Start by marking “Starting with the Unexpected” as Want to Read:
Starting with the Unexpected

Starting with the Unexpected

Zachary Blaise is having a weird week—even by his standards. Though he's gay, the radio personality has been dumped via text by a girl named Marian—and he's never even met her. On top of that, he's developed a massive crush on Marcus, the new waiter at his favorite diner. His best friend thinks the whole thing is hilarious.

Marcus’s week hasn’t been his best either. He's be
Published May 15th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Starting with the Unexpected, please sign up.
Andi Van I'm due to submit it this summer, per my schedule with DSP. :)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Starting with the Unexpected was a sweet read with a really interesting premise. I sort of adore books that start with a mix-up (like thinking that the person that you are texting is a girl instead of a guy) and lead to something more. It is a fun way to start a story, but unfortunately for me, the fun just seemed to taper off from there.

This was my first time reading a book from this author, and I think that Andi Van shows real promise. The writing and dialogue flowed well, and it was an easy
Trisha Harrington
Starting with the Unexpected was a really good read for me. The blurb was the first thing that drew me to this. It sounded interesting, and I wondered how the whole Marcus/Marian thing would work out and if it would be dragged out for way too long. And for that, I’m really glad, because it made it easier to root for the couple, Zachary and Marcus.

The drama with Marcus’ ex and family was just… wow. I was hoping someone would be a little nicer than the younger sister. But nope. That didn’t happen.
Line
This is probably a 3.79 rounded up...

Let me just say: the humor, was SPOT ON! My favourite author is T.J. Klune; he can make me laugh like no one else, and it is rare that I find another author that makes me laugh like that.
This book though, this book was goddamn close!

Let me just start with this:
"Go fuck yourself," I told him with a glower. The effect was ruined by the fact that I was blushing, but, oh well.
"Zachary," my mother scolded. "Manners."
"Oh, right. Sorry. Please go fuck yourself," I a
BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

These are the four things you should know before you begin this story:

1. It's wildly entertaining as hell in a soap opera kind of way. Dramatic, suspenseful, funny, with a touch of hurt/comfort.

2. Zach, Marcus, Jordan, and Zach's mom are reason enough to listen to this. I loved these characters and the narration brings them to life.

3. Jonathan David brings all the snark, sarcasm, humor, hurt, comfort, and drama of the story out beautifully. Kudos on the narration!

4. Whether you read or listen t
Justin
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a bit of a melodrama. It had a soap opera-like feel to it. I don't mean that to be taken in a negative way. The writing was good and the story was very entertaining so it was an enjoyable book. Also, I'd read more from this author.
Tess
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SO MANY happy feelings for this one. I had a grin on my face most of the way through! If you like light, funny, sweet, and feel good you'll probably like this one. This was told in Zach's POV and I adored him. I wanted to be best friends with him and Jordan (the awesome straight room mate) but I also wanted to be Marcus so I could be Zach's boyfriend. Zach's parents were terrific, especially his mom -- I loved when she let the foul mouth out near the end! The romance is sweet, with some sexy mom ...more
Anke
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
The blurb was a bit confusing, thankfully the story was not.
Nope, liked it a whole lot!
The epilogue wasn't one, but just a continuation of chapter 20.
Joyfully Jay
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jason
A Joyfully Jay review.

I must say that you would be hard pressed to find a more interesting and fun cast of characters in a book. Zach was priceless and being the sarcastic SOB that I am, I found that I could relate to him with ease. Marcus was a super sweet guy, but not so sweet as to be unrealistic. The chemistry between Zach and Marcus felt genuine and I liked that it developed slowly, so slowly that Jordan was convinced that Zach and Marcus had been in a relationship for weeks befor
⚣Michaelle⚣
4 Stars

Listening to this was an entertaining experience; like watching a night-time soap opera. Dramatic and sexy...but also funny at times. Jonathan David did a great job with the narration.
Pixie
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
It’s never really a great sign when you start looking for something else to read while reading something. This book wasn’t bad. It was actually very cute with very sweet characters who met in a really charming way. But all the stalkerish drama of the ex’s and family read like a teenage soap opera. I felt like if the author just wanted to write a drama free lovefest that would have been fine, but no throwing that drama in had me annoyed and distracted.
Victoria  love books
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-mm, mm
Overall book rating: 3.8 Stars
Audio book: Narrator - Jonathan David - 4 Stars
Book Cover: 3 Stars
MC1: Zachary Blaise - Raidio personality
MC2: Marcus - Waiter

It started out with a crazy day... First Zachary received a text message that was not mend for him and he thought it was a girl it terns out to be Marcus and no girl.

