Start by marking “Lost Stars” as Want to Read:
Lost Stars

Lost Stars (Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  14,001 Ratings  ·  2,037 Reviews
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…

Eight years after the fall of the Old Republic, the Galactic Empire now reigns over the known galaxy. Resistance to the Empire has been all but silenced. Only a few courageous leaders such as Bail Organa of Alderaan still dare to openly oppose Emperor Palpatine.

After years of defiance, the many worlds at the edge of the Outer Rim h
Published September 4th 2015 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

To ask other readers questions about Lost Stars, please sign up.
Nathan Schubert I felt the same. I have only read a mere dozen of the Star Wars books, but this one absolutely blew me away with it's scope and depth, action, and…moreI felt the same. I have only read a mere dozen of the Star Wars books, but this one absolutely blew me away with it's scope and depth, action, and love, all rolled into one amazing package, (with the hints of movie #7 a nice bow on top.)

I will definitely need to put Dark Disciple near the top of my Star Wars list if it is even half as good as this book.

P.S. I hope Thane and Ciena get at least some small mention in the 7th, (or 8th,9th) movie.(less)
Andy Reynolds One of the characters refers to a plan as being "dumb-ass" at one point, which is the only swearing I remember.

The sex is being slightly overstated.…more

The sex is being slightly overstated. There are two instances, but everything beyond brief mentions of kissing happens off-page, and the references made to it after the fact are mostly about the emotional impact.

If those three things give you pause, you may want to consider the other Journey to Star Wars books: Moving Target, The Weapon of a Jedi, and Smuggler's Run, which are written specifically for the 10-14 range.(less)

Khurram
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. Very rarely do you get book that manages to tick every box. This is a love story, but this is not a fluffy story, both the characters are likeable, intelligent and principled. In fact all the characters are written very well, to the point that as a reader I was invested in each character, even the side characters. The book has great character development, and the story is set across the whole original trilogy and finishes a year after Return of the Jedi.

Usually in stories l
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
*Uses a Jedi mind-trick*

You will buy this book.

You will read this book.

And you will love this book.

Convinced yet?

*is forcibly removed from the room*

Ok, my Jedi skills are a bit rusty. Moving on. I think you should give the Lost Stars a shot. It's a perfect mix of sci-fi, romance and heroic fantasy. And it's Star Wars.

“Look through my eyes...”

tumblr_omckl0o_Rs_O1r9xerro5_500

P.S. 2Pac returning as a Force ghost is my new aesthetic.

jy_Le_Vv_W
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/11/09/r...

And to think, I almost gave this one a pass when I was compiling a list of books I wanted to read from the new Star Wars canon. What a mistake that would have been. Yes, this is categorized as Young Adult, but to be sure, this is not the kind of Star Wars YA from the old EU when the stories tended to lean more towards middle-grade audiences and few children’s series stood out strongly enough to make an impression. Lost S
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-wars
(I'd give this a 4.5 if I could).

Wow. This one kind of came out of nowhere! I was so disappointed and let down with Aftermath that I didn't really think I had it in me to try another new Star Wars books so soon.

Am I ever glad I did.

What can I say? I loved everything about this book!

The story has two points of view. We follow, and skip between, Thane Kyrell and Ciena Ree. Both of who, by the end of the book, I adore just as much as any of the classic cast from the movies.

The timeline covers eve
Bookdragon Sean
The Imperial training academy is an attractive place for naïve youngsters. For those that have never left their home-worlds, the magnificent space craft and disciplined soldiers look like a thing of wonder. They do not understand the harsh blood price the brutal Empire exacts; thus, Thane and Ciena are enamoured by the dreams of glory Tarkin gives them. They see the Empire as a machine, a mechanism of control, order and stability. And they want in.

“He and the girl ran inside, where everything w
Terence
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many of the major events of the original Star Wars trilogy are experienced through two childhood friends, Ciena Ree and Thane Kyrell. Ciena and Thane are life long friends who find themselves on opposite sides of war.

Lost Stars covers the lives of Ciena and Thane who happen to have been born the same time as the Empire. Their story starts at age 8 and continues on until after the end of Return of the Jedi. The story was good, but I was expecting more.

The biggest surprise I experienced in this st
On a cold, remote, seemingly backward planet with two distinct, isolationist cultures, a boy and a girl, he a settler and her a native, dream of being TIE pilots for the mighty Galactic Empire. Thane Kyrell and Ciena Ree won’t let anything get in the way of their shared dream. But while they are strong together in the face of disapproval from their families and snobbery at their imperial piloting academy, they break apart when confronted with proof of the Empire’s evil. Thane, the firebrand, can ...more
Bradley
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, space-opera
This novel went down very smooth, with two well-drawn characters destined to be best friends, lovers, and eventually bitter enemies. What could make it better? Being in the Star Wars universe with cameo appearances of both iconic characters and situations.

