Start by marking “Amazed by Grace” as Want to Read:
Amazed by Grace

Amazed by Grace

4.66  ·  Rating details ·  680 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews

Do we believe we are saved by grace? With access to sacred scripture and modern revelation, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ought to have special insight into the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the amazing power of grace in our individual lives. Yet how many of us truly understand grace and how to unlock the power it contains?

In Amazed by Grace, a

Published March 2nd 2015 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about Amazed by Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazed by Grace

Kathy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Man what a gem! This is likely from a women's conference or time out for women talk. It's about the right length to have been a talk converted into a book. It's one I want to reread. Grace seems to always be an elusive concept to me. This puts it so simply.

Content: obviously a Christian/LDS title
Julie
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves-to-re-read
Sheri Dew is like the Holland of female speakers, am I right? Her messages are full of the inspiring "meat" that simultaneously cuts me to the quick and inspires me to do/be better. This is short, but well worth the read. Grace is a beautiful thing, and a power we can access at any time. Great read!
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Amazed by Grace was such a wonderfully uplifting book. It expanded my knowledge of grace and reminded me of what I already know. It strengthened my beliefs and my desire to do as I should and to rest my troubles, challenges, and weaknesses where I should, with the Savior. I loved what it focused on: "what is grace," "what difference can grace make in our lives," "how does the Savior make His power available to us," and "what must we do to gain access to that power?" Each section was short, sweet ...more
Courtney Hatch
I freaking love Sheri Dew.
Jenny
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
This is short, but it is a gem. It helped me understand grace better than I have before. I love the pages with quotes with illustrations behind them. I think nearly every page had a quote that stood out to me. Here are just a few that I want to remember.

"The Savior empowers us with His grace, not because we've earned it but because He loves us perfectly." (12)

**I love the idea of replacing the word grace with the term enabling power.

"When we feel unexplainable peace or hope, love or strength, wh
Michelle Llewellyn
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Only 69 pages long and chock-full of little bits of wisdom and good advice from Sheri Dew, this handy little book is a very easy read. In a religion that places so much emphasis on good works and accountability, grace is a topic that most members of the church have no idea how to approach.
Four questions about grace are addressed: What is grace? What difference does grace make in my life? How does the Savior make (grace) available to us? How do we gain access to it (grace)?
The simple answer to a
Ryan Stoddard
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you read something from Sheri Dew you can pretty much guarantee that it will be powerful and that you almost have to underline every sentence. This is no exception. The message is short, but the impact lasting and inspiring. Grace is a subject that I have often neglected and taken for granted. This book dramatically shifted my perspective and opened my understanding and knowledge on this miraculous doctrine.
Melanie
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, lds, nonfiction
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It's a small volume, so I expected a fluffy book filled with feel-good quotes. Instead it's a pithy discussion of grace and what it means to be a disciple. I have read some of the material before in Sheri Dew's talks at Women's Conference, so it's not all new material, but it is a worthwhile read.
Lenora
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great insight and explanation on Grace and a recommended read in my books. Loved the layout of the book, artwork, quotes and real life examples. Also a great help to me as I prepare my lesson on- what is grace - for the YW in my ward.
Lynn
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I will again and again and again--there is so much to absorb about the enabling power that we call grace.
Ashley
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, non-fiction
I'm pretty darn impressed with this little powerhouse of a book. Makes me want to read it again and do my own study of grace and the love the Savior has for all of us.
Danielle
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Short but filled with wonderful quotes and plenty to think about. Sherri Dew has done it again. I love her.
Tebafin
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
insightful and thought provoking - will probably reread again and again
Allyson
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just reread this book, it's been a few years. This has practical tools for accessing the grace of the Savior. Sheri Dew is inspiring. Loved every word.
Heather
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
I LOVED this book! It’s a short little book, but full of profound insights and truths that are fundamental to our eternal happiness. ;) But not just our eternal happiness, our happiness now! The gift and power of our Savior’s Atonement and the resulting grace He offers each of us is incredible! This little book helped me to think about that more clearly. I have a greater love for the Savior, a greater appreciation for covenants, a greater desire to study and learn about this power, and a greater ...more
Scribs
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Ultimately, for every once of us, the Savior is our only chance."

"This power is never dormant. It is not suddenly unleashed when we sin or need help. The flow of diving help is continuous, everywhere present, waiting for us to seek help."

