Start by marking “Pup” as Want to Read:
Pup

Pup

This is not the story of a hero.

So begins the story of one of the most distinctive heroes you'll ever meet. Drafted into a war he barely comprehends with no taste for combat, Pup will find himself thrust into the very center of the conflict. How he affects that conflict, and how this changes him and everyone around him, is the soul of this utterly unique war story.

Equal pa
Published June 16th 2015 by Story Plant, The

To ask other readers questions about Pup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pup

Karen Germain
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ever read so many books that you lose track?

About a month ago, I saw Christopher Slater's debut novel, Pup, on my Kindle and I started reading it. It grabbed me immediately, but I also had zero recollection of having requested it from NetGalley. It turns out that I didn't request it. I had requested a different book published by The Story Plant, but there was a mix-up with the downloads on Netgalley. I wrote to both NetGalley and The Story Plant to resolve the issue.

I received a very kind email
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Sometimes a great novel can be summed by the extraordinary gift of storytelling by a talented writer. One that simply makes you forget your reading a book, but makes you feel like you stepped into real life. For me, that is simply, Christopher Slater and his novel, PUP: A Novel of Accidental Heroism. He was the winner of the authors first novel contest and after reading this book, you'll know with certainty why it was chosen.

I can say it almost feels like a Forrest Gump story, of a young man PU
Katy Noyes
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adorable puppy of a protagonist - naive, clumsy yet smart as a whippet!

In a world where the Second Korean War is a reality, Pup is drafted to the infantry. He may be of serviceable age, but he's not quite what the army is looking for... Witness what happens when he leaves his car keys in his pocket when being transported overseas... Giggle at the method he uses to dispose of a photograph... And just don't try his chat-up lines...

This is a narrator that you instantly connect with - a little like
Thomas Killion
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pup is a great read written like a comedy movie that would have you laughing for the entire show.

Pros: Pup is written in a way that invites you into his life as a guest you may not understand why he does what he does (and sometimes Pup doesn’t either) but he does his best to make you understand. The book develops the characters well from Pup himself to the mysterious Boom, you will see how they grow throughout the story to become friends who would risk life and limb for each other. The author mi
Beth Cutwright
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Pup. It was clever, unique, hilarious and sorrowful! I thought Pup might remind of Gomer Pyle, but it never did. Rather I found myself feeling like his mother, saddened by a fact that he would no longer be my boy, but a man when he returned home.

I loved that the writing seemed self depricating and very tongue in cheek. My favorite part was the airport scene when he first left for Korea. The author depicted a gangly, awkward teenager who seemed to do everything i
Karen
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought that the humour was a bit juvenile at first and I was missing being captivated by a story until halfway through
Then I was gripped and found some real laugh out loud moments.
Pup is a self depreciating character that reminds me of Forest Gump in lots of ways
If you like trying a different type of book then I highly recommend Pup
Scott
Mar 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Sorry, did not like it. Was this for teens?
Rebecca