Start by marking “Gingerbread Man (Nursery Rhyme Suspense #1)” as Want to Read:
Gingerbread Man (Nursery Rhyme Suspense #1)

Gingerbread Man

(A Nursery Rhyme Suspense #1)

When that cute chick you met online is murdered - but shows up for your next internet meeting anyway.

Marlow's just a regular geeky college freshman with little to no experience with girls, so when he has a semi-flirtatious chat with a cute girl online, it's almost more than his nerves can handle.

Then the girl is brutally murdered.

Or is she?

Marlow finds himself teamed up wi
Published March 1st 2015 by ESB Publishing (first published December 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Gingerbread Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gingerbread Man

Start your review of Gingerbread Man (Nursery Rhyme Suspense #1)
Linda Strong
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
3.5 Stars

Teagon and Sage are college roommates ... as different as night and day. Teagon is the nerdy one, the girl who stays in and studies. Sage is the party girl.

One weekend night Teagon meets Marlow .. in a chat room online. Marlow is also a nerd, but they get along well and it becomes almost a nightly 'date'. Sage has also talked Teagon into going out with her one night and there she meets Jake, a jock, who seems to be attracted to her.

At the same time there are several rapes on the college
JoAn
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
Gingerbread Man by Lee Strauss is a suspenseful YA with a definite twist of science fiction to add to the the story. The young men and women in the story are often quirky, strong, arrogant or likable depending on which universe/timeline you happen to be in which made this a intriguing read from start to finish.
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
The Gingerbread Man novella series is an amazing trio of books. I found each of the stories hard to put down once I started. They are full of suspense, mystery and even a smidge of romance. Strauss has another winner of a series on her hands right here.
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
This was a bit different for a mystery and even with this slight SyFy feel enjoyed it but I was a bit confused at the the beginning.

This is told in the POV of four different people, Teagan, Sage, Marlow and the Killer.

When Teagan and Marlow got online to check out the chat forum for their college they both received a shock, like a current went through the computer. They talk for a while and decide to met but when each goes to where they were suppose to meet they never see each other, she gets
Kelsey
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marlow and Teagen meet in a college chat room and become fast friends. But when Marlow starts saying some things that don’t add up, Teagen is sure he isn’t who he says he is. She is sure he is someone dangerous, and is the one responsible for the multiple serious crimes that are happening on campus. When Teagen falls victim to said crimes, Marlow has to team up with Teagen’s roommate Sage to solve the mystery and clear his name.

Ripe with mystery and intrigue, Gingerbread Man will keep you on th
Alicia Huxtable
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

This is a great read with a great storyline and equally great characters. It really drew me in from the start and had me not wanting to put it down
Tex
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Inconvenient Murder
(Disclaimer: I was provided a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.) Gingerbread Man: A Marlow a Sage Mystery Thriller a Nursery Rhyme Suspense Book 1 was a comforting bring a smile to your face read. At the end, I just sat for a while holding the book thinking “…comforting, very comforting…” Now, I know that is not the first thing that comes to mind for a mystery thriller but the main character, who in wanting desperately to solve a crime being committed is t
Renae Rogers
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gee, this was good. Because I download so much stuff through Bookbub, I've often completely forgotten what a book is about from the blurb I originally read by the time I get around to reading it. That was the case here. I was thinking, "College life stuff, OK. Not so sociable main characters, OK. Let's see where this goes." Sometimes I download New Adult books and that's all I thought this was when I began reading. Boy, was I wrong! There were twists aplenty and I was thoroughly entertained thro ...more
booknerd_dork
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
It was awesome!! Loved it! I by mistake read the second book in the series before this. So there were some things which confused me had been cleared after reading this. So I liked Marlow but now I adore him! He is cute and the plot is amazing.
Marlow jumping between the parallel worlds was cool and how he found about the Gingerbreadman. I got to know Teagan and Sage.
I was intimidated with the no. of chapters but when I came to know it was about Marlow and about what I missed in second book I got
BER
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interestingly different.

