Start by marking “Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure” as Want to Read:
Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure

Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure

(Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Reeling from their disastrous defeat on Hoth, the heroic freedom fighters of the REBEL ALLIANCE have scattered throughout space, pursued by the agents of the sinister GALACTIC EMPIRE.

One rebel task force protects PRINCESS LEIA, bearing her in secrecy from star to star. As the last survivor of Alderaan's House of Organa, Leia is a
Published September 4th 2015 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

To ask other readers questions about Moving Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Target

Laura Bang
A look at one of Leia's missions between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. I quite liked the characterization of Leia and her crewmembers are pretty interesting too. As is pointed out several times in the story, they are fighting a war and that means a lot of tough decisions, and I think this book did a good job of portraying that (while staying acceptable for its middle grade/YA target audience).

I totally bought this on release day just to do my part for "Hell yeah Leia is awesome ple
Donna
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I enjoy Star Wars books, but this one was not one of my favorites. I did the audio and usually that is a plus for these books, but I didn't care for the narrator. She couldn't quite get the voices down. The story also felt a little one dimensional and it felt overly orchestrated. This was probably 2.5 stars but I'll round up to 3 stars.
Sesana
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good. Yes, it's a YA book, but it doesn't pull many more punches than I remember "adult" EU books doing. Castellucci is very blunt about this being war, with sacrifices being required on scales large and small. Leia's arc is really about just how much sacrifice is acceptable, both sacrifices she'll ask others to make and the ones she'll make herself. And it actually does fill a bit of a hole left behind in the original trilogy: what was Leia doing while Lando and Chewie were trackin ...more
Scott Rhee
“Moving Target” is another book in the current “new canon” of Star Wars novels released as lead-ins and tie-ins to the new movie “The Force Awakens”. It is written by Cecil Castellucci and Jason Fry, whose other contribution to the new canon, “The Weapon of a Jedi”, was mediocre at best.

“Moving Target” is somewhat better than the previous novel but not by much. Set between “The Empire Strikes Back” and “The Return of the Jedi”, “Moving Target” follows Princess Leia as she leads a small group thr
victoria.p
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that's what I'm talking about! This story had real stakes and real consequences, and Leia had to make some difficult decisions. The best of the three new books about the OT trio. I also really liked that it acknowledged the trauma Leia experienced while imprisoned on the Death Star.
Daniel
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jos jedna zabavna pričica. Ali nekako najnaivnija od ove tri. Sama Leja je fino prikazana i njena unutrašnja borba i sumnje su dosta fino realizovane. Ostali likovi su zabavni ali dosta jednodimenzionalni, skoro karikature.

Nije loše ali možete slobodno zaobići.
Tiara
Read more reviews @ The BiblioSanctum.

3.5 stars. Much like Smuggler’s Run, this story features an older Leia relating a story back to another party prior to the events in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. In this case, it’s a droid attempting to work on a memoir about one of the most important members of the rebellion. Set between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, Princess Leia is the last surviving member of House Organa, and finds herself learning to embrace a new role as a rebellion
Stephanie
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Aaron
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great filler for the Star Wars saga. Perfect for kids with its tame language and avoidance of carnage. Mature readers would probably rate this lower, but the intended audience of 8-12 year olds will thoroughly enjoy this and thus receives a 4 star rating. I must admit I pilfered this from my youngest son's collection, a reward he received from our local library's summer reading challenge.
Maria Dimitrova
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the prologue and epilogue best. They're good teasers for the upcoming film. However I found the core story lacking. It was too rushed - too many events on too few pages. There was no time for the characters to fully develop or for the reader to come to care for them. Thankfully there were some familiar faces to make up for that. Otherwise the story was good and it gave us a glimpse of Leia's internal battle - duty vs love. It fits well within the overall story. If you're not a hardcore f ...more
OwlBeReading
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
These books are amazing! Especially this one. I loved the writing and it showed a different side of Leia which I found out that I really liked. The epilogue is spectacular and the drawings, done by a guy my mom knew, are so perfectly drawn it makes the book even better. Read this book! May the Force be with you!
Drewthereader19
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This book was a great book! Really great start to November! Overall rating: 4.5 stars!(:
DiscoSpacePanther
Star Wars: Moving Target - A Princess Leia Adventure is one of the four kids’ novels in the Journey to Star Wars: the Force Awakens series, and is therefore one of the earliest entries in the new canon. It tells the story of a covert Rebel disinformation mission involving Princess Leia shortly before the beginning of Return of the Jedi.

The characterisation of Leia is spot on - an inspiring leader as well as a plucky adventurer who has no qualms about dispatching a stormtrooper in cold blood - s
Jena
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was absolutely fantastic. Gave Leia some nice emotional depth while introducing compelling new characters and adding stakes that felt real. Highly recommend for someone who hasn't read any EU books who loves Leia and wants somewhere to start.
Lady*M

The book is set between The Empire Strike Back and The Return of the Jedi. Out of the three new junior novels, Moving Target is the most complicated in terms morality, personal responsibility and sacrifice.

After seeing people getting hurt while protecting her and learning about the existence of the second Death Star, Leia comes up with the plan to draw the Imperial forces to the other side of the galaxy so that the Rebellion can gather its forces in secret. She poses as a recruiter for
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Moving Target is a middle grade novel focusing on Princess Leia and takes places between Empire and Return.

