Start by marking “My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 (My Hero Academia, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 (My Hero Academia, #1)

My Hero Academia, Vol. 1

(My Hero Academia #1)

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  42,501 ratings  ·  1,274 reviews
What would the world be like if 80 percent of the population manifested superpowers called “Quirks” at age four? Heroes and villains would be battling it out everywhere! Being a hero would mean learning to use your power, but where would you go to study? The Hero Academy of course! But what would you do if you were one of the 20 percent who were born Quirkless?

Middle schoo
Published August 4th 2015 by VIZ Media LLC (first published November 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about My Hero Academia, Vol. 1, please sign up.

·  42,501 ratings  ·  1,274 reviews

Start your review of My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 (My Hero Academia, #1)
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Finished my re-read for the Manga Monday Book Club! Can't wait to discuss it. :D
Nick
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a decent intro to a great series I hope. Deku is definitely a hero to be remembered.
jv poore
I plucked this tiny tome off of several students' Want-to-Read shelves and it is first book I've read that actually included instructions on how to read it---insofar as you read from right to left, beginning in the upper right-hand corner. Actions, sound effects & word bubbles in proper Japanese order- are completely reversed from the English order.

It was a bit trickier than I expected at first (and I realized that "my" high school students are much better at this than I am) but then it just cl
Sam Quixote
Mar 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kids with superpowers go to superhero school to be taught by existing superheroes how to be superheroes. So it’s the X-Men? Yup. Except way shittier! And that’s My Hero Academia! Boo! I give it an F!

It really is that derivative, at least going by this first volume. Creator/writer/artist Kohei Horikoshi basically rips off the X-Men. He calls mutations/superpowers “quirks” in a feeble attempt to make it seem less blatant but that’s about the only thing different he brings to the table.

This first
Raeleen Lemay
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga, own
*3.5/5*

This is a really fun manga, but I think it's better experienced as an anime! I did watch the anime before reading this so that could have affected my enjoyment, but I think the action and the humor just come across more naturally on screen. I don't think I'll continue reading this series, but if you haven't seen the anime I'd definitely recommend picking this up!
Jokoloyo
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Is it only in my imagination, or there is tendency of Japanese mangaka to create superhero genre manga? After One Piece that in borderline with pirates with super powers theme, then there are manga such as ワンパンマン 1 Wanpanman 1 , 斉木楠雄のΨ難 1 Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan 1 , and 文豪ストレイドッグス 1 Bungō Stray Dogs 1 .

From the first volume, what I could say, it is a "from zero-to-hero" theme in a high school that specialized to educate future super heroes, a.k.a. Xavier school for Japanese kids. And to make the pl
Shannon
I don't normally read shounen (mostly because omg some of them are the longest series ever) but this one is relatively new so it's like there's 167 volumes out. Yet.

I personally love the character designs, but mostly just for the students. The pro heroes are typically over-the-top with crazy costumes and even crazier hair styles. The contrast between the students and the foes really helps with distinguishing who is who.

The story is what you'd expect from a shounen manga: the main character is so
Mari
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novels

Despite all the manga I've racked up that is on my TBR, someone recommended this to me a couple of days ago and I read it all in one day. I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great introduction to the series. I can say that I know I'm prime audience because I love hero stories. LOVE. While this is of course tasked with some of the leg-work of the introduction and while I did lose myself in the action (and how it was drawn) a few times, I thought the overall experience was worthy of a 4-star
Brigid ✩
Ok so I haven't read manga since I was like 12 (and even then I never delved into it too much) but recently a lot of my friends have gotten into this series (and the anime) and I thought it looked cool so I was like "sure why not." And!! Damn I really enjoyed this and ended up reading the whole first volume in one sitting, whoops.

Thoughts:

- I really like the premise & world-building. Obviously the whole superhero/superpowers thing has been done many times before, but this takes an interesting sp
Sophie Crane
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sure to be the next big thing in the Shonen Jump world, MHA is already gaining enough momentum to be mentioned in the same discussions as One Piece or Naruto. The story is perfect for non-Japanese audiences as well as it has created a world which is both familiar for superhero fans while offering something very new and refreshing. It engages the audience as you feel for the main character Deku as he faces many trials and tribulations with a healthy dose of triumph. The plethora of characters are ...more
Chad
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I decided to check some Manga out and this is what was recommended to me. I've never been able to get into Manga due to the whole reading backwards thing. I still don't get why with today's technology they don't just flip the art around and present this as a normal graphic novel for Western audiences, but I digress.

