Start by marking “Blood Sisters (Katie Maguire, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Sisters (Katie Maguire, #5)

Blood Sisters

(Katie Maguire #5)

Katie Maguire hunts a serial killer targeting nuns in the gruesome new thriller from Graham Masterton.

In a nursing home on the outskirts of Cork, an elderly nun lies dead. She has been suffocated. It looks like a mercy-killing - until another sister from the same convent is found viciously murdered, floating in the Glashaboy river.

The nuns were good women, doing God's wo

Published June 1st 2015 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about Blood Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Sisters

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Blood Sisters is book 5 in the Katie Maguire series. I haven't previous read any books in this series, but it was no problem getting into the story and I never felt confused with past events since everything was explained well during the book.

DS Katie Maguire must catch a killer that torture and kill nuns. The question is why are the nuns killed, is is because of something in the past. Then a jawbone of a child is found in the garden of the convent. Could the finding have anything to do with the
Linda Strong
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
DS Katie Maguire is a complicated woman. Being a female in the Guarda brings its own set of problems, but she seems to be handling that quite well. She is trusted and respected. It's her personal life that would confuse most people. She has a lover, who has left her once and then come back. And while he was gone, she had a one night stand with a neighbor (now deceased) and is pregnant by him. And then there's that attraction to another woman .. one of her colleagues.

So while her personal life is
Rob Twinem
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have a real problem with Katie Maguire, for a high ranking police officer she is so tangled and confused.....

She love’s John? or does she? John loves her? or does he? John may want to live with her in Ireland or may want to move to San Francisco and indulge his pastime within a global pharmaceutical empire? He moves to San Francisco and then moves back! Katie is pregnant but the baby is not John’s rather her next door neighbour who she became intimate with when John decided to go Stateside....
Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: BLOOD SISTERS by Graham Masterton
Release: Feb. 1 2016

The newest engrossing mystery in the Detective Superintendent Katie Maguire of Cork, Ireland, series, has Katie firmly on the horns of a monstrous dilemma in her personal life, a situation that she will find reflected in one of her newest cases--actually multiple cases, both present and past, all focused on the same Irish
convent, Bon Saveurs. As someone--or more than one--brutally murder aged retired nuns, always showcasing each killi
Susan Angela Wallace
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Blood sisters by Graham Masterton.
The nuns were good women, doing God's work. Why would anyone want to kill them? But then a child's skull is unearthed in the garden of the nuns' convent, and DS Katie Maguire discovers a fifty year old secret that just might lead her t
Petra
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Over the last month, I have listened to/read the Katie Maguire series in publication order and Blood Sisters, book 5, will have been my last one for a while, I think.
Blood Sisters continues from where Taken for Dead left off. Katie is still dealing with the fallout from previous cases and her private life is anything but settled. John is back, but Katie avoids telling him about her pregnancy. Professionally, she is investigating the horrific deaths of 23 horses as well as the murder of a nun.
The
Christy
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This is book #5 in the Katie Maguire series and it will help to have read the previous stories, but is by no means essential as major events are recapped. She is an Irish Detective Superintendent whose character and personality I really admire. A kickass lady who won't put up with anything, has had to fight to be respected in a male-dominated career, but who isn't afraid to show her fragile side as well. I would describe this series as "character driven crime", with more time being spent on Kati ...more
David Highton
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Latest in the Katie Maguire series - two allied plots plus a lot going on in Katie's personal life. Good police procedural but somehow not quite driving the narrative for me, especially in the first half
Kate
Not the book for me.
Christine
I always claim I cut my horror teeth with “that other author” but Graham Masterton and his Manitou were right there in the mix. With that being said it does not surprise me that his crime novel had some of the more “creative” murders (is it even okay to say that?) I have come across in quite some time (maybe ever).

I’ve never read one of Graham Masterton’s crime novels before so it seems rather unusual to start with the 5th book in the Katie Maguire series but I enjoyed the book and had no probl
Zoë
Jan 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Alright, so I wished for this book on NetGalley and I was so happy when I was granted the book. I read some of Masterton's work when I was younger, and I remember enjoying what I did read, so to find new stuff was pretty cool. However, things didn't go quite as I had planned or hoped. I was not a fan of the writing style at all. It annoyed me endlessly. Then there was the issue of character naming. Just call the characters on their surnames or their names, not their entire title, name, surname a ...more
Breakaway Reviewers
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Blood Sisters – Graham Masterton. 4 stars

A little irritating at times

This is the fifth in the Katie Maguire series. Many people will have read all the stories of the Irish Detective Superintendent so will be familiar with the set up. Possibly as I am not a lover of the horror genre I have not previously read any Graham Masterton books but shall look out for them in future.