A budding romance on a college campus of students who are testing their independence wings morphs into a murder mystery morphs into....Gotta stop before I stumble into spoilers. Very, very good read that I couldn't put down and will quickly be buying the next one in the series. It is a stand alone story but definitely has the makings for more to come and is good enough that you want it to continue. Just read the first freebie and you'll be hooked too. Enjoy
Victoria Stolte
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This one was a very interesting take on the infamous nursery rhyme. The premise of the story grabbed me from the start and I found myself flipping through the pages dying to see where the story took me. With some twists and turns around every corner it left me trying to figure out who the bad guy was and I liked that. Not only do you get the thrill factor you also have some sci fi type elements in here as well. If you are ready for an adventure this story is definitely for you!
Martin Pingree
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a lot of fun to read. College kids, alternate universes and murder. What’s not to like ? Great cast of characters with a great story line.
Denise Gilliam
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading this type of book. I was ok for my first read. I was totally confused on the different worlds it was crazy but I caught on eventually. I will have to definitely read the next book to see if I wanna finish this series.
Namitha Varma
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, cosy-mystery
Teagan Lake meets Marlow Henry in an online chatroom, but when they try to meet in a cafe, they just cannot find each other. Meanwhile, Marlow hears that Teagan is raped and murdered. But then, she is online again. What the hell is happening? To find out more and save Teagan from a serial rapist and killer, Marlow crosses perceptible borders and teams up with her best friend Sage Farrell to save Teagan.

This was a unique book - a dystopian sci-fi crime thriller. I finished the book in 1 day. Ver
Lynn Hallbrooks
This is one of those books that can take you by surprise.

This is a mixture of Mystery and Science Fiction genres.

Sage and her roommate, Teagan, have been friends for a long time. Now that they are in college, Sage wants to spread her wings a little. So while Sage is out, Teagan began an anonymous conversation online. Marlow happens to be the one that Teagan picked out from the chat forum. Little did either of them know how intertwined their worlds would become.

I really enjoyed the way Mr. Straus
Maari
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a twist!!
This book had me from the first sentence! I am not sure how to go about describing anything, for fear (no pun intended) of giving anything away. This book was amazing! I love a good suspense, by far that is my favorite genre, and this book does not disappoint at all! Throw in the twist on it, and knowing that it must be one of a series, I am all for finding the next and reading on! Well done, Ms. Strauss! I'd love to see this made into a movie.
Paula Adams
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is kind of different from what I usually read. Yes it has a murder, actually a serial killer. The thing is it has a parallel universe or should I say 2. It all takes place on a college campus. Has all the same characters/students in each parallel. Each one is different, one is very different. Has me wondering if Marlow (he's the one that can some how go to the parallel universes) does this again in the other books in the series. ...more
Pauline Ross
This one took me by surprise. Because I’d downloaded it for free some time back (more than a year ago, in fact), I had no idea why I’d been attracted to it or even what sort of book it was. I simply opened it and began to read, and at first it seemed like fairly standard fare: a college campus, some geeky students doing typical geeky student things, a rape, a murder, bla bla. And then things veered sharply off in a very different direction and I got interested.

It’s not surprising I was confused
Chazzi
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is told by the four main characters; Teagon, Sage, Marlow and the murderer.

Teagon and Sage are friends from childhood who are now sharing a dorm room at college. Teagon is an Art major and on the nerdy side. Sage is more outgoing and social.

Marlow is a science major and is rooming with his friend Zed Zabinski. The two aren't great looking, or have much experience with girls or social situations...they are geeks!

Teagon and Marlow meet in an online chat room and strike up a friendship. It is
Rita
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book but it is rather unnerving too. Can we be in several demenions at the same time?? Wait is this for real?!? I couldn’t get my head wrapped around the idea that two young people could be talking on an online site and be in two different dementions at the same time. This story is certainly entertaining and intriguing as we read about this idea. Our scientists have been discussing the idea of parallel dementions for years and years. Are there more levels to our world than we real ...more
Donna
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Nursery Rhymes Suspense Series. It is so different and unusual in its encapsulation of murder-mystery, thriller-suspense, time travel and alternative reality elements, all in one story - but done in a way that is seamless and still flows well. And the main body of the story is still very realistic, as are each of the alternative realities, so it makes it more feasible (if that makes sense!).
I really enjoyed this book, which was excellently written and features reali
Lisa Denn
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gingerbread Man (A Nursery Rhyme Suspense #1) is written by Lee Strauss. Strauss, a new author to me, has certainly gotten my attention after reading this book.

The characters were well developed and shared similiar personalities you would expect to find with college students in the real world.

As the story takes place in three different realms kudos go out to Strauss for creating three separate and realistic worlds where the same characters exist with subtle differences in their personalities de
Anne Rightler
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Gingerbread Man by Lee Strauss is part of her Nursery Rhyme Suspense series. I usually read the back of the book blurb but for some reason did not on this book, so I was quite surprised to find the story was kind of a sci-fi take on parallel worlds. I really enjoyed it. Set in Detroit on a college campus, there is murder and mayhem happening and a nerdy geek, Marlow, is our hero. There is lots of suspense as Marlow struggles to solve the mystery of who the killer is and as he finds himself in di ...more
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I want to emphasize that this is a YA Novel, clean of any graphic scenes and even the rapes are only mentioned.

