Start by marking “Lola Levine Is Not Mean!” as Want to Read:
Lola Levine Is Not Mean!

Lola Levine Is Not Mean!

(Lola Levine #1)

Lola loves writing in her diario and playing soccer with her team, the Orange Smoothies. But when a soccer game during recess gets "too competitive," Lola accidentally hurts her classmate Juan Gomez. Now everyone is calling her Mean Lola Levine!

Lola feels horrible, but with the help of her family and her super best friend, Josh Blot, she learns how to navigate the second g
Published November 3rd 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Wendi Lee
When second-grader Lola accidentally kicks Juan while playing soccer, her classmates give the nickname, "Mean Lola Levine." Lola feels badly about hurting Juan, and apologizes, but her apology doesn't stop the teasing.

Lola's a strong, well-rounded character. She has very strong likes and dislikes, and doesn't want to bow to peer pressure (like the belief that girls and boys can't be friends). I think this is a great introduction to chapter books, with an appealing female protagonist.
Sarah Mcauliffe
Lola is a rambunctious second grader. She is tough on the outside but has a kind heart, especially toward her first grade brother. She is wild about soccer and kittens. Lola's troubles begin when she kicks another player instead of kicking the ball. She earns the nickname "Mean Lola Levine". Lola is truthful and honest to her parents, who think the Principals punishment is too harsh. I would like to have seen the parents show concern for the boy who was injured. The story is told from Lola's per ...more
Teddi Eberly
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lola is a great character that kids are sure to relate to. She has spunk! Her biracial family is also a great addition to the world of kid lit.
Maggie Elizabeth
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crf, diverse-books
Lola Levine: Is Not Mean
By Monica Brown
Illustrated by: Angela Dominguez

Experience the drama filled and busy life of second grader Lola Levine by stepping into her shoes! Lola Levine: In Not Mean is the first book in a series about a soccer loving and letter writing girl name Lola. This work of contemporary realistic fiction was written by multi award-winning children’s book author Monica Brown. Brown is known for writing about diverse multi-ethnic and families. Her writing is accompanied with pi
Ms. Yingling
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lola LOVES soccer, so she is very distraught when she accidentally tackles a classmate too hard at recess and gets banned from playing. SHe also has to deal with Alyssa, who is not very nice, and starts to make fun of Lola and call her mean. Lola is also very artistic (like her ponytailed father) and a writer (like her mother). She has other adventures in the book, like trying to comb her younger brother's wild hair, and helping with an escaped guinea pig. Eventually, she tells her parents about ...more
Tonika
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: traditional-lit
This book was a great one I enjoyed it and can relate to it. I feel like at one point in your life you are going to experience bullying or have already. In this story Lola was bullied because she made a mistake and hurt someone at school while playing soccer and everyone started called her mean. Lola was able to reach out to her parents about the situation and they were going to reach out to the principal, but instead Lola decided to write a letter to the principal because she was punished for a ...more
Rachel❤️
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Lola Levine Is Not Mean" is a great book. (It's a little short though.) I've never really written a book review, so I'll do my best. It's funny, it's clever, it's very realistic, and has a good plot. To me, it shows that there are misunderstandings, but most of the time the knots get worked out and everything's alright in the end. Again, awesome book.
Eric
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good early chapter books are hard to find. This is a good one even if it contains soccer (ie the dumbest sport in the world).
Elizabeth
This would make a great addition to any chapter book collection! Lola is a great character with an awesome family. I’m trying to add more girl sports books to our collection and this ticks that box perfectly too (I had some requests for books about soccer and Alex Morgan from a couple of my second grade girls a few weeks ago).

What I liked best about the sports aspect was that while it drove the plot with Lola accidentally hurting a classmate’s ankle during a recess game of soccer, the real focus
Juliann Strieter
Source: Teacher recommendation, Book Club book

Lola Levine Is Not Mean, written by Monica Brown and illustrated by Angela Dominguez is a humorous, realistic fiction that draws the attention of many young readers. This text also includes three others in the series: Lola Levine: Drama Queen; Lola Levine and the Ballet Scheme; and Lola Levine meets Jelly and Bean.