It’s understandable that many dislike reading a series of books in the wrong order although this is a stand alone story and
Tobin Elliott
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, fiction, horror
This one was just kind of a whole big bag of meh for me.

It certainly checked off all the boxes:
- Crazed killer who actually prefers to torture and mutilate first? Check.
- Crazed killer has an anti-religion bias? Check.
- Crazed killer is killing due to a decades-old slight against them? Check.
- A current or former cop has a personal vendetta against Katie? Check.
- At least one current or former cop dies in the line of duty? Check.
- Current or former cop that dies is "far too young" to die? Check.
Emma
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
I was drawn straight into the action with a murder (the nun) and a mystery (the skull). Katie is a well rounded character. I liked her a lot as a person, though she doesn’t always seem to have the best judgement, and I found the descriptions of what it is like for her to be a woman in the Irish Garda interesting – I can’t believe it is as sexist in real life as Masterton makes out but if it is it’s shocking that this is the case in this day and age!

I would like to see other characters filled out
CL
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Besides the serial killer targeting nuns there are the attempts on Katie Maguire's life and the suicide that turns into a murder of the only witness for the prostitution ring Katie is trying to put a stop to. The horses driven off a cliff to their deaths to what end and who did they belong to. Then there is her pregnancy. Great read. I would like to thank the publisher and Net Galley for the chance to read this ARC.
Patricia
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, ireland
Two mass murders, under-age prostitution, the slaughter of race horses, and police corruption are being investigated by Kate Maguire and her team at the Garda in Cork, Ireland. As the story unfolds the disparate events coalesce and a terror-filled picture emerges. A glossary explaining Irish jargon would have been helpful.

No graphic sex or violence
Heather Fineisen
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I really like this series. It's pretty graphic so if blood and guts and brain matter bother you, you may want to pass. This book deals with dead horses and dead nuns and Katie' s usual nemesis. Some cases are solved and then there's a damn cliffhanger... Another good one.
Hilde
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
I love Katie Maguire. The books are clever and original. I only wish Mr Masterton could write faster.
Julie Kellner
Nov 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A disappointing novel from one of my favourite authors. I hope this series improves
Sharon
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This is book #5 is the Katie McGuire series. I have read the previous books in the series, but it has been a while so it took myself a while to remember the different characters. I have enjoyed some of the other books in the series so was keen to read this one. It can be read as a standalone book as past events from the other books have been explained well.

Katie is investigating the deaths of 23 horses and also the death of a nun. It does go straight into the horses deaths, which was quite shock
Plum-crazy
Katie Maguire is by no means my favourite of Masterton's characters - I feel like I could give her a right good shake at times, she is a bit of a mess let's be honest - & while I prefer his horror tales I still love this crime series. I love Masterton's style, straight into the story, no messing about & some good horrific murders....nuns being murdered in a fashion that imitates the death of their favourite Saint. Gruesome, cruel yet inventive Masterton delivered again for me, so another ...more
Steph
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first time reading any books by this author or in this series and to say I loved it would be an understatement as I've just ordered the next two in the series from my library.
I really liked Katie Maguire as a person in her personal and professional roles and I liked her team and colleagues, there are plenty of them so plenty of other opinions and drama.
I thoroughly enjoyed the plot about someone killing nuns, it was gruesome and horrible the way they were killed and even though they
Aoife
Jan 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
dnf at 12%

At that point, I had learned

- that Katie had a miscarriage a while ago
- she is now pregnant again
- but not by her boyfriend but by a neighbor with whom she had a one-night-stand during a 'it's complicated' phase of their relationship
- neighbor was also a violent asshole
- he still jumped in front of a bullet for her and is now dead
- she has not yet told bf about the pregnancy
- but she knows she has to
- but she can't
- got a recap of all the previous cases Katie solved
- she really can't t
Ian Mapp
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Another OTT installment in the Katie Maguire Series.

