Start by marking “I Am Death (Robert Hunter, #7)” as Want to Read:
I Am Death (Robert Hunter, #7)

I Am Death

(Robert Hunter #7)

AN EVIL MIND was Chris Carters's most acclaimed novel to date, described by the Daily mail as: 'A chilling, compulsive portrait of a psychopath, and proves that Carter is now in the Jeffrey Deaver class.' It spent three weeks in the Sunday Timestop ten and received brillant reviews and sales.

This terrifying new standalone thriller reunites Hunter and Garcia in their most
Audiobook, 10 pages
Published July 30th 2015 by Simon Schuster Audio UK

To ask other readers questions about I Am Death, please sign up.
Gozde No it won't. He has his new book, 'The Caller' (#8) that will be released in the UK in February 2017:)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alison
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of I Am Death (Robert Hunter, #7)
Barbie
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My thoughts in a nutshell
I love Chris Carter. He is my absolute favorite crime writer. This was the first time when I was able to figure out how his book will end. I’m very disappointed with it.

What impressed me
The series' strongest point is the characters. The two main detectives Robert Hunter and Carlos Garcia.
I adored Hunter. He is the love of my life. :D I love the dynamic between the two cops. They worked together perfectly.
They analyzed the whole situation and thought about it. We are
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
MIND-BLOWING! That's the only way to describe the latest piece of brilliance from the pen of Chris Carter. I Am Death features the same two popular Detectives from the Violent Crimes Unit, Hunter and Garcia BUT this is pitched as a stand alone novel.The two come back together to seek out one of the most sadistic and lethal serial killers they have come up against yet.

All of Chris's books are VERY graphic on the torture, sadism, abduction and kill scenes. So if you are not up for that, walk away.
Linda Strong
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LAPD’s Ultra Violent Crimes Unit lead detective, Robert Hunter, races to stop a serial killer whose past secrets rival those of Hunter’s himself.

WOW! DOUBLE WOW! This author scares me! I have read every one of the Robert Hunter series, and it seems that each serial killer tops the last. Each is brutal, sadistic, fiendish, cold-blooded, vicious, cruel, barbarous.. but the serial killer in this book is even worse.

If blood and guts, torture bother you, or the sadistic treatment of a child or woman
Emma
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review:

Damn that was unexpected.

Damn that inappropriate use of a certain power tool.

My complaints:

Do we need the repetition about the characters' backgrounds/abilities etc etc? I know new readers need a bit of that, but can we at least have new ways of describing them? Plus, since the perfection of Robert Hunter grates on me a little (nobody is that brilliant at bloody everything), I prefer not to be reminded, and therefore annoyed, in every book.

Still, these are such minor things and I lov
Mandy White
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Wow!! This series just keeps getting better!! Gruesome deaths and clever stories.. gotta love it.
Mort
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS

I didn’t know anything about Chris Carter – don’t ask me how this happened – and got I Am Death as a birthday present. The “About the author” part tickled me – he does sound like an interesting character.
The chapters are short, which makes it a fast and easy read.
The opening chapter was excellent!
About a hundred pages into the book, my wife asked what my thoughts were so far and, to be totally honest, I told her that it feels like he drags some things out a little too much. There was some
Judy D Collins
Mastermind Chris Carter returns following An Evil Mind with I AM DEATH –a terrifying, dark, intense, and twisted psychological crime thriller, featuring Robert Hunter front and center in a suspense cat-and-mouse "mind-blowing" chase.

For those who enjoy twisty, smart, edgy, intelligent, gruesome, and very dark psycho-thrillers!

Detective Robert Hunter of the LAPD Robbery Homicide Division grew up as an only child to working class parents in an underprivileged neighborhood of South Los Angele
Book Addict Shaun
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who reads my blog will probably know that I am a huge Chris Carter fan. I Am Death was one of my most anticipated reads of 2015. I finished I Am Death at 3 a.m. one Saturday morning and it left me reeling. I would have to say that Chris is probably now my favourite crime fiction author of all time, and I firmly believe that he is just in a league of his own. If anybody can recommend me similar authors with books released in the last ten years, please do!

