Start by marking “God: As He Longs for You to See Him” as Want to Read:
God: As He Longs for You to See Him

God: As He Longs for You to See Him

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  250 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
See God for Who He Is, Not What You Think He Ought To Be

Anyone who has tried to describe God to someone else, especially an unbeliever, knows that it is easy to find yourself at a loss for words. It seems that this part of our lives, which we claim is central, is often difficult to put into words. But if you know God, shouldn't you be able to describe him? What is he like?
Published February 1st 2006 by Baker Books (first published July 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God

Josh Wilson
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Chip Ingram, God: As He Longs For You to See Him
Chip Ingram leans heavily on other authors in his devotionally oriented introduction to Theology Proper, God: As He Longs for You to See Him. Ingram begins with a person anecdote in which he describes his introduction to Tozer’s book Knowledge of the Holy while on a mission trip. With glowing praise, Ingram describes the impact the book had on his life and makes the argument that and individual’s worldview is shaped by their understanding of God.
Elenareads
Aug 02, 2011 marked it as to-read
I've added this to my devotional time and find that it is best used that way rather than a straight read. The book offers a lot of opportunities to dig into the word and pray and to meditate for days on concepts such as wisdom and love. Very good book!
Jessica Furlong
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book for those who want to know God more intimately.
AnaLisa Black
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book!! So insightful!! I've read this book so many times!! I love chip Ingram!
Jocelin
I thought this was a very interesting book. This is a good book for new christians, seekers & those wanting to familiarize themselves with Chip Ingram. The book really started off good for me but, somehow I was looking for a little more sustenance. If I were a newer Christian it would be very engaging. Mr. Ingram keeps it light & easy. I wanted more depth. He is a great writer and the book was very easy to get into. This book could be a great starter for discussion groups. If you are see ...more
Karen
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Actually -- although my "books list" does not show it, I started this book in September with a group of women from my church. It's a great study and we had wonderful discussion around the table. It doesn't cover all the attributes of God. (Could any book do that?! He's incomprehensible!) But I am encouraged by this study to look for His attributes every day and to give God glory in the presence of others for who He is in my life.
Sarah Webber
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
This is an excellent book for a group Bible study and necessarily written to the level of everyone. But I was impressed by how Ingram explained complex concepts succinctly and even if his personal examples seemed cliche, they were still effective. Lots of good stuff here, especially for group discussions.
John Bechtold
Chip Ingram provides a good study of several different aspects of God. He expounds on some of the lessons he learned from AW Tozer.

His goal is to get our knowledge of God to move from our head into our hearts.

It was a good book to read together with a group of friends and discuss.
Rick
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This one just didn't scratch where I itch. Its hard to give 2 stars to a book on getting a better view of God, but I almost did. A bit too formulaic. He often quoted Tozer [Knowledge of the Holy] and Packer [Knowing God]. Either make for much stronger reading than this one.
Janet
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
I've given this book away to many people. It cherry-picks from A. W. Tozer's book "The Knowledge of the Holy" and expands on how these attributes of God changed Chip Ingram's life. After you finish it, you may want to pick up Tozer's book to really make you think.
Nicole
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic book for new to old Christians. I highly recommend it. The only reason I gave it four stars is because it could drag on occasion. But the spiritual growth I gained was greatly worth it.
Cheryl Salto
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
life changer
Dennis Thurman
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good practical study. Well illustrated.
Andrea
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!! Whether you've known God for a long time or are just curious about Him, this book will open your eyes to the goodness and powerfulness of our amazing Creator!
Therese
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Greatness!
Dan
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very simple read and a great outline of some specific attributes of God. It's not super in-depth, but a great overview of who God is.
Stephanie Blake
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am still reading this book, but love it. He liberally quotes from A. W. Tozer and J. I. Packer who also wrote great books on the attributes of God.
Denice
Awesome
Boook ! Great writer
Randy
May 14, 2010 rated it liked it
A pretty well done book overall. Inspiring and will make you think.
Nicole Knox
Nov 21, 2013
Natalie
Jul 18, 2015
  • Letters to a Young Pastor
  • Named By God: Overcoming Your Past, Transforming Your Present, Embracing Your Future
  • Safe in the Shepherd's Arms
  • God Will Make a Way: What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do
  • Life of St. Francis of Assisi
  • Falling in Love with Jesus: Abandoning Yourself to the Greatest Romance of Your Life
  • The Grace of God
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions: Workbook
  • Astonished: Recapturing the Wonder, Awe, and Mystery of Life with God
  • Battle Ready: Prepare to Be Used by God (Bold Man Of God, #1)
  • Impact My Life:  Biblical Mentoring Simplified
  • Pure Eyes: A Man's Guide to Sexual Integrity
  • No More Christian Nice Girl: When Just Being Nice--Instead of Good--Hurts You, Your Family, and Your Friends
  • From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God
  • Beautiful Battle: A Woman's Guide to Spiritual Warfare
  • The Two Covenants
  • The Eyes of the Heart: Seeing God's Hand in the Everyday Moments of Life
  • The Ways of God (Finding Purpose Through Your Pain)
Chip Ingram is the senior pastor of Venture Christian Church in Los Gatos, California, and president of Living on the Edge, an international teaching and discipleship ministry. A pastor for over twenty-five years, Chip has a unique ability to communicate truth and challenge people to live out their faith. Chip is author of twelve books, including Overcoming Emotions that Destroy; God: As He Longs ...more
More about Chip Ingram

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
“The goodness of God is that which disposes Him to be kind, cordial, benevolent, and full of good will toward men. He is tenderhearted and of quick sympathy, and His unfailing attitude toward all moral beings is open, frank, and friendly. By His nature He is inclined to bestow blessedness and He takes total pleasure in the happiness of His people.1” 0 likes
“What comes to our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.1” 0 likes