them to trust in God.
Amanda
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book! Take the author's advice, get yourself a cup of cocoa and read this to your children or grandchildren or, if you have neither, simply savor the story.
Courtney Whitfield
My mom and I read it together. We really enjoyed the wonderful characters, their adventures and the lessons they learned along the way. Good book for the whole family to share.
Ann
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The innocence of Fieval in an American Tail, and the earnesty of Secret of Nigmh" --Ann Hunter

This was a great book! I needed to entertain my 4yo daughter one afternoon, and started reading Geraldine Woolkins to her. Right away I was captivated.

I believe we can agree that there is always a larger force in the universe at work. Call it Buddha, Karma, Fate; I'm good with whatever your persuasion is.
But for the purposes of this review, I'm going to call that larger force "God".

The Adventures of
Katie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: intermediate
I requested a copy of this via inter-library loan to check it out for my children, most especially as a read-aloud for a first grader, and I am so glad I did. Having read it aloud once, this is a book I will purchase for my children to read themselves over the next several years. The Woolkins family is a wonderful model without being perfect. They are loving, if occasionally the mother worries to much. The children mean well, but they a foolish and arrogant at times as all fallen people on plane ...more
Amber White
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading to my boys

This is a wonderful book to read to kids showing how God shows up in peoples homes and adventures, big and small. Both my 8year old and my 10year old boys enjoyed it and immediately asked if there are more books about Geraldine Woolkins when the book was done. I also enjoyed reading it. Little lessons through out.
Aimee
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Adventures of Geraldine Woolkins is a pretty good book. It's a nice story about a small mouse that wants to go on big adventures like in The Book of Tales the Papa mouse reads them. But in the end she realizes that she doesn't need to have big adventures like the ones in The Book of Tales but her own adventures even if they might only be small ones and that they can come to her in each day.
Cyndi
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bedtime story

My favorite daughter and I have read this book every night for about the last 2-3 weeks. We look forward to it. I appreciate the morals and reverence to God. It's hard to find a book such as this. We have enjoyed this book very much and hope to find more like it.
We give it 5 stars!
Monica Litteral
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is story is an adventure of how aeir mother and father mouse are trying to teach their children important lessons in life, dangers, fun, and all along the way ... reminding them that God watches over His creation.
Erika
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A sweet book read aloud to my 8 year old. We enjoyed reading it together and seeing the main character’a growth and preparation for the adventures to come.
Sharon
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for parents to read with their children. Fun, easy stories with a wide range of lessons built into the stories. I found it to be a quick fun read.
Christie
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was too cute and even caught the attention of my 5 year old who started reading it. You can't beat a story about animals living very human lives.
Sarah Bayless
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is just sweet. My six year old son loved to have it read aloud at bed time.
Jessica A Kramasz
Delightful

My children loved this book, and I enjoyed it too. It is a wonderful bedtime read-aloud. Geraldine's adventures stir the imagination, and the characters are delightful.
Christopher Hall
A young mouse’s adventures

A children’s book that is great for adults as well. I enjoyed reading the adventures of a young mouse and how God often sends help in an unexpected way.
Debbie Phillips
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone - elementary to adult
Wonderful. Lovely story. Endearing characters. Great story. Adventure. Spirituality. Danger. Heroism. Just Superb. Second best book I have read in 2015. Absolutely LOVED it. Recommend it to Everyone!!!

Would be GREAT as a family read aloud.

Lots of wonderful quotes I could put in here. Here are two of my favorites.

"I talked to God, Geraldine said. "But, Mama, he didn't answer."
Mama smiled.
"Why are you smiling? I wanted to thank him for everything looking like a marshmallow and for letting me h
Aileen Stewart
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh My Gosh. Where to start. I received this book in exchange for my honest review, and little did I know how completely I would fall in love with these adventures. I often love many of the books I read, but every now and then a certain book or series will kindle a little fire in my soul with its delicious wonderfulness. The Adventures of Geraldine Woolkins is such a book. I loved the characters. I cherished the descriptions Miss Kaufman used to describe places and things. Words that, although no ...more
Janet Sketchley
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Gentle (yet with moments of adventure), heart-warming chapters... this is a book for reading aloud to preschoolers/early elementary, for older children to read to themselves, and for adults to enjoy as a relaxing bedtime read.

Geraldine and her brother Button are "new" mice, and despite their parents' best teaching, sometimes they learn lessons the hard way. Geraldine longs to be brave, but she's such a small creature... how can she do anything daring? In her adventures, she learns to recognize t
Y.I. Lee
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a totally charming story, I loved it. Perfect for young and old alike...gentle yet exciting. It is so descriptive! So much so, I wanted to be in the Woolkins little house; curled up in front of their pine cone fire, enjoying mama Woolkins homemade soup.
This is a delightful story, filled with life lessons. Perfect to read to a little one at bedtime. I would love to read it to my grandson when he's older.
I can see this becoming a school favourite, a great story to read to a class of childre
Shana Gorian
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful storytelling

Extremely well written, sweet and old-fashioned in the very best of ways, this story reminded me of classics like Pooh in his Hundred Acre Woods, or the children's TV series, Little Bear. Like those stories, this story is not just for youngsters but would interest children of all ages. I could really picture it as an animated film too! A charming autumn and winter adventure.

• Discovering Hope
  • At Legend's End (The Teacup Novellas #4)
  • The Bobbsey Twins on a Houseboat (Bobbsey Twins, #6)
  • Walking with Bilbo
  • Annie's Truth (Touch of Grace, #1)
  • A Patchwork Christmas Collection
  • Christmas Truce
  • It Really Is a Wonderful Life
  • Grow Old With Me (The Quilt Trail Series Book 1)
  • Near To The Heart Of God
  • ভয়ংকর সুন্দর (কাকাবাবু, #1)
  • Ready to Wed (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #39)
  • The Golden Vial (Legends of the Realm, #3)
  • A Christmas Gift for Rose
  • Unfriend Yourself
  • Living With Danger (Dangerverse, #1)
Karin Kaufman grew up devouring murder mysteries, especially of the cozy kind. Give her a mystery, a comfy couch, her sweet dog at her side, and (preferably) a rainy day, and she’s in heaven. She’s the author of the Juniper Grove Cozy Mystery Series, the Smithwell Fairies Cozy Mystery Series, and the Anna Denning Mystery Series. The Witch Tree, the first book in her Anna Denning series, was a fina ...more
“I don't have any big adventures."
"But of course you have big adventures," Papa said. You have adventures of all sorts, all the time."
"Not like Radish in the Book of Tales," Geraldine said, scuffing a toe along the ground. "I could never be like Radish."
"No, you don't have adventures exactly like Radish," Papa said. "But that's because you're not Radish and you must have your own adventures. All creatures must."
"Happy ones?" Geraldine asked.
"In the end, yes. But they won't all seem that way at first. They'll have unexpected twists and turns. You must let them play out to the end, like a story in the Book of Tales. Follow God, speak to him and listen to him, and all tales will be beautiful in their time.”
2 likes