Start by marking “Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 3

Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 3

(Alias (2001) (Single Issues) #16-21)

As a costumed adventurer, Jessica Jones was plagued by a lack of self-esteem and an inability to master her superhuman powers. Eventually she realized that she would forever be considered a second-rate super hero, and hung up her cape and tights. Now a tough-as-nails private investigator, Jessica returns home to find a mysterious girl in a costume hiding in her apartment, ...more
Published December 8th 2015 by Marvel (first published June 24th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Jessica Jones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jessica Jones

Anne
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
It feels like we're working up to something good.
Not that volume 3 isn't pretty fantastic on its own, but there's just this feeling that Bendis is about to pull the curtain back for the big reveal soon.

description

Ok, so in #10 Jessica pulls one over on J. Jonah Jameson after he hires her to find out Spider-man's identity. That issue is written in script form with pretty watercolor art and was well worth the read. Also, the story plays into what happens in the main storyline of this volume.

description

I loved the way B
Kemper
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The thing about being a Marvel fan is that I’ve been reading their comics off-and-on since I was a kid in the ‘70s, usually see their movies in the theaters a couple of times each, and watch all their TV shows. (Not just the Netflix ones either. I’m talking both Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter.) Yet there can still be a moment while I’m reading one of their books that I'll scratch my head and wonder who the hell Mattie Franklin is and when exactly was there a third Spider-Woman? *sigh* Well, t ...more
Bradley
J. J. gets a nice role in these, and god I love what Jessica does to him. :)

Never read anything about the Spider-Women before, any incarnation, so this is all new to me. It's just a shame that the kid had to be such a damsel for so much of the story, not that Jessica ain't a hell of a good knight, of course. :)

I'm loving the slow reveals. Some characters like to be out there and be free to understand, but not Jessica. No, no. Not her. :) Damn the tights. Can't believe she poo-poo'd on She-Hulk,
Sesana
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt, the best volume so far. This would be a must-read if only for the first issue: Jessica meets JJJ, and cons him into paying her $200 an hour to read to orphans. And it's glorious. I read it two days ago and I'm still laughing. One of the single best issues of anything I've ever read. Even if the rest of the book sucked, I'd probably still give the whole four stars on the strength of that one single issue.

But the rest of the book does not in any way, shape, or form suck. It's abou
Paz R.M.
''And what did she look like?
JJ: Like Spider-Man with little tits. It was creepy, Scott.
SL: I hate those female versions of already established male--
JJ: Ugh-- I know. Like She-Hulk.
SL: Jennifer's cool.
JJ: Whatever.''

4.5 Stars

Alias, Vol. 3 collects issues 10, 16-21. When I picked up the second volume I was a little angry 'cause why wasn't issue 10 there, huh? Yeah, I get it now. What a great, amazing issue and it fits in the overall storyline here.

Now, issue 10 was a different experience. It re
Renata
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would read an entire volume that was just Jessica scamming J. Jonah Jameson, for the record, but the rest of the plot was killer also. <3
Sud666
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I have always been a fan of Bendis. He has written some damn good comics. The two star rating is not a result of bad writing. It's a direct result of a very simple concept-I just do not like Jessica Jones. I didn't like her in the tv shows and I don't like her in the comics. I don't like the fact that she is super powered but doesn't ever act that way. I have no idea what her story is, I have no idea why she is the way she is and I have no idea why she is so goddamn annoying. If your "perfect" w ...more
James DeSantis
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Man I do not want this to end. It's so f'ing good.

So Jessica comes home one day to meet Mattie who is this girl dressed up in a Spider-man costume (with itty bitty tits as Jessica says) and just jumps out of a window and is gone. Jessica gets down to finding out who she is and what's happening and it's truly fucking sad and interesting throughout. I read this in two sitting one I could have read it in one. It never misses a beat.

Ant-man (Scott Lang) and Jessica relationship is the only thing t
Mike
Everybody's a smart ass here in Bendis' world:

This is actually a good story, some setbacks and emotional investment and not a ton of emotional jerking around - just grey people doing their second-best to muddle through doing something so they don't feel like a complete loser. Ain't positivity grand?

I'm pretty OK with this volume. Even the deformed art.

You want to know what I think is the best part of this book? You do, don't you? (No, not you. Well, probably none of you, but play along with me
David Schaafsma
My favorite of the three volumes thus far, which is I guess an argument for reading a whole series! Strong women characters, one of them, Jessica Jones, a former superhero now private investigator, and two current superheroes, one of them in dire peril… Very gritty, with plenty to keep you turning the pages. There's a complicated plot involving a newspaper editor who hates superheroes who hires Jessica to find out the true identity of Spiderman, who gets punk'd by Jessica in the process, and thi ...more
Roy
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bendis makes the simple so much more interesting and intriguing. Genius writer.
Melania &#x1f352;
3,5/5
What a pleasant surprise!Just when I was ready to give up Jones. Pretty good story, strong female characters , some dark, messed -up elements ; that’s the way to go 😊
Damon
Aug 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a bit shit. More dreary experimental dialogue: Bendis style.
Max's Comic Reviews and Lists
”We have a page one problem shut up!”
Aight so the third volume in Bendis’ esteemed Alias is definitely the darkest. Holy shit some gruesome as shit stuff happens in this book man. This is the first storyline I can see some actual crazy ass creativity. This is probably my least favourite volume so far, but it was still a very very entertaining story that features a very moody version of our main protagonist.

