Start by marking “I Really Like Slop! (Elephant & Piggie, #24)” as Want to Read:
I Really Like Slop! (Elephant & Piggie, #24)

I Really Like Slop!

(Elephant & Piggie #24)

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends. In I Really Like Slop!, Piggie invites Gerald to try her favorite food . . . slop. But Gerald is not so sure he's going to like it. At all.
Published October 27th 2015 by Hyperion Books for Children

Matt
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mo Willems reminds his young readers that it is always nice to try new foods, even if you do not like them. When Piggie arrives with a huge pail of slop, Gerald is extremely disinterested. However, Piggie raves all about a pig's favourite food, slop! Hesitantly, Gerald inches it closer to his mouth, trunk quivering, until he places a pea-sized bit of slop onto his tongue. The reaction is amazing and is sure to thrill the reader. Neo has tried many foods, some he likes and others not up his alley ...more
Heidi-Marie
Score. Again. Is there ever a question on that? I like this one with the friendship aspect, as well as the don't give an opinion on something until you try it. I've always felt that way--especially with food!

11/5/18-11/7/18 Had outreach visits to school classes. I ended up reading this one to most of the classes because they were younger and needed less time to look for books (or they got too loud and antsy). Can't remember which ones, but the grades I covered were 1, 2, 3, and 5. Pretty sure al
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What do you do when your best friend doesn't like the same food that you do? Great book - I am now a big fan of Elephant & Piggie!
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Always delightful & fun. I can't get enough Elephant & Piggie.
Marieke
Little guy likes to quote this book: “don’t push it, bub.”
Let me explain the very specific reason I only give this title three stars:

Elephant and Piggie books are fantastic - it's a great series and I've spent hours pouring over the pages with kids. But I need to put in a caution specifically for my students: in this book, Piggie makes slop, a culturally important pig dish, which apparently smells terrible and really throws Gerald for a loop. A yellow, polka-dotted loop, to be precise.

My Korean ELL students are already so self-conscious about kimchi,
Elizabeth S
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot about how strong food can change your coloring in AMAZING ways. :)
Kim
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really like Elephant and Piggie!
Cheryl
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
"The flies are how you know it's ripe." I'm not so sure that Green Eggs and Ham isn't still the best, what with the rhymes that are so fun to say and all, but this shorter story on the theme is a killer, too.
Michele Knott
How does Mo Willems do it? He gets it right every time. When I read the last page, I couldn't even read it out loud because I was laughing so hard.
Kristen
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader, humor
I Really Like Mo Willems!
Lisa
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy
I really like Elephant & Piggie!
Carrie Gelson
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Charming, as usual.
Jack Herbert Christal Gattanella
Who doesn't?

A pig is really excited about the slop hes made and offers it to his friend. He is hesitant and critical but does try it. What happens from there?

This is a simple yet effective little tale about the lesson of trying something new because, hey, a friend made it so it may be worth trying. Just don't push it, Bub...
Curtis Edmonds
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We read lots of Elephant and Piggie books in our house, and this is easily the best one in years. Not to give too much of the plot away, but Piggie has made some excellent slop (as a celebration of "pig culture," don't you know) and Elephant Gerald (say it three times fast) is very leery of trying it, and hurts Piggie's feelings in the process.

I do (almost) all the cooking at our house, and I made just a glorious chicken fettuccine Alfredo night before last (boneless Perdue chicken thighs, duste
Becky
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: La! La! La! Hi, Gerald! Hi, Piggie! Yikes! What is that?! THIS is slop!

Premise/plot: Gerald and Piggie are best friends. Piggie really, really, REALLY loves slop. Gerald, well, let's just say that he thinks it smells HORRIBLE. Absolutely horrible. Can Piggie get Gerald to try slop? Will he survive the experience?