The story is told by four characters: Teagan, Sage, Marlow and @gingerbreadman. I rated it four stars because, at a certain point, I had trouble following the different POV’s and had to go back to check who was talking and, most importantly, where was talking from.

At some point in the story things started happening and it was clear to me that something fishy was going on with Teagan and
Liz Etnyre
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting premise, with reasonably interesting people. Just when you thing "WTF? Does this author need a better editor or do they just not care about continuity?" the twist makes it all work! Definitely YA - but not angsty, so I did enjoy it!

I also have the short story, 'I Spy With My Little Eye' - and, yes, you should read Gingerbread Man first. 3.5 stars, could have been fleshed out a wee bit more (I'm talking a half dozen paragraphs at most, but some things I had to re-read to get the gist
Mary Lou Webb
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Ms. Strauss' books, and this one is no exception. About a third to a half of the way in, the story took a turn I didn't expect. I wasn't sure, at first, if I liked the new direction, but it turned out to be intriguing and well thought out. A touch of science (and science fiction) takes the story of a serial killer to a who!me new level. Kudos to the author for catching my attention so thoroughly!

If you like a mystery with a few quirks and turns, give this first book in a new series a ch
Regina
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Geeks and mysteries and parallel universes, oh my!

Interesting world(s), and I really like Marlowe and Sage as main characters, they work well together. Bonus points for a geeky hero (yay!). The combination of mystery, sci-fi and a bit of a romance absolutely hits the spot for me. :)

I had one minor issue at first, though: I found the change of POV a bit confusing - not that there *were* four character POVs, but that they changed between 1st and 3rd person, depending on whose POV it was.

All in a
Rick  Farlee
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Customer

Interesting Concept

Reviewed in the United States on January 16, 2021
Verified Purchase

This is an interesting storyline about different dimensions with the characters having the ability to move between the alternate worlds... Unfortunately, virtually all of the characters are teenagers which relates to a much younger audience. This is a murder mystery for young adults...
Lorraine
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An AWESOME read!!

A totally can't put down, until done read!! Intriguing story about moving thru other dimensions. Marlow, a young guy in college, connects online with a girl, that turns out to be in another dimension, and is in danger. Can Marlow help her? You'll just have to read, to find out!!
Julie Balzum
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it. I got kind of confused early on, but I quickly figured out what was going on. I'm disappointed that one character is gone and won't be in any future books; I have to say that character was my favorite. But I do recommend this book. Be warned, though, it's sci-fi, not really a mystery, so if you don't like sci-fi, I suggest avoiding this one. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• DRY BONES a cozy murder mystery (Village Mysteries Book 3)
  • Murder at Enderley Hall (Miss Underhay Mysteries #2)
  • Three Silent Things (Village Mysteries Book 2)
  • Murder at the Manor (Tommy & Evelyn Christie #1)
  • Old Soldiers Never Die (Village Mysteries #1 )
  • Murder at the Lighthouse (Exham on Sea Mysteries #1)
  • A Dangerous Duet
  • A Shot in the Bark: A Dog Park Mystery
  • Call Me Cat (Call Me Cat Trilogy, #1)
  • Unseemly Pursuits (Concordia Wells Mystery, #2)
  • Mystery at Apple Tree Cottage (Eve Mallow Mystery #2)
  • A Lady in the Smoke: A Victorian Mystery
  • Justice & Jealousy (Amelia Lucas, #0.5)
  • This Same Earth (Elemental Mysteries, #2)
  • A Friend of Silence (Roger and Bess Mystery #1)
  • A Fall of Water (Elemental Mysteries #4)
  • The Morrigna (Maurin Kincaide #1)
  • Murder & Mayhem in Goose Pimple Junction (Goose Pimple Junction #1)
See top shelves…
For fans of Golden Age who-dun-its ~ from a USA TODAY Bestselling author!

You'll adore Lady Gold from the acclaimed Ginger Gold Mysteries series, and the spin of series, Higgins & Hawke.

Look for the connected 1950s era ROSA REED MYSTERIES!

Sign up for Lee's newsletter and get EXCLUSIVE access to Ginger Gold's Journal AND a Rosa Reed prequel short story!

A Nursery Rhyme Suspense (4 books)
  • Life is But a Dream (A Nursery Rhyme Suspense #2)
  • Hickory Dickory Dock (A Nursery Rhyme Suspense #3)
  • Twinkle Little Star (A Nursery Rhyme Suspense #4)

News & Interviews