But, you ask, "But wouldn't that take away from the impact of a well-drawn adventure following these two children well into adulthood?" And I reply, "No, not really, unless you're a die-hard snob who believes that an entirely new worldbuilding
❂ Sam ❂
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In a lot of ways, Lost Stars is perhaps the perfect Star Wars book. If nothing else it's easily my favorite book in the new Star Wars canon and perhaps my favorite Star Wars book in general. As someone who grew up on the old extended universe, that's saying a lot. But I mean every word of what I've said. Lost Stars is everything I ever wanted from a Star Wars book.

The author does a fantastic job of inventing her own story while fitting it seamlessly into the Star Wars narrative. She creates two
Justine
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2018-read
This is the third of the canon books I have read, the other two being Rebel Rising and Leia: Princess of Alderaan (also by Claudia Gray), and I enjoyed it just as much as those previous two books. In Lost Stars I loved the overlap touching on events in A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, and also the setup event the remnants of which make an appearance in The Force Awakens. I liked the story a lot: childhood friends Ciena Ree and Thane Kyrell train and enter Imperial ser ...more
Kyra (Book Allure)
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves, my-husbands
STAR WARS + ROMEO AND JULIET + CLAUDIA GRAY = EPIC

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW OF THIS BOOK SOONER??!??!!???!!!!!

EDIT 12/26/2015

THIS BOOK IS AMAZING! I love how there are some snippets into The Force Awakens. This book is so smart and brilliantly written. I also highly recommend the audiobook. It features the iconic Star Wars scores and it was an amazing production. I am blown away.

Ashley
So, this book basically came out of nowhere, right?

I only heard about it a couple of months ago thanks to some GR friends, all of whom were also completely surprised by how good this book was. (Granted, I think a lot of them don't regularly read YA and might be unaware of some of the wonderful authors currently working in the genre.) But still. Even with all of those reviews, the book still managed to surprise me. Because what's so surprising about it isn't that it's good, but HOW it's good.

The
Melissa
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

I need moooooorrrreeeeeeeeeeee.
Alex
Oct 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, star-wars
I was a little disgusted with this book.

No, actually, I was very disgusted with this book.

If I was presented with an action-adventure novel wherein the main character was an apologist for Hioroshima and Nagasaki and throughout that novel kept saying things like "well, the US were only trying to prevent further death and stop the war from escalating" I would probably take that book and rip out every single page individually before setting it on fire.

Herein one of our two main characters is a Deat
Rob
Executive Summary: Young Adult Romance is not my thing, and I probably would have enjoyed this one more if that wasn't the main plotline.

Audiobook: Like all Star Wars audiobooks, you get music and sound effects. That kind of thing annoys me in general, but seems to work well for Star Wars books. Pierce Cravens isn't nearly as good as Marc Thompson, but he's decent. His normal reading voice seems more appropriate for this book anyways.

Full Review
I was reluctant to pick this one up knowing it wa
Chris (The Genre Fiend)
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted here at Geek of Oz.

Other 'Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens reviews':
Star Wars: Aftermath

---

The acronym 'YA' (Young Adult) carries a bit of a stigma in some literary circles. As the median between kids' and 'adult books, YA can be seen as softer, less interesting and only appealing to a niche demographic of teens and early 20s. That is, it can be seen as such if you're not willing to ignore such rigid styles of classification and enjoy a book entirely on its own me
Joe
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was very hesitant to pick this one up. I literally just got done reading "Aftermath" and got burned by that books crappiness in a big way. Plus, this book is "YA" and I usually avoid those because I'm not Y (or necessarily an A but I digress). Also, I looked up Claudia Gray's other books and they look like YA romance books that are the one genre that I consistently avoid.

Well, I'm glad I forced those issues out of my mind and picked up the book. (See what I did there? Man, I'm clever!) "Lost S
Stephanie
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars, ya-mg
Oh wait there was a romance in this?

I was distracted by the horrifying Life and Times of Nash Windrider
Raoofa Ibrahim
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
actual rating:4.5
This book is a must for every Star Wars fan!
you need to watch episode 4,5,6 to read this book.

We have 2 characters who lives in Jelucan :
Thane
and Ciena
description
their dream is to be an Imperial officers.
They'll work hard to make their dream come true, practicing together as a pilot and copilot. then will come the tests to know which academy they'll be accepted in.

*at an imperial party

After being accepted in the academy and become a real lieutenant, things begin to change, no simulators
Shadowdenizen
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
Wow. This title ranks up there with the Darth Bane: Star Wars 3-Book Bundle: Path of Destruction, Rule of Two, Dynasty of Evil trilogy as some of the best Star Wars fiction I've read. (I'll even go a step further, and say that this is not just a good "Star Wars" novel, this is a great novel overall.)

Though I wasn't familiar with her before, having read this makes me more interested in her other works (which is amongs the highest praise I can give an author.)

Claudia Gray knows her way around the
Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥
Oh.my.gosh. This book was.so.tedious.

And somehow still infuriating.

Ciena's cultural beliefs were so stupid! Sooo, you think so highly of yourself that you are willing to sacrifice thousands of lives just to avoid breaking a promise you don't even believe in because you think it will make you look bad? Just kill me.

