Start by marking “You Look Yummy!” as Want to Read:
You Look Yummy!

You Look Yummy!

(Tyrannosaurus #1)

This sweet tale about the love between father and son is the first in a tremendously popular Tyrannosaurus series in 12 titles to date, with combined sales in excess of 3 million copies in Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan and France.  A long, long time ago, a baby Ankylosaurus is born on a volcano erupting ground. As the little Ankylosaurus begins wandering around, a big Tyrann ...more
Published November 1st 2015 by Museyon (first published September 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about You Look Yummy!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Look Yummy!

Carmen
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
This is a cute little book about an Ankylosaurus who hatches all alone in a prehistoric desert. Suddenly a loud roar echoes across the wasteland.

”Heh heh heh... you look yummy!” a Tyrannosaurus said. He drooled hungrily as he got ready to pounce on the baby Ankylosaurus.

But something very unexpected happened.

”Daddy!” The Ankylosaurus grabbed onto the leg of the Tyrannosaurus. “I was really lonely. I was scared.”

The Tyrannosaurus was stunned! He blurted out
Vivian
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fr, children, ng
I was really excited to this read one since I'm on the lookout for stories for my nephews, and I was hoping this one would be a good one to buy them. I think there is a slight cultural disconnect with what happens in the story. The blurb leads one to believe this is a father/son book. The truth is yes and no.

In a dino eat dino world, it's rough out there. Yummy, the baby Anklyosaurus hatches and comes across a Tyrannosaurus whom he mistakes for his father. Bonding occurs with physical activitie
Sandra
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
When baby Ankylosaurus hatches, he finds himself all alone in a place unknown to him. The first dinosaur he finds is the Tyrannosaurus, whose intentions are not difficult to figure out. But it happens that the baby thinks the Tyrannosaurus is his daddy and shows him so much love, that soon the Tyrannosaurus starts liking him back. He protects him and teaches the baby all he knows. He even eats berries instead of meat!

The baby repeats the whole time he wants to be like his daddy, and at some poin
Abigail
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Anthropomorphic Dinosaur Stories for Kids
Fans of anthropomorphic dinosaur stories, rejoice! Acclaimed Japanese author/illustrator Tatsuya Miyanishi's multi-volume picture-book series about the adventures of a Tyrannosaurus Rex has been (partially) translated. In this first installment, a tiny Ankylosaurus hatches against the backdrop of volcanoes erupting and earthquakes shaking. Imprinting on the T-Rex, little Yummy adores his adoptive father who, seeing himself through the eyes of an innocent and trusting being, protects and nurtures ...more
Barbara
When a newly-hatched Ankylosaurus bonds with a fierce Tyrannosaurus--mistaking him for his father--his innocence and ambitions to be just like his daddy endear him to the carnivorous dinosaur. Not only does he end up protecting the tender morsel that he had originally planned to eat, but he also teaches him all his survival skills. Readers' hearts will ache for both of them when the T-Rex sends Yummy, the baby dinosaur, back to where he really belongs. This sweetly-told story about how mistaken ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dinosaur lovers will absolutely love this book. Parents should also love this book.

ou Look Yummy! is an adorable read! A baby ankylosaurus hatches and is alone. A tyrannosaurus finds him and thinks he would make a great meal. When he says "You look Yummy" the baby ankylosaurus thinks he is calling him by name and assumes he is his daddy. The t-rex's heart melts and he becomes very protective of the baby. He saves him from other meat-eaters as well as teaching him everything he knows, ramming, r
Nicola Mansfield
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aw, this is so sweet and I love the illustrations! A baby ankylosaurus is hatched all alone and imprints on a T.Rex calling him "Daddy" just as he is about to eat him. The Tyrannosaurus' heart is touched and he looks after him for a while teaching him all he knows but he also knows that "Yummy" needs to be with his own kind and in a touching sweet scene sends him off to be with his true family in the end. A much different ending than is generally given these days. This shows that the best intere ...more
A. Hunt
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children of all ages
Recommended to A. by: Museyon Publications
OMGoodness, You Look Yummy! is an adorable read! So here's the synopsis:

This story is so cute and I can't wait to share it with my ewoks. It's about a baby ankylosaurus who's found by a tyrannosaurus. The tyrannosaurus has develops a fatherly relationship with little Yummy. And the ending... totally adorable! It's sweet and I can't think of any child who wouldn't love it.