At the time of writing this review
Matt
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Carter offers readers another chance to see Detective Robert Hunter at work, crossing paths with the most sadistic killers LA has to offer. When a mutilated body turns up next to LAX, Hunter and his partner, Carlos Garcia, are sent to investigate. Little do they realise, but the signs of torture and sexual assault are the least intriguing pieces of the puzzle. A note lodged in the woman's throat introduces the Ultra Violent Crimes detectives to their latest serial killer, who refers to himself a ...more
Ami

First thing first ... Chris Carter has become one my auto-read mystery/suspense authors for the past few years. His works entertain me. Period. Carter writes his chapter with a bait to open the next one immediately, keeps the pace fast, throws red herrings here and there, and lets our detectives struggle to find clues before the next body comes. They're not for the squeamish though; his description of the crime is vivid. His murder scenes are of often very bloody, the victims suffered f
Rosie
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW! What a book, I actually feel exhausted from all the suspense! I can't believe I have never read a book by Chris Carter before and this is the seventh book in the Detective Robert Hunter series.

'I Am Death' begins with Hunter and his partner, Detective Carlos Garcia, returning from a two week break. They are immediately thrown into investigating a horrendous case; a serial killer is abducting women and murdering them in horrific ways. Complicating the investigation is how the serial killer m
Lukasz
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
I like Chris Carter books. I've discovered them last year and read all of them in two weaks time. Mind-blowing, I thought. Even though the murders were described in all bloody detail, often extreme and butcherly, there was intriguing plot and Robert Hunter trying to get into someone else's mind.

I was hooked.

And I was waiting for this one impatiently. I've just finished it and, well, I'm rather disappointed. There's a lot of gore, the plot and final twist is similar to his earlier books. I start
Christine
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes only a desperately dark, heart-stopping psychopath will do. Fortunately there is Chris Carter for all our bookish evil serial killer needs. The latest Chris Carter is ‘I am Death’, featuring his super intelligent and rather lovely Detective Robert Hunter. This is the seventh in the series. This was just what I needed!

Robert Hunter works for the Ultra Violent Unit, in the LAPD, with his sidekick Garcia. He is soon on the case of a violent, sadistic killer at work in the city. Robert is
CL
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Robert Hunter and his partner are in search of a killer who has left no clues and can pass thru life as virtually invisible. He can disguise himself and think quickly on his feet to remain free. He is a gruesome killer and each murder is different. Then the killer starts sending letters and goes to Robert Hunter's apartment and leaves Robert a letter addressed to him. Each is signed with " I Am Death". Now it is almost as if the killer is taunting Hunter and he may be closing in on his real iden ...more
Helga
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, crime
Another messy, twisty and disgustingly good book from Chris Carter!
Sharon Mccall
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read Chris Carter's Detective Robert Hunter series of books you do not know what you are missing. These books have gotten better and better with each one that is published and I can only wait to see how Carter tops this one.

In I AM DEATH we meet an even more gruesome murderer than we have come across in any of the cases Hunter has previously come across as lead detective of the LAPD UV team. Hunter and his partner Garcia are in a fight against time as the killer they are tracing g
Amanda Jane
This is the first book I have read of Chris Carter's but it certainly won't be my last. This is No.7 in the Robert Hunter series but it is released as a stand alone novel.

Interestingly, at college the author Carter studied Psychology specialising in Criminal Behaviour, which in turn led to him working as a Criminal Psychologist for several years. His writing certainly reflects his experience in this field.

The story surrounds the intellectually gifted Detective Robert Hunter who heads up the LAPD
Yellagirlgc
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Robert Hunter is the lead detective of the Los Angeles Ultra Violent Crimes unit. His partner Carlos Garcia is the perfect wingman. The case their investigating starts with an abduction but it goes SO many other places.
The interesting facts thrown in throughout the book were huge bonuses. You connect with everyone including the victims. It was all written so masterfully I'm a little scared of Chris Carter. Lol. I read this not wanting it to end and anxious to discover each twist within the twi
Nadia
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, best-of-2018
I did not expect this book to be so good! I was hooked from the very beginning and actually stayed up reading into early morning hours as I could not put the book down.
This was my first Chris Carter book and despite it being #7 in the series, I did not feel I missed anything by skipping the earlier books. I will now, however, definitely look for more Robert Hunter books. This was definitely one of the best crime novels I've ever read and would highly recommend it!!
Siobhan
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris Carter guaranteed himself a fan as soon as I finished reading the first Robert Hunter book. I knew without a doubt that the five star introduction to the series was a great promise of what was to come. I can safely say that I have not been disappointed by any of the Robert Hunter books. I have enjoyed some more than others, but they have all been great reads.