Life changing book. If you don't understand Grace, you don't understand why we are here:

"if it were not for the grace of God, there would be nothing--no creation, no fall, no mortal probation, no atonement, no redemption, no immortality, no eternal life. It is
JaLee
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hands down one of my most favorite books, I have already read it twice and I have had it for a year or so. I love Sheri Dew she has a perspective that I wish I had about all things gospel related. This has become for me a reference book of sorts. It's full of great quotes that can stand on their own and of course the subject "grace" is something that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints haven't, until recently (the past several years), given a lot of attention to. She offer ...more
Jodi
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds
I've been anticipating this book for a while and received a copy for Christmas. I didn't realize it was such a short book--you can read it easily in one sitting. I also didn't realize that this book is just a copy of her well-known talk about grace put in book format. I read this same talk a while ago (in the BYU magazine, I think) and loved it so much that I tore it out of the magazine to save in my files. So at least now I have a much prettier and nicer copy of this talk to reference. It has s ...more
Granny
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm amazed by Sheri Dew. What a beautiful example of a righteous woman. She fills you up with love and appreciation for the Grace of God through her eloquent writing and speaking. If we could just keep that feeling with us every hour of every day, what a comfort and blessing it would be. She has not had a "piece of cake" life. We all have trials and most of us would not want to walk in another's shoes either. But I love where her heart is, in spite of life's many challenges and disappointments.
T.K.
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Sheri's insight and stories. I found myself stopping to memorize nuggets of wisdom throughout the book. The only disappointing part? This is really short! Shorter still as the page count includes a full-page meme for every three pages of writing. I really wanted more! I felt like I was just settling into really understand the topic when the book came to an abrupt end. :( Still worth reading of course, but I wish it were at least twice as long.
Jodi
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adore Sheri Dew! She is as gifted a writer as she is a speaker. This book is chockfull of insight, wisdom, and practical application. I love her humor and her willingness to share personal recollections. This is a book I will have to read over and over again. It is impossible to absorb it all in one reading!
Heather
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book though small is packed with some pretty amazing stuff! I picked it up because I love Sheri Dew and because it would be a quick read but got way more than I bargained for! I LOVE, love, loved this book. I feel I can now define what Grace is, I can say that I am edified by reading this book and have a greater appreciation and reverence for my Savoir and the gift of His grace.
Linda
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sherri Dew has a heart that speaks to mine. Having heard her speak many times I feel like I’m chatting with a friend every time I hear her voice. Grace can be a subject that is confusing, but Sister Dew hits the mark with this short book and has left me feeling capable and inspired!
Brittany Lesueur
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
Loved it. I would've enjoyed a little more depth, but it was a quick uplifting read.
Melissa
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
really easy quick read. I've read a couple books about Grace but this explains it the best! great book to understand a foggy topic
Angela
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Essential topic, written by Sheri Dew, who I love.
Gratefulscottie
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very simple read, yet so enjoyable.
Vickie
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although this is a short book, it takes some time to read - just going over and over the way Sheri puts words together. Definitely a book worth sharing and worth reading over and over.
Tosha
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A well thought out book, that simplifies the power of grace. After reading this I marked "grace" in my triple combination and wrote the word power in the margin. To help me remember.
Jenalyn
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent insights. Taken from her BYU Women's Conference address in 2014.
  • 21 Principles: Divine Truths to Help You Live By the Spirit
  • To My Friends
  • Consider the Blessings
  • The Light We Share
  • Habits of Happiness
  • Power to Become: Spiritual Patterns for Pressing Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ (Spiritual Patterns, #3)
  • I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B. Eyring
  • Angels: Agents of Light, Love, and Power
  • Falling to Heaven: The Surprising Path to Happiness
  • When You Can't Do It Alone
  • The Power of Everyday Missionaries
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation (Divine Guidance, #1)
  • A Single Voice
Sheri Dew graduated from Brigham Young University. She served as second counselor in the general Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1997 to 2002. In March 2003 the White House appointed her a member of the U.S. Delegation to the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations. In 2002, Sheri Dew became president and CEO of Deseret Book Company.
More about Sheri Dew

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“We can’t will it or gut it out through some kind of clenched-teeth self-discipline. But neither is it possible without our sincere, sustained effort, as Elder D. Todd Christofferson explained: “Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ and His grace, our failures to live the celestial law perfectly and consistently in mortality can be erased and we are enabled to develop a Christlike character. Justice demands, however, that none of this happen without our willing agreement and participation. It has ever been so. Our very presence on earth as physical beings is the consequence of a choice each of us made to participate in our Father’s plan. Thus, salvation is certainly not the result of divine whim, but neither does it happen by divine will alone.”55 Thus, if we are willing to yield to “the enticings of the Holy Spirit,” to stay on the covenant path, to hold tightly to the iron rod, and to partake of the fruit again and again, it is possible to put “off the natural man and [become] a saint through the atonement of Christ”56 and be transformed from fallen men and women riddled with faults into true disciples.” 0 likes
“Discipleship requires at least three things of us: first, coming to love the Lord more than we love anything in the world; second, experiencing a change of heart so that we have no “disposition to do evil, but to do good continually”57—which doesn’t mean we no longer make mistakes, it just means we don’t want to; and third, behaving like true followers.” 0 likes