The story is about one of a very few young people who are born without "quirks" or superpowers. All he desires is to help people. Along comes the most famous super hero in the city "A
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2020
Review to come later because internet ;_;
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
I've been watching the anime for years now and decided that I can't wait for the anime to catch up with the manga anymore! I really want to know what happens, so I'm reading the manga from the beginning. 👀 But reading this is so nostalgic - I had been meaning to re-watch the anime from the beginning, but rediscovering the story in manga-form has been a cool experience!
Victoria ♡
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-manga
I'm sliiiiiiightly obsessed with this series! I just started the show and I'm so excited to read the manga along with it! It's just so amazing!
Briar's Reviews
I saw My Hero Academic pop up into my feed years ago and I was honestly curious about it. I heard a lot of people talk it up, but I never was able to find it in my book travel adventures. Then, lucky my discovered NetGalley (for the second time) and located this little gem! I was so pumped to finally be able to pick this up since I love manga and superheroes.

In this somewhat dystopian world, almost all of the population have super powers. These powers, known as "quirks" can be managed and contro
Sophia
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have done this review a little differently. Instead of reviewing the volume as a whole, I have reviewed the individual issues. Please see my reviews as follows;
Issue 1 - The introduction to the world, the people and the powers. Mangas always confuse me a little but by the end, I understood what was happening and enjoyed it! I am excited to know more about this world and about the main characters!
Issue 2 - So begins the long trek for Izuku to become a hero! I liked that Izuku worked for his str
Joshua Lester (Lord of Books)
Nota bene: First ever manga that I've read. Such a heroic story that talks about how to accomplish dreams no matter the circumtances that we are faced against. Must read.

4.5 stars.
Petros
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My Hero Academia (MHA) is a very relatable story for anyone with a loser mentality, at an era when a large portion of people reading manga suffer from that. It doesn’t do something out of the ordinary, and certainly does not deconstruct everything we know about shonen stories, as many insist. It is just helping the reader cope with his anxieties by giving him a story where the loser gets all the fame and glory. Basically, it’s just well-presented empowerment fantasy; it doesn’t have much of a pl ...more
Tilly
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, I think it was a decent intro to this manga series, although I am not as hooked as some other people right now. I find the concept really interesting and the art style is also quite good but there were just not as many exciting events in this first volume as I hoped. Especially the backstory of the protagonist was a bit rushed in my opinion, although I found him a likable character in general and I think that he has a lot of potential. There are also some interesting side-characters int ...more
RG
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Not the most overly original concept or story. I was hoping for more to build off the basis however it was pretty standard and what youd expect. Some will love it
Sally ☾

Series: currently has 26 volumes
Current arc: depression
Me: ಥ_ಥ

---

Izuku and Shouto Todoroki are my precious sons that deserve all of the happiness in the world.

(and okay, fine, Kacchan is growing on me, what an absolute tsundere)

Update | July 26, 2018:

Volume 11 may be my favorite so far. It was so. damn. good. All Might is a true hero. I cannot wait for Izuku to become not a symbol of peace
Skjam!
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen superhero fans, Silver & Bronze age fans
Recommended to Skjam! by: TV Tropes
Izuku Midoriya’s dream is to become a superhero, like his idol All Might. The problem with that idea is that Midoriya belongs to the minority of people on his world who were born without a Quirk, a superpower of some kind. His former friend Katsuki Bakugo, who has a powerful Quirk and is naturally gifted, rubs this in at every opportunity, calling Midoriya “Deku” (no good qualities.) Midoriya has been training hard, but even when he meets his idol, he’s told that there’s no way he can become a s ...more
Andrea
My tumblr feed has basically been filled with this for the last year (mainly Bakugo/Kirishima fanart), so I finally picked it up to see what it was like. Only the first ten volumes are available for purchase in English (a little over half of what's been written so far).

The focus of the series is how to deal with super powers. This is a world where the majority of the population have some form of power, and various rules (licensing) have been set up for legal exercise of these powers (as superher
Selena
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Superhero fans, Tiger & Bunny fans
This reminds me of Tiger & Bunny. A lot. If the timelines would match up, then I'd say that this could be a far-flung future of the T&B universe. That's the kind of series this is judging by the first volume.