Lola Levine, a young protagonist who is just a typical 2nd grader would rather "jump on the bed than go to bed". In this text, she also
Dulce
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lola Levine is a 2nd grade, competitive soccer player that loves soccer and to write! She writes in her diario as well as letters to those around her. Even though her mom is Catholic and her dad is Jewish, Lola does not consider herself half-and-half. She likes to describe herself as whole, the way her parents told her she was.
Lola doesn't have many friends at school, except for Josh Blot, the principal's son. One day, Lola accidentally hurts a classmate during recess while playing soccer and n
Ruth Ann
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Lola Levine series and it is a strong start. Lola breaks all stereotypes, from her dual multi-ethnic heritage, to her competitive, soccer-loving heart. She eats Matzo ball soup, wears her favorite Peruvian hat with ear flaps, and speaks Spanish with her mother.
One of my favorite parts of the story is that Lola is writes notes to her family and friends, especially when she is upset or is trying to "be convincing". She writes to her parents to express her longing to o
Kate
Third-grader Lola Levine is excitable, outspoken, and full of energy! She loves playing soccer and loves her Jewish-Peruvian heritage even more. But sometimes being an excitable, outspoken, energetic kid can catch up to you - like when Lola accidentally causes her classmate to twist an ankle during a recess soccer game. How can Lola ever lose the nickname "Mean, Mean Lola Levine" now?

A multicultural early chapter book about sports that stars a girl? I was intrigued from the start and requested i
Martha
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
2nd grader Lola Levine who is half Peruvian and Half Jewish is an amazing, competitive soccer player.
In a soccer game, she accidentally hurts an opponent badly. All of the kids except her friend Josh, who happens to be the principal's son, shun her calling her "Mean Lola Levine."Even the principal forbids her from playing any sports at recess, a favorite activity for Lola. Finally confessing her dilemma to her understanding parents, she decides to write the principal a letter explaining what hap
Emma Lesko
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books
Lola Levine is a second-grader who loves soccer. She’s crestfallen when she accidentally fouls a playmate and gets banned from playing. To make matters worse, she earns a reputation at school for being mean. She’s a strong, fully-fleshed out character with a multi-cultural background that comes across and authentic and interesting. I love how she seamlessly drops in Spanish and Hebrew words conversationally, and how her family meals blend influences in what sounds like a delicious way.

I think m
Elissa Schaeffer
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Lola loves soccer but when her competitive side causes her to accidentally hurt a classmate during a recess game, she feels terrible! Now, thanks to mean-girl Alyssa, everyone is calling her "Mean, Mean Lola Levine." How can she make this better?

I really liked that Lola (eventually) brought her parents into her situation and that together they helped her figure out what to do. I also really liked Lola's pride in her Peruvian-Jewish heritage, which was made all the more authentic because that is
Angela
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
You know what kind of girl you've got on your hands when she narrates using the phrase "in my opinion". Her hurtful misbehavior in this welcome new chapter book turns into a new friendship, so rest-assured things come out on top for Lola. Her parents (Peruvian Chicken, Matzo Ball Soup) are a microcosm of a diverse set of characters. The spanish phrases throughout and love of soccer make this a great addition to latino interest lists, but the real appeal is in the "Clementine-like" lead role of L ...more
Cheriee Weichel
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like Lola a lot! She epitomizes much of what we want for our children. She's an athlete and a writer. Lola has some pretty cool parents too. When Lola ends up accidentally hurting someone during a soccer game, she does her best to make amends.
I have two quibbles with this book. First, I was uncomfortable with the mean girl cliche. Second, what's with this liking of boys and or girls in that way in kindergarten and or grade two?
Julie
Sep 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Lola Levine has a pretty standard real-life early chapter book plot - school, friends, family. They're all starting to feel the same to me. She is a little exceptional in that she has Peruvian ancestry and speaks some Spanish. I also liked that she stood up for herself (with the help of her mom) with another adult.

