Start by marking “Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet” as Want to Read:
Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet

Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet

Entrepreneur Jesse Itzler chronicles his month of living and extreme fitness training with a Navy SEAL in the New York Times and #1 LA Times bestseller LIVING WITH A SEAL, now with two bonus chapters.
Entrepreneur Jesse Itzler will try almost anything. His life is about being bold and risky. So when Jesse felt himself drifting on autopilot, he hired a rather unconventional
Published November 3rd 2015 by Center Street

To ask other readers questions about Living with a SEAL, please sign up.
Richard Koo The identity of the SEAL was revealed in the book in the chapter titled "SEAL: Revealed", which appeared after the Epilogue chapter. The SEAL was…moreThe identity of the SEAL was revealed in the book in the chapter titled "SEAL: Revealed", which appeared after the Epilogue chapter. The SEAL was indeed David Goggins. (less)

Start your review of Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet
Lola
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, memoir
I decided to step out of my comfort zone and read this book because, after all, that is exactly what Jesse Itzler does by inviting a Navy SEAL into his house to train him and push his limits.

This is more like the type of book my brother would read, and honestly the first self help book I ever held in my hands, but I’m so extremely glad that I gave it a chance.

It was entertaining, original, heart-warming and inspiring without ever trying to be. Usually, books that are marketed as ‘‘inspiring’’
Greg
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
At one point at BEA I’m pretty sure this book was sitting on a table for Hachette’s Christian imprint. I might be mistaken though.

I don’t really know why I picked this one up. I remember showing it to Karen and saying something like, look it’s a hipster who lives with a Navy SEAL for a month. I was thinking some kind of Perfect Strangers / Odd Couple type thing.

I almost left the book at BEA when I was culling from what my greedy hands had grabbed and I was trying to figure out how I could
Heidi The Reader
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jesse Itzler leads an interesting life. As a successful businessman and entrepreneur, his off-the-wall ideas for solving difficult situations and for stirring the pot have served him very well. In this book, Living with a SEAL, he documents a month of training with a real life SEAL (who is called just "SEAL" throughout the book). The workouts were insane, potentially life threatening, but Jesse achieved some astonishing results in a very short period of time. He also bonded with his trainer and ...more
Rebecca Miller
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
You know the "College Girls are Easy" song? Well this book is by the guy that did that song. And apparently he's married to the lady who invented Spanx. And well, he hired a Navy SEAL to come live with him and train him. I had high hopes for this book, but it was super repetitive and lot of whiny rich, white guy stuff. The bright spot was that I learned how intense SEALs are and there were some funny quotes at the beginning of the chapters.
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was laugh-out-loud funny, and also surprisingly inspiring.
Dillon
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a quick read and a lot of fun. Some key takeaways for me:
- it's important to do hard things
- push-ups are a great form of exercise
- routine and complacency can prevent progress
- you're never done when you think you are. There's always something left in the tank.
- you can always work harder, and always be better (granted basic good health)
The narrative was hilarious and I enjoyed Jesse Itzler's memoir bits. That guy's lived an interesting life. The whole premise of the month is
Paul
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Early in my reading of Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods," I found myself thinking, "I should walk the Appalachian Trail!" A few chapters later, after learning of Bryson's hiking, sweating, and chafing experience, all I could think was, "Screw that. I'll stay indoors, thank you very much."

I had a similar experience reading Jesse Itzler's informative, inspiring and hilarious fitness memoir, "Living with a SEAL."

Itzler is a compulsively motivated human being who has achieved crazy success in
Inez
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok

Fun book - worth reading if you want a laugh, but all the exercise gets repetitive and dull after awhile. I guess this is what you do when you have too much money. Jesse is a funny fella though, which makes this strange experience entertaining.

Spending a month with David Goggin would annoy the crap out of me; is there actually anything going on upstairs or is he an android?

Also Jesse's life is somewhat nauseating: the NYC apartment, the private driver, the private jets, the houses in
Ron Hekier
Apr 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Opportunity lost. A training log with nothing deep to offer.

A promising premise with no introspection and no development. The book primarily consists of log entries for 31 days. "Today I ran. I thought I would die and 6 hours later SEAL made me run again....I did so many push-ups my shoulders hurt. They hurt a lot. Let me tell you, my shoulders hurt." Utterly lacking in insight or reflection upon the month spent living with a SEAL. For similar effect one can find a rigorous training log on the
Bud Hennekes
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some solid personal growth nuggets.

Literally made me laugh out loud, which is something I don't often do.

Easy read, but super glad I did.
Philip Parker
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed out Loud a lot reading this book and I found it to be a quick and Fun read. I liked the learnings from Seal and how he lived such a Simple life. He just gets things done.
Brandon Jones
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was entertaining but not motivational, I was hoping it would be both. Oddly the most interesting part of the book was reading about Jesse's own personal life. I'm sure living with a SEAL would be the experience of a lifetime but reading about long runs and burpees isn't all that interesting.
Isaac
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Half funny anecdotes about his interactions with SEAL, half autobiographical. The former is hilarious and entertaining. The latter is tolerable.

You aren't going to learn anything life changing here, but you will likely find yourself amused during the couple of hours it takes to read through this short book.
G.M. Burrow
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, military
One of the most memorable books I've ever read. Ultra-marathoner Jesse Itzler might be crazy, hiring a SEAL to train him for a month. SEAL is even crazier. His identity remains a secret for most of the book (so I won't spoil it) but he really is the toughest man on the planet.