There's a lot of CRAZY happening in this book, so if you are in the mood for crazy give this a go LOL
Morgan  Skye
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Zachary Blaise is a twenty-something radio personality for a late-night LGBTQ talk show. He’s snarky and funny and self effacing and currently single! He mistakenly intercepts a text meant for someone’s boyfriend who cheated on them with the other person’s sister so Zach assumes it’s a girl and that is supported by the texter’s name – Marian.

Marian and Zach end up texting one another several times a day for a few weeks, becoming friends of a sort. When Zach meets Marcus, a cute new waiter at his
Michele Fogal
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-romance
I really enjoyed this book! I've never read any Andi Van before so when I was offered an ARC, I had no idea what to expect! "Starting with the Unexpected" was... unexpectedly lovely!

The writing is smooth and warm, and the love story unrolls in a page turning fest of yum-yum-ness. Hmm, that could just be my experience of reading but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Loved the gender bending bits, both at the beginning and with the surprise ending. Nice little mystery going on in the background, but
Chanty
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: male-male
Nice and sweet, but unfortunately a little forgettable. They meet, they fall in love, they live happily ever after. Right from the beginning you get the feeling this isn't going to be too much drama. It is all fun and laughs. Then there is the crazy sister. She causes trouble, but it is resolved in the end. Even the smexy times are minimal. So no extra star for that. It is just a smooth ride. Maybe too smooth. On one side there is crazy family members, on the other side there are wonderful paren ...more
Evandro Roberto
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
4.5

Well, I definitely wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did.
The characters and the story had a really good development, considering it's only 200 pages.
It wall all so sweet since the beginning. The chemistry between them was great.
And when they said "I love you" for the first time?
I was like:
Candice
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't know what I was expecting with this story, but it turned out to be a lighthearted and fun read with very likeable characters. I liked how they met, it was different. Even the secondary characters were great.
Leaundra
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars...I really enjoy this book. I thought Zach and Marcus were so sweet together and I loved how they first met. I loved Zach's family and friends who he considered family, but Marcus' family was yeah, you have to read to find out...
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. Very cute, humorous read. Hoping there will be more about these characters :)
Lala
DNF at 17%.

Awkward, forced, cheesy dialogues never do it for me.
Dana
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Reviewed for Rainbow Gold Reviews. 9/10 pots of gold. A copy was received in exchange for an honest review.

After reading the blurb, I have to admit, I was downright confused at what was going to happen in this book.It ended up being very unexpected as the title suggests. Starting with the Unexpected was a sweet but not sappy contemporary story that begins with misdialed texts and mistaken identities. I really enjoyed it.

There is little conflict between the main characters that stands in the wa
Okie
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've never read anything by this author, and I'll be the first to admit that I'll buy if I get bit by cover lust. I had insta-cover lust with this one. And the story- jazz hands!!!
Zach's my kinda guy. He's hilarious and snarky. Love me some sass. Marcus is the calm to Zachs hurricane, the sugar to Zachs sweet iced tea... y'all get where I'm goin with this. Two peas in a pod. They're perfect together. Wish I could pick 'em up and carry 'em in my pocket. I'm hoping Andi Van will give us lots more
Serith
Jul 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
We have a world record!! Quit this audiobook at 1:09 (min, not hrs). Why?? This lovely line:
"...and I certainly wouldn't ever sleep with anyone's sister. Ew."
Yup. The good 'ol gay-because-women-are-disgusting trope.