Grab yourself a copy of this beautiful children's story. You will be so happy you did.
A book by Tatsuya Miyanishi (story an
Melle
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who know they're not good with kids and kids who pick the wrong role models
This is sort of like P. D. Eastman's Are You My Mother, but with an emotional knife being twisted in the reader's back.

This isn't as messed up as Tatsuya Miyanishi's Mr. Reaper, but the whole concept of these weird, tragicomic children's books are growing on me. Perhaps they're aimed just as much as the adults reading them as for the children. Life is weird and unpredictable and painful and surprisingly sweet, and these books reflect that, even and especially with the high WTF factor.
Amy Neftzger
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a cute picture book (and apparently part of a series in Japan) in which a Tyrannosaurus Rex is on the verge of devouring a baby ankylosaurus when the little dinosaur calls the T-Rex "Daddy" and, of course, this melts the big dinosaurs heart. This short volume is brilliantly colored and explores the relationship between this unlikely father and son.
Danielle Mootz
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Both my children really liked this book open and loud illustrations.
Laura Harrison
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A must have for the dinosaur lover in your family. Bold, vibrant illustrations and a sweet story about mistaken identity make this book just about perfect.
Jason
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second of Miyanishi's books I've read so far and I love how he plays with the notions about identity and purpose. The ankylosaurus's vulnerability and desire to connect throws off the T-Rex and redefine what being a T-Rex means for him. Profound stuff and refreshing to see portrayed in a picture book.
Sven Robertson
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
This story stars prey-turned-child, Yummy (an ankylosaurus) and the predator-turned-daddy, a vicious t-rex with a soft spot for hugs and berries. I do not like to tell the whole story with my reviews, but I felt it was necessary with this one. So...SPOILER ALERT.

The book starts off really cute with Yummy getting separated from his family after a random volcano. Suddenly, he comes upon the t-rex who says, “You look yummy.” Our clueless, naive little critter thinks the t-rex is naming him Yummy. M
Storywraps
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This prehistoric tale is written to showcase long, long time ago when dinosaurs still roam the earth and the earth is plagued with volcanoes, earthquakes and stark barrenness.

A baby Ankylosaurus hatches from his egg and finds himself all alone in this dangerous world without anyone to nurture and protect him. He cries because of his abandonment and trudges along to seek companionship. He bumps into a huge, Tyrannosaurus Rex who drools hungrily over him and is ready to pounce on the suffering li
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
A baby Ankylosaurus mistakes a T-Rex for its daddy and hilarity ensues. A heartwarming tale of diversity and family.

See that cheeky, quirky cover? See that big, scary, Godzilla-like T-Rex? Now see that teeny little pink spiky blob behind him? That’s the sweet little Ankylosaur and his giant, T-Rex adoptive daddy. Aren’t they adorable? I couldn’t go past the utter cuteness of the little Ankylosaur and his
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
I thought that this book was okay. I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the story. I felt that the story read kind of flat. Also, I thought that the story was a little sad. It is about a baby Ankylosaurus, named Yummy, that is born alone in the world.

The first creature Yummy encounters is the Tyrannosaurus and the Tyrannosaurus wants to eat him. Then Yummy calls him daddy and tells him that he wants to be just like him. Tyrannosaurus finds that he cannot eat him. He ends up protecting him from other
Dahla
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In the ancient times, a Tyrannosaurus and an Ankylosaurus were met as a strong adult and an innocent baby. Tyrannosaurus got surprised by hearing that Ankylosaurus called him "Dad" while he was trying to eat the baby. However, Tyrannosaurus protected Ankylosaurus when the other dinosaur attacked, and worried when he couldn't find the baby in a morning. As days pass, Tyrannosaurus even taught the baby many things.

What I like the most is changing process of Tyrannosaurus's feelings toward the baby
Jezire C Akin
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Going into this I actually had pretty high expectations because it has sold so well over seas and I was excited they were bringing a version to the US. I have a nephew who loves dinosaurs so I decided this might make a good gift for him and wanted to check it out first.

