Jump to ratings and reviews

Simon's Cat #5

Simon's Cat Off to the Vet . . . and Other Cat-astrophes

"Cat lovers will adore this and will nod in recognition of real-life cat behavior; cartoon fans will delight in Tofield's graceful skill in capturing the slinkiness, stealth, and self-absorption of our feline masters."—Publishers Weekly on Simon's Cat vs. the World

"Fans are in for a treat as favorite characters, as well as new faces, run amok in a world full of surprises."—Cat Fancy

"What sets Tofield's cartoons apart are the truly comic moments of pure cat-ness: the merciless patting at a half-dead fly, the single-minded determination, that weird little dance thing that segues seamlessly into a look of utter boredom."—Irish Times

In the last five years, Simon's Cat has become a global phenomenon. Star of thirty-nine films, which have been watched over 500 million times, and winner of a dozen major industry awards, Simon's Cat has captured the hearts of a worldwide audience. In this brand new book we see Simon's Cat face any feline's most dreaded scenario—he's off to the vet. And he's not at all happy about it.

Sharing its theme with the first-ever full-color Simon's Cat feature animation, funded by a record-breaking Indiegogo campaign and due to be released alongside the new book, Simon's Cat Off to the Vet . . . and Other Adventures is packed with over 240 pages of hilarious new gags and adventures featuring our favorite furry friend and his companions—both old and new.

Simon Tofield is an award-winning animator and cartoonist. He has had a lifelong interest in animals, beginning as a child, when his uncle gave him a plastic pond that quickly filled with wildlife. Simon was given his first cat when he was nine and now has four rescue cats, which are the mischievous inspiration for his work.

240 pages, Paperback

First published September 14, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Simon Tofield

31 books226 followers
Simon started drawing cartoons at an early age and went to study Graphics and Animation at De Montfort University. He has a great interest in British wildlife, painting, the great outdoors and of course cats. He now works in London as an animator and director at Tandem Films.
Simon lives in Bedfordshire with this three cats: Hugh, Maisie, Jess and Teddy.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
14 (2%)
1 star
5 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 83 reviews
Profile Image for Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede.
1,913 reviews765 followers
September 20, 2015
I read this book, ironically, with my cat lying on my chest. Also, I had to read the book on my iPhone since I couldn't read on my iPad because Caesar isn't a small kitten anymore. He is a big cat, and it's really hard to try to hold a book or an iPad while he is lying on my chest. There is just no way one can read comfortable with him lying there, so iPhone it is.

Anyway, as you understand by now I have a cat so I find Simon's Cat Off to the Vet . . . and Other Cat-astrophes really charming to read because so much is so familiar to me. Having a cat is just basically having a child, a spoiled child, that just see you as his/hers personal slave. You're not the master of the cat. You are his/her pet.

This book is perfect for anyone that is a slave to a cat or want's to be a slave to a cat. Just remember it's hard to laugh when a cat is lying on your chest.

I received this copy from the Akashic Books through Edelweiss in return for an honest review! Thank you!
Profile Image for Juli.
1,844 reviews470 followers
April 24, 2018
Everyone who lives with a cat faces similar challenges. It's impossible to put sheets on a bed without the cat jumping right into the middle. Putting a cat into a carrier to go to the vet is impossible....it's like they know what's being planned. Cats drag all sorts of dead animals onto the porch. When the litter box is scooped and clean, it takes every cat in the house about six seconds to come get it dirty again. This collection pokes fun at these little shared kitty moments with the usual cuteness and humor of Simon's Cat cartoons. :)

I love these cartoons! I live with four lovely felines, plus several dogs -- all rescues. Just a lovely bunch of mismatched furfaces. And, these cartoons never fail to make me think of similar things my pets have done. Messes made. Food sneakily stolen. Things broken. Endearing moments. Aggravating moments. :) Reading a Simon's Cat book never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Anyone who likes cats will love these cartoons. There is also a youtube channel (Simon's Cat) with animated videos. :)
Profile Image for Atram_sinprisa.
295 reviews
January 6, 2016
Simon el gato, un cómic apto para todas las edades. Sin texto, tan solo imagen, lleva la expresividad a la máxima potencia. Divertido, irreverente y descarado. Vamos, un gato.
Profile Image for Andrew.
2,116 reviews
December 1, 2015
Ah Simons cat returns to form after the previous instalment changed format and appearance. I have been a fan of the exploits of Simons cat ever since it first appeared all those years ago. It has now turned in to somewhat of a celebrity all of its own with merchandise and animated shorts to prove it.

The book really follows the humorous and rather disastrous exploits of said cat (and its young apprentice) in a series of cartoons. Although stylised I am sure many a cat owner will recognised the mischievous and devious workings of their mind.

