Start by marking “Brave As Can Be: A Book of Courage” as Want to Read:
Brave As Can Be: A Book of Courage

Brave As Can Be: A Book of Courage

An older sister explains to her younger sister all the things she used to be afraid of, along with some tricks to help, whether it’s a special blanket for bedtime or singing during a storm. Now, big sister assures little sister, the fears that once felt as big as a mountain feel as minuscule as a speck of dust.
Published September 8th 2015 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Brave As Can Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brave As Can Be

Alberto García
Primero de la serie que no me gusta. Las ilustraciones siguen en su línea, son sencillas, simpáticas y agradables. El problema está en el contenido, pues aún identificando los "mayores" miedos de los más pequeños de forma excelente, no ofrece en ningún momento un punto donde puedan aferrarse para entenderlos y/o afrontarlos... Es más, la reacción es casi siempre la huida de ellos, sin mayor capacidad de elaborarlos y empezar a superarlos. Debería ser un libro para desarrollar el coraje, no para ...more
Avonlea Rose
I thought the artwork in this book was cool and I liked the peepholes. For that alone, I'd like to rate it higher. But, although it was reasonably well-written, the author's message wasn't clear to me and it seemed the author forgot who their target audience is.

Is this book indeed intended for toddlers? Because the illustrations and writing seem to be more appropriate for a child who is a little older.

More importantly, what I can get of the author's ideas of bravery don't seem like the message
Kathryn
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A true gem of a children's book. The story itself, the layout of each page with little cutouts. Perfection.
Donna Mork
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute book talking about fears and overcoming them through coping mechanisms and just growing older and more mature.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute book for discussing fears and how to not be afraid.
Kelly
I liked the idea of the book. But the story was a little complicated for little ones, and some of the peek-through pages were tiny.
Katrina Clohessy
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
3.5 stars. Good concept for the story about overcoming your fears, but the story doesn't flow really well overall. Illustrations are interesting, look like doodles.
Jess El-Zeftawy
My 3 yo liked the cutouts that were peekaboos to the next page. The narrative seemed a little odd but the illustrations helped make it feel more whimsical.
Ryan
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated. Cute little book.
Amber George
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This book can be used to open up discussions about feeling scared. Children can follow the story line and give examples of things that scare them and descriptions of how they feel when they are scared. Children can draw pictures of things they are scared of and turn them into something funny. Children can also look at thinks from a different perspective and think of things that might be scared of them.
Katelyn Patterson
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Publisher: Abrams
2015

A little girl discusses her journey from from scaredy-cat to brave big kid. Roussey's illustrations are child-like and cute. The paper is strong and sturdy stock to accommodate the numerous peekaboo, die cut illustrations throughout. I can see how this story might be good for a child with numerous fears, but on the whole I was not that moved by the title.
Sadie Tucker
The text of this book is not particularly ground-breaking or clever. It does, however, tackle a common childhood experience (fear), communicating the message that this too shall pass. The creative cutouts and artwork go a long way towards redeeming the book's text, but it is still nothing to write home about.
Erin
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
*2.5 stars.

The illustrations made good use of peek-through windows, bold colors and shapes, and made frightening things less so. The text wasn't so much story as a catalog of fears, so that's where I found this not as engaging. As a stepping stone to discussing fears, I can see where this would be useful.
Nicole
The illustrations are fun and whimsical as a little girl takes the reader through her techniques to overcome her fears. She conquers nightmares, loud dogs, losing her mom in the store, etc. The tone of the book is very upbeat. But I think the examples are so specific, I'm unsure of how helpful the book is for kids facing a variety of fears.
Angie
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
If this book is for a toddler, it has entirely too many words. The message was good, but I don't see how it will find it's intended audience. I like the in-between pages when you're done with board books, but not ready for a paper book.
Stephanie
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a super cute book about facing your fears. Illustrations are fun and engaging since you can see through the pages and see what new forms her fears take. Good read for youngins that are dealing with fears.
Little Owl
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book that shows a girl dealing with different situations that scare her - bad dreams, getting separated from mom, a loud barking dog, etc.
X
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute picture book
Peacegal
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully creative illustrations.
Marcie
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was OK, but I like Bernard Waber's Courage much better.
Hallie Jackson
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars.
Lily
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
* review soon *
Anna
The kindergartner says to give this 4 stars, he likes how it is about courage.
I'd like to point out that sometimes dogs are scary for a reason, they are not always safe for children to pet...
Genevieve