Start by marking “Simon's Cat Off to the Vet . . . and Other Cat-astrophes (Simon's Cat, #5)” as Want to Read:
Simon's Cat Off to the Vet . . . and Other Cat-astrophes (Simon's Cat, #5)

Simon's Cat Off to the Vet . . . and Other Cat-astrophes

(Simon's Cat #5)

"Cat lovers will adore this and will nod in recognition of real-life cat behavior; cartoon fans will delight in Tofield's graceful skill in capturing the slinkiness, stealth, and self-absorption of our feline masters."—Publishers Weekly on Simon's Cat vs. the World

"Fans are in for a treat as favorite characters, as well as new faces, run amok in a world full of surprises."
Published October 29th 2015 by Akashic Books (first published October 6th 2015)

Start your review of Simon's Cat Off to the Vet . . . and Other Cat-astrophes (Simon's Cat, #5)
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I read this book, ironically, with my cat lying on my chest. Also, I had to read the book on my iPhone since I couldn't read on my iPad because Caesar isn't a small kitten anymore. He is a big cat, and it's really hard to try to hold a book or an iPad while he is lying on my chest. There is just no way one can read comfortable with him lying there, so iPhone it is.

Anyway, as you understand by now I have a cat so I find Simon's Cat Off to the Vet . . . and Other Cat-astrophes really charming to r
Rossy
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Made me smile A LOT!
Cute, funny, and ideal for cat lovers!
Juli
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone who lives with a cat faces similar challenges. It's impossible to put sheets on a bed without the cat jumping right into the middle. Putting a cat into a carrier to go to the vet is impossible....it's like they know what's being planned. Cats drag all sorts of dead animals onto the porch. When the litter box is scooped and clean, it takes every cat in the house about six seconds to come get it dirty again. This collection pokes fun at these little shared kitty moments with the usual cut ...more
Andrew
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah Simons cat returns to form after the previous instalment changed format and appearance. I have been a fan of the exploits of Simons cat ever since it first appeared all those years ago. It has now turned in to somewhat of a celebrity all of its own with merchandise and animated shorts to prove it.

The book really follows the humorous and rather disastrous exploits of said cat (and its young apprentice) in a series of cartoons. Although stylised I am sure many a cat owner will recognised the m
Yvonne
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the Simon’s Cat books. Okay, so I'm a cat lover...not a big secret :)  Of course I'm going to be a Simon fan.  The drawings make me laugh and, in their own way, are quite realistic when dealing with a cat. Anyone with a cat can identify with them, especially the ones in this book showing the trip to the vet. I’ve had my own adventures with my cats going to the vet. Not an event I ever look forward to. There’s also a bathroom drawing that had me nodding my head in agreement.  Too funny and ...more
Justine
In love with these cats and their mischieves! I often recognise my own cat!
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Simon's Cat has been a beloved series for our family, adults and kids alike, since we first found it on the web. We've purchased every book and enjoyed them greatly; poor put upon cat owner Simon, his crafty cat, an energetic kitten, and plenty of dogs, hedgehogs, cranky neighbors, and diabolical birds. It makes for an infectious mix never needing words to convey the humor.

In this volume, Simon's cat battles the vet,
Sam
This really is a rather amusing collection of cartoons and illustrations that show just how traumatic life can be for a cat and how they like to share this trauma with their humans. The main story centers around a visit to the vet's, which doesn't go well at all, but there are plenty of other scenarios and situations that Simon's cat finds himself in that he isn't totally happy with. An entertaining read for a quite evening on the sofa.
Jennifer B.
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't fully understand what all of these wordless cartoons were trying to say, but cute overall.
Betsy Cutler
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too cute
 ~Geektastic~
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Simon's Cat fans, cat fans, cats

(I received an ARC of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss, in exchange for an honest review)

Simon’s Cat began life as a series of animated shorts on Youtube, and I’ve watched quite a few of them, but this is my first encounter with a book version.

Simon’s Cat: Off to the Vet…and Other Cat-astrophes is a series of wordless comics about a youngish, single male cat owner and his sassy, spoiled cat. There are no sarcastic remarks- and no lasagna- but it is certainly the spiritual offspring of
April
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Simon's Cat: Off to the Vet, and Other Cat-astrophes
Tofield, Simon
Akashic Books
2015

An Librarything Early Reviewers Book.
I am a huge fan of the Simon's Cat videos, so I knew I would enjoy this book. This is a collection of comic strips revolving around life with a cat. If you have ever loved a cat, you can relate to the craziness that is Simon's Cat. The trip to the vet starts about halfway through the book and would work well as one of Simon's video cartoons.
While I enjoyed the book, I think Mr
Logan
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
No words, just pictures, and that's all you really need. Great fun figuring out what is going on and has been really nice to share with the kids, who think the cat is both fascinating and silly.
Leandro Guimarães
Cute.
Tina
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the "old" Simon's Cat - the Simon's Cat i love

I'm really happy that hes back.
Soho_Black
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, owned-books
As a huge Simon’s Cat fan, when he announced the crowdfunding campaign to make the “Off to the Vet” film, my wife was keen to be involved. As part of her donation, she was sent an accompanying book “Off to the Vet – and Other Cat-astrophes”, which has subsequently been made available for general sale, although the donation copies also came signed and with some collector’s cards which aren’t generally available with a purchased copy.

What makes this book different from the other Simon’s Cat books
Claudia
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a2020, humor, ebook-borrow
If you love cats, have a cat or have friends that have cats, this is an amusing view into the life of a human owned by a cat via cartoons and short videos by Simon Tofield, a British cartoonist.

The cat - who I don't believe readers/watchers ever learn his name - is a stubborn, sometimes clumsy cat who focuses on getting his owner to feed him. In this book, his encounters trying to convince birds at the feeder to get into his mouth, interactions with the next-door neighbor and of course, the vet.
SaberSnail
I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer's program.

I've been a past fan of the Simon's Cat videos, but had not yet seen one of the books, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect in the transition from video to print. In a move that (in retrospect) makes perfect sense, the book has no words at all, it's just a series of pictures. Some are tightly connected, following a storyline of the cat's visit to the vet, and some are more loosely connected. The pictures work surprisingly we
Kate
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember loving to read the Garfield comic books when I was growing up, so the fact that as a 40-something year old I enjoyed reading this Simon's Cat book should come as no surprise. I've been a fan of the animated web series for a while, and seeing the stories told in 'still' format was different, but in a good way. It was nice to see Simon's attention to detail in the drawings and the way the stories were encapsulated in and of themselves, but yet ended up as a cohesive whole as well.
3.5 st
Thilini
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
For a book that has no words, Simon's Cat is a riveting read! The adorable antics of the cat and his friends would leave any cat lover in stitches (and I'm sure people who aren't find of cats could also enjoy this). The beautiful illustrations with such minute details creates an immersive experience that you wouldn't want to leave until you've reached the end of the book. I'll definitely be re-reading this very soon, to catch details I missed the first time around.
Emmy Williams
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cute little book. It combines a lot of things I love art illustration and cats. I picked it up from the library and I enjoyed it a lot. I laughed several times. Plus it was just plain cute.
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
One word: adorable. And I'm a dog person. These just get cuter and cuter.
Lily Pierce
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cuteness overload.
Heather
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An adorable "read". Real quick read. Even though there were no words it was clear what was happening from the drawings. Very cute and funny!!!
Taaya
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like Simon‘s cat, but the pictures getting more and more ... well, incomplete. The stills that aren’t part of a strip are definitely in need to be part of one to really understand them.
Airotsihraad
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
Just for cat owners and lovers!
Elliot Richards
Mildly entertaining, I think the stories work best in animated form.
Diana
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute comic. Many of the things Simon's cat does remind me of things my own cats do. I wish my library had more of this author's books.
Pop Bop
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
There Must Be Fifty Ways to Leave Your Collar

So far this is my favorite Simon's Cat collection.

Sure, we get a lot of tricking Simon's Cat into the box, and the Vet visit itself is pretty raucous, but the title promises many other Cat-astrophes, and it makes good on that promise.

Among other treats, we get - An extended riff on the horrors of protective collars and all of the ineffective ways there are to remove them. A running series of jokes about Simon's Cat versus the fussy next-door gardener.
Kim Ammons (youthbookreview)
I adore the Simon's Cat videos on YouTube as well as the previous Simon's Cat books, and this one was no disappointment! As with previous titles, there are no captions or dialogue, which makes the book perfect for any age or reading level. Most pages are one self-contained picture or series of pictures, which makes the book easy to flip through because you can jump to any page you want and understand what's going on. There are a few longer series that take up anywhere between 2-6 pages, in addit ...more

• Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles, #2)
  • Paarvai
  • Cat Getting Out of a Bag and Other Observations
  • மேகத்தைத் துரத்தினவன் [Megathai Thurathinavan]
  • Sathuranga Raja
  • Thulla Mudiyatha Pulliman
  • I Am Pusheen the Cat
  • Herding Cats (Sarah's Scribbles, #3)
  • Baking With Kafka
  • All My Friends Are Still Dead
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1
  • Unpregnant
  • Best Bear Ever!: A Little Year of Liz Climo
  • The Okay Witch
  • Cats are Weird and More Observations
  • Positive Attitude (Dilbert #29)
Simon started drawing cartoons at an early age and went to study Graphics and Animation at De Montfort University. He has a great interest in British wildlife, painting, the great outdoors and of course cats. He now works in London as an animator and director at Tandem Films.
Simon lives in Bedfordshire with this three cats: Hugh, Maisie, Jess and Teddy.

Simon's Cat (6 books)
  • Simon's Cat (Simon's Cat, #1)
  • Simon's Cat: Beyond the Fence (Simon's Cat, #2)
  • Simon's Cat in Kitten Chaos (Simon's Cat, #3)
  • Simon's Cat vs. the World (Simon's Cat, #4)
  • Simon's Cat: It's a Dog's Life (Simon's Cat, #6)

News & Interviews