Start by marking “Nightpeople (Darklands, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nightpeople (Darklands, #1)

Nightpeople

(Darklands #1)

I’ve come a long way to get you. You’re special. More than you realise. A lot of people have been suffering for a long time so you might have a chance to live. Some have even died for it.

Saria has grown up in the secluded valley, Ma Lee her only companion and the old Dreamer Gaardi the only visitor. But that changes when Dariand arrives to take her away. Only now does Sari
Published September 1st 2005 by Univ of Queensland Pr

To ask other readers questions about Nightpeople, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightpeople

Cass
Loved this book. I found it in the YA section of the library when I was trolling for some younger fiction. How long has it been hiding there?!?

This is a good quality fantasy/dystopian novel. It was in the young adult section but I really am not sure why. The protagonist is a child but all of her companions are much older.

Both the plot and the world are built slowly and skillfully as the book progresses. It is a pleasant change to read a book of this genre that does not dump everything into the
Allie
Individually, the title or cover alone would have had me interested. But together? I had to read this!

The story was a bit slow and fairly uneventful... well, maybe it just wasn't what I was expecting. I don't usually care for dystopian books, but like I said -- the title and cover grabbed me. Plus it's Australian, and I love Australia. It was good, but it wasn't un-put-down-able. Still, it interested me enough that I've already borrowed the second book.

I have to mention something that annoyed t
Nicole
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First up, Nightpeople was amazing. It was sad, haunting, 'eerily familiar', and it reminded me of what might happen in the future if we don't protect the environment and conserve our energy sources. The story was extremely well written, but the plot was a bit...meh. I pretty much guessed what happened, but there was one unexpected twist in the end about Saria's mother that I wouldn't have guessed.

The characterisation was really, really good. Saria was thoroughly believable, and so was Dariand, a
rivka
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars (It would be 5, but I loathe the "wait, we're just starting!" trick at the end of first books of trilogies. Yeah, yeah, I know. But I'm taking off .5 of a star anyway.)

WOW! Seriously, I knew this book was going to blow me away when I reached page 12 (end of the prologue) and literally had to stop to catch my breath.

This may well be the most original post-apocalyptic story I have ever read. Not to mention breathtakingly powerful.

My only regret is that I didn't also take book #2 with me
Betty
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I generally enjoy a sci fi post apocalyptic novel. Most of the ones I have read have been set in England, so it is a pleasure to read one set in Australia. The Darklands is clearly the desert area near South Australia, and the land has been severely damaged by nuclear testing and mining for Uranium- not that this is ever said directly- we need to work it out from the stories and hints given to us by the characters. It is fast paced, but well written and I recommend it for those who enjoy this ge ...more
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is set in a post-apocalyptic world. Eaton does a wonderful job of restricting the readers point of view so that you have some idea of what might be going on but are still mystified somewhat like the characters you are reading about.

Since I don't have the 2nd book yet I was a little annoyed that there wasn't a little more revelation at the end of this book. Even though this book is almost 400 pages it felt very short.
Anita Oz
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up randomly in an airport wanting a good read, and this is what i got!! A fascinating read, easy, and a great concept. More of a teenage read, but an awesome creative escape!
The story of a future our children's children may encounter, strangely, it seems realistic in a crazy kind of way. It was great to read a story that was based on Australian landscapes, and mostly around Perth too. It made the scene more easy to imagine and even more real for me.
Kat Young
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
May have done a happy dance hen I realised this was set in Australia :P Great si-fi novel, kept me guessing as its one of those books that only tells you what you need to know at the time and everything else is in the dark.
Hasini
May 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Can't give a proper rating, didn't finishhhh
Kate Atkinson
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: loveozya, skimmed
Unfortunately this one didn't make it to the end, just not the right read for me at the moment... while the concepts were a fascinating mix of sci-fi, fantasy and drama, and the setting was hauntingly familiar, I wasn't drawn into the story of Saria - last child of the Darklands. Perhaps will try read again one day, as the author's work had shadows of oppression of indigenous people/environmental destruction, which are important themes to weave into an Australian futuristic novel.
Justine Wolfley
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I had a lot of down time on a trip when reading this and finished in just a few days. Otherwise, I might have felt that it was taking to long to get deep into some of the characters. It did hold my attention as I enjoy apocalyptic dystopian stories, but this one seemed to use a lot of pages repeating itself before getting to the real meat of things. I will probably still read the next book, even though the storyline is a bit predictable.
Kate H
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Probably a 3.5
Saskia
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was inclined to read ‘Nightpeople’, the first novel in Anthony Eaton’s Darklands trilogy, because I would be going to a workshop run by him at the Sydney Writers Festival. To tell you the truth, I hadn’t heard of Anthony Eaton before and wasn’t really sure what to expect from one of his books. I found myself browsing the library and under his name found a variety of books from several different genres, by was ultimately drawn to his fantasy novels.