The body count is that high in this one that if it were real, the army would have been called in to restore order.

Three threads - each given a similar amount of space - racing horses found run from a cliff time and dead on a beach. Someone abducting nuns and killing them in a style that exceeds "Se7en". The world's worst sniper taking pots shots at Katie and inevitably killing someone else.

Over the requisite 460 pages, all gets wrapped up, reas
Balthazar Lawson
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Katie Maguire series is a continuing story with one book leading off where the previous finished with the addition of a series of brutal crimes thrown into the mix. In this book the brutal murder of a nun is just the beginning of a series of gruesome murders. Overlaying this is the day to day pressure of leading a personal life away from work. Something that is not easy when there is one hurdle after another being thrown her way to happiness. And then there is the problem of trying to be a f ...more
Joe Geesin
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A story of vengeance and deception within the convent community, with some quite nasty endings and the hands of those they once helped. And links to dodgy goings on with the horse training fraternity. As well written as ever, and an undercurrent of back stories that link to previous books and will draw you into forthcoming parts of the story, making the whole set-up engrossing. Some great dialog and descriptions. The only concern is the number of colleagues past and present falling by the waysid ...more
Ann Tonks
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
In some ways I wish I'd read some of the earlier books in this series because there was enough back story in this one that I fear there won't be any surprises. And on the other hand, I don't know whether I do want to read any more because the level of violence in this one felt quite gratuitous. However, I did enjoy the richness of Irish phrases and words which gave the story, its own oddly poetic momentum.
John Morris
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a story!

This was one hell of a story and kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. We had a flying nun, a roasted nun, corrupt police officers, race horses cruelly killed and hundreds of dead babies discovered in a convent garden. Add to the mix a former "fallen woman" seeking sadistic revenge on the nuns who had made her early life a misery and you have a cocktail of horror only Graham Masterton could imagine. Excellent!
Suzi (Soozandherbooks)
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-reads
I generally like the Katie Maguire series, they're fairly well written, interesting, fast paced, etc. however this one just missed the mark for me. I cannot deal with cruelty to animals, even in a fictional story. It just upsets me to no end, so despite this novel involving a few linked story lines that one just didn't sit well with me and I did not enjoy it much for that reason.
Gail Mchugh
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really liked Katie. After the last book, I had to stop reading for a week or two. Now this one is worse, animals dying...un huh, not for me. Poor John, I feel really sorry for him. Whatever happened to our great Katie? I loved reading about her. I do not even know who she is anymore. Too bad. She was a really great heroine.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Stress Fracture (Dub Walker, #1)
  • The Camelot Code
  • The Cipher Garden (Lake District Mystery #2)
  • The Impaler (Sam Markham, #2)
  • Psycho: Sanitarium
  • Paving the New Road (Rowland Sinclair #4)
  • Daredevil vs. Punisher: Means and Ends
  • Texas Chainsaw Mantis
  • The Bones Beneath (Tom Thorne, #12)
  • Measureless Night (Detective Ash Rashid #4)
  • Shadows of Death (Dorothy Martin #14)
  • Beyond Evidence (Patrick McLaughlin, #1)
  • The Wildman
  • Black Water
  • DarkNet
  • Driftleven
  • Purity
  • Legacy of Hunger (Druid's Brooch #1)
Graham Masterton was born in Edinburgh in 1946. His grandfather was Thomas Thorne Baker, the eminent scientist who invented DayGlo and was the first man to transmit news photographs by wireless. After training as a newspaper reporter, Graham went on to edit the new British men's magazine Mayfair, where he encouraged William Burroughs to develop a series of scientific and philosophical articles whi ...more

Katie Maguire (10 books)
  • A Terrible Beauty (Katie Maguire, #1)
  • Broken Angels (Katie Maguire, #2)
  • Red Light (Katie Maguire #3)
  • Taken for Dead (Katie Maguire, #4)
  • Buried (Katie Maguire, #6)
  • Living Death (Katie Maguire, #7)
  • Dead Girls Dancing (Katie Maguire, #8)
  • Dead Men Whistling (Katie Maguire, #9)
  • Begging to Die (Katie Maguire, #10)