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one very much. I did. One person's idea of "yummy, yummy" food MIGHT just be another person's idea of slop. Though in this instance, it is ac
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Although unlike Gerald I have never tried slop, I think it is a safe bet to say I don't like it either. But I really loved this book! :) Mo Willems has hit another home run. While our friends might like their own unique foods (like Piggie's love of slop) we don't have to love their food, to love them. Gerald tries Piggie's favorite food, because while he thinks slop looks and smells horrendous (flies!!!), he loves Piggie and tries it for his sake. Another great Elephant and Piggie book about the ...more
Jill
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this one because it's Piggie's turn to be a little bit clueless--she doesn't quite get why someone who is not a pig wouldn't love slop. I also loved all the colors Gerald turned after he tried it. For someone who has food issues (phobias are the best way to describe it) that's usually how I feel before I try something new/gross/stinky/delicious!
Jenna
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Silly and fun, as are all of the Elephant and Piggie books. This one didn't have the same amount of repetition in regards to wording, but I'm sure the kids will have gigglefits during Gerald's reaction to the delicious slop (it appears very Looney-Tunes in nature). Don't think I'll read this for story time, as it's a bit hard to act out and I wouldn't want to fall off my chair..
Viviane Elbee
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was a funny book. We have read several Piggie and Elephant books and they are all funny.

The kids thought the disgusting slop food was very funny.

I think I prefer some of the other books to this one (like "Today I will Fly" and "We are in a Book").
Amy-Lynn
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What more can I say ~ I REALLY liked This Book!
Dominika Mat
Świnka Malinka i Słoń Leon to przesympatyczne postacie, z którymi nasza czteroletnia Alicja zaprzyjaźniła się dzięki tytułom "Złamałem trąbę" oraz "Mieszkamy w książce".

Tym razem wesoła para przyjaciół będzie musiała przejść pewną próbę ich relacji, ponieważ zakochana w intensywnych smakach i zapachach Świnka chce podzielić się przyrządzoną przez siebie potrawą z Leonem. Słoń broni się rękami, nogami i trąbą przed mało wyrafinowanym według niego daniem, natomiast im bardziej on się wykręca, tym
Meredith
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Gerald encounters Piggie carrying a bowl of slop and is completely repulsed. Piggie lovingly explains all about slop and its importance to “pig culture” and offers Gerald a taste. Gerald responds with a forceful no, but when he realizes that he has hurt Piggie’s feelings, he agrees to try a small bite of slop. Gerald’s reaction is truly fantastic. In the end, he tells Piggie that although he doesn’t like slop, he does like her, thus reaffirming their friendship.

The moral of the story is 1) to de
Red
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book too many times. My younger brother loves all of the Elephant and piggie books. but this is by far his favorite. The only book that might give it a run for its money would be I Will Take A Nap. (#23 in this series) I like this book very much even after reading it, probably over a hundred times. It is quite hard to get tired of it. It Is still my favorite E&P book.
Taija
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Eating slop is part of pig culture." 😂😂😂
Kristin Nelson
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The most colorful Elephant and Piggie book I've read! Great facial expressions and a couple good messages (try new foods, do something for a friend) that don't feel forced. Plus a good ending! 😄
Kareena
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite elephant and Piggie books! So silly!
Lizzy Seitz
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ME AF TRYING TO GET MY FRIENDS TO TRY THE THINGS I COOK LOL
Sonja
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Great illustrations! So fun!
Anna
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Attempted murder is no laughing matter
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)
  • The Good for Nothing Button (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #3)
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • My Toothbrush Is Missing (The Giggle Gang, #4)
  • Duck, Duck, Porcupine! (Duck, Duck, Porcupine)
  • Fox & Chick: The Party: and Other Stories
  • What This Story Needs Is a Pig in a Wig
  • Snail & Worm Again (Snail & Worm, #2)
  • The Itchy Book! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #5)
  • Don't Throw It to Mo!
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Turn the Page
  • Charlie & Mouse (Charlie & Mouse, #1)
  • Bink and Gollie: Best Friends Forever (Bink & Gollie, #3)
  • King & Kayla and the Case of the Missing Dog Treats (King & Kayla, #1)
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • A Pig, a Fox, and a Box
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)