I Am Death is the seventh Robert Hunter book, and it is as great as the rest of them. Whilst it is not my favourite (that award goes
Gary
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 7th book in the Robert Hunter series by the talented Chris Carter.
I received a copy of the soon to be released novel off Net Galley and what a great read. As per usual Chris Carter's books aren't for the faint-hearted with the descriptive and often gruesome crimes but they are excellent reads that captivate and thrill the reader.
I love his writing style which hooks me and tantalises me with the twists and turns right to the end.
An excellent read!
Irene
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, danish, arc-read, 2016
I've never been so close to figuring it all out before, yay! This book...so gross. It might even be Carter's best one yet.
Paul
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thrillers
I am Death – Brilliant Thriller

I am Death, is the brilliant new thriller from Chris Carter, and the seventh in the Robert Hunter series which grabs you by the throat from the start. The great thing about this series is that this like the previous books in the series can be read as standalone thriller, and will be enjoyed just as much. The book comes with enough detail about Robert Hunter and his partner Carlos Garcia.

The premise is simple a woman goes missing and then turns up murdered her body
Lady*M

Perhaps I wasn't in the proper mood or perhaps the previous novel (An Evil Mind) was just that good, but I Am Death didn't quite give me the same thrill as a couple of previous books.

Don't get me wrong, Chris Carter knows his stuff and the mistakes of his early books have completely been eliminated. Robert Hunter and Carlos Garcia are fully realized, complex characters. The case is intriguing and gory as always. The perpetrator is clever and careful and a decent challenge to our heroes
Mark
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enter Robert Hunter who has just returned from a 14 day mandatory vacation which he should have spend in Hawaii but assisted the FBI with tracking down a serial killer. His Partner Garcia drops the bombshell on him that he is leaving the department to take a job in San Francisco with the fraud squad for a safer life and better hours.

However read about the next batch of gruesome murders that puts both men right back to work hunting a man that is adept at killing in the most horrible ways.

Read abo
Fiction Addition Angela
OMG vicious, cruel, barbaric, sadistic, cold blooded the serial killer in this book is hard core and isn’t for the faint hearted.
This was excellent reading from the first chapter until the last. Clever story that unravels. Young women are being captured, tortured and murdered. The killer then leaves the message I am death wrote in blood. I highly recommend this book Chris Carter you’ve gone to the top of my thriller read list.
Carrie
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'll never be able to look at an orbital sander in the same way ever again.
Lemniscat
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly disturbing, macabre, sadistic, suspenseful and just-the-way-in-which-a-crime-novel-should-be-written.

It seems that Chris Carter only gets better!
Tracy Fenton
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 7th book in the Robert Hunter series and whilst it can be read as a standalone, in my opinion, why would you when there are 6 brilliant books to devour before you get to this one?

There isn't much I can add to this review except each book gets better than the previous and each serial killer gets sicker and more gruesome.  I read most of this book with my face scrunched up in disgust at the horrific and twisted murders and believe me it takes a LOT to make me cringe.

So if you like fast
Goodreads Librari...: Request to Add Cover 2 18 Apr 08, 2015 06:00AM

• Todesfrist (Maarten S. Sneijder, #1)
  • Furet/værbitt (Selma Falck, #2)
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1)
  • American Devil (Tom Harper & Denise Levene #1)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Todesurteil (Maarten S. Sneijder, #2)
  • 88 Killer (Tom Harper & Denise Levene #2)
  • Abandoned (Smoky Barrett #4)
  • Back to Frank Black: A Return to Chris Carter's Millennium
  • Buried Alive (Carson Ryder, #7)
  • The Curator (Washington Poe, #3)
  • Die Stille vor dem Tod (Smoky Barrett, #5)
  • På date med en morder
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • The Soul Collectors (Darby McCormick #4)
  • Marta schläft

Biographies can be an absolute drag, so I won’t bore anyone with a long life story.

I was born in Brasilia, Brazil where I spent my childhood and teenage years. After graduating from high school, I moved to the USA where I studied psychology with specialization in criminal b

Robert Hunter (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Crucifix Killer (Robert Hunter, #1)
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • The Night Stalker (Robert Hunter, #3)
  • The Death Sculptor (Robert Hunter, #4)
  • One by One (Robert Hunter, #5)
  • An Evil Mind (Robert Hunter, #6)
  • The Caller (Robert Hunter, #8)
  • Gallery of the Dead (Robert Hunter, #9)
  • Hunting Evil (Robert Hunter, #10)
  • Written in Blood (Robert Hunter, #11)