However this is not limited to the cat appreciation club - anyone who has spent time with a domesticated animal will see some of the adventures they can get up to - both with our help and hindrance. Having grown up around animals I relate to far too many of them.

This a great book and I am really pleased the Simon Tofield is back to the style I love so much - not only that but I have my copy signed by him too.
Profile Image for Robyn.
1,657 reviews115 followers
October 15, 2020
This edition is a bit disappointing as it seemed rather jumbled and disorganized to me. That said it was fairly accurate on cat behavior.

3 stars

Happy Reading!
Profile Image for Yvonne.
1,075 reviews244 followers
August 16, 2015
I love the Simon’s Cat books. Okay, so I'm a cat lover...not a big secret :)  Of course I'm going to be a Simon fan.  The drawings make me laugh and, in their own way, are quite realistic when dealing with a cat. Anyone with a cat can identify with them, especially the ones in this book showing the trip to the vet. I’ve had my own adventures with my cats going to the vet. Not an event I ever look forward to. There’s also a bathroom drawing that had me nodding my head in agreement.  Too funny and too accurate!

The fun doesn't stop there.  You really need to get this book to truly appreciate what this author has done.  He's creative, intelligent and knows how to draw with humor.

These are collectible books that you will want to savor and save forever. This latest one is another keeper. It makes the grayest day seem bright. I needed something to make me smile right now and this one did the trick. Loved it and am looking forward to the next one.

FTC Disclosure: Edelweiss provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for phantom.
25 reviews
September 11, 2022
Es que AMO lo caótico y wholesome que es todo con estos gatos *se derrite de amor*
Profile Image for Monica.
754 reviews
October 16, 2016
En ésta quinta entrega de Tofield, el adorable gatuno blanco sigue haciendo de las suyas....dentro y fuera de su hábitat, sólo o en compañía del gatito que convive con él, los pájaros del jardín más cercano, de un huraño jardinero o una chucho bonachón y gordote ( son las mejores tiras de la obra).
Provisto de un humor rápido y efectivo, lógico con las travesuras y obsesiones de los felinos, éste nuevo volumen proporciona un agradable rato de entretenimiento a la vez que una 'lectura' relámpago.
Para adoradores de los felinos y del gato de Simon. No os decepcionará.
Profile Image for Online Eccentric Librarian.
2,839 reviews5 followers
July 30, 2015

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Simon's Cat has been a beloved series for our family, adults and kids alike, since we first found it on the web. We've purchased every book and enjoyed them greatly; poor put upon cat owner Simon, his crafty cat, an energetic kitten, and plenty of dogs, hedgehogs, cranky neighbors, and diabolical birds. It makes for an infectious mix never needing words to convey the humor.

In this volume, Simon's cat battles the vet, tries to outwit the area birds, romps with hedgehogs, outmaneuvers his nemesis kitten, and deals with Simon's uptight neighbor. What's fun is that payoffs to funny earlier scenes often come later in the story as well. It's not a set of funny but separate vignettes so much as a continuing story of the life of Simon and his pets.

Pet owners especially will appreciate so many of the inside jokes; e.g., Simon having to sneak up to give his cat the burning drops of chemical tick repellent on the back of the neck (something us cat owners know full well drives cats nuts) or the debacle of a vet visit. Watching the cat interact with the other vet visitors makes for great scenes that can be biting in their lucidity. As always Simon's cat deals with the animals and people of the world (from the brainless dog to the preternaturally smart birds) with aplomb.

What makes Simon's Cat the series so rich is that there is a down-home truth to so much of the storytelling. Whether it is cats crawling into his pants when he's using the toilet or felines falling asleep in the oddest and most annoying places - it all invokes the richness of pet ownership and the humor at the zany lives of pets.

If you haven't read the series, don't worry. This book is a fine place to start since these are slice of life stories of Simon's cat and his friends/enemies. Those returning will welcome the addition of new strips to enjoy. Because the scenes are wordless but with uncluttered illustrations, this is great for all ages and to share with younger kids together. Reviewed from an advance reader copy provided by the publisher.
Profile Image for Sherri.
394 reviews4 followers
December 25, 2016
Fun book for anyone who lives with a cat. Most of these are probably online but worth a second look. All illustrations, no words are needed, and no language barriers. Ideal for beginning readers of all ages and those with reading difficulties.
Profile Image for Sam.
3,132 reviews238 followers
July 12, 2017
This really is a rather amusing collection of cartoons and illustrations that show just how traumatic life can be for a cat and how they like to share this trauma with their humans. The main story centers around a visit to the vet's, which doesn't go well at all, but there are plenty of other scenarios and situations that Simon's cat finds himself in that he isn't totally happy with. An entertaining read for a quite evening on the sofa.
Profile Image for Jennifer B..
1,279 reviews26 followers
June 30, 2017
I didn't fully understand what all of these wordless cartoons were trying to say, but cute overall.
Profile Image for Kk.
1,742 reviews11 followers
August 10, 2022
Blue Light Special on Amazon 08/06/22 for $1.99

