Start by marking “Home” as Want to Read:
Home

Home

"An ambitious saga that intertwines narration from various generations and creates a wide-ranging picture of Indonesia." — Publishers Weekly

"An epic saga of families and friends entangled in the cruel snare of history" (Time Magazine) Home examines the tragedy of political exiles during Suharto's regime (1965-1998) forced out of Indonesia after the 1965 massacre of presume
Published October 27th 2015 by Deep Vellum Publishing (first published December 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home

Start your review of Home
Azarine Arinta
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Review ini harus dibuka dengan kutipan dari Franz Kafka,"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us."

Buku ini begitu lua
lita
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel-indonesia
I moved this review to my blog
Ronald Morton
My roots were in a foreign land. I was born in France, a country with a beautiful body and fragrant scent. But, according to my father, my blood came from another country one far distant from the European land mass, a place that gave the world the scent of cloves and wasted sadness; a land of fecundity, rich with plants of myriad colors, shapes, and faiths, yet one that could crush its own citizens merely because of a difference in opinion.
I love being able to add new shelves for my books on GR
Maddie
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indonesia
I began reading Pulang/Home (English translation) after hearing Leila Chudori speak at my university a couple of weeks ago. Other than this book, I have never read any other Indonesian literature and thought Pulang sounded like an interesting place to start - and it was. I have limited knowledge about Indonesia's political history but Leila Chudori covered the historical side well. It was shocking to learn what happened in 1965 and the years that followed. However, the book is not entirely about ...more
Ardita Çaesari
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me at, "Un tres bon plat, Ayah." It was a sentence that lift the whole thing, summarized details that followed later into the book.

I haven't read good story in Bahasa Indonesia for quite a while. I'd like to say "Pulang" shed a light on many things. It's a new hybrid of a genre that comes with a bibliography (which means: pretty thorough research). The characters study, the plot, the sub-plot, the atmosphere building, and the intimacy were just the right dose. For me, at least. It
Calzean
This book looks at the impact on those considered to be enemies of the State as part of Sukarno's crackdown in 1965. The book then follows a small group of Indonesians and their families who find themselves unable to return to their country and are stuck in Paris. The book then moves to the end of the General Suharto era in 1998. Their is some coverage of the tortures, deaths and imprisonment that occurred under Suharto but this was often shadowed by various diversions.
I don't know whether the i
Annie
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Leila S. Chudori’s Home (translated by John H. McGlynn) circles around a black day in Indonesian history, while not revealing much about what happened on September 30, 1965. Instead, it details the long aftermath of the violence and the violent, repressive crackdown on communism through the lives of Dimas Suryo and his family. McGlynn’s translation includes some poorly chosen words and the book could have done with more editing, as it contains some typos...

Read the rest of my review at A Bookish
Sookie
Sep 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Home is a novel about search for roots, finding what makes homeland "our homeland" ; is it the people, our memories, cultural diaspora we are genetically coded to, or is it where we have our identity unquestionably present? This book goes in search for answers to all these questions and more set during most turbulent times in Indonesian history. (Much of this history is still unveiled and explored by the state, and the novel is more than a decade old.)
An Indonesian man is forced to become an exp
Rahman Rasyidi
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a hand-sewn mosaic art with the characters as its patch and their story as the connecting string. Sometimes it moves too fast, sometimes it needs to go back and forth. We can see how beautiful the craft is made in the end.

Haha, perhaps not a very good analogy but at least that's how I felt after reading it.

This book also made me think about the word "pulang" itself - how it can mean differently depending on the person.
Libertina Judith
pardon my not-so-good review, but well i feel like i need to write a review about this book.

this book compelled me into reading it by its promising Indonesia historical background.
i think the story (should be) good, it has potential.
BUT.
1. the story about May 1998 is not emphasized enough. for me it's just Lintang and Alam witnessing the chaos.....so what? the book didn't even write about the moment Soeharto left his throne.
2. i am somewhat confused with the plot, the complications and the solut
Wella Madjid
historical moments and events in Paris, France and Jakarta, Indonesia in between 1960s-1998 in this book were blended perfectly, whole-heartedly by one of the prominent indonesian women writer, Leila S. Chudori. It talks about one of the darkest political history that still unreaveled by Indonesian government until now: 30 September 1965 incident engaged Indonesian Communist Party. Just like political incident with blood that happened in Aceh, Papua and Santa Cruz, I believe that literature can ...more
Astrid Lim
The theme of this book is actually very interesting. Politics, history, Indonesia, France, New Order, Soeharto's decline, etc etc. It felt personal to me too, since I've known a few political exile during my stay in Holland. But I had some complaints: the writing (language is a bit awkward here and there), the romance (took too much part of the book), and the ending (unexplainable and a bit anti climactic). But I'll still recommend this for any Indonesian literature readers.
Anna Kramer
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Robert Frost once said that “home is our destination, the place that will embrace us.” It is a place of comfort, culture, family, and, in the case of Leila Chudori's Home, food. Chudori's story tells of a family oppressed and stigmatised by the 1960’s Indonesian military regime. Originally written and published in Bahasa Indonesian as Pulang, Home is forthcoming in English from Deep Vellum Publishing, translated by John H. McGlynn. Chudori won the Khatulistiwa award for her book, Indonesia's for ...more
asih simanis
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall This was a beautifully written emotional roller coaster set through some of the most important events in Indonesian history, the 1965 Communist massacre and the 1998 Reformation. The story is told through the perspective of a family of exiles, Indonesians who were considered to be part of the Communists and therefore were not able to return to Indonesia.

I loved how full of details the book was, showing the extend of knowledge Leila had on her subjects, the Indonesian exiles. The way she
Ramsey Carroll
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was great. This is not an advanced edit, but some parts read like it. I actually believe that with another editor, this book could be a strong contender for some national book awards and wide publication and reading. Would give 5/5 stars, but reserve one for that reason.

If you're interested in Southeast Asian literature, this is a must read. A fictional look at the lives of Indonesian Political Exiles, this book takes you to a far more personal understanding of how President Suharto's
Andy Wijaya
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was taking a quite longer time to finish this book actually. However I was enjoying it page by page. I always love the way Leila telling story how to see things in different perspective, in several point of views, on tragic events that was happening in Indonesia (1965 or 1998).

When I read the Lintang’s background and her character in the book, it is not a big surprise that this character is inspired by Mariana Renat Dantec because I was imagining the same person as Laila did. Good work.

I am c
Karen
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I read a book that is set in a country that I don't know too much about, and it creates in me an impetus to read more, than I feel it has done its job. In this case Indonesia.

Home is set in Paris and Jakarta, Indonesia. The story revolves around September 30, 1965 when the army instigated an anti-communist purge that killed between 500,000 and 1 million people. The main character Dimas was one person who was able to escape the purges by going abroad, and eventually settling in Paris.

I enj
Yuli Hasmaliah
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
historical story, chronic condition, a puzzle.
Anindya
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I was sceptical towards this book. I got this book as a birthday present, and I kept putting off to read this one. Until I was on my annual leave and got some free time, I started reading it. It amazed me. I could not put it down and finished it within couple days.

This book looks back to mainly two historical events in Indonesia: 1965's anti-communist purge and 1998's mass violence which also ended the long dark New Order regime. The story was characterised by some Indonesia
Bookshop
Pro:
1. quick, light, engaging read. I finished it over the weekend.
2. great topic esp read now when PKI is again used as a scapegoat

Cons:
1. irrelevant. Might be interesting in 2006 but in 2017? Some of the 'heroes' of the Trisakti events have proven to be jerks.
2. the May riot was an after thought. Kind of unacceptable although when read in he context of 'the dictator never abdicates' makes sense.
3. what is it with Indonesian novel and sex scenes obsessions? I am not prudes (really!) but 3 s
Kirana Ikhsan
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ( Le Petit Prince , Antoine de saint - Exupery)

Dengan menggunakan hati, kita bisa melihat dengan jernih. Sesuatu yang begitu penting justru tak terlihat kasat mata.

Not as i expected before, this novel was so brilliant and i just cant stop reading it. "Seamless realism" Seno Gumira Ajidarma (Indonesian Journalist) said. This novel does not make me feel like i was reading a novel... i was into this story, i took a part i
Zul Azim
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best novels in Malay I've ever read, even though I'm not as familiar with Indonesian Malay. Steeped with Indonesian history, this novel sheds a different light on one of Indonesia's darkest history. You know the writer is good when numerous cultural and literature references are used, such as homage to Akira Kurosawa movies, Led Zeppelin, poems from John Keats, and prominent Indonesian works like the Mahabharata.

Overall, a highly recommended read. Looking forward to reading mo
Mariskova
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed this novel from a friend and kept postponing to read it. Thought this would be 'heavy.' But, surprisingly, no. The story is sad, bitter, comical, witty, funny, educating mixed together. The cynicism is funny and smart at the same time. It made me laugh. All those references flow naturally. I love the book...until I reached the chapter when Lintang goes to Jakarta. Suddenly the story becomes cheesy romance with unnecessary exaggerated bed scenes. I could just rip the last quarter part of ...more
Retno Sari
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been searching this book for quite a long time and finally had a chance to read it.
Pulang, tidak diragukan lagi akan menjadi salah satu novel dalam negeri favorit saya sepanjang masa.
Sarat pengetahuan sejarah, bahasa yang indah, dan emosional.
After reading it, I'll never see G30SPKI in the same way again. Politik itu kejam, dan sejarawan yang tidak punya idealisme lebih kejam lagi.

I give this book five stars out of five.
Alan
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
"literature is no less important than food, knowledge, and faith as a major sustenance of life" from the acknowledgements section

The third and final section packed quite an emotional wallop. It made the entire book worthwhile. If you get bogged down in the first two sections, stay the course.

I'm a sucker for novels that help me learn about a culture I have had little exposure to. This one did not disappoint.
Jhe Setiyadi
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fave-s
Uncovering the dark-side of the biggest chaotic massacre ever happened on our nations.

taking the political-prisoner point of view
mixed with the complex love-hate relationship between two person (parent-children, lover, friends)
full with emotions, rage, sadness and strong will to uncover the truth behind the September 30th Incident.

Historical fiction that mixed up up with emotional story?
Surely worth to read.
LiA
Aug 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Confusing. Cumbersome style, which might be due to the German translation. Unfortunately I don't read Indonesian. In the German version the voices of all first person narrators sound the same, no matter, whether father or daughter, lover or brother tell the story. A real pity, since the plot is a real good and interesting one.
Nuha
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delicious novel and not just because of the mouthwatering descriptions of food. Chudori delves into questions of identity and belonging against the complex background of the 1965 Indonesian Civil Uprising and its consequent histories. Spanning two generations, Chudori weaves an intricate narrative with vital ingredients of love, politics and growth.
Gita Putri
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best part is from this book is Paris days. The character seems quite convincing as persons, despite the Jakarta chapter in the 1998 years are more comic and fit certain stereotypes to fit in the story. But this book is much enjoyable than Amba.
Aqmarina Andira
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing that I love the most from this book is the structure. It is really well organized. That structure makes the whole story and character really outstanding. There are some cliche character and conversation here and there, but it still really really great.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Casting buat "Pulang" the Movie 5 98 Jan 27, 2015 05:21PM
Goodreads Indonesia: Bedah Buku @ KFC Coffee bersama Leila S Chudori 1 28 Jan 07, 2013 06:33PM

• Entrok
  • Bumi Manusia
  • Gadis Kretek
  • Orang-Orang Oetimu
  • Orang-orang Proyek
  • Child of All Nations (Buru Quartet, #2)
  • Ronggeng Dukuh Paruk
  • Raden Mandasia si Pencuri Daging Sapi
  • Supernova: Ksatria, Puteri, dan Bintang Jatuh
  • Di Tanah Lada
  • Aroma Karsa
  • Bilangan Fu
  • Filosofi Teras
  • Semua Ikan di Langit
Leila Salikha Chudori adalah penulis Indonesia yang menghasilkan berbagai karya cerita pendek, novel, dan skenario drama televisi.Leila S. Chudori bercerita tentang kejujuran, keyakinan, dan tekad, prinsip dan pengorbanan. Mendapat pengaruh dari bacaan-bacaan dari buku-buku yang disebutnya dalam cerpen-cerpennya yang kita ketahui dari riwayat hidupnya ialah Franz Kafka, pengarang Jerman yang mempe ...more

News & Interviews

“Aku tak ingin berakhir seperti mereka, saling mencintai. Lantas kehilangan dan kini mereka hanya mengenang dan merenung dari jauh.” 80 likes
“Jangan sekali-kali meminta maaf untuk mempertahankan prinsip!” 61 likes