And this was pretty much the basis of the whole book, Thane and Ciena not being able to be together because of their different values. I honestly don't know if that kind of love is ev
Milo (BOK)
The Review Can Also Be Found Here: https://thefictionalhangoutsite.wordp...

I’ve been looking to find this book for ages and was finally able to get ahold of a copy whilst I was in the Forbidden Planet Store in London, I knew It would take me long to start reading and I quickly devoured through its pages on the journey home, and was really blown away by what may be the best Star Wars novel from the new Expanded Universe so far.

The book itself adopts a very Romeo and Juliet feel to Star Wars as it
Brierly
Lost Stars is a new adult novel set in the Star Wars universe. By setting this novel in a well-established canon, Gray doesn't need much exposition. Because of this, Lost Stars features events from the original Star Wars trilogy as well as events leading up to Episode VII. Characters like Tarkin and Darth Vader appear, because both main characters are in training to be Imperial officers.

It's a star-crossed love story, so barriers separate Thane and Ciena throughout the narrative. First, they are
Victoria (victoriashaz)
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really great! Gray did an amazing job with the atmosphere and pacing. One of the better Star Wars books I've read.
Maria Dimitrova
Lost Stars blew my mind! It's great. The story, the characters all were perfect. I got hooked from the beginning. This just proves that you can come up with a whole new set of characters and still get the hardcore fan love them as much as the ones from the movies. Startegic cameos from the later remind you that the novel is part of a larger universe. The way the characters react to the events from the old trilogy birngs a new dept to the familiar story but the most important to me was the fact t ...more
Ryan Michael
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
More like 3.5 stars

This is only the second Star Wars novel I have read in the new canon (the other being Lords of the Sith). I have to admit I didn't like it quite as much as some others who have read it, but it was definitely an enjoyable read. It was well written and I am glad Claudia Gray is writing the next in the line of canon novels "Bloodlines." I am very much looking forward to learning more about the stories leading up to The Force Awakens. I recommend for anyone looking to get into the
Shaun Hutchinson
I've never read any of the Star Wars expanded universe books, but a friend told me I had to read this book by Claudia Gray, and it was wonderful. It was a behind-the-scenes look at the events of the original trilogy through the eyes of two best friends who both join the Imperial academy, but wind up taking very different paths. The story is fantastic, and while it's grounded in the events of the original trilogy, it doesn't overwhelm the story.

If you enjoy Star Wars, I think you'll really love
Neil Coulter
Oct 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, star-wars

I gave one star to Divergent and Hunger Games, and I consider the film Titanic as 194 minutes of my life wasted. In short: I am not the target audience for Claudia Gray's Lost Stars. I am, however, a big Star Wars fan, and have been since almost the beginning (I was 2 in 1977; I caught up as soon as I could, and I have no memories of life before Star Wars). I really want the fictional world of Star Wars to be as good as it can be, and I'm disappointed by books, movies, or other media that don't

C.T. Phipps
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LOST STARS is the chronicles of the treacherous Thane Kyrell, murderous rebel and terrorist, who betrays the courageous Imperial officer Ciena Ree. Ciena Ree overcomes her budding attraction for the charismatic sociopath and shows the people of the galaxy her tireless loyalty to the values of Emperor Palpatine's New Order.

*ahem*

Oh, sorry, that's my inner Imperial leaking out. Lost Stars is a Young Adult novel about two childhood friends who find themselves on opposite sides of the Galactic Civ
Sci-fi and Heroic...: * Lost Stars by Claudia Gray 9 24 Jun 27, 2018 11:38AM
Understanding?? 6 62 Apr 24, 2018 07:27AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Lost Stars 1 2 Oct 31, 2017 09:24AM
Star Wars Book Club: October's Book 1 10 Oct 26, 2016 10:32AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Star Wars: Lost Stars 1 7 Aug 26, 2016 03:53PM
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Twilight Company (Star Wars: Battlefront, #1)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • Lords of the Sith (Star Wars)
  • The Last Padawan (Star Wars: Kanan, #1)
  • Life Debt (Star Wars: Aftermath, #2)
  • Tarkin (Star Wars)
  • Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon (Star Wars #2)
  • The Perfect Weapon
  • A New Hope - The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (Star Wars: Episode IV)
  • Return of the Jedi - Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (Star Wars: Episode VI)
  • Dark Disciple (Star Wars)
  • Heir to the Jedi (Star Wars)
  • Vader (Star Wars: Darth Vader, #1)
Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actual ...more
More about Claudia Gray

Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Aftermath (Star Wars: Aftermath, #1)
  • The Perfect Weapon
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Shattered Empire (Star Wars)
  • C-3PO - The Phantom Limb (Star Wars)
  • High Noon on Jakku
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • The Face of Evil

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Believing in something greater than ourselves isn’t crazy. It’s proof we’re sane. Look how vast the galaxy is. Don’t you have to admit we can’t be the greatest power within it?” 20 likes
“Sometimes we're loyal to more than one thing. When there's a conflict, we have to choose which loyalty to honor.” 9 likes