5 Stars for general hilarity...

This is my life and probably a lot of others if you have decided to share your life with a cat.
Profile Image for Eden.
1,667 reviews
August 4, 2022
2922 bk 222. I came to love Simon's cats through the animations - but the books have their own charm. For one, you can pause and really look for all of the tiny claws, er clues, to the story being told on the page. AND - a belly laugh won't end in the animation being over before you regained your ability to see the final action. Oh my, what Simon's cats get up to - making the bed, escaping at the vet's, getting that .... cone off, annoying the neighbor. What fun!
Profile Image for  ~Geektastic~.
232 reviews148 followers
January 11, 2016

(I received an ARC of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss, in exchange for an honest review)

Simon’s Cat began life as a series of animated shorts on Youtube, and I’ve watched quite a few of them, but this is my first encounter with a book version.

Simon’s Cat: Off to the Vet…and Other Cat-astrophes is a series of wordless comics about a youngish, single male cat owner and his sassy, spoiled cat. There are no sarcastic remarks- and no lasagna- but it is certainly the spiritual offspring of the food-loving, dog-kicking Garfield. To bring this comparison home, Off to the Vet features an instance of Simon’s cat attempting to trap his kitten housemate in a shipping box; the only thing missing is the Abu Dhabi mailing label. On the other hand, Simon’s cat is not quite as dignified as his fat orange predecessor.

The line art is simple and expressive, usually telling the whole story in a single image or a small handful of panels. It has a lot of the charm of the videos, but not quite all. There is something about the pacing and tone of the animations that captures the silliness and spontaneity of cats better than still art. Anyone familiar with typical cat behavior will recognize Simon’s cat as the quintessential curious house cat, though he seems to get into more trouble than your average pet.

I can safely recommend it for cat lovers in general and fans of the Simon’s Cat franchise more specifically, but I would certainly suggest you watch the animations first, and then read the books if you find you need more Simon’s Cat in your life.
Profile Image for Eva Hechenberger.
1,344 reviews17 followers
January 24, 2016
Nicht verwundert sein, wieso ich mal ein Buch ohne Text “lesen” wollte, aber ich arbeite bei einem Tierarzt und finde es immer lustig, wenn es um Tiere und Tierarzt geht. teilweise zum Schreien komisch.
Hier wird die Geschichte von Simons Katze erzählt, der zum Tierarzt muss. Zusätzlich werden einige Katastrophen erzählt, die man auch zu Hause erlebt.
Die Bilder sind sehr lustig, teilweise sehr komplex, dann wieder einfach gehalten. Tolle Idee.
Das Lustigste fand ich, als sich die Katze vor dem Besitzer und dem Tierarzt in der Praxis versteckt und so einige Unruhe hineinbringt. Wirklich gelungen.
Das Buch hat eine schöne Aufmachung, es ist gebunden, damit ich hatte ich wirklich nicht gerechnet.
Zu den Zeichnungen muss ich glaube ich nichts sagen, die sind immer grandios. Muss dazu sagen, habe auch einige Artikel für meinen eigenen Stubentiger zu Hause, weil ich die Sachen wirklich toll finde.
Profile Image for April.
305 reviews3 followers
October 19, 2015
Simon's Cat: Off to the Vet, and Other Cat-astrophes
Tofield, Simon
Akashic Books
2015

An Librarything Early Reviewers Book.
I am a huge fan of the Simon's Cat videos, so I knew I would enjoy this book. This is a collection of comic strips revolving around life with a cat. If you have ever loved a cat, you can relate to the craziness that is Simon's Cat. The trip to the vet starts about halfway through the book and would work well as one of Simon's video cartoons.
While I enjoyed the book, I think Mr. Tofields videos are more fun and show the antics of the cats better.

3 1/2 stars.
Profile Image for Karen.
164 reviews
November 9, 2015
Okay, so I didn't "read" this book. I followed the illustrations and giggled my way through them. Simon Tofield is a solid cat person with a whimsical style. If you have ever been owned by a cat you will find much to identify with here. (I took my cat to the vet recently and getting her in the carrier was almost exactly like it was for Simon in this book. Well, she didn't throw silverware, but the rest, yes.) Sometimes you just need a good giggle. Tofield will supply. :) I am sure I will return to this book again and again.
December 28, 2015
I love the books and cartoons on YouTube

I've grown up with cats and I love how spot on the illustrations are.
You don't need words to tell a funny story. Just watch your or others animals and you will understand completely.
Profile Image for Logan.
1,274 reviews33 followers
November 23, 2015
No words, just pictures, and that's all you really need. Great fun figuring out what is going on and has been really nice to share with the kids, who think the cat is both fascinating and silly.
Profile Image for Tina.
37 reviews1 follower
January 27, 2016
This is the "old" Simon's Cat - the Simon's Cat i love

I'm really happy that hes back.
518 reviews7 followers
December 16, 2017
As a huge Simon’s Cat fan, when he announced the crowdfunding campaign to make the “Off to the Vet” film, my wife was keen to be involved. As part of her donation, she was sent an accompanying book “Off to the Vet – and Other Cat-astrophes”, which has subsequently been made available for general sale, although the donation copies also came signed and with some collector’s cards which aren’t generally available with a purchased copy.

