Start by marking “Squadron Sinister: Warzones” as Want to Read:
Squadron Sinister: Warzones

Squadron Sinister: Warzones

(Squadron Sinister #1-4)

They're the WORLD'S GREATEST...VILLAINS. The SQUADRON SINISTER. And they're taking Battleworld by force in this Secret Wars tie-in for fans of crime epics like The Godfather, The Sopranos and Sons of Anarchy. But will controlling one Domain be enough for Hyperion and his gang?

COLLECTING: SQUADRON SINISTER, AVENGERS (1963) 69-70
Published December 22nd 2015 by Marvel Comics (first published November 17th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Squadron Sinister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Squadron Sinister

Jeff
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix

In this slice of Secret Wars/War Zones, Dr. Doom has set up an area controlled by rival supervillain gangs each vying for control of a larger “piece of the action”. The Squadron Sinister are the big guns who like to throw their weight around.

The Squadron Sinister, created by Roy Thomas and John Buscema were first featured back in Avengers #69 - #71 (issues #69 and #70 are reprinted in this volume) as a foil to the Avengers in a contest for ultimate control of the universe or something. The group
Terence
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
The Squadron Sinister is a powerful group of individuals that are conquering all corners of the Utopolis Battleworld by force.
description
Surprisingly the biggest threat to their power is each other.

From time to time I have wondered how Marvel or DC could get away with characters who are clearly copied from one another. Squadron Sinister is quite likely the most blatant copying I've ever seen. They are very clearly copied off of the Justice League.
description
What surprised me is that I actually really liked these evi
Paul E. Morph
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was one of the better Secret Wars tie-ins. The creative team took the opportunity of having a consequence-free sandbox to play in to create a smorgasbord of homages to a bunch of some of the Marvel Universe's more obscure corners... and even one love letter to the DC Universe.

(view spoiler)
Chad
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finally, something a little different in all these Warzones / Battleworlds tie-ins. Taking a page from Forever Evil over at the Distinguished Competition, The Squadron Sinister is another analogue to the Justice League, ala the Crime Syndicate. One area of Battleworld isn't enough for the Squadron and they are looking to grow their empire. At the same time, everyone is plotting behind Hyperian's back to take down the king. This book was such a refreshing change from the rest of the schlock Marve ...more
Mike
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Uncle Guggy. Mastermind of the Flarrowverse, the man who's brought more misery to superhero-TV-obsessed weenies like me than even the bastards who bullied me in grade school.

So why am I subjecting myself to this? One, it ranks among "My Favourite Secret Wars Comics" on the ComicHerald guide, and two, enough of my friends here on GoodReads haven't shat on it, so I felt pretty safe in the encounter. How much could The G-Meister possibly do to intentionally inflict pain on his poor embattled reader
Alan
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I've pretty much been a sucker for these characters since their first couple of appearances (yeah, I'm that old). Plus, I felt this was pretty solid creative team so I broke my promise to myself to pass on just about every Secret Wars mini-series and read this one.

And, it was pretty much what I expected. It is not a great story, but for long-time comic fans there are plenty of Easter Eggs to play with. In what I consider a non-spoiler way there are some familiar trophies in the Squadron's headqu
David
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
The Squadron Sinister Warzones story is okay for villain story. Was expecting something a bit better. Looks great though. The classic reprints from the 60's Avengers are wonderful but they end in cliff-hanger. Not sure why they didn't include the final chapter to the story. Very irritating that.
Sonic
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well isn't this a nice and dark lil' surprise!
The art is serviceable and not too impressive,
but the story is so great that it did not matter to me.

Loved it.
Maria Kramer
I like this volume! A supervillain team schemes and backbites each other into oblivion. A sort of high-color take on a noir/crime story. Quite fun.
Alex E
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a really entertaining read. However I'd be remiss to not say that its basically the "Earth2" story from DC that Grant Morrison wrote.

At times, I had to kind of remind myself that I wasn't reading that book.

Essentially, it's the story of what would happen if the Justice League was evil. As you may imagine, there is not much we or anyone else can really do. The only way for them to be defeated is from within. Which with a group as rotten as these people, of course was going to happen.

T
Matt
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Collects Squadron Sinister issues #1-4 and Avengers (1963) issues #69-70

This story is set during the events of "Secret Wars," however it doesn't tie into "Secret Wars" in such a way that makes it required reading for that series. With that being said, the story in this collection could only take place within the Battleworld of the 2015 "Secret Wars."

The Squadron Sinister is made up of analogues of DC Comics' Justice League characters. Here is the roster within these pages:

Hyperion (like Superman
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Guggenheim makes good use of the Battleworld by mixing together the Squadron Sinister with the New Universe, and even giving cameos to the JMS Squadron Supreme and the Shadowline of all things! It's a fun and nostalgic mismatch.

The story itself is strong too, with the focus on the Squadron Sinister being a bunch of backstabbing creeps. It's behavior that's too often ignored in villain comics, and I was pleased to see it here.

Is this a very important story in the big picture? Probably not, pendin
Rigoberto
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of the best tie-ins to Secret Wars in my opinion. The story is intriguing, as well as the behavior of the Squadron Sinister. The easter eggs to the DC universe are pretty good, especially in the last few pages. The art was well, and the ending does leaving you thinking, especially the quote.
Ed
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Overall, a pretty fun story that largely stands alone from Secret Wars except for the weak ending. I really enjoyed the villainous palace intrigue of the first three issues but it fizzled out in issue 4.
Jacobi
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: trades-read
I am a sucker for evil analogs to the JLA stories, but because of that I feel like I've seen this story done better many times.
Scott
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I suppose this is supposed to be Shakespeare'ian, but I just kept thinking to myself "Are these guys supposed to be the Marvel version of Justice League? I mean, just look at 'em!"
Earl
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
It appears that this group is quite likeable.
Mike McDevitt
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ever wonder whose dingus is biggest in the Justice Lea... Uh, Squadron Sinister or New Universe? Me neither. Excellent art, though.
Timothy Boyd
Nov 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Good mini series of an alternate world in the Marvel Mulitverse. Nice art and story makes it an entertaining read. Recommended
Thomas Maluck
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
If Multiversity* can have the not-Avengers, then why not feature the not-Justice-League in Secret Wars?

*Gimme Multiversity over Convergence and Secret Wars any day...
Lukas Holmes
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great art, terrific stand-alone story.
Brian
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I enjoyed returning to the Squadron world, but sad that the team I liked was the first one killed.
Carmelo
Apr 30, 2016
Ron
Mar 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Squadron Sinister (4 books)
  • Squadron Sinister #1