The Rebel Alliance has just learned of the second Death Star, and they need a plan…and Leia has one. This story is rather short but it focuses on Leia’s plan to become a moving target for the Empire to focus on while the Rebellion readies itself for another go at destroying the power of the Imperial fleet. We also get to see Nein Nub, and three new characters help her along the way. Leia is
Linda
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this one more than Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure, it had a bit darker feel to it (which makes it feel less YA-ish) and more known characters (well, some - Nien Nunb and Mon Mothma). It did get a bit too whiney at times though.

Highlighted funny quote:
"What a ridiculous sentiment. 'Adventures' is just a different name for 'terrible ideas'"

Highlighted serious quote:
"But you can't let your grief stop you from living. I've learned that. We have to live for those we'v
Книжни Криле
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
На 27 декември 2016, на 60 годишна възраст завинаги ни напусна актрисата Кери Фишър, изиграла безсмъртия образ на принцеса Лея в поредицата „Междузвездни Войни”. Макар, че за милиони фенове и киномани по света името й винаги ще се асоциира със Star Wars, Кери Фишър се изявява и като сценарист и писател. Смелата й и борбена героиня, вдъхновение за няколко поколения, ще продължава да живее на екрана, както и в многото истории от Разширетана вселена. Като последно сбогом с Кери Фишър, днес публикув ...more
DarkChaplain
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, star-wars
If this is what passes as a junior novel in the new canon, I am actually impressed and looking forward to reading more of them instead of shrugging them off as lower quality.

This story delivers an entertaining party, a well-executed chase, moral deliberations and plenty of drama from start to finish. It does a fantastic job moving Leia from The Empire Strikes Back to Return of the Jedi, while making the rebellion appear diverse in motivations and outlooks, but united in a common purpose.
A solid,
Patricia
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-star-wars
A really good story. I like the characterization of Leia and the connection to the movies is done well. Not very catching but a fast and easy read.
Diana
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the best Leia I've read, with some nice callbacks to the Leia miniseries. Also, it made me really want a political thriller starring Mon Mothma set between ROTS and ANH
Luce
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars, 2016
4.5 stars :D
Jerry
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting and exciting space opera story...but with too much wasted space.
Marco
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I am fond of the Star Wars fictional universe: I have a nostalgic attachment to it (I still remember watching "a new home" as a kid at an outdoor movie theater on a hot Italian summer night), and despite some drops in quality along the way (e.g. The Phantom Menace), recent installments like Rogue One, The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi are much better than the original series.
Because of this fondness, I started reading some of Star Wars books. The quality of the ones I read so far has been, he
Phil
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this book for two reasons: one is that I need material for the Princess Leia doctorate I am pursuing, and the other is that the events take place between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Firstly, I did learn more about Princess Leia, although not to the degree of Claudia Gray's "Bloodline" and "Leia," and secondly the plot of the novel isn't as exciting as it hoped, and it only nominally ties together Empire and Jedi. To be fair, the book is intended for younger readers, and ...more
Nicis
I think this one (and Rey's story in Before the Awakening) are my favorites of this Journey to TFA young-ish series. Leia feels so Leia in this, all the "Han is trapped in carbonite" thoughts vs. the "my duty to the Alliance", the Alderaan memories, the Luke intervention with her thinking about how different their conection is, Nien Nunb being the pilot! and the rest of the secondary characters that I actually cared about by the time I reached the end. I just loved this whole adventure, even if ...more
Lois
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good - felt like that maybe they could have taken out one of the planet missions, making it feel longer than it needed to be, but maybe in the end they all were necessary (which is why I'm not an author).
Emily
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of Leia’s adventures between Empire and Return of the Jedi. The part with the bats nearly did me in. Ew!!!!
Chuy Ruiz
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Fun little read. A story set between Episode V and VI, about the preparations and mission leading up the battle of Endor.
Star Wars Bookwor...: Moving Target 5 38 Feb 24, 2016 04:46PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Razor's Edge V's Moving Target 3 30 Nov 21, 2015 01:52PM
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Return of the Jedi - Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (Star Wars: Episode VI)
  • The Perfect Weapon
  • A New Hope - The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (Star Wars: Episode IV)
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)
  • Uprising (Star Wars Rebel Force, #6)
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Kanan, Vol. 1: The Last Padawan
  • Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Star Wars)
  • The Escape (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #0)
  • Twilight Company (Star Wars: Battlefront, #1)
  • The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (Star Wars)
Cecil Castellucci is an author of young adult novels and comic books. Titles include Boy Proof, The Year of the Beasts (illustrated by Nate Powell), First Day on Earth, Rose Sees Red, Beige, The Queen of Cool The Plain Janes and Janes in Love (illustrated by Jim Rugg), Tin Star Stone in the Sky, Odd Duck (illustrated by Sara Varon) and Star Wars: Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure.

Her short

Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Aftermath (Star Wars: Aftermath, #1)
  • Lost Stars (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: C-3PO - The Phantom Limb
  • High Noon on Jakku
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • The Face of Evil
“What a ridiculous sentiment. ‘Adventures’ is just a different name for ‘terrible ideas.” 6 likes
“quadrupeds” 0 likes