Jessica Jones is a little unhinged in this one guys. And understandably so, but Jessica
Scott Rhee
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
In “Alias: Jessica Jones, Vol. 3”, Jessica manages to royally piss off Editor-in-Chief of The Daily Bugle, J. Jonah Jameson (although that’s not hard to do), until a girl named Mattie, dressed as Spider-woman, shows up in her bathroom one night and scares the shit out of her. Scott Lang (a.k.a Ant-man) and Jessica are doing the nasty, until Jessica tells him to stop so she can tell him a lot of flashback stuff that involves some old lady named Madame Web that can read minds and sees a lot of dar ...more
Stacy Fetters
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Jessica Jones is a complete badass. She'll piss on your head and tell you it's raining.
This volume had it all and is my absolute favorite so far.
I think I found my new spiritual guru!
Scott
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'JJ' rebounds - although I don't mean to make Vol. 2 sound that bad, but Vol. 1 was better - to work another unusual missing-person case, this time back on the mean streets of the Big Apple, with some unlikely connections and assistance. While still keeping one foot in a Chandleresque atmosphere (and our godfather of hard-boiled P.I. fiction is referenced by name in dialogue - love it!) I'd argue she now also enters into some Robert Crais-style plotting as well. Bonus - an opening short-story, f ...more
Mariana
I loved this! I know I haven’t read the first two parts, but this was the only JJ comic I could find. It was amazing anyway and I enjoyed every single minute I spent reading it. Hopefully I’ll find some more JJ comics to buy soon. Can’t wait for more!
Fizzgig76
Reprints Alias #10 and #16-21 (August 2002-June 2003). Jessica Jones returns home to find a girl in her apartment, dressed as Spider-Man, and who flees when she realizes she doesn’t know her. Jessica learns that the girl is Mattie Franklin, the third Spider-Woman, and that she is in trouble. This is complicated by the fact that Mattie is the foster daughter of J. Jonah Jameson who already has a rocky past with Jessica. Now Jessica must set out to free Mattie from the group using her and it bring ...more
Althea J.
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doing a re-read of Alias, one of my top five favorite series ever, gearing up for the Jessica Jones show on Netflix. These are from the story “The Underneath” and are just the tip of the iceberg of what I love about this series… everything from the unbelievable art and cover art, to the phenomenal pacing that is established by the page layout, to the humor and attitude of Ms. Jones herself.

(if these images don't show up well, check out my tumblr post of this review to see them in their full glor
Roxana Chirilă
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give it something like 3.5 stars rather than 4, but a lot of people here are saying that Alias, Vol. 3 is better than volumes 1 and 2, and, as far as I'm concerned, they're right.

The characters are fleshed out better. It's no longer assumed that we know everybody by name and reputation, the way I assumed it was supposed to go when we saw Captain America in Vol. 1. Nor are things too rushed through for us to get to know anyone well.

This time, Spirdergirl, *cough*, sorry, Spider Woman, is som
Artemy
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, comics, marvel
Very intense read. The best volume so far. Love this series.
Anna
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I am now obsessed with jessica jones.
Ryan Hixson
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jessica Jones: Alias Volume 3 collects issue 10 and 16-21 it adds an extra issue than the previous volume. This novel is more but kicking than the previous issues Jessica fights and sometime gets her ass kicked. They made a smart move by inserting issue 10 into this one since it plays so heavily into the the 16 -21 issue mystery. I did not like it as much as the last volume, but I did like the big multi-issue mystery a lot more, but the dialogue wasn't as sharp. The cool thing about this volume ...more
Vít Kotačka
The strongest volume of this 4-part series. This really hit my soft spot. Jessica is consistently excellently written character - she's one of the best comics characters I've lately met. No kidding, I bought all her books in advance, so I will know everything about her.

This time, there was the strongest plot as well - about an abused teenage girl. I know, what do you think - but she's not sexually abused, it's because of her blood, (view spoiler)
Madeline O'Rourke
Volume 3 of Jessica Jones: Alias is wonderful! Easily my favourite volume so far.

Between Jessica Jones, Jessica Drew, and J Jonah Jameson, the cast was a lot of fun. I really don't know much about Jessica Drew, but I loved her in this, she looks fucking cool, and I'd love to read more about her. The character interactions were varied and interesting, particularly with the way this volume plays with formatting. The spreads that alternated between dialogue and Jessica's thoughts were really cool.
Flo
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Like a lot of people, this was my favorite volume of Alias - it was dark, gritty, and really focused on more small-time ways that someone can be a superhero as opposed to saving the world. I really enjoyed the hints to a darker past, which will segue nicely into the next volume that explores Jessica's history, and I also really liked how the crime she was trying to solve here really resonated with her and her history, which I think made it much more personal and intense. I also continue to love ...more
C. Varn
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bendis is on the top of his game here and does a lot with the superhero elements of Alias that the show didn't. The arc involving Spiderwoman treats the Avengers realistically as does Jones's relationship with Ant Man play relationship dymanics in a believable away. This does suffer from late 90s/ early aughts chatty dialogue that can sometimes feel forced, but paired with Michael Gaydos's New York, this ages surprisingly well despite that.
Katbyrdie
Feb 12, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish-or-skimmed
Blah. This series is disappointing. The first issue in this volume was in a weird format and slightly hard to read. I'll stick with the tv show.
S.
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this more than the first 2 volumes, though I still prefer the Netflix show.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Astro City, Vol. 3: Family Album
  • X-Factor, Vol. 2: Life and Death Matters
  • Young Avengers, Volume 2: Family Matters
  • Hawkeye, Volume 5: All-New Hawkeye

Alias (2001) (Single Issues) (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Alias (2001-2003) #1