description
Sometimes I feel bad reviewing DFN books ...but I don't even feel a little guilty here. This is too common in m/m and I'm SICK OF IT.
Claire Potterton
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a lovely surprise. I haven't read anything from this author before, but certainly will again if the opportunity arises. A truly lovely romance, with a bit of drama and some beautifully done, steamy sex scenes. A great read
Andre
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
This was most enjoyable. I praise any author who writes gay fiction without falling into the pitfalls of degenerating into the physical aspects of a homosexual relationship. So I say thank you for creating fairly believable, loveable characters who show some development in their personalities. There is love, self-discovery, and growth within these words. It took me through a range of emotions on a fun journey wishing that life was actually this fun. I don't often enjoy gay fiction, but this was ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Audiobook provided through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

This audiobook was so good that I immediately bought all the books this author has written, and I’m about to head over to Audible to check out the narrator’s work.

Both the story and Jonathan David’s narration of it made me smile, laugh, and chuckle at the upbeat positive attitude of Zachary Blaise, a morning radio show personality. When the story opens, he receives a text from someone who is dumpi
Caroline Brand
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

4.5 Stars

Does the blurb confuse you? Yep, did me too but what a funny, quirky and unique way for two people to meet.

The fun and quirkiness is soon taken out of the situation though with the family from hell!!

Zachary and Marcus meet in the strangest of ways but both are at a point in their lives where they need something, and to begin with it is something as simple as friendship. They date without really dating but the only two people who aren’t aware that they are
Monika

**3.5 Stars

When I'm not in the mood to write a review the following says why I rated the book the way I did.....sort of. :P

5 Stars – Given to stories that had me falling in love with the characters or stories where I hated the characters but the author had me hooked. For stories that had me so engaged in the plot I couldn’t put the book down and stories that either made me cry buckets and/or laugh until I cried. In short…. these ones rocked my world!!!
4 Stars– Given to stories that I REALLY, R
AussieMum
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5- 4 stars This was a cute story. Definitely a nice easy read if you need a break from dark angsty stuff.

I loved how the narrator, Zach, had a clearly defined personality. He was smart, funny and had a really quick wit.
Marcus was also a nice character and I loved the mix up at the beginning that bought them together without any prolonged drama.
Zach's mum was also a great character. A true mama-bear. The best example I'll paste here made me snort with laughter.
“How on earth did you end up
Sandra
I really loved the tone of this book, and the narration fit it perfectly. Funny and sweet. The drama didn't overshadow the romance, and it wasn't a huge miscommunication or anything stupid like that. It was something outside our MC's that ended up bringing them closer together. The secondary secondary characters were great as well. I loved Zach's interactions with his best friend and with his family, the added stuff with his brother was really nice.

I don't have a ton to say, which, coming form m
Preston
Audiobook version.

Atypical M/M Romance in that there were no heaping helpings of endless sex every chapter. I would give it an extra star for not having an overdose of typical M/M erotica, but that would be rewarding it for doing something no M/M romance should ever do. There is still no plot nor high degree of entertainment value.

If I had to read the book instead of just listening while doing other activities I would not have read it but then that goes for almost every M/M romance I have listen
« previous 1 3 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Starting With the Unexpected by Andi Van 1 6 May 16, 2015 12:00AM

• Thirty Things
  • Immortal
  • A Bear Walks into a Bar (A Bear Walks into a Bar, #1)
  • When Adam Kissed Me (Inseparable, #2)
  • Jumping In (ALPHAS #6)
  • Slow Burn
  • For a Rainy Afternoon (Tales of the Curious Cookbook)
  • Never Met a Stranger
  • The Holiday Hoax
  • A Heart for Robbie
  • All That Shimmers (Piece Us Back Together)
  • Northern Star
  • Clarity of Lines (Thomas Elkin, #2)
  • Coffee Cake (Coffee Cake, #1)
  • Another Little Secret (Sandpipers, #1.5)
  • Snakes Among Sweet Flowers
  • Serenading Stanley (Belladonna Arms #1)
  • Please Remember Me
Andi Van is a foul-mouthed troublemaker who lives near San Diego with a baseball bat that's forever being used for things other than baseball and a fondness for rum and caffeine (though not necessarily together).

Andi is fluent in three languages (English, sarcasm, and profanity), and takes pride in a highly developed -- if somewhat bizarre -- sense of humor.

Andi's pronouns are they/them. They iden