In this world, ~80% of the population are born with "quirks," super human abilities that may or may not make sense. Those with hero-worth quirks work to go to U.A., a school for super heroes in training. Izuku "Deku" Midoriya was one of the unlucky few born without quirks. Despite this, he s
Will Robinson Jr.
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Amazing! This is the first volume in what is sure to be a winning manga series. It is very surprising that we haven't got a Japanese take on the western superhero. Kohei has created a unique world and a great introduction to the quirky powers of My Hero Academia or Hero Academy as many fans are calling it. We basically follow middle school kid Izuku who dreams of becoming a superhero even though he doesn't have a superpower or what the people call a "quirk". In a chance meeting with the celebrat ...more
Solseit
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review - I did not expect to start reviewing manga yet this is a lot of fun and it deserves a lot of attention!

Just lovely.

In a world where most of the people have abilities, wanting to be a hero is a possible carrier. Yet, what happens when you are part of the minority without powers? How can you become a hero?

Well, will power is the answer - and help from a person who will become your hidden mentor.
The drawings are quite interesting, the ability
Yesy (The Book Vagrant)
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-in-books, manga
Okay, well this is not what I thought it'd be at all, but I'm definitely continuing on with the series.
MrsNightRead
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My babies look so good in manga form TT___TT
Julie
I just binge watched the show so now I gotta go back and read all the manga. It's so much fun! I love all the weird "quirks"/superpowers everyone has and I love Deku. ❤️
Garan
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
fuuuuuuuuck this was so good. i love bakugo.
MHA NEXT GENERATI...: NEXT GENERATION CHARACTERS (You make your character bio here) 10 4 Jul 07, 2020 04:47PM
MHA SHINKAMI (Shi...: CHAT 4 2 Jun 25, 2020 06:04PM
MHA NEXT GENERATI...: NEXT GENERATION ROLE PLAY 1 2 Jun 25, 2020 05:52PM
MHA SHIP FANDOM: TodoDeku (Todoroki x Deku) Chat 1 1 Jun 25, 2020 05:22PM
MHA SHIP FANDOM: KiriBaku (Kirishima x Bakugo) Chat 1 1 Jun 25, 2020 05:22PM
MHA SHIP FANDOM: BakuDeku (Bakugo x Deku) Chat 1 1 Jun 25, 2020 05:22PM
MHA SHIP FANDOM: ShinKami (Shinso x Denki) Chat 1 1 Jun 25, 2020 05:20PM

• 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1]
  • Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)
  • ハイキュー!! 1 日向と影山 [Haikyū!! 1 Hinata to Kageyama]
  • Tokyo Ghoul, Tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
  • ワンパンマン 9 [Wanpanman 9] (Onepunch-Man, #9)
  • ワンパンマン 1 [Wanpanman 1] (Onepunch-Man, #1)
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • One Piece, Volume 1: Romance Dawn
  • Bleach, Volume 01
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1  (Blue Exorcist, #1)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1)
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
  • ハイキュー!! 4 ライバル [Haikyū!! 4 Rival]
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01 (Hunter x Hunter, #1)
HORIKOSHI Kouhei
Name (in native language): 堀越耕平
Associated Names:
Kouhei Horikoshi

Born 1986 in the prefecture Aichi, Horikoshi first attracted attention in the second half of 2006 when he entered Shueisha's 72th Tezuka Award for Newcomers with his one shot "Nukegara" and made it to the final six, where he gained himself an "Honorable Mention".
Various short stories in Shueisha's Akamaru JUMP followed

My Hero Academia (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 2 [Boku No Hero Academia 2] (My Hero Academia, #2)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 3 [Boku No Hero Academia 3] (My Hero Academia, #3)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 4 [Boku No Hero Academia 4] (My Hero Academia, #4)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 5 [Boku No Hero Academia 5] (My Hero Academia, #5)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 6 [Boku No Hero Academia 6] (My Hero Academia, #6)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 7 [Boku No Hero Academia 7] (My Hero Academia, #7)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 8 [Boku No Hero Academia 8] (My Hero Academia, #8)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 9 [Boku No Hero Academia 9] (My Hero Academia, #9)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 10 [Boku No Hero Academia 10] (My Hero Academia, #10)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 11 [Boku No Hero Academia 11] (My Hero Academia, #11)