Nightpeople is set in a dystopic version of wh
Andrew
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
It seems fitting that, after reading an Australian YA book anticipating the end of the world, that I read some post-Apocalyptic YA.

Nightpeople, the first of Tony Eaton's Darklands Trilogy, is set in a desolate wasteland - the Darklands - where the remnants of humanity struggle to survive. Most children are born deformed, with no chance of survival, and those who are born pure are taken away by the mysterious Nightpeople who fly in on their machines when a child is born.

Saria is the last of the D
Helen Stower
Time & Place of the story:

Post-apocalyptic world. A desert environment with distinct boarders and what lies beyond these is unknown. The people left have dispersed into villages which are poverty stricken. Even though it is never fully revealed, the history we learn of the place hints at a nuclear type accident.

Main Character (description, challenges, changes):

Saria – the last of her kind, the final child of the Darklands. throughout the novel She must survive unseen by the Nightpeople and r
Deborah Ideiosepius
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Aficionados of Australian fantasy and dystopia.

Nightpeople hooked me from the start, a first book in a fantasy trilogy that I feel could aklso class as Sci-Fi and definitely as dytopian.

Set in a sparse desert, a small and dying people have obviously lost all modern science and are clearly living in radioactively contaminated areas. There are still technologically advanced people, these are the nightpeople who appear in aircraft to take away any infants born in the arid lands.

There is of course resistance to dying out and some babies are hid
Peter Greenwell
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'd wager that the author of this book is or was a fan of John Wyndham's The Chrysalids. That aside, it takes a little time to get going and when the book is in motion, it's an engrossing and uneven ride. This story promises so much and does it continue the good work it started in the next two books? Read my reviews and find out.
Janet Meade
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a good "first of the trilogy" book. Engaging with a touch of mystery, I had to read the next book to find out what happened. I was pleased when the final book in the trilogy was less predictable.
Erin
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
really great sci-fi/fantasy by an Australian author
Ennis Macleod
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Set in Australia, an exploration of the postapocalyptic world which results after the haves retreat to 'sky towers'and lose their humanity. Bk 2
Lore
Oct 31, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: can-t-finnish
so far so good.

I tried to like it. I really did. I could not finnish it. I still have it for now but I can't seem to pick it up.
Trufflebum
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned
Sci-fi type of book, set in a future Australia. Based on a girl who has psychic abilities. Good read ^^
Morinda
Lucy
Jul 15, 2011
Jess
Dec 31, 2017
  • The Wicked Wood (Tales from the Tower, #2)
  • Day Boy
  • Heart of Gold (The Laws of Magic, #2)
  • The Forest at the Edge of the World (Forest at the Edge, #1)
  • Hear Me Roar
  • Squid's Grief
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
  • All Wrapped Up
  • Welcome To Orphancorp (Orphancorp, #1)
  • Riding the Black Cockatoo
  • Masters of Reality: The Gathering (The Ancient Future, #3)
  • This Way to the End Times: Classic Tales of the Apocalypse
  • One Small Step: An Anthology of Discoveries
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • Lotus Blue
  • Nylon Angel (Parrish Plessis, #1)
  • The Never Never Land
  • Nadya
Born in Papua New Guinea in 1972, ANTHONY EATON spent an idyllic childhood growing up in the Perth hills, and on the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

He attended High School and University in Perth, and studied a plethora of subjects before settling on a career in Teaching. He worked at Trinity College in Perth as a Literature and Drama teacher for eight years, during which time his first novel, 'The Darkn

Darklands (3 books)
  • Skyfall (Darklands, #2)
  • Daywards (Darklands, #3)