Start by marking “Stay Me, Oh Comfort Me: Journals and Stories, 1933-1941” as Want to Read:
Stay Me, Oh Comfort Me: Journals and Stories, 1933-1941

Stay Me, Oh Comfort Me: Journals and Stories, 1933-1941

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  106 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The second volume of reminiscences by one of America's best-loved writers, now in paperback. The book reveals Fisher's "magnificent resilience, the comfort she took from daily writing, her marvelous powers of observation and humor, and, of course, her lifelong attractions to good food and drink."--San Francisco Chronicle.
Published January 24th 1995 by Pantheon (first published November 23rd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Stay Me, Oh Comfort Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay Me, Oh Comfort Me

Elizabeth
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-wine
Sadly M.F.K Fisher destroyed a huge amount of her writing—almost everything she had—sometime, I believe, in the 40s, and it would have shed a lot more light on her fascinating and complex life and relationships. However, the 3-volume set of journals and papers, of which this is one, are very helpful in addressing our need to know more about the mysterious MFK. As always, the writing is wonderful. This book covers one of the most turbulent emotional periods for her.
Alison
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love MFK Fisher and this collection of journals is much more personal than others. It's a lot about her marriage and the health of her husband. I love hearing about what it was like to be in California in the late '30s and '40s before WWII. She talks a lot about different houses that they build or renovate and that is fascinating too.
Mycala
Oct 19, 2016 added it
I couldn't bring myself to finish this one, so I won't rate it. It was too heartbreaking for me. I do love her writing, but this one I couldn't do. At least not at this point in my life. Perhaps later.
Libuse
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
MFK Fisher’s account of the early years of her life, first during her ill-fated marriage to Alfred Fisher, and then to her mortally ill second husband, Dillwyn Parrish, is a brave account of both a privileged and tormented life. Fisher, best known for her work as a travel and food writer, allows the readers a glimpse into her early years, with regard to both her relationships with her family and both of her husbands. Although her volumes of published work speak to her accomplishments as a writer ...more
Alan
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting, but I found her to be a bit spoiled and quite catty about the people she was describing. Interesting time period at the end of the depression and during the start of WWII. The section about the illness and suicide of her second husband was a bit better. For someone who is renowned as a food writer, she writs remarkably little about food.
Eden
Feb 24, 2009 rated it liked it
I preferred reading MFK's books of letters, or stories, separately. I had a hard time getting into the flow of the book. But reading a mish-mash of her work was an interesting idea; seeing how her life at that moment in time affected her art, and how her art seemed to be such a lifeline when time's were tough.
Laurie
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I read more than half of it but couldn't finish it. Overall, I find her an interesting person and enjoy reading about her life and times, but this book got too depressing and seemed disjointed with the occasional stories thrown in.
Fishface
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
I loved this one. It explained all the underpinnings of my favorite MFK Fisher memoir ("The Gastronomical Me") and told me so many things I wanted to know about her real life. Lovingly told by her family.
Dottie
Sep 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Fisher's writing simply put is mesmerizing for me -- I love reading her books -- feel as if she's someone who would have been interesting to know -- feel I know her from what she gives the reader of her works.
Gloria
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I purchased this book on impulse, mainly because I have admired her writing, but knew nothing about her.

Quite moving.

Barbara Rice
Apr 28, 2009 rated it liked it
So much sadness in one life.
Robin Ryan
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books-read
I love a good personal journal read, and this was a good one. MFK Fisher's life was interesting and she wrote it down with honesty and beauty.
Kiki
Oct 22, 2017
Cynthia Nims
Dec 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher was a prolific and well-respected writer, writing more than 20 books during her lifetime and also publishing two volumes of journals and correspondence shortly before her death in 1992. Her first book, Serve it Forth, was published in 1937. Her books deal primarily with food, considering it from many aspects: preparation, natural history, culture, and philosophy. Fisher ...more
More about M.F.K. Fisher

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99