Her character is not sassy, but like so many others, knows her mind and finds herself in trouble sometimes. A good series for kids who like soccer.
Robin
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter, read-in-2016
This book is 900 times less annoying than most early chapter books with female protagonists. Lola is thoughtful without being flawless, playful, likes sports, has a male best friend, and has a range of interests and friends. The book also features diverse characters without using stereotypes or emphasizing it.
Ana
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A story that can resonate with any age girl who enjoys writing in her diary! Lola is a soccer player who takes competition to far and accidentally hurts another player. She must write an apology letter .The story is about more than just Lola not being mean its about friendship and learning to say sorry!
Mary Ann
Lola's personality shines through in this series opener, as she apologizes to a classmate after fouling her in a soccer match. Although some kids tease her, calling her Mean Lola Levine, she shows them that she can be a Soccer Queen. Her bicultural family--Jewish, Peruvian--is an important source of humor and delightful inspiration.
Abby Johnson
Lola Levine is artistic, sporty, and she pretty much doesn't care what other people think. But when she accidentally hurts a classmate playing soccer at recess, the meanest girl in her class starts calling her MEAN Lola Levine. Can Lola convince her classmates that she's not mean?!

This is a sweet, fun story featuring a diverse family.
Bev
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I am always in search of decent early chapter books and this one fits the bill. Young students can relate to Lola Levine's dilemmas and there are lessons to be learned from her mistakes. She's a spunky character with great appeal, especially to my girls who love soccer. I also appreciate a book with a young Hispanic protagonist. I hope there will be more in this series!
Great Books
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ages-5-8
Meet Lola Levine in this first book in a series. When a recess soccer game gets too competitive and her classmates begin calling her Mean Lola Levine, Lola’s parents and her best friend Josh help turn the situation around.
Reviewer 1
Carrie Gelson
So much I love about this character and her family! The friendship dynamics ring true but the "like" liking of boys and girls in K and Grade 2 doesn't. These part of the stories are off putting for me. The rest? Fantastic.
Rachel Rooney
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-book, 2016, fiction, jf
Very cute early chapter book about a half-Jewish, half-Peruvian girl and her family and friends. Appropriate for kids just getting into chapter books.

Lola loves soccer, has a little brother, and her best friend is a boy.
Sarah Hannah
This is adorable, and I'm so glad I was right guessing that this would be a great book to pair with Ramona Quimby, age 8 for my children's literature class.
Kate
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2nd-3rd graders
Good early chapter book starring a soccer-loving girl who runs into trouble at school when her competitiveness gets the better of her.
Tracie
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-reader, j, all, realistic
Dolores Levine, or Lola, is the soccer queen of second grade though sometimes her competitiveness gets in the way.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Dory Fantasmagory
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Penguin Problems (The Life of Ty, #1)
  • Mango, Abuela, and Me
  • Starring Jules: As Herself (Starring Jules, #1)
  • Finding Fortune
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu, #2)
  • Waylon! One Awesome Thing (Waylon! Book 1)
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • The Family Fletcher Takes Rock Island (Family Fletcher, #2)
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • Weekends with Max and His Dad
  • Jimmy the Greatest!
  • Eva's Treetop Festival (Owl Diaries, #1)
  • The Herd Boy
  • The Buried Bones Mystery (Ziggy and the Black Dinosaurs, #1)
Monica Brown, Ph.D. is the author of awardwinning bilingual books for children, including My Name Is Celia: The Life of Celia Cruz/Me llamo Celia: La vida de Celia Cruz (Luna Rising), a recipient of the Américas Award for Children's Literature and a Pura Belpré Honor. Her second picture book, My Name Is Gabriela: The Life of Gabriela Mistral/Me llamo Gabriela: La vida de Gabriela Mistral (Luna Ris ...more

Lola Levine (6 books)