I bought this based on a single story: I heard that SEAL had initially caught Itzler's eye by running a 100-mile race in 24 hours (solo) during which he broke several metatarsals in both feet and was urinating blood due to
Olha
Jan 06, 2020 added it
This book is really fun. It feels like trolling over-trained people while respecting them. E.g. one chapter was about bleeding nuts during six-mile run .

I had some new cool stories to tell my friends, but then I've understood I don't want to finish the book. These cool stories aren't worth the real experience .

And this book is a perfect source for learning American English, like the book "Lean In".
Christian Faller
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
An instant favorite. I was hooked by this book the second I opened it on my Kindle and I finished it in one sitting. It is hilarious to read, yet it contains valuable applicable advice. And it motivates the heck out of you. I am sure I will be back to re-read this book numerous times in the future. Highly recommend it!
Ben Pomeranets
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible book that opened my eyes to true dedication. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Collin
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed it. Interesting to see two completely different worlds come together. Good eye opener for what the body is actually capable of
Stephydmd
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I want to be SEAL’s friend. Humorous and motivational for marathon motivation!
JackTheBooks
(3.50/5.00) Great book that made me laugh out loud (belly laugh) many times. Overall, there were some slow parts and a lot of, “he wanted to run so we ran” that takes UO 2-3 pages but worth the journey. David Goggins is an animal!
Johan Nguyen
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SEAL in this book has earned my full respect and credit
Crystal West
SEAL of approval...but I have so many questions.

It's weird that Jesse chose to not name Goggins. Maybe Goggins requested that or preferred that? He is truly an unconventional man, so that could be the case. Or maybe they had to anonymize it to distance themselves from the Navy for legal reasons? I found it distracting from the start, and honestly spent the whole time reading this wondering the reason. To me, not identifying Goggins outright was the antithesis of marketing, from someone like
Jetlir
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sick Book!
Legendary Stories and most of all inspiring!
Jacques Bezuidenhout
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just "ok". Not quite what I expected from this book. Expectation was more on the inspired/motivated side, which is not the case at all.

My biggest gripe with the book is probably that I didn't like Jessie.
Kudos for all his accomplishments in life, business etc. But damn.
The narration of this audiobook done by the author didn't sound professional at all. And using his own voice didn't really add a sense of going through the story with him either.
He comes across as a rich kid (although older than
Evonne
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
My husband wanted to read this, so I ordered it online and breezed through it in half a day. It's easy to read and entertaining, but Jesse's big ego and constant bragging took away from a lot of the better aspects of the book. The Navy SEAL, as portrayed in this book, is both inspiring and concerning. It sounds as though he is not at all adjusted to civilian life, which at times was funny but more often uncomfortable. It's hard to relate to either man individually, but overall the overarching ...more
Joe Noto
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-own, favorites
I'm shocked much I enjoyed this book. cannot find a flaw. Jesse writes like he speaks, so this was incredibly readable. The story is awe inspiring and found myself rooting for Jesse immediately and bowing to SEAL, while getting motivated myself. I really want to do 1000 pushups in one day now! Can't run a 1/4th of what they ran with my bad knees, but I can do squats or lunges definitely. I respect SEAL and am envious of his lifestyle, drive, philosophy, and abilities. Both Jesse and SEAL have me ...more
Shannon Enloe
Alternately titled - I have more money than you and I want to brag so I’ll write a book you’ll think you want to read.
Heads up to anyone just now picking this book up. Save yourself the time, money, eyerolls... and go read David Goggins book “Can’t Hurt Me”. A true five star worthy book compared to this... like comparing a juicy bison burger to a microwaved morning star veggie burger. If you’ve read the book that last line will make sense
Leah
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super motivational with some humor. Almost makes me want to sign up for another marathon... almost.
Sharathkumar
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I read this year. It gives you some of the best life lessons in humorous way.
I loved this book and I hope learning from this book serve me as bacon during my tough times.
Nadeen
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jesse Itzler was no stranger to physical fitness; he had already run numerous marathons when he decided he wanted to do more; he wanted to challenge himself. And trust me, he is not one to shy from challenges. He co-founded Marquis Jets after starting out as a rapper, song writer and music entrepreneur. Add to that the fact he is married to Sara Blakely, founder of Spanx, and suffice it to say, cost was not a consideration when he set out to up his physical fitness. What he did though might ...more

• Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • Finding Ultra, Revised and Updated Edition: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
  • Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win
  • Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World
  • The Dichotomy of Leadership: Balancing the Challenges of Extreme Ownership to Lead and Win
  • Fit for Life
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail
  • Six Days of Impossible: Navy SEAL Hell Week - A Doctor Looks Back
  • Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual
  • Attitude 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance
  • Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner
  • 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- And How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!
  • The World's Fittest Book: How to train for anything and everything, anywhere and everywhere
  • Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
  • What Doesn't Kill Us: How Freezing Water, Extreme Altitude and Environmental Conditioning will Renew our Lost Evolutionary Strength
  • Blowing My Cover: My Life as a CIA Spy
JESSE ITZLER only eats fruit 'til noon, loves Run-D.M.C., and enjoys living life "out of the box." In fact, he doesn't even have a box. The author of the New York Times bestseller, Living with a Seal, cofounded Marquis Jet, the world's largest private jet card company which he and his partner sold to Berkshire Hathaway/NetJets. Jesse then partnered with Zico coconut water, which he and his partner ...more
“I don’t stop when I’m tired. I stop when I’m done. —SEAL” 15 likes
“SEAL, I have a problem,” I say to him. “I didn’t bring any extra underwear.” “So what?” “I can’t run without underwear.” “Nah, bro, you can’t run without legs. It’s on.” 14 likes