What makes this book different from the other Simon’s Cat books is that it has more of a storyline than previous ones. Although it does start in a similar vein to what existing fans may be familiar with, as Simon’s Cat causes havoc around the house and in the garden – this time around, we also get to meet the neighbour and see what he does in their garden as well – there is a large section concerning the trip to the vet and all the havoc Simon’s Cat can cause both at the surgery and afterwards.

It is slightly disappointing in that the cartoons here do not follow the same story as the film, although this does show how imaginative Simon Tofield can be in being able to write two separate stories around a similar theme. Perhaps my only other disappointment with this book is that, after making a big deal of the film being the first one in colour, there are only a very limited number of full colour pages in this book, with the majority being the standard black and white line drawings.

However, everything that makes “Simon’s Cat” so good is here. The cartoons are very funny, both individually and as part of the storyline, and much will be familiar to cat owners. Whilst the expressions and actions are heavily anthropomorphised, this helps to make them more accessible to those less familiar with cats and adds something extra even for those who are. This was particularly effective in the section where Simon’s Cat was stuck in the veterinary collar, as his actions and reactions were made much easier to relate to with the added human touch.

As with every “Simon’s Cat” book, I thoroughly enjoyed this one, even more than usual thanks to the consistency of storyline that doesn’t appear in all of his books and works better for me, as someone who is more used to reading novels. This book contains everything that has made “Simon’s Cat” such a phenomenon over the last few years, in the expertly done drawings, the humour and the actions and expressions that any cat fan can relate to.
Profile Image for Ale Rivero.
1,178 reviews102 followers
May 11, 2017
Creo que este gato es la pesadilla de cualquier dueño, jaja. Aunque es tan tierno, y en muchas ocasiones me ha hecho acordar de las travesuras de los míos.
Las gatástrofes que lleva a cabo este gato, con y sin ayuda de su compinche, son de lo más divertidas y calamitosas para aquellos que deben sufrirlas, sin embargo, en el medio de tan ilustraciones divertidas, aún queda espacio para mostrar la amistad, el amor y la ayuda al otro.
Los dibujos son simples y a la vez llenos de detalles, y aunque esta historia se pasa en un santiamén, siempre quedan ganas de volver a mirar ciertos cuadros que logran sacar sus sonrisas. Creo que el autor ha tenido una gran mano para plasmar en pocas imágenes lo entretenido que es tener gatos como mascotas, y el valor que tienen ellos mismos como animales.
Es imposible no recomendarles cualquier cosas relacionada con las aventuras de estos gatitos, y siempre pueden pasarse por el canal de youtube del autor para ver las animaciones, son bastante fabulosas. Muy recomendable.
Profile Image for Claudia.
1,184 reviews35 followers
May 10, 2020
If you love cats, have a cat or have friends that have cats, this is an amusing view into the life of a human owned by a cat via cartoons and short videos by Simon Tofield, a British cartoonist.

The cat - who I don't believe readers/watchers ever learn his name - is a stubborn, sometimes clumsy cat who focuses on getting his owner to feed him. In this book, his encounters trying to convince birds at the feeder to get into his mouth, interactions with the next-door neighbor and of course, the vet. The vet who is traumatized after his experience with Simon's cat.

Cat has a bunch of 'friends' - the kitten, a variety of birds, the garden gnome who is perpetually fishing in the pond, along with a hedgehog and his family.

Personally, I find the 100+ videos on youtube or tofield's website even more amusing but the book gives numerous cartoons that aren't long enough for an animated bit. Besides the vet visit, that is.

2020-093
23 reviews
Read
September 20, 2019
I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer's program.

I've been a past fan of the Simon's Cat videos, but had not yet seen one of the books, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect in the transition from video to print. In a move that (in retrospect) makes perfect sense, the book has no words at all, it's just a series of pictures. Some are tightly connected, following a storyline of the cat's visit to the vet, and some are more loosely connected. The pictures work surprisingly well at communicating the crazy antics that cat owners are likely to be too familiar with.

This book was enjoyable to read (look?) through, and I will enjoy looking through it again from time to time.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 83 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.