I was not at all disappointed. This is a great book about the power of a father son relationship and I think it would actually be a really great book to share with your son or especially you
Suzanne
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya-kid-lit
In a case of mistaken identity similar to Are You My Mother? a baby ankylosaurus hatches out of his egg right in front of a hungry tyrannosaurus. "You look yummy," says the T-rex. The baby thinks that his name is Yummy and the T-rex is his daddy. What will become of our little friend? This is a great story for dinosaur lovers and fans of family stories.

The illustrations are fun and colorful. There are great sound effects written in like the "thwack" of the T-rex's tail smashing a tree or the "gu
Gina
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from NetGalley. I liked the illustrations which had a Haring and kokopelli sort of quality to them. It's a good introduction to dinosaurs that will inspire kids to learn more about the ones mentioned. There are some sad moments but also some funny moments. It's a sweet story about how babies can melt even the stoniest of hearts and the instinct to protect and teach and have children be happy. Kids and parents will be able to relate to the events that happen in the book as th ...more
Betsy
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this ebook in return for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

I thought this book was pretty cute. What the t-rex thinks will be an delicious snack becomes something he loves. The baby ankylosaurus thinks the t-rex is his daddy. Not only does the t-rex love the baby, but the baby loves his "daddy." In the end, Yummy is reunited with his actual family, t-rex had to let go, and that in itself shows how much he loved yummy.

I feel like this book would be a great one to re
Rachel
K - Gr 2- Fatherhood was not on the menu. When an unexpected turn of events lands Tyrannosaurus with a newborn Ankylosaurus, he feels compelled to take care of this innocent child. Not only does Yummy depend on this grey giant with multi-colour highlights, he looks up to him too, which imbues this foster father with the desire to not disappoint. Tyrannosaurus is one cool dad, defending Yummy from other dinosaurs, teaching him all he knows, and ultimately parting with him because its what's best ...more
Robin
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
When a baby Ankylosaurus hatches all alone, he mistakes the first dinosaur he sees for his daddy . . . a Tyrannosaurus. The T-Rex is drooling and says "you look yummy!" as he sees the baby dino. Yummy, cries Daddy . . . and the T-Rex is taken aback. The youngster wins over the carnivore in this unlikely tale, saying he wants to be just like him! The Tyrannosaurus protects Yummy, until one day he sends him off to find the appropriate family (in a surprisingly touching scene.)

Originally published
Kelly Ann Mangan
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
My son picked up this book because of the bright, vivid illustrations and bc he likes dinosaurs. We’ve read another of this author’s books, and I frankly have the same criticism of this one as the last one we read: it’s extremely dark and sad, & with themes of the child losing and/or being abandoned by their parent/caregiver. Any child that has attachment issues or separation anxiety should NOT read these books. I think they could be really disturbing/upsetting to some children.
Adrianna
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
So I picked this off the shelf at the library thinking it was going to be a funny little story about dinosaurs eating things. Then it turned out to be a heartwarming little story about mistaken identity... and *then* it turns out the last few pages pull the rug out from under you and rip you heart out. Read at your own risk.
Jj
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Golly, there certainly is a lot of food for thought here (yes, terrible pun fully intended). This would be a great one for a book discussion with kids and/or adults. I LOVE the art and the color palette, and the title alone should win an award in the category of "Best Title For a Book About Dinosaurs". I want to use this in a storytime and see what the kids think of it all.
Amanda Brooke
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: elementary-reads
My son is obsessed with Godzilla so I got a couple of these Miyanishi books at the library. He would not let me read them to him (he cannot read yet), but he insisted on reading them to himself in his head. I think he liked that the T-rex looks like Godzilla. The book is funny. Yummy is irresistible.
Courtney Baird
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet book that can show students that sometimes children are not raised by their birth parents. There will be students I have that are being raised by someone else and I need to be aware of that so I can provide them with a book that can show them that it is perfectly ok. This also shows the love between a father and a son is forever.
Amber
Apr 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
I mean when you look past the cuteness of Yummy what you have is an exceedingly dark tale about an adoptive father or non-biological father who leaves their child. O.o These messages are horrifying.
Born in 1956, Tatsuya Miyanishi graduated from the Nihon University College of Art and was a doll artist and graphic designer before becoming a picture-book author. Miyanishi's books have a passionate fan base of all ages that enjoys his range of endearing characters in many genres, from superheroes to dinosaurs, all illustrated with bright colors. He has won the Kodansha Cultural Award for Pictur ...